• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Why is everyone assuming that these will just be regular old dual third versions? Remember, Nintendo scolded Game Freak for that last time, so we got B2W2 instead. Otherwise, Nintendo would have jsut forced Game Freak to focus on the Switch game instead. I'm willing to bet that this "alternate story" will at least change the way the plot progresses if nothing else, such as Lusamine not using Nebby or Necrozma to open up a portal to Ultra Space, but instead doing something to draw the Ultra Beasts to Alola.
i mean, to be fair the reasoning for Gray becoming BW2 was that it needed an extra jush to justify it being on the DS when the 3DS was already out. since the Switch isn't technically the successor of the 3DS (even though we all know it's where we're ultimately ending up), USUM wouldn't need that extra something.

Just saying that you should be careful when assuming that a director will always satisfy you. B2W2, ORAS and now USUM were based on previous games, so there is only so much they can deviate from their predecessors.
Well, the thing is, Unno hasn´t disappointed me yet. That´s why I hope he lives up to my expectations.

And about not buying SM... the reason SM were dissapointing for me is that they are barren as fuck content wise: The actual region, I like a lot. The atmosphere, is great. The soundtrack is high quality. The characters are interesting. Literally the only thing disappointing was the lack of content, and removal of established content (Battle Institute, Triple and Rotation Battles, Inverse battles, etc) and the lack of a replacement given to us.

That´s where TAKAO UNNO comes into play: his only job in USUM for me to make me buy the game, is modify and improve the amount and variety of content, like he did to BW with BW2. He doesn't need to change the core stuff, cause I already like most of it (region atmosphere, soundtrack, characters, Pokemon, etc). The only thing he needs to do is fill this great region with loads of features and things to do in the postgame.

Last edited:
If all you want is a PWT-like Battle Tree with rotation/triple battles, you aren't getting that here.

If you want old legendaries... yawn. You got them all in ORAS.

Kallyle said:
I'm willing to bet that this "alternate story" will at least change the way the plot progresses if nothing else, such as Lusamine not using Nebby or Necrozma to open up a portal to Ultra Space, but instead doing something to draw the Ultra Beasts to Alola.
That's third version material if I ever saw one. Some of you are trying too hard to view "alternate story" as something new and innovative.

And the circumstances with Nintendo are different this time around:

1. Iwata is dead. He is the one who was against a paired version release.
2. Game Freak seem to be aiming for a 2018 Switch release. Nintendo are probably happy with that and don't really care about the last 3DS games.

Last edited:
If all you want is a PWT-like Battle Tree with rotation/triple battles, you aren't getting that here.
Yes, that is exactly what I want. Or equivalent features. I would like Inverse battles replacing Triple/Rotation as a Battle Tree option. Something like Pokestar added, since Alola doesnñt have a similar feature (and BW2 added it). And yes, mainly and mostly, what I want is the PWT or Battle Frontier back... or a similar concept. Id doesn´t HAVE to be the PWT of BF, just something similar to one of them would do it for me.

I don´t understand why are you so sure we are getting nothing similar this time.
If you want old legendaries... yawn. You got them all in ORAS.
Nah, legendaries are not a game seller for me, not at all.

doesn´t HAVE to be the PWT of BF, just something similar to one of them would do it for me.
The Battle Tree is a downgraded PWT. They'll probably add more characters, but not nearly as many as the PWT had due to their laziness with models.

The Battle Frontier or something close... Just refer to that infamous ORAS interview. You didn't seem to mind it back then.

I doubt that they would have removed Inverse Battles only to bring them back a year later. And they were hardly ever popular.

Overall, battle facilities are such a shallow reason not to buy SM and yet immediately be hyped for USUM.

Last edited:
The Battle Tree is a downgraded PWT.
And I want it upgraded again.
They'll probably add more characters, but not nearly as many as the PWT had due to their laziness with models.
We don´t know that: they might bother this time, since they have no core work to do for these games.
The Battle Frontier or something close... Just refer to that infamous ORAS interview. You didn't seem to mind it back then.
It did bother me in ORAS, but at least there was some more variety than simply singles/ doubles, thanks to Rotation, Triple, Innverse and Battle Institute. (And Contests and Secret Bases. Two things that gave a vaiety to ORAS that SM clearly lacks, to, at least partially, make it up for the lack of a Battle Frontier.)
I doubt that they would have removed Inverse Battles only to bring them back a year later. And they were hardly ever popular.
Ok, then they should come up with a better alternative. The fact is that XY/ORAS had 5 Battle Modes in their Tower Clone, and SM only had 3. I am waiting for 2 extra modes to make them 5 again and if they think the removed ones weren't popular enough, they need to add some new ones then.
Overall, battle facilities are such a shallow reason not to buy SM and yet immediately be hyped for USUM.
Not for me. Postgame Battle Facilities, are literally the primary reason why I play Pokemon games. It's what I wait for during the whole main game until the story ends. It's my favorite part of all Pokemon games. (and stuff like Super Secret Base making).

And they need to give me some incentive to buy USUM. They did it with Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and BW2. They should do it now as well, and they probably will.

I mean, they need to SELL the game. You think they won´t have a new plot, you think they won't have new Battle Facilities and Battle styles... so how do you think they will sell the game then? I am sure Game Freak are intelligent enough to add new battle facilities at the least, if not a side feature like Contests as well.

They need to SELL the game, and a few new Pokemon Formes or Regional Variants won´t be enough. And they know it.

Last edited:
They will sell it the way they did with Emerald and Platinum, except they will treat any Battle Tree expansion as the greatest thing ever. Hell, you were excited about the Battle Tree to begin with, so they don't need to go out of their way with the marketing.

I couldn't care less about the variety of battle facilities (and if I wanted more of the PWT, I would play B2W2), so whatever. Enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
The third version of YW 2 sold so ridiculously well that it probably gave Game Freak the idea of revisiting the third version concept for the next generation. Too bad that they're unlikely to mimic the free DLC concept.

I voted "Reserving judgement until more information" in the poll.

However, I definitely would've been much happier with remakes of Diamond & Pearl (even if on the 3DS and not the Switch), and between the rumors that USUM will be pretty much the same story just set one year later & the news that there is indeed a main series game in development for the Switch to be released in 2018...I'm leaning towards passing on these games unless they end up making a new Alolan Form that I really like or some of the other "leaks" which seem highly unlikely actually turn out to be true (like Z-forms/Ultra evolution)

Historically I have tended to like third versions much less than remakes...

It depends on what same we're getting next year. If we get Sinnoh Remake, we might get Sinnoh forms, or if we get Kanto/Johto Sequel we might get Kanto forms. I'ts probably not likely but I do like Form changes

@JFrombaugh I think Z-forms/Ultra Evolution are likely because we might learn the lore of Z-crystal, In the trailer, the trainer twisting his Z-crystal unlocking some sort of power, I doubt it'll be exclusive to Solgaleo, Lunaala and Necromza Fusion, especially with that symbol on their head. I just want to see if Z-crystal does more than just unleashing powerful moves.

I'm talking the same amount of effort they put into BW2.
With Takao Unno being a director of US/UM, I think they'll the same amount of effort in US/UM like BW2, the only thing I'm concern is the Post-game. They probably need to give us some sort of Delta-like Episode, maybe called a "Ultra Eclipse" Episode.

Even compared to XY?
XY had its problems but for me personally it felt like every area you moved to just had so many pokemon.

That whole game I was excited because each area I moved to I was finding so many pokemon I wanted.

XY also had superior internet features and ingame things you could do post game compared to SM.

On the note of SM being story driven....Story is great but no excuse to limit in game features or have inaccessible or just unfinished in game area's.

You can get story from anywhere,books,comics,TV movies,but games are the only places you can play games.

The playing aspect should be first place and never drawfed by story like SM,the anime is the place for big stories not in game.

The games should be about you making your story.

I would love if Pokemon games started getting much higher quality stories. Gen V and SM were steps in the right direction, but still not good enough. Better stories are a must have, not that I ever expect them to match Final Fantasy quality stories under GameFreak, but still. SM's was somewhat poorly executed--too slow, too many cutscenes and extended interruptions, etc. Games with high quality stories don't always have to be like that. If we could get stories that surpass Gen V and SM, while also retaining the pace of games from Gen IV/V rather than SM's slowness (except make them a bit longer), that would be really nice.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom