• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Rushed or not, at least we're getting some upgrade version of Alola, who we might have some new characters, new areas, and possibly some new islands.
That's basically
A year is a bit to soon for a sequel most real games haven't finished releasing dlc in that time.

I judge SM by past games and by that alone it feels unfinished.

What's the point in literally having so many unfinished areas ingame with no use? Other than to insult ppl who paid for it
That's simple, SM was a story driven game that took you where the plot told you, those areas were likely axed because they didn't hold any narrative relevance. Moreover the games can't be compared to its forerunners because they had " excuse plots" whereas SM actually had a story among other differences.
In earnest, it's beyond silly to get upset at something they've done for years. BW2 came out in the West a year after the originals and the same goes for Platinum to DP. Even without USUM being a thing we were rumored to get Stars a port of SM that probably would've been sixty dollars. This would've happened on way or the other.

SM felt like an incomplete game,now we know that was intentional

I don't see how Sun/Moon could feel like an incomplete game. In terms of the Alola region itself, I could kind of see if people thought that was too small or that there were too many places left unexplored by the end, but not really incomplete. I wouldn't even say that they felt rushed. Granted, I also don't think that X/Y were any less incomplete without having a third version, but Sun/Moon as a whole did not feel incomplete to me either. I've heard that plenty of times for X/Y, but I don't think I've heard that about Sun/Moon before.

I think many will better save these 40 boxes for a Switch.
Good thing we were told about that.

Or people can just as easily get both games. It doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or option here. There will be people who need to save up more for a Switch system since that will be more expensive, but it's not like people can only choose between those games or that they can only get US/UM right when it comes out. People can get the games after they've been released for awhile and it would be potentially easier to get US/UM than a Switch system, especially when we don't know when the Switch games are going to come out. For all we know, we won't get the games for another two years, which would make it easier for people to save up enough money for the system and games. A single 3DS game is much cheaper than a Switch and a game for its system. Even getting both US/UM would be cheaper than that. Everyone has a different financial situation, but generally speaking, getting US/UM would be easier to manage by comparison.

Besides all that, people could have easily chosen not to buy the games if they didn't want them. The Switch announcement wasn't really necessary for that. There are plenty of other video games out there. If people didn't like the sound of US/UM, they didn't need the Switch announcement to choose something else to buy. No one is being forced to buy Pokemon games here. No one is falling for anything either. We choose what games we're going to buy and if people end up choosing to buy US/UM, I don't think that they should be looked down upon like that.

I still want to get more information on US/UM before judging it, but I am still generally hopeful. I'd rather be hopeful whenever possible and the lack of information, while not great, doesn't make me instantly less interested in the games.

I don't see how Sun/Moon could feel like an incomplete game. In terms of the Alola region itself, I could kind of see if people thought that was too small or that there were too many places left unexplored by the end, but not really incomplete. I wouldn't even say that they felt rushed. Granted, I also don't think that X/Y were any less incomplete without having a third version, but Sun/Moon as a whole did not feel incomplete to me either. I've heard that plenty of times for X/Y, but I don't think I've heard that about Sun/Moon before.

Or people can just as easily get both games. It doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or option here. There will be people who need to save up more for a Switch system since that will be more expensive, but it's not like people can only choose between those games or that they can only get US/UM right when it comes out. People can get the games after they've been released for awhile and it would be potentially easier to get US/UM than a Switch system, especially when we don't know when the Switch games are going to come out. For all we know, we won't get the games for another two years, which would make it easier for people to save up enough money for the system and games. A single 3DS game is much cheaper than a Switch and a game for its system. Even getting both US/UM would be cheaper than that. Everyone has a different financial situation, but generally speaking, getting US/UM would be easier to manage by comparison.

Besides all that, people could have easily chosen not to buy the games if they didn't want them. The Switch announcement wasn't really necessary for that. There are plenty of other video games out there. If people didn't like the sound of US/UM, they didn't need the Switch announcement to choose something else to buy. No one is being forced to buy Pokemon games here. No one is falling for anything either. We choose what games we're going to buy and if people end up choosing to buy US/UM, I don't think that they should be looked down upon like that.

I still want to get more information on US/UM before judging it, but I am still generally hopeful. I'd rather be hopeful whenever possible and the lack of information, while not great, doesn't make me instantly less interested in the games.

I prefer having low expectations so that I don't get disappointed.
My decision to buy or not to buy depends on how much content USUM adds.

I prefer having low expectations so that I don't get disappointed.
My decision to buy or not to buy depends on how much content USUM adds.

I can understand that aspect of having low expectations. I'd just personally prefer to have some reason for setting expectations low instead of doing so right off the bat.

I can understand that aspect of having low expectations. I'd just personally prefer to have some reason for setting expectations low instead of doing so right off the bat.

How much content do you really expect them to add in a third version released just one year after the original? What little we know about this game limits what they can do to improve over the original.

Why is it odd? I really liked ORAS (for the most part), but I´ve always said that BW2 is the best game in the franchise, imo.

So, I like Ohmori due to ORAS (less so after SM), but I like Unno even more, due to BW2.

Last edited:
Just saying that you should be careful when assuming that a director will always satisfy you. B2W2, ORAS and now USUM were based on previous games, so there is only so much they can deviate from their predecessors.

I'm still open to seeing if USUM turn out to be really good games or not, though buying what was basically the beta a few months ago only for an outright improvement is pretty insulting to the biggest fans. I know it's normal, but it essentially chalks up to being highly overpriced DLC. A whole game that's not even a sequel (at least sequels are best enjoyed having played the original first, so buying the original isn't a waste), but rather a flat out upgrade releasing only a year later is still...insulting. If nothing else, I wish I had only bought Sun and not Moon.

With Takao Unno being director of US/UM, and he did directed B2W2, I wonder if US/UM will be similar how B2W2 was, except a better post-game.

I have this completely unrealistic expectation that these games will put back the stuff Sun and Moon didn't had from Gen 6 like Friend Safari, Horde Battles, DexNav and so forth.

Guess i can just get my disappointment out of the way and prepare myself mentally that this is not happening.

How much content do you really expect them to add in a third version released just one year after the original? What little we know about this game limits what they can do to improve over the original.

I'm still hoping that these won't just be traditional third version games. I don't know how much new content they could have, but I would hope that they wouldn't just suddenly revert back to traditional third version games now. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic here, but like I've been saying, I'd rather be hopeful whenever possible. The lack of news, while not good, alone isn't enough for me to have serious doubts about the games right now.

I'm still open to seeing if USUM turn out to be really good games or not, though buying what was basically the beta a few months ago only for an outright improvement is pretty insulting to the biggest fans. I know it's normal, but it essentially chalks up to being highly overpriced DLC. A whole game that's not even a sequel (at least sequels are best enjoyed having played the original first, so buying the original isn't a waste), but rather a flat out upgrade releasing only a year later is still...insulting. If nothing else, I wish I had only bought Sun and not Moon.

I don't really understand the notion that Sun/Moon would basically be the beta versions if US/UM are traditional third version games. Even if that does happen, I don't see how that would make Sun/Moon necessarily feel less like actual completed games. I understand the issue of buying an upgraded version of the same game when DLC exist. That's one of the reasons why I hope that these aren't traditional third version games considering how outdated this format is in this day and age, but I don't think that would make Sun/Moon feel like the beta versions.

Why is everyone assuming that these will just be regular old dual third versions? Remember, Nintendo scolded Game Freak for that last time, so we got B2W2 instead. Otherwise, Nintendo would have jsut forced Game Freak to focus on the Switch game instead. I'm willing to bet that this "alternate story" will at least change the way the plot progresses if nothing else, such as Lusamine not using Nebby or Necrozma to open up a portal to Ultra Space, but instead doing something to draw the Ultra Beasts to Alola.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom