• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
While I am interested in the potential changes from the S/M and what they're doing with Necrozma, I'll have to wait for more information before I can fully judge them.

If gen VIII is the first Switch games they have three options:

A) Release two different versions at $40 dollars
B) Do away with the Version concept and release one game at $60
C) Release two different versions at $60 dollars.

It should be noted that the Switch would allow you to have multiple saves. So say they go with option B they would have their work cut out for them making up for the previously mandatory trading but more importantly they would have only one last opportunity to use the version concept so I can understand them wanting to milk it by having two "third versions".

Granted I hope I'm getting more content.

Very disappointed that they didn't go for Kanto sequels, but still willing to engage it because they could still potentially tick a box on my wishlist; a non-sequel story set in a region that we know. Plus, there could be new trials and new Alola Forms, which I'd certainly be happy to see. I would have felt a bit weird leaving Alola with only the meager handful of Alola Forms that we got in SM.

I will give them credit for one thing, though. If these games do turn out to be an alternative universe story (and that's still where my chips are at the moment), then they picked the one option that virtually nobody was guessing. Stars, a straight-up third version, had credence. DP remakes were being called for. Others were asking for Alola sequels, or Kanto sequels. But somehow they'd have managed to dodge all of those predictions. So, a genuine surprise, at least - assuming that's how it goes, which it very well may not be.

Last edited:
Very disappointed that they didn't go for Kanto sequels, but still willing to engage it because they could still potentially tick a box on my wishlist; a non-sequel story set in a region that we know. Plus, there could be new trials and new Alola Forms, which I'd certainly be happy to see. I would have felt a bit weird leaving Alola with only the meager handful of Alola Forms that we got in SM.

I will give them credit for one thing, though. If these games do turn out to be an alternative universe story (and that's still where my chips are at right now), then they picked the one option that virtually nobody was guessing. Stars, a straight-up third version, had credence. DP remakes were being called for. Others were asking for Alola sequels, or Kanto sequels. But somehow they'd have managed to dodge all of those predictions. So, a genuine surprise, at least - assuming that's how it goes, which it very well may not be.
That is mostly why I am somewhat optimistic. This isn't a straight up 3rd game deal at all, nor is it a B2W2 situation, and I doubt its somewhere in the middle. I also doubt its literally what the titles are either, Ultra versions of SM, and I think there will be a wild card in terms of story and presentation that will be thrown in at some point. The element of surprise has yet to be seen, and I have a nudging feeling that its going to be a big one. I am genuinely invested in the idea that this is a retelling set in the faller universe and that big twist will be that the story heavily involves plot threads and lore expansions enriched with the knowledge of SM themselves.

My first thought is that this is so unnecessary but if they take the opportunity to expand on SM's story and give me Alolan Jynx alongside that vacation cruise ship where I can battle every Gym leader/Elite 4 member in the past again then I'll gladly buy this.

I will give them credit for one thing, though. If these games do turn out to be an alternative universe story (and that's still where my chips are at the moment), then they picked the one option that virtually nobody was guessing. Stars, a straight-up third version, had credence. DP remakes were being called for. Others were asking for Alola sequels, or Kanto sequels. But somehow they'd have managed to dodge all of those predictions. So, a genuine surprise, at least - assuming that's how it goes, which it very well may not be.

Plot twist: You enter the Distortion World from a portal in Ultra Space, where you see Cynthia battling Cyrus, who's trying to get the UBs to attack Sinnoh.

Plot twist: You enter the Distortion World from a portal in Ultra Space, where you see Cynthia battling Cyrus, who's trying to get the UBs to attack Sinnoh.

What does that have to do with anything I said? :confused:

Ultimately: The second poll option. Personally: Not very good.

I just want to see where they're going with this "alternate story" route business since I have little faith in delivery towards anything else.

I'm not very keen on this, if anything I'm still salty they left Kalos and Zygarde unfinished and abandoned but they still will make an "alternative story" for SuMo. I would have preferred Sinnoh remakes but whatever.
If they give us more than just a slightly more polished plot and Solgaleo/Lunaala/Necrozma fusions I might be interested. If not I don't care

Last edited:
I generally liked the reveal, despite being so short, but I really need more information before having a more solid take on the games. I was more excited when I thought that they were sequels. I think Sun/Moon sequels could have worked quite nicely, so that is a bit disappointing. The idea of a return to traditional third versions also doesn't sound that appealing to me on paper. I thought/hoped that they were done with that concept given that the previous two generations didn't really have them.

Still, the idea of alternate storyline could be interesting. I just want them to go all out with that concept so that US/UM feel like their own games instead of just updated Sun/Moon. I am still pretty hopeful about the games, but I just need more information before forming a more solid opinion on my feelings. What little we have about the games isn't really enough to be for or against them in my opinion.

"Don't worry guys, a Switch game is coming even though we're not ready to say anything about it yet".

Yeeaaah, that doesn't sound like they're stalling for 8th gen at all. Really adds to the argument that this is a cheap cash grab, they haven't even shown what the game is and already they're hyping people up for the game after it.

I want them to allow us to actually explore the Ultra Space instead of being limited to one small area. If there is a significant expansion to the Ultra Space and the Ultra Space related plot, I might consider buying Ultra Moon. Otherwise I will have to pass. I would rather save money for the inevitable Switch game, especially since I will have to buy the console as well...

I'm not disappointed they are not Sinnoh remakes. This means we'll likely get them in the next generation on Switch, with better graphics and possibly better features, better game engine etc. We'll just have to wait longer for it. Honestly, I'm almost relieved Sinnoh remakes are not happening because I really don't want to spend money on games for a while.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom