• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your favorite types and what do you like about them?

What are your favorite types?

• Grass

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Water

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Fire

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Electric

• Normal

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dragon

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Fairy

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Fighting

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Dark

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Psychic

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Ghost

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Bug

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Flying

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Ground

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Rock

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Steel

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Poison

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Ice

• Total voters
Normal and Dark.
I love the diversity of these two types, I think my fondness of the types also comes from using them so much.
I've also become very fond of the Steel Pokemon more recently. Fairy types are pretty good too, but a lot of their designs are nothing interesting to me. Steel moves in general also seem pretty strong and just rather nice aesthetically.

I love Normal - as a type it's so arbitrary! What does it mean?!
Mostly I like it for only having one weakness.
And only having one resistance/immunity made it easy to use in those occasional Inverse Battles in Gen 6.

My favorites are Bug, Water, Dark, and Poison. These types usually have really cool Pokémon designs imo.

I like Grass, Fire, Psychic, and Fairy.

Grass is kind of that underdog type, because there are really few benefits to using it. But I still like it because I have a fondness for the aesthetics of flowers and plants. A lot of its Pokemon are also pretty and feminine, like Lilligant or Steenee. Before Gen 6, I always picked the Grass-type starter.

Fire I enjoy because it tends to have the most caninelike Pokemon within it, and some of the most graceful and beautiful designs such as Arcanine, Ninetales, and Braixen. Also, its attacks are so flashy and vividly powerful-looking. Flare Blitz both sounds and looks cool.

Psychic just feels powerful, much in the same way as Fire does. It has a variety of powerful attacks that just look and feel good. Like Psybeam, Psychic, Psyshock, etc. Not only that, but it has Reflect and Light Screen, which I love using to bolster my defenses. Although the design aesthetic of a lot of earlier Psychic-types is not really to my liking, I love the mystic feel of the type and its mental theme moreso than the Pokemon that are actually a part of it.

Fairy to me is basically like Psychic-type, but more feminine. It is mystical and pretty, and involves the moon. I like celestial themes and aesthetics. Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam are such flashy attacks that feel good to use. It's also a very useful and powerful type, able to counter the annoyance Dragons have presented for a long time. There are a few beautiful ladylike designs in it too. For instance, Primarina, Florges, and Gardevoir.

The Dragon type is my favourite Pokémon type. They are based on very cool and interesting mythical beasts, and let's face it, Dragons are awesome. I also love several Dragon Pokémon and always look forward to seeing new Dragon Pokémon.

My second favourite types are Fire and psychic. Fire because it is my favourite element, and Psychic because I have always valued the idea of psychic powers and abilities.

I went with fire - because it has four different types it does well against (who else can do that!?)
and normal type because of how they are able to learn so many moves, be it thunderbolt, fire blast, ice beam, it's just awesome (I tried this with Nodiking/Nidoqueen)

I went with fire - because it has four different types it does well against (who else can do that!?)

I'm going to be that guy and say: Ground and Fighting, which are both super effective against five types :p Which is the main reason why I like both of these types a lot, though I love Fire a lot too.

I've got a lot of love for dragon, fire, flying and ice.
Dragons seem to have that aura about them that just makes me admire them, I like fire because I'm a pyromaniac, I only realized how much I liked flying types when I realized that a lot of my favorites of other types are also flying types, and ice types are just cool. Literally.
Dark types also have that aura.

When I'm designing monotype teams it's inevitably gonna be either dragon, fire or flying.

Steel and Dark. Steel because I like using defensive types in battles (also Steven Stone is life)

Dark because I like their designs.

My fave is Water due to its versatility and the fact water can be viewed as powerful and beautiful.

I also seem to like Fairy, Psychic and Ghost-types notably for the same reason.

can you just go through the types that fighting and ground are super effective against?
I can't think of the bat anyway but you are sure they each have five advantages?

can you just go through the types that fighting and ground are super effective against?
I can't think of the bat anyway but you are sure they each have five advantages?

Fighting > Dark, Ice, Normal, Rock, Steel
Ground > Electric, Fire, Poison, Rock, Steel

Ghost type. I really like most of the designs, and they have the best pokédex entries.
Also they have two immunities, which is always nice.

Pretty partial to Water and Bug lately. Water has the most Pokemon, so I guess that helps it having such a variety to it. They're often just aesthetically pleasing designs, while some have really fun personality to their designs (like Pyukumuku, Mega Slowbro and Ludicolo). It also has some of the cutest pre-evos with things like Wooper, Slowpoke, Skrelp etc.

I'm not sure where my recent love of Bug is coming from, but I'd guess it's because the past few generations have been very kind to it. My parents recently bought me some taxidermy insects in cases, and they're really cool to look at so maybe it's also that I'm appreciating our real world critters more and that's translating over to Pokemon.

Flying <3 Particularly bird Pokémon because I've always been a fan of birds IRL. I like how speedy Flying-type 'mons are on average. And Brave Bird is one of my favourite moves ever, with an animation that looks cooler every generation.

EDIT: Oh, and I also like how useful Flying-type attacks are in Triple Battles (RIP).

Last edited:
I picked my top 5 types:
1. Grass- my favorite starter stype. I love them because of green colour (very calming) and because they're not really appreciated and are considered weak. That's why I have a soft spot for them. Also, I like how they're alway based on plants, it makes them very interesting.
2. Psychic- I love the whole idea of defeating opponents with the power of your mind instead of using brute force. I also love the mystical vibe they have.
3. Electric- I love electric types for their speed (ironically, my fav electric type is ampharos which is not speedy at all ) and because of their usefulness. I alway have an electric type on my team.
4.Fairy- Love how they all look cute and cuddly but can be powerful dragon slayers. I don't like dragons much.
5. Water- I love the sea and beaches and that's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about water types.

Last edited:
My favorite type is hands down the Grass type. It started with Bulbasaur, my favorite Pokémon of all time, and grew from there. I like how diverse the Grass type Pokémon are, both in terms of design and combat role. They cover all the niches. Grass is also the underdog type, and that just makes me love it more.

My other favorite types are not quite as nuanced. I like Water because Water is my favorite classical element, and I like Dragon and Fairy because I'm a huge fan of mythology and fairy tales.

I will say that I'm really not all that attracted to the more traditional 'destructive' types like Fire or Electric. Dark is another one I don't care for because it just screams of "Xtreme Kool Edgynessssss" which...groan. Though I do like some individual Pokémon of all the aforementioned types.

Normal. Because they're anything but normal! Most Normal types have a ton of coverage when it comes to moves, so you never quite know what they'll bring. Plus they can have some really cool designs.

Honorable mention to Fire, I had a ton of fun doing a mono-Fire type run in X a few years back.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom