• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Not only do I feel like I would've waited for USUM if I'd have known it was coming, but I also feel tricked into not doing so. The last two generations had been moving away from third versions with BW2 being a sequel that was a completely new experience and XY not getting anything at all. So there was no longer the sense of "well, there's going to be a superior version anyway, so I should wait for that". Now, having given people the expectation that there isn't going to be a superior version they create a superior version. Seems awfully manipulative.

Not only do I feel like I would've waited for USUM if I'd have known it was coming, but I also feel tricked into not doing so. The last two generations had been moving away from third versions with BW2 being a sequel that was a completely new experience and XY not getting anything at all. So there was no longer the sense of "well, there's going to be a superior version anyway, so I should wait for that". Now, having given people the expectation that there isn't going to be a superior version they create a superior version. Seems awfully manipulative.
I tell you, that is one of the biggest reasons why I hope it's not your generic 3rd version split in 2.

You're right that for 2 generations straight, we've had either sequels or nothing at all, so people had started thinking game freak realized 3rd versions are inferior to sequels or anything that adds more to a set of games than a third version does.

Alas, it was kind of to be expected tbh, because in yet another interview, Masuda talked about how they always try to do something the fans won't be expecting/predict, and that is how sequels came to be as an idea. Presumably, no 3rd version/sequels for XY was done due to the same logic and that's really bad imo. Kalos will forever remain marred by no game(s) to fix it. They could have easily done sequels that include parts of the infamous south Kalos or something...

Either way, the sad part is that even some pokemon designs are what they are because gamefreak sees a lot of fakemon evolutions and decides to go in a direction less predicted by fans... so the same goes for games. If you see the fanbase shifting in a certain direction of predictability, better start expecting Gamefreak to give the thing that stopped being expected (nott that it's a 100% scenario or anything, but worth considering)

My feelings for USUM started abysmally low. Over time, they became less negative and more neutral. With the reveal of Dusk Lycanroc, my feelings became more positive. I liked it--got a nickname picked out and everything. Now, with the news that Dusk Lycanroc is event exclusive, which also implies the possibility that it may not be nickname-able or transferable (like to Bank), has killed my hopes once more and I'm back down to abysmally low.

fakemon evolutions and decides to go in a direction less predicted by fans

Which, considering that fakemon often represent the fans' strongest desires for new Pokemon, is kinda dumb. I get why they do it, but they've been ignoring most fan wishes for a long while, which isn't the best idea. A lot of fakemon are better than the real deals. (of course, we're taking this entire assumption with a grain of salt--perhaps they don't do this at all)

Last edited:
With Worlds coming up in August 18th, we might maybe some small news like they with XY, ORAS, SM. Also a Mystery Product will be unveiled till August 31st. It feels like we need more news than just small news, look what happen to Lyanroc, and it sure got some disappointed, because it didn't turn out to be what expected. We got three month left till the release of USUM, I don't want the next few months to slowly introduce news, especially one pokemon form per month, they could've done it like they did B2W2. So GF won't have to worry about spoiling the games.

For me, the problem is that with what happened with Lycanroc Dusk Form and the slow news regarding USUM, as well as the fact that there is a main Pokémon on the horizon for the Switch that could come out as early as 2018, if Gamefreak wants me to stay interested in USUM, they need to show me something substantial so I will be willing to spend forty dollars on it since we know a Pokémon for Switch is coming, especially since I already have Sun/Moon. As I stated earlier in this thread, I started out not knowing what to think about USUM since we haven't seen much yet. I needed to see more before I could make a judgement on the game. However, with what happened with Lycanroc Dusk Form, and the slow news, I am becoming very impatient. They need to show me something, sooner rather than later, and not just event Pokémon. I want to know more of what they mean by "alternate story".

I think the biggest issue is that we're right back where we started.
Dusk Doggo was our first piece of legit USUM news and it generated a lot of speculation despite its mixed reception.
All that speculation went down the drain once it was revealed that it's an event only mon.
Now we're back at the drawing board

Last edited:
I the biggest issue is that we're right back where we started.
Dusk Doggo was our first piece of legit USUM news and it generated a lot of speculation despite its mixed reception.
All that speculation went down the drain once it was revealed that it's an event only mon.
Now we're back at the drawing board
This pretty much...
I would not care so much about the paintjob carrotwolf is if it wasn't a gift event-only pokemon because it would still mean USUM have new forms and possibly new alolan variants

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...now we learned it only exists because Ash had to have another special snowflake pokemon, so it literally means nothing for USUM's content at all. They even said so in the anime episode that Ash's dog only became a carrotwolf because of the green flash >_> ...

Soo yeah, now we are back to square 1, wondering if there is anything new in USUM in rgeards to forms/alolan variants..all we really know so far is that they tweaked the aesthetics of the environment and that they added guitars to the wild battle theme

Two months in, and I have to say, I'm actually a bit more skeptical than I was before. And I was pretty disappointed that we didn't get the rumored DP remakes to begin with.

With regards to the whole "alternate universe" thing, one thing that's worth pointing out is that it's actually already acknlowedged in-universe with ORAS that versions of the same game themselves are in fact, effectively different universes. So when the official site claims USUM will be an alternate timeline of Sun & Moon, this could very well just be their way of saying it's a Platinum-like third version split in two and not a sequel like BW2. They could be saying, "OK, we're gonna have Lusamine become obsessed with capturing Necrozma instead of Nihilego and that's an alternate story."

...Yeah techncially, but you get what I'm saying? They could just be making it so that in the year between the two games the Pokemon League was built, and now there's an actual new-NPC Champion for you to fight instead of Professor Kukui. Or maybe Mina actually got around to setting up a Fairy-type trial in Vast Poni Canyon. You get what I'm saying, kind of a cop-out alternate Alola, where most fans are like "Well it technically is an alternate story, but not really, who cares?"

Because here's the thing. If Game Freak was planning on adding some HUGE additions to USUM, we probably should start seeing teasers by now. So far all we've really gotten is the new Solgaleo/Lunala Forms and Dusk Lycanroc - and the latter has already been confirmed to be an event-only, essentially ruling out what many people (including myself) intially assumed, which was that there'd be a Dawn Form as well, and the two would evolve in-game somehow. We haven't seen any new tabs open up on the official website teasing any radically new features that might encourage veterans of the series to shell out $40 for the games, like new battle facilities or new Alolan Forms.

So while I suspect I will buy it eventually, and I voted "reserving judgement until more information" in the poll, I have to agree that I'm still not exactly excited for USUM, and I'm definitely in the camp who enjoys remakes much more than third versions of the same region. I'd like to think that something could be announced soon to make me want to buy them when they release this November, but history kind of tells us otherwise...

Last edited:
They could be saying, "OK, we're gonna have Lusamine become obsessed with capturing Necrozma instead of Nihilego and that's an alternate story."
I personally think they aren't going to do that with USUM for that exact reason. Going after Necrozma would be too predictable. Personally, while I don't think USUM will be too different from third versions, I am at least thinking that Game Freak will try to give Lusamine a different avenue for accomplishing her goals instead of "capture mascot to reach Ultra Space". Basically, I think that there's a chance that Lusamine's going to do something that draws the Ultra Beasts to her instead of trying to go to where the Ultra Beasts are. I also don't see the mascots being involved with that for the same reason; it's too predictable (thought I do think Nerozma/the Utra mascots will try to murder her for attempting this). For all we know, Lusamine might try to use the Z-crystals and flood the Alola region in Z-power, which would ultimately attract the Ultra Beasts.

Basically, whether or not they end up dual-third versions like Masuda originally wanted for B2W2, I at least think that GF will try to do something to make them different from the standard third version. That being said, the topic of Game Freak actually succeeding in this regard is another matter entirely.

What do we really know that changes anything?

The photo taking picture is cute (still a better feature than the Pokemon following feature), but not a game-seller for me. What else is there?

Yeah, that region map pretty much clinches that this is a lazy, cash grabby third version. It's pretty much a copy/paste job. No new areas, no noticeable changes to the region, just the same old Alola with the same old areas. Probably just SM all over again with some bells and whistles, it's pretty clear at this point that this game is nowhere near as big an improvement as BW2.

Yeah, that region map pretty much clinches that this is a lazy, cash grabby third version. It's pretty much a copy/paste job. No new areas, no noticeable changes to the region, just the same old Alola with the same old areas. Probably just SM all over again with some bells and whistles, it's pretty clear at this point that this game is nowhere near as big an improvement as BW2.
While I agree entirely with this opinion, go to the post game thread for an idea on possible new areas.

Like several others, my thoughts are becoming more hopeful, but I still need to see more before I make a final decision.

The only thing that has made me a bit more excited about these games is the Alola Photo Club. I've always been hoping for a feature in which you can take good pics with your mons and this has so many features included, it's better than I ever hoped for.

Then again, this very feature also makes me more wary about USUM's new features. It seems that a lot of effort has been put in the Photo Club and that those open lots in SuMo are now being filled with Photo Clubs. Makes me feel as if this feature is going to be the biggest thing in USUM and that would be one major disappointment. I love it, but only to make one or two pictures or so, it isn't going to keep me busy the whole game long.

However, this feature is important enough for me to actually buy the games now, while I wasn't interested in any way in the games before this.

I keep my hopes low, and my expectations lower. I don't like to be disappointed, so I try not to get my heart set on anything major.

To me, these games just seem like the next upgrade. Like a third version. Doesn't mean it's bad in any regard, just that it might not quite be worth what I'm gonna pay for it. Not gonna stop me though.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom