• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
The map got revealed and the only new place I've discovered was that dark cloud thing. So pretty much another distortion world.

Looking at the other features, all I can say that I don't care anymore about the games. Maybe there's a BF hidden somewhere, but except for this, the games leave me cold.

I'm optimistic that it's not going to be a total cash grab. It looks promising enough to get me excited, at least. The more little pieces of news the better.

I went from optimistic to pretty ecstatic.
I'm pretty surprised that someone new is directing this time around, I like that there's a lot of things being teased from him, I dig all the changes and and most importantly I like how we know so much yet so little.
It really adds to the mystery of the games which I feel has been lacking in a lot of pre-release materials up until now.

I was a bit dissapointed when I looked the region, but then I realized that there are more changes than there were in ORAS and the potential of fixing older areas like the blue hotel and the golf course and to have new areas still exists, so I'm not worried.

Photo club looks fun, I'll use it if it's close to a facility I use in the postgame.

Z moves I couldn't care less.

I wouldn't call it an "awesome" reveal but it shows that the game could be fun, and that it's not a DLC programmed in one month as some thought or as they made us thought with the lack of news.

I was a bit dissapointed when I looked the region, but then I realized that there are more changes than there were in ORAS and the potential of fixing older areas like the blue hotel and the golf course and to have new areas still exists, so I'm not worried.

Photo club looks fun, I'll use it if it's close to a facility I use in the postgame.

Z moves I couldn't care less.

I wouldn't call it an "awesome" reveal but it shows that the game could be fun, and that it's not a DLC programmed in one month as some thought or as they made us thought with the lack of news.

No idea how you can say this whatsoever, this game and ORAS seem to be taking the same approach, making the region 99% the same, lacking any major improvements to the region. It seems like in general they're taking a style over substance approach to region design lately, they've had a lot of areas that are just there for aesthetics even if they look like they should be explorable, they've been explicitly reducing content, and now with this trailer they seem to be emphasizing more Pokemon in the overworld and interaction with them over new areas and new content.

No idea how you can say this whatsoever, this game and ORAS seem to be taking the same approach, making the region 99% the same, lacking any major improvements to the region. It seems like in general they're taking a style over substance approach to region design lately, they've had a lot of areas that are just there for aesthetics even if they look like they should be explorable, they've been explicitly reducing content, and now with this trailer they seem to be emphasizing more Pokemon in the overworld and interaction with them over new areas and new content.

But ORAS didn't have 3 new buildings and 4 new beaches :LOL:

Kommo-o's Z-Move and the Photo Club got me a little more excited, but other then that I'm still in the same position as before.

I'm surprised the trailer has generated such a polarized reaction. It didn't blow me away by any means, but I definitely didn't see anything to make me think #EverythingIsAwful!

I really hope this isn't Game Freak's new motto. Competing with mobile apps is absolutely no excuse to give their games less and less content. If anything, Game Freak needs to add MORE content into their games in order to keep their target demographic actually interested. Having something that is just for aesthetic purposes isn't going to engage their target audience: it's just saving them time to go to their mobile competitors.

That being said, more features aren't always better: GF just needs to learn how to add more substance to the features that they do put into their games. Given that this new director seems to be saying that all aspects of Sun and Moon will be improved, this leads me to be cautiously optimistic that the focus of USUM is to add more substance to what they currently have in the games. Basically, I believe that there's a chance that we might have more meatier trials and finally have access to some of the areas that were previously inaccessible (Akala's Golf Course), as well as allowing us to fully explore some of the smaller areas (such as actually being able to explore Wela Volcano Park's caves instead of just instantly transporting you up and down).

But ORAS didn't have 3 new buildings and 4 new beaches :LOL:

No, but it did have extra diving spots on Rt. 129 and Rt. 130 and extra floors in Scorched Slab.

I really hope this isn't Game Freak's new motto. Competing with mobile apps is absolutely no excuse to give their games less and less content. If anything, Game Freak needs to add MORE content into their games in order to keep their target demographic actually interested. Having something that is just for aesthetic purposes isn't going to engage their target audience: it's just saving them time to go to their mobile competitors.

Well I don't suspect they'll continue this philosophy into the Switch games. Console gaming is a completely different animal and in some ways console gamers want the complete opposite of what mobile gamers want. But since this game is still a handheld game they're not ready to change that philosophy yet.

That being said, more features aren't always better: GF just needs to learn how to add more substance to the features that they do put into their games. Given that this new director seems to be saying that all aspects of Sun and Moon will be improved, this leads me to be cautiously optimistic that the focus of USUM is to add more substance to what they currently have in the games. Basically, I believe that there's a chance that we might have more meatier trials and finally have access to some of the areas that were previously inaccessible (Akala's Golf Course), as well as allowing us to fully explore some of the smaller areas (such as actually being able to explore Wela Volcano Park's caves instead of just instantly transporting you up and down).

I wouldn't read too much into that comment, it's vague and probably just PR. Considering their actions and what they've shown about this game, it doesn't sound like they've done much with this game.

Kommo-o's Z-Move and the Photo Club got me a little more excited, but other then that I'm still in the same position as before.

Same. I actually kind of like Kommo-o and felt he really needed some buffs, and I could see the Photo Club being a great way to really show off your own personal Trainer sprite and his/her ideal team as such.

And I sure hope the Alolan Vulpix in the Aether Paradise is a hint that it will become Lillie's signature mon just like in the anime!

But it's gonna take a few more exciting teasers before I run out to GameStop and reserve a copy of Ultra Moon for pickup on November 17th...

Last edited:
I think the most dangerous thing any of us can do here, irrespective of our feelings towards USUM, is to pre-judge. While I like Kommo-o's buff, the fact remains that the Fairy type exists now.
Will this new Z-move give those stat boosts if the target Pokémon is/are immune? There's some details about it that we don't seem to know.

The new feature sounds cool and all but I think the only way I'd buy this on the first day if we get new alola forms that I think are ultra cute and/or megas/z-moves for my favourite pokemon (Wigglytuff/Jynx/Gothitelle) or if there's going to be something major with regards to Lillie.

Last edited:
This was more or less the official trailer to follow up on the teaser that was released a few months back. Even then, it's still too early to judge the games I'd say, but people are free to do as they please.
Based on word of mouth from Mr.Iwao and the GI interview, we know that everything from sun and moon will be revamped.
Meaning better trials, more Z moves, and more Regional variants. Furthermore if they altered literally anything with Lilie's family the story will change drastically since SM's plot revolved around them.

I've yet to see a damn thing that justifies this game's existence.

There's generally 2 types of third versions in the franchise. Those that add significant content (Yellow, Emerald, Platinum, BW2) and those that add diddly squat except maybe a coat of paint (Japanese Blue and the International version of Crystal). So far, this game seems to be falling into the latter category.

I've yet to see a damn thing that justifies this game's existence.

There's generally 2 types of third versions in the franchise. Those that add significant content (Yellow, Emerald, Platinum, BW2) and those that add diddly squat except maybe a coat of paint (Japanese Blue and the International version of Crystal). So far, this game seems to be falling into the latter category.

Yellow added significant content? Aside from having all of the starters and Jessie and James, what did it really add? Some surfing minigame most people probably never unlocked? The earlier third versions really didn't do much to differentiate themselves from the original game, aside from a couple of token extras it was pretty much the same game. The differences just got larger as the series progressed.

Certainly though, this game is looking like a major step back in that respect. I haven't seen anything from these games that makes them as much of a step up as Emerald, Platinum, or BW2 were from their original games.

I feel like my feelings of utter "meh" toward this title are beginning to stand on more solid ground.

Oh well, I suppose it was a large task to not disappoint me by rehashing games that were disappointing to me to begin with.

At this point, I have mixed feelings. I am still interested in the games especially with the inclusion of true new pokemon. At the same time I am disappointed in the marketing and the lack of news (or features if they really are showing us all that is new.) I will still get the games but I'm not that excited about it. I mean I don't know if it is a day one purchase or if I will wait (not bearing finances). I still want them to clear up some things before release. Are there more regional variant forms as I was very much a fan of these? Are there other new pokemon/UB besides Burst/Assembly? Does Necrozma+Nebby have new moves/ability/better stats? Can we breed event Rockruff/Lycanroc (please especially since the elemental fangs are event exclusive)? I would feel a lot more satisfied if I can get these questions cleared up.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom