• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
There's nothing stopping them from multiple saves now...
There isn't but they deliberately chose not to let you have them. Unless the use some special code or something this isn't possible for the Switch because save data is tied to profiles. So they can't stop you from having as many saves as you want without actively blocking that. Which I don't doubt they would want to do but they would get at least some blow back for being anticonsumer.

I'm going to go against the tide here - I'm excited by these reveals.

Despite my frustration that the reveal trailer actually revealed little to us, I am intrigued. The prospect of a different timeline with different events in the same region is something they haven't tread before - at least not so openly. All third versions can be seen as differentiating timelines but that's never been canon until OR/AS & S/M. It's neat to see them taking this idea and running with it consistently. They have a lot of potential with Sun & Moon I think, and an alternate Alola with gyms and a champion that isn't us could be a very cool thing to witness. Hopefully the wait for more info won't be long.

I'm reserving judgment not from the info they reveal from the games - But rather, until the critiques come out about the games 2-3 weeks after they're released. In other words, I'm not going to be a 1st day buyer.

I say this because the reveals they showed about Sun/Moon originally made it look like the games were jam-packed with very awesome features - that they designed them to out pace gen VI, and actually have a postgame to look forward to. In reality, the execution of so many of those features did not hold up to the hype - and they removed so many nice features from gen VI as well.

Now, an alt timeline appears. What is Game Freak going to do and add to compel people to spend 40 dollars on this? I bet they probably know how they'll market the game features to show us before releasing them. But how the features will really stack up in reality... Consider me a major skeptic after the previous game unveilings. v_v

I really don't get how making Alola just like any other region would be interesting.

When you put it like that, it's not interesting.

However...seeing an alternate Alola adopting/already adopted to the League, and how that replaced the Trials, how that affected Alola, its culture, its people and its Pokemon, as they're all pretty deeply intertwined. Also, seeing how the Tapu Guardians would react/reacted to the Trials stopping and Alola taking a different direction. That's what could potentially be interesting.

So it sounds to me that you're saying that sequels about Alola's reaction to the loss of trials would be interesting.

In an alternate universe, why would gyms even be considered new? Sounds forced to me.

So it sounds to me that you're saying that sequels about Alola's reaction to the loss of trials would be interesting.

Sequels would be interesting, yes. However, a leak stated that US/UM would take place one year after the events of S/M in their own universe, so assuming that Kukui still founded the Elite Four and created an official league in that universe, then yes, I would be interested in seeing Alt-Alola react to how this went down considering we won't see that in the original.

The alternate Alola could be the more modern, for lack of a better word, route while the original Alola will be the more traditional route.

Sequels would be interesting, yes. However, a leak stated that US/UM would take place one year after the events of S/M in their own universe, so assuming that Kukui still founded the Elite Four and created an official league in that universe, then yes, I would be interested in seeing Alt-Alola react to how this went down considering we won't see that in the original.
It's a rumor rather than a leak. Let's remember to make that distinction.

And the reason that I find it hard to swallow is because I fail to see why the games wouldn't just be called sequels in such a case. Setting them in another universe would be pointless if we saw Alola's future. Besides, how would we even know that the story is set a year after something from another universe? If anyone said that in-game, it would be "ultra" contrived.

Last edited:
I'm excited for the new game, although I don't like Alola that much expecting it to return was really clear. For now I think the "cash grab" title some people are giving are pretty negative for now. Until we have more infos it's a little too early to label USUM as bad, I guess.
This late reveal dazzle me too, though. ORAS was announced in April (right?) and SM in March (?), so why the others got shown only in June? That much is weird... Especially coupled with the fact Ishihara's Switch news. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were boring sequels.
The thing is, Game Freak never did it before, then I can still have some hope in here.

This late reveal dazzle me too, though. ORAS was announced in April (right?)
May. (I remember because my friend made a thread about it in the anime section when we got the news.)

and SM in March (?)
February, on the franchise's 20th anniversary. Though I don't think we got any real news until like April or May. It was a mess, and I hope they don't repeat it. Especially now, when these games need to be elaborated on.

It's a rumor rather than a leak. Let's remember to make that distinction.

And the reason that I find it hard to swallow is because I fail to see why the games wouldn't just be called sequels in such a case. Setting them in another universe would be pointless if we saw Alola's future. Besides, how would we even know that the story is set a year after something from another universe? If anyone said that in-game, it would be "ultra" contrived.

Of course; my bad. But tbh since we have so little information on US/UM at the moment it's what I'm theorising with.

And of course they're not going to explain events from a different universe, they'd explain their own universe's version of events from one year prior, which likely would be rather different due to the player character not being present for them. And that lines up with the rumour, as it said the game focused somewhat heavily on past events.

Let's think about what the player actually does in SM of story relevance:

1. The SM plot kicks in when the player, Hau and Nebby have to rescue Nebby from Lusamine. The thing is that they never succeed... Lusamine uses it to open an Ultra Wormhole.

2. What happens next is that the player is the only one who helps Lillie find her mother. There is no good reason why Gladion couldn't do that instead.

So if all that happened a year ago in another universe... Then the new story would pretty much be a straightforward sequel, and that is not how USUM are being advertised. I find it far more likely that the Aether plot hasn't happened yet and Nebby isn't around since the SM player took it from the USUM universe during SM's post-game.

Last edited:
but i feel like there's definitely an elephant in the room with the alternate-universe-one-year-later-story rumor: why not just do a bona fide sequel? i mean, i can potentially why (re: Lillie) they'd want an alternate universe, but it's not like a sequel would eliminate her as a cast member or character completely anyways.

A year later sequel'd be really great, a lot better than third versions. I sorta doubt it since the protagonists look the same, except for new haircuts. They don't seem older to me.

I hope Lillie gets more screentime, I love this character. Forgiving her mother should make my day.
I'm playing Soon a lot these weeks and Alola's pretty boring in my opinion. I wish GF'd make it more like Kalos, perhaps?

why not just do a bona fide sequel? i mean, i can potentially why (re: Lillie) they'd want an alternate universe, but it's not like a sequel would eliminate her as a cast member or character completely anyways.
Because this way, they can do a sequel while keeping Lillie the meek, moe waifu/dependent she'd been throughout most of SM. /jk

These games are definitely gonna be better than SM. Last games of a gen usually are!

Not necessarily and that's a pretty subjective topic anyway. I like B2/W2, but I don't think that they were better than B/W. I can't really say anything definitive about US/UM's quality or how they compare to Sun/Moon until I can actually play them.
To each his/her own. I thought B2W2 are better because of added content, expanded pokedex, other legendaries to catch, etc. We see what USUM brings to the table and compare it with SM.

I'm hyped. I don't want them to rush Pokemon's eventual Switch installment; in fact, I'd prefer for them to wait until Nintendo releases the Switch's cloud saving service. I could handle losing my BOTW save file if something happened to my Switch, but losing my beloved Pokemon, some of which having been valued team members since Gen IV? That would suck.

I mean, I know they're just bits and bytes of data, but I've put so much effort into raising them that they have a sentimental value to me, you know?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom