• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Are Your Favorite Video Game Genres?

Favorite video game genres

• Action

• Adventure

• RPG

• Horror

• Arcade

• Fighting

• Sports

• MMO

• Shooter

• Simulation

• Logic/Educational/Puzzle

• Strategy

• Racing

• Casual/Party

• Digital Tabletop/Board/Card games

• Visual Novel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The old thread has been dead for a while now so I decided to make a new one to see how opinions may have changed. I've only listed the generic genres in the poll, but feel free to discuss the various subgenres and and combinations of genres (such as Action RPG, Dungeon Crawler, Turn-based Strategy, Survival Horror, etc) as well!

My all time favorite genre of games is definitely JRPG. Simulation games like Story of Seasons/old Harvest Moon are a close second.

Edit: I cant believe I forgot about Visual Novels!!!! Ever since I got my vita I've tried a ton of visual novels across all systems I have and they are some of the first games I preorder now as well!

Last edited:
I chose RPG, racing, strategy, arcade, and fighting, though if I'm being honest, I tend to like many genres otherwise like horror, puzzle, visual novel and even sports (when the tony hawk games were good for instance)
Also I notice the lack of visual novel in the poll, is it possible to add it into the poll?

I chose RPG, racing, strategy, arcade, and fighting, though if I'm being honest, I tend to like many genres otherwise like horror, puzzle, visual novel and even sports (when the tony hawk games were good for instance)
Also I notice the lack of visual novel in the poll, is it possible to add it into the poll?
I figured Visual Novels would fall under the Adventure category, but I can add them to the poll if you'd like.

I like me some good horror. Action, adventure, RPGs, and Visual Novels are great too.

I only really play JRPGs, as they are simple to grasp and usually don't have many reflex requirements due to their turn based nature. Also, because playing more strenuous action games stresses my hand. Plus, they have the greatest stories and have heavily influenced me more than any other medium. On occasion though, I do like monster raising sims like Digimon World or Monster Rancher though. They kind of scratch my itch for wanting to take care of beautiful creatures in a way that Pokemon doesn't go indepth enough.

Oh and I'll pick up an MMO seldomly. But the only one I've really gotten into is Final Fantasy 14. Those are nice because I can play them with my husband, but become kind of stressful due to all the other strangers involved. So I'm not on them too much.

Top favorite would be role-playing games, especially party-driven ones, then shooters and certain other action-style games.

But I do enjoy most genres, if the games are good.

Action, Adventure, RPG, Strategy, Simulation. JRPGs and simulation are my most played genres.

I like games from a variety of genres, but my all-time favorite genre is actually one that's not currently on the list: platforming games. That's the genre that I basically grew up with, and some of my all-time favorite games come straight from there. Besides that, I also really like action games, RPGs (JRPGs more so than western ones), adventure games, racing games, and - to a lesser extent - fighting, strategy, and puzzle games.

I tend to gravitate heavily towards RPGs, especially if they have some tactical element to them (Final Fantasy Tactics is a personal favorites of mine because of this for example). Other than that, I also find Horror, Racing, Fighting, Action, Adventure and Platforming games to be rather enjoyable

I like RPGs of any kind. JRPGs, Western RPGs, MMOs (although I'm not as into MMOs that absolutely require you to play with others, so I like MMOs like GuildWars (yay 7-hero parties), GuildWars 2 (you can literally get through the entire game, minus the very last story step (which is a dungeon, which require a party), without having to team up with others), and basically any other MMO where I can run around by myself if I want to), as long as it's an RPG I will probably like it.

I've never played something that was strictly labelled a "puzzle game" (to my knowledge, anyway), but I love puzzles in RPGs. I can't play horror games cause I'm really high strung and jumpy (I grew up in a literal warzone so maybe I have like PTSD or something I don't even know :ROFLMAO: ) but I love tag-teaming horror games with someone else manning the controls and I help solve the puzzles or figure out how to beat bosses or whatever (after all, there's a reason why I write walkthroughs for a non-living).

I picked RPG and strategy games. I like them because you can usually go at your own pace. Plus it feels really good when you come up with a strategy to beat a difficult boss without level grinding. (But I'm a weirdo that actually kind of likes level grinding sometimes.)

I also like adventure games, platformers, and simulations.

Simulation, RPG, and action/adventure games if they're less violent (like Zelda and Kingdom Hearts).

The normal side of me likes JRPGs and Strategy games like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem

The maniac in me loves shooters and sandboxes like Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto.

Adventure games, especially anything that's exploration heavy. Sandbox Mario, Metroid, and Zelda rank as some of my favorite series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom