• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
The recent comments about this game having tons of content make me a little more hopeful that this will turn out to be worthwhile, but I need more than just PR statements to really be excited for this game. WHAT makes this game twice as long as SM? HOW will this game provide more content than Emerald and Platinum? They haven't really answered those questions, and until they do I can't really commit to a purchase on this game.

Sorry if this sounds like hate, but the instant I first saw the repeated cutscenes in screenshots and trailers, I concluded USUM are "better" third/fourth versions and worse than B2W2. I mean, even if they wanted to use the same characters and keep the progression the same (Route 1 to Altar of the Sunne/Moone), they didn't have to reuse scenes and dialogue. The only way I can forgive this regression is if they couldn't do anything better this year because they're trying to release the Switch game next year.

Last edited:
Is it possible for a game to be the best and worst entry in the series at the same time? Because it looks like we're heading there.

Is a year that long?
More like 5. SM is a good game, don't get me wrong, but I personally have struggled getting fully into it for a good while, and 11 months later I am only on Ula Ula. Both XY and ORAS were fun, especially ORAS as RSE were great games to begin with, but the last time I truly looked at the prelease info and got everything I needed from a game was B2W2. Same thing with USUM.
-Trials look to be more interactive with less text and more actual cutscenes.
-Rotom Dex isn't just there and actually offers some cool Gameplay incentives.
-Both the post game and main game have some cool side activities and quests.
-Ultra Space being fully explained.

Of course some of USUM would not be possible in the first games of a generation, but USUM is looking to be a much more cohesive project then the slapdash of ideas and shoddy execution that SM was.

I was joking (no offense) since you always seem very hyped. Hindsight is a bitch.

But USUM could be as good as B2W2 for you... maybe.
Just cause I like speculating(A LOT), doesn't mean that the game we get is going to excite me as much. Yeah I get hyped a lot early on, but by October when leaks started to happen, it started to look like SM weren't going to be all that.

Is it possible for a game to be the best and worst entry in the series at the same time? Because it looks like we're heading there.
Well it did happen before. I have seen extremely diverging opinions for the Gen V games. Some say they're the best while others consider them the worst of the franchise.

Current status: Hype actually exists!

I was always going to buy USUM, and I was always going to find them to be at least decent. That much was never in question, because I think main series Pokémon games are always “at least decent.” Essentially, the bar I will end up holding USUM to is, “How different is this experience from SM?” I really liked SM, but if I want to relive them, I can just reset my Sun cartridge. So my main concern with USUM was that they’d feel little more than as if I’d done exactly that.

But looking at all that we know now, I don’t think I can say with anything resembling reason that USUM will be virtually the same experience as SM. I am very surprised - I do think that they could have, theoretically, gotten away with a totally slapdash, minimum-effort third version, but USUM look to be a lot more than that. I didn’t see any need for sequels to SM (at least, not ones set in Alola), but when USUM were first revealed, I did still want them to be a big shake-up. And while they don’t seem like quite what I had in mind, they have exceeded my expectations nonetheless. Probably enough for me to be happy with.

What we learned today confirms one thing that I have wanted for a very long time (an easier way to collect Move Tutor currency; I hate collecting BP and obtaining Shards has always been a little tedious) and comes very close to confirming another (the addition of an absolute deluge of microquests). On top of a story that looks to veer off from SM’s in very significant ways (far more than just saying “oh by the way Rayquaza/Giratina exists” at the eleventh hour), Mantine Surfing, yet more amazing Ultra Beast designs, and the ability to see the kinds of bizarre environments they inhabit, there is a lot for me to look forward to. I started off at the baseline level of interest that I always feel for new Pokémon games, but now I am properly excited for these games as a specific entry.

An easier way to get tutor moves? I do like this, but it was never high on my wishlist. Gen VI handing them out after each individual battle rather than every set of seven was enough for me; I've never had trouble saving up BP in that generation compared to III/IV/V.

I'd just want to comment how I'm getting B2W2 vibes from USUM, with ultra megalopolis being the black city/white forest, and of course the necrozma forms similar to kyurem's.

It's cool how Kyurem forms have kyurem looks with reshiram/zekrom body, while necrozma forms have necrozma body and solgaleo/lunala looks.

I am not sold on anything in these games. The features that are even on my radar (as in I am not completely indifferent to them) are just the plot changes and the new post-game story, but do I like them? Not at all, although I guess I still need more information about the former; I'm fairly sure that it all leads to Necrozma's true form, which is a boring concept. Either way, I can just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and call it a day.

i'm honestly still not sold. the marketing on one of the key parts, the story, has just been so muddied with a lot of information that just doesn't help. they show a lot of stuff that happened in SM, they show stuff that happened in SM but with updated characters (re: URS in the beginning, Mina on Seafolk Village, Kahili in Grand Poni), and then new story material.... it just all leaves me feeling that the story is going to be very DP-esque in that there's just a lot of pointless exposition to a quick, non-sensical rising action and ultimately climax. the other features seem nice but they're also not quite selling point either, least not if the main campaign is as messy as it seems. the RR post-game seems interesting at least.

definitely gonna sit this game out for a while unless the reviews help it out some.

Reviewers are generally very forgiving when it comes to Pokemon (all the main series games have a Metascore in the 80-90 range). Like most players, I guess.
oh i know. they just sometimes give out somewhat useful information. a good score wouldn't really change my mind so much as what the reviews have to say about it overall.

Okay, but if you're on fence due to the muddy story details, then relying on reviews could be problematic. Some people thought that the Distortion World alone was a selling point. Did you?

Anyway, I'm almost sure that the plot changes before Poni Island are just exposition.

I'm not interested in this game at all. S/M are some of the worst Pokemon games. Ultra Beasts are hideous, Alola is one of the worst regions, and the majority of the new stuff in US/UM could've easily been in S/M. Them announcing the game not even one year after S/M were released left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom