• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
I like this reveal. I wanna know more about what happened after the events of Sun and Moon, more than anything. I consider third versions to be a game fixing the imbalances and adding a lot more to an existing story (something I wish X and Y got). With sequels, we get to find out a bit more about the storyline, and Sun and Moon's storyline didn't need fixing or anything. There was also no major imbalances I can think of that need fixing.

Will it be good? That I'll reserve judgment for. Black and White were excellent that I felt didn't need a third version to balance them, got sequels, yet I felt they were really lacking and were a downgrade of Black and White. Point is, I'm excited for the prospect of these games. Looking forward to November.

I could really care less about these two games. I did not like Sun/Moon, and unless these are proven to be significantly different from the first games, then I'm just going to pass on them. I suspect that these are likely just going to be essentially third versions with very little changes in terms of plot and pacing, and I'm certainly not going to shell out $40-50 CAD just to play the same game that I didn't like. Even if USUM do have a number of changes that makes them comparatively different, I may still pass up on them for that reason.

But I will contend that information right now is scarce. I'll keep an eye on these two, but my opinion of them is already very negative.

I'm hoping USUM just don't make SuMo feel like "demo" versions of the game. I don't want this to be another Platinum situation where the "update" is so much better that it makes you question why the first pair were released the way they were.

On the other hand, I do think there was room for improvement in SuMo, and I don't want the games to be too similar... I'm kind of torn, especially since I'm hoping Gyms come back in some form and that YA BOI becomes a Bug-type Gym Leader.

I'm hoping USUM just don't make SuMo feel like "demo" versions of the game. I don't want this to be another Platinum situation where the "update" is so much better that it makes you question why the first pair were released the way they were.
Isn't that what all the third versions have accomplished though? Barring Yellow and maybe Emerald, to an extent. Frankly I'd rather have an "update" so I can get more bang for my buck. Why would I want to play the same game when I already own a version of it? I'd rather just play that again.

I'm actually excited. Alola felt so incomplete to me, it screamed of rushed development. There are several unused places on the map, scrapped areas, and places that felt like they were important but really weren't. I hope USUM will expand on those places. For example, it's weird to me that Kahili just appears in the Elite 4 when the other 3 are important characters you met. It's also weird that the Flying Z Crystal is just stuck in Ten Karat Hill. I think it was planned that you were supposed to meet Kahili in the scrapped golf course area, and she'd give you the Flyinium Z. Then you'd actually know who she was when you see her in the Elite 4, instead of just being some random chick you've never met. I'd bet just about anything that something like I described will be in US/UM, if the characters are kept somewhat the same.

Like many others, I was quite unsure about these games, and maybe would have preferred something different. But at the end of the day, it's Pokemon, so I am excited to see the game they produce. Just the fact that it's a main series Pokemon game makes me excited. And while right now ith how little info we have on it it might not be a thing I want to grab day one, the month it comes out in will probably be my second busiest work month, so I think I'd be fine with giving a little of that money to get a new game.

I have high hopes for this game that it's something special, something not totally the same as SM. So I am happy for its reveal.

But now I just want some info on it. GF, market this game.

In today's day an age asking ppl to pay this much additional money for a sequel is dumb,just do a season pass dlc like a real game company.

That's allows ppl who want more to buy it cheaper than paying for a new game and keeps ppl from feeling ripped off if the 2nd version is way better than the first.

This is what dlc and updates are for,that is unless your plan is to just milk a loyal fan base who's compelled to buy everything you haphazardly throw out for as much money as possible.

SM felt like an incomplete game,now we know that was intentional

In today's day an age asking ppl to pay this much additional money for a sequel is dumb,just do a season pass dlc like a real game company.

That's allows ppl who want more to buy it cheaper than paying for a new game and keeps ppl from feeling ripped off if the 2nd version is way better than the first.

This is what dlc and updates are for,that is unless your plan is to just milk a loyal fan base who's compelled to buy everything you haphazardly throw out for as much money as possible.

This is what they are doing and they know the fandom will fell for it.

There's nothing that indicates that SM was rushed other than "fans" touting it for not having or being what they wanted it to.
That and honestly speaking most sequels could've just been updates ( Splatoon 2 being a recent example) but most Companies are going go that route in a day and age where updated ports and remakes sell like crazy.

There's nothing that indicates that SM was rushed other than "fans" touting it for not having or being what they wanted it to.
That and honestly speaking most sequels could've just been updates ( Splatoon 2 being a recent example) but most Companies are going go that route in a day and age where updated ports and remakes sell like crazy.
Rushed or not, at least we're getting some upgrade version of Alola, who we might have some new characters, new areas, and possibly some new islands.

A year is a bit to soon for a sequel most real games haven't finished releasing dlc in that time.

I judge SM by past games and by that alone it feels unfinished.

What's the point in literally having so many unfinished areas ingame with no use? Other than to insult ppl who paid for it

I don't know if everything in SM were released as intended or not, but I can't blame people for feeling like SM were rushed. There are indeed a number of areas which appeared to be important or worth exploring, yet they were inaccessible or too short. I'm still sad with how short Ultra Space was.

It makes you wonder, when three of the Elite Four were important characters, but the fourth only only gets mentioned even though they had every opportunity to introduce that character properly (Golf Course). Then we have the final Trial which is supposedly a work-in-progress because the Trial Captain hasn't decided what to do with it yet. That was rather disappointing, and the abandoned Trial doesn't make up for it in my opinion. The abandoned Trial would have been even better if the seventh Trial was a proper one. Then we'd have that somewhat mysterious eighth Trial we get to do.

Don't get me wrong, I loved playing Moon. Alas, it is simply disappointing when characters tell you of certain areas, but they are inaccessible. It is disappointing when you're prepared to climb up a mountain but the game chooses to skip the exploration and teleport you at the top. Imagine hearing of the Safari Zone in previous games and how many cool Pokemon you can catch there but... oh, turns out it's not accessible. I can say older games suffer from this as well to various degrees, but SM are the most recent ones so they stand out.

I believe Game Freak should consider DLC or spending more development time on the games. It might just be because I'm an adult now and I can't ask my parents to buy me the newest Pokemon game. It's hard to spend 50€ for an updated version of a game I already own, unless it's a case like B2W2 (but even then, I didn't buy it). I don't mean to sound negative towards SUMO, but unfortunately Game Freak will have to try hard to convince me to buy it. :unsure:

Getting a serious case of de ja vu here. :/
Very true....

But when your concerns get verified by GF ....

But hopefully everything I'm saying is wrong and Ultra's the best game yet...You never knoe

LMAO.

People are still refusing to wait for information before judging USUM...
i mean, it's a two-way road. if you* judge me for being critical of USUM before information, i don't see why i can't judge you for being overly optimistic of USUM without any information. regardless, me being critical of the concept of USUM and what it all stands for doesn't preclude them from being good games anyways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* - you in the general sense, that is

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom