• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your feelings on event only Pokemon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 86593
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86593

I feel as if event only Pokemon are oversaturated. I find it annoying that I can no longer get say, a Deoxys or Latias/Latios in my gen 3 games because the events are long gone. I'd prefer if the events say, gave you earlier access to said Pokemon.

Another thing I find annoying about event only Pokemon is how they usually have movies based around them. I don't really see the point in hyping up a legendary when only a select area can obtain said Pokemon at a select time. I feel sorry for the young children who watch the movies maybe a few months late to find that their favourite legendary is event only, meaning that they wont be able to obtain said Pokemon.

Definitely agree with you, especially in cases where you have to get out to a store and pick up a code, because frankly I'm too lazy for that and gas is expensive. >_>

Even in the case of Wi-Fi distributions I'd prefer they have other means to get them in game if only to make life easier. I mean, getting Pokémon via events isn't hard, it's just tedious. Like you said there's also a whole slew of kids who don't know/hear about event Pokémon, and it sucks that they likely miss out on a lot of legendaries, such as the case for myself when I was younger.

One of my favourite Pokémon is Keldeo, and I haven't obtained him in his debut generation for this very reason (not legitimately, anyway).

I am glad events have been far more plentiful during Gen 6. I have quite a few Keldeos now in those games... and more to come in October!! But yes, I agree. I like that they made Deoxys obtainable in-game in ORAS. I was not expecting it.

Meh, I sometimes don't bother with them. While I would prefer it for them to be obtainable in-game and not have to download them, I don't mind having to go to GameStop to get a code. Of course I rarely do that anyway, so it makes no real impact on me.

I am apathetic about them. Honestly, I float in and out of Pokemon and have varying levels of interest, so I often go months without checking for events and such. So I end up missing a lot and I just can't be bothered to fire up a game I haven't touched in ages just to get a Pokemon I'm never going to use. (Because I can't nickname most of them, and also, they're Legendaries a lot of the time. Which I don't care to use) I kind of wish it wasn't a thing though. Seems unnecessary.

I feel event only pokemon are kind of unfair, because some regions have them and some have fewer. Some people don't have the money or time to buy a movie ticket either. Tho i never desperately want a pokemon so it doesn't have too much impact on me.

Agreed on event-only Pokemon being oversaturated. It was a fun gimmick at first since it was limited to only one or two Pokemon, at most (though we never got Celebi in Gen II). It got really ridiculous starting with Gen IV; they started making more of them probably for the sake of annual movies and I'm sick of it. They're also a big pain in the ass to obtain when they're only available in a store that's not worth the effort making a drive to, which they happened to make even worse by only making them available with a code card. Out of cards? Too bad! Sorry you made the hour-long trip for nothing! Also, the fact that they make almost all of them impossible to trade over GTS is even more frustrating.

So yeah, they're not my most favorite thing regarding Pokemon. I can't complain when they're offered over Wi-Fi, but everything else, not so much.

I LOATHE Mythical pokemon. Legendary pokemon are trophies in my games. I prefer using regular pokemon instead. Mythicals? Mytical pokemon are those shiny doo-dads that are pretty much just like that trophy you have, except that person got theirs because they were/are in the right place at the right time. Since they're event only, they have next to no place in the regions they've come from. And those that DO get openly mentioned (like Mew and Celibi) in-game, it's just frustrating for those of us who don't get them. It's like finding out your local toy store was handing out a free plushie/action figure after they've already stopped doing it.

The only reason I'm able to get the monthly mythical pokemon this year is because I have a friend who can go get a code for me since he has TWO gamestops nearby where he lives.

...I'm tired from sleep medication so if this is hard to understand: TL;DR: Pink dislikes mythicals because they're worse than trophies- they're limited time only prizes that not everyone can try to get because they didn't hear about it/were busy/came in too late.

I don't mind much either way. I'm not the kind of person who likes using legendaries too much anyway. I feel like no Trainer should capture them and potentially disrupt the balance of nature just to get stronger Pokemon.

My most hated feature of the games. They make powerful (on paper, at least) Pokémon with limited availability, ban them from actually being used anywhere, and nowadays these legendary creatures are just handed to you--no effort, no attachment, no story behind them. I hope Deoxys being normal in ORAS is a sign they'll one day end this stupid practice, but I doubt it.

In my case it's doubly annoying because I haven't received the newsletter for the anniversary distributions despite being signed up for it.

well, this year we have event pkm all year long and i can only get the ones from mystery gift, in other words, i can't get the ones that are given by code... because there's no gamestop where i live. what i mean is: event pkm are very restricted, which almost make some acquisitions unfair and make it harder to complete the dex

I think the charm of Pokemon is that it's a game that encourages kids to socialize and get out of the house. In the days before wi-fi, in order to "Catch 'Em All" kids had to trade with their friends and go out to events to receive those elusive Mythical Pokemon like Mew and Celebi. The name "Mythical" is fitting, because the scarcity of these Pokemon gave them a real "mythical" quality, because my friends and I would read about them in the Scholastic books, and we'd buy into urban legends like that gosh-damned truck next to the SS Anne, but we never saw them in our games.

Now, the artificial scarcity of the Mythical Pokemon did give us kids a sense of wonder and adventure back in the day, but what it also meant is that we got our parents to buy Scholastic books, movie tickets, VHS tapes, trading cards, and lest we forget making sure that we got one version of the game while our friends bought a slightly different version of the same game so we could trade with each other! Pokemon is a gold mine for Nintendo, especially back when I was a kid and there was no wi-fi. So, while part of the reason Nintendo created this "Gotta Catch 'Em All" formula is to get kids hooked, I think there was another one, which was to create a game that went outside the Game Boy and into the real world. I got my mom and dad to spend ludicrous amounts of money on anything that had "Pokemon!" slapped on the box, but I can't deny that it has left me with a lot of good memories.

TL;DR, I have mixed feelings about Mythical Pokemon.

I don't have any problem with the principle. It's a nice little thing for the collectors to look out for - one of those features that makes Pokémon more than just a game for a competitive scene. Are they artificially scarce, well yes, but then so is any any other legendary pokémon.

What's historically been the problem, though, is the downright obnoxious way they've been made available. It's only been relatively recently that players outside of Japan have been able to expect events to be made available to them as well. I mean, you can bleat on about how Pokémon is a Japanese game so Japan is going to be favoured, blah blah blah ... the excuse doesn't hold up for a game that's so widely played outside of Japan. It's still not perfect now - I have no idea why the US players can't just download same as we do in the PAL regions

I like the concept of the rarity and actually having to attend an event to get one is pretty fun.

But what I also don't like is that I have to actually spend money on getting mythical pokemon that I don't want to miss. The Red Genesect was distributed when the Genesect movie was in theaters... and as I was very much disappointed with the movie itself, I felt that my money was spent for the shiny mythical pokemon.

I find it a tactic that only attracts more players, thus more merchandise, thus more money. I shouldn't have to attempt to get to GameStop to ask for a code for another Pokémon, especially one I might have already caught manually in a previous installment. Simply put, it's cheap and unnecessary, but that doesn't stop it from adding even just a little bit of fun to the games.

They're just free DLC I suppose. I'd rather they go without but in the end, they're basically tradition now.

When you gotta catch them, it's something to get you back into the game at least.

They were worse ten/fiftheen years ago when you had to get to locations to get them, now you can just get them through wifi.

they're fine but somewhat annoying

i would rather have some extensive and difficult sidequest/sideplot to get most of them but i don't really have a problem with them

to be honest, i don't really care about getting event pokemon at all at this point. if they're not easily obtainable by wireless then i have almost no interest in getting them.

also i'd much prefer if they just distributed normal pokemon with different moves through events (a la the gotta catch em all event pokemon of gen 2, eg petal dance psyduck/lovely kiss snorlax)

Definitely annoying. In Pokemon Diamond, I had to use to an Action Replay just to get Darkrai, Arceus, and Shaymin.

Compared to how it used to be (i.e. gen 1-3) getting event pokemon couldn't be easier. Even compared to gen 4 & 5 events have been more numerous and easier to find, especially since they're usually given out with codes or over wi-fi now.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom