• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your favorite types and what do you like about them?

What are your favorite types?

• Grass

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Water

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Fire

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Electric

• Normal

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dragon

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Fairy

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Fighting

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Dark

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Psychic

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Ghost

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Bug

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Flying

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Ground

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Rock

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Steel

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Poison

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Ice

• Total voters
I like psychic and electric type because both of them are kind of ephemeral, futuristic and are opposites of brute force. Plus, I love how speedy electric type can be, I love to be able to put a status ailment on opposing Pokémon quickly or have a guaranteed damage due to speed. I also like dark but I don't seem to master it, dark teams just don't work for me (if monotype) so I prefer psychic. It's also the type I associate with myself the most. Unfortunately, thanks to the introduction of fairy type psychic type got unjustly nerfed into obscurity, it's not as relevant now because fairy type is better defensively and has better coverage. I am also a big fan of steel type which is, of course, that brute force I said I hate, but it's so practical and steel type Pokemon are my favorite look-wise.

I love the sleek designs of Dark pokémon. They tend to be a wild mix of ferociousness and elegance. It’s no coincidence that Umbreon is my favorite pokémon.

Fairy pokémon are pretty powerful and beautiful as well. They seem to be a bit behind the other types, however, because many members of that family are often reclassed pokemon. The original concepts for these lines, with a few exceptions, were not designed to be a “fairy pokémon”. The versatility and power behind them more than make up for it though, and as more pokémon are added to this type, the more they’ll grow on me.

I love Dragon pokémon as well, mainly because the rarity of them. They aren’t swamped with dozens of different lines, and each line they do have is a unique and neat design. I don’t think there’s a Dragon pokémon I dislike, with the exception of a shiny Dragonite.

My top 5 would be:
  • Steel - Loads of awesome steel-type Pokémon, and I really like using the type.
  • Fairy - Pretty much the same as above, although I probably like this type a bit more for the inspiration behind it rather than the Pokémon.
  • Fighting - I really enjoy using fighting types in-game for some reason. Been like this for as long as I can remember.
  • Fire - Like most of the types above, I really enjoy using fire mons in-game. I also like most fire Pokemon design-wise, with there only being a small handfull I'm not a fan of (Delphox and Mega Charizard X being some of the very few).
  • Bug - Bug used to be one of my least favourite types, but over the years I've come to realise how many cool-looking big types there actually are. Seriously. Golisopod, Scyther, Scizor, Escavalier, Scolipede, Volcarona, Shuckle, Venomoth, the list goes on.
I'm also a fan of Electric, Ice, Flying, and Poison.

Wow, looks like I'm one of the few. I like rock types. And dragon types too, but it looks like there are tons of those people. I enjoy real-life lizards, snakes, turtles, dinosaurs, crocodiles, etc., so I love dragons and quite a few grass types. Rock types just look cool to me most of the time. I especially like fossils.

My opinions have changed over the last year. While I still like Steel and Dark, I’ve grown to dislike Fairy for being poorly-balanced. However, Steel’s no longer my favorite type...

BECAUSE BUG IS, YO! First off, arthropods are my favorite type of animal. Insects, arachnids, crustaceans, myriapods and all the other chitinous critters out there are the best. Bug has really come into its own as a strong type, especially since Gen V; my shiny Bug Team is my pride and joy, especially my two favorites: Golisopod and Scizor. I can’t name any Bug-types I actually dislike, too.

I’ve also grown rather fond of the Poison-type, to the point it’s my second-favorite type.

1) Poison
I tend to like a lot of the Pokemon of this type (including Crobat, my favorite Pokemon), and it is a type very associated with the color purple, my favorite color. A lot of the attacks look cool (I remember using Ariados with Sludge Bomb a lot in Stadium 2 just because I liked watching it haha), and even just the type name of "Poison" has a certain edge to it that I like.

2) Ice
Again, I like a lot of the Ice-types, and Glaceon is my favorite Eeveelution unsurprisingly. I've always loved icy attacks in video games; in Final Fantasy, if an enemy has no particular weakness, you bet I'll use Blizzard before I use Fire or Thunder. IRL, I also love cold temperatures and snow, so that also helps.

3) Steel
My initial interest in Steel-type started because as a kid, I kinda had a crush on Steven Stone (who didn't?), and him being associated with Steel made me like it lol. But even aside from that, Steel has some very cool-looking Pokemon, like Steelix and Aggron. I always try to have a Steel-type on my team when I go through the main games.

My favourite type is ghost since I have an interest in the undead and paranormal. However I also like the dragon and fairy due to how overpowered they are.

1. Grass

Grass has been my favourite type all the way since Gen I! While I can't remember the exact circumstances which lead me to love the type so much, I do remember that I was a huge fan of Ash's Bulbasaur in the anime at the time (which I watched pretty frequently back then) and that it was the biggest reason why I got more and more into the Pokemon Franchise in the first place. Naturally, this lead me to become more fond of Grass types as a result, pretty much almost entirely because of Bulbasaur.

2. Ice.

I think this is rather interesting because Ice actually didn't become one of my favourite types until recent years, but I think this was the time period where I became huge fans of Pokemon like Glaceon and Froslass and becoming more fond of Articuno. In short, there are a lot of really good Ice types (especially in Sinnoh) and honestly now that I think about it even back in Gen I one of my favourite Pokemon during that time was Dewgong which was half Ice-type anyway so... I guess I was always just kinda drawn to it, I suppose. xD

Last edited:
In the games I've always found Water to be a very trustworthy, sturdy, versatile type. It's why I've always chosen the Water starter in every single game. Plus, there are plenty of solid Water designs that I like. Although I pretty only end up using the starters. Lol.

Otherwise, I love using Psychic and Fairy types, as they are also very useful in the games. Fire and Dark would be next in line. I've always loved Flying as well, as I love birds.

I want to say Ice, because in real life I adore ice and snow. I very commonly associate myself with the Winter because I love the season so much. But in Pokemon games Ice isn't very useful and most Ice Pokemon are either ugly or weird. =( Even those I really like, like Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales and Glaceon just don't play out very well for me. I thought Alolan Ninetales would work like a charm in-game because it is part Fairy, but then S/M made all of my Pokemon feel weak and Alolan Ninetales was just a one-shot all of the time. =(

I like a lot of the types, but if I have to choose a few favorites:

Dragon: I always loved mythical creatures and being able to actually train one is a dream come true, plus so many of my favorite Pokemon have this type, including Ultra Necrozma, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom and last but not least, my most favorite of all dragons, Kyurem.

Fighting: Honestly, you can't just beat the classic Lucario when it comes to popular Fighting-types, there are also some other good ones like the Jangmo-o line and some not even mentioned often like Mienshao. Overall, a solid typing capable of putting a dent on Steel-types.

Water is a favorite type of mine. They have a large variety and most have pretty decent designs overall. I always enjoy seeing the introduction of new Water types every generation.

another is Ghost because of the interesting concepts. I enjoy the whole spooky/paranormal aspect and seeing what they can bring to it Pokemon wise.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom