• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
We're nearly two weeks away and... frankly, I'm finding it harder to stay hyped. Rainbow Rocket is telling me that GF has no confidence in the Gen 7 character roster; why else would they feel the need to bring back every prior villain team leader? There is no anniversary this time, so there's no excuse to rehash the past to this magnitude. 2018 is almost upon us and these guys act like we're still in 2016.

I'll just hope TRR's plot relevance is minimal, 'cause I don't like what I'm seeing anymore.

What I think is the worst part in all of this, is mid-gen new exclusives. "Uh but exclusives have been in third versions before" yeah but not new pokemon exclusives, not new totem form exclusives, and so much more new things we got mid-gen. You can trade of course, but it doesn't excuse the fact that this is a bait/cashgrab to buy both games. At least if it's a new gen game fine, I accept exclusives for what they are. But promoting new exclusives twice in a gen is infuriating. Before you only had to get emerald, or platinum. And yes BW2 has exclusives but those are all old exclusives that newbies wouldn't have anyway. You shouldn't have to keep trading because the devs couldn't be bothered to put everything in the game twice in a gen.

What I think is the worst part in all of this, is mid-gen new exclusives. "Uh but exclusives have been in third versions before" yeah but not new pokemon exclusives, not new totem form exclusives, and so much more new things we got mid-gen. You can trade of course, but it doesn't excuse the fact that this is a bait/cashgrab to buy both games. At least if it's a new gen game fine, I accept exclusives for what they are. But promoting new exclusives twice in a gen is infuriating. Before you only had to get emerald, or platinum. And yes BW2 has exclusives but those are all old exclusives that newbies wouldn't have anyway. You shouldn't have to keep trading because the devs couldn't be bothered to put everything in the game twice in a gen.
Lol half the fan base wanted new pokemon mid gen since forever. Also this fandom uses the term cashgab really lightly. They could have made alternate forms really easily but instead went on for new pkmn but nah. Anyway as for new forms themselves, third versions always had untradable new forms.

But my point is that they're locking the new stuff twice in a gen to exclusives. At least with ORAS you got both items to primal evolve in a single game. What's next, necrozma's new forms can only be accessed to the version you're in? So no lunala+necrozma in ultra sun.

But my point is that they're locking the new stuff twice in a gen to exclusives. At least with ORAS you got both items to primal evolve in a single game. What's next, necrozma's new forms can only be accessed to the version you're in? So no lunala+necrozma in ultra sun.
What do you mean locking? When did that happen? Are you referring to how Cosmoem evolves based on version? You could simply trade for it.

I mean how everything new is version based. Again. "Ah don't worry all these new pokemon and features will all come together in the third version" now it's "well you gotta go through trading again for a second time"

When Dusk Lycanroc was revealed everyone was like "ITS A CASHGRAB LOW EFFORT FORM TO GET US TO BUY BOTH GAMES WTF GAMEFREAK GIVE US SOMETHING BETTER lol CARROTWOLF"

And when there are real exclusive new Pokemon "ITS A CASHGRAB SINCE THERE ARE MORE EXCLUSIVE POKÉMON AND IT FORCES US TO BUY GAMES"

It’s almost as if everyone will hate on USUM in every scenario.

It's great we are getting new pokemon. But why did they have to split them up between two games? Is it because they know that "third versions" don't sell well compared to the first? They could have made the only differences story related and that would have been fine.

It's great we are getting new pokemon. But why did they have to split them up between two games? Is it because they know that "third versions" don't sell well compared to the first? They could have made the only differences story related and that would have been fine.
Well I guess they had to make split versions because B2W2 sold more than usual third versions. Also if they had plans on making Necrozma some kind of parasitic creature then they had to go for two versions. And since the previous Sun and Moon had version exclusives so does this one.

Gotta admit I was one of the people from the very beginning that were a bit off put by these games. After hearing GF say they were done with 3rd versions because they were boring and predictable I was pretty disappointed that they went back. That said after all we've seen and there seemingly still being new surprises for them to reveal I can honestly say I'm excited. I really am glad that they're putting all the stuff they are in these games. I was afraid that I'd just be buying the same game as I did last year with only minor updates like Emerald/Platinum, but they've certainly shown us these games are quite different. Really looking forward to exploring the NEW Alola. Now I just need to see if there's any new Alolan forms and I'll be a very happy camper lol

When Dusk Lycanroc was revealed everyone was like "ITS A CASHGRAB LOW EFFORT FORM TO GET US TO BUY BOTH GAMES WTF GAMEFREAK GIVE US SOMETHING BETTER lol CARROTWOLF"

And when there are real exclusive new Pokemon "ITS A CASHGRAB SINCE THERE ARE MORE EXCLUSIVE POKÉMON AND IT FORCES US TO BUY GAMES"

It’s almost as if everyone will hate on USUM in every scenario.

It's called "giving the customer more bang for their buck". Throwing in more version exclusives doesn't exactly help that, it dilutes the amount of added Pokemon.

Well I guess they had to make split versions because B2W2 sold more than usual third versions. Also if they had plans on making Necrozma some kind of parasitic creature then they had to go for two versions. And since the previous Sun and Moon had version exclusives so does this one.
Those are probably what went through Game Freak's minds, TBH. All of those are legitimate reasons for why they would do this.

Those are probably what went through Game Freak's minds, TBH. All of those are legitimate reasons for why they would do this.

Plus, SM have more version-exclusive content than any previous games. Not just Pokémon or aesthetic differences (or a garbage Key System), but there’s the time of day inversion, the version-exclusive Totem Pokémon, the clothing colors and Festival Plaza shops, the Battle Tree partners, the Kiawe/Mallow sidequest, and branched evolutions for Cosmoem and captured Rockruff. And on top of all of that stuff, in USUM we also have the version-exclusive URS members and motives. I don’t think it’s terribly surprising that as the amount of version-exclusive content increases, the desire to continue releasing paired versions increases, and personally, I think that’s reasonable - I feel that if they’re going to make paired versions, they should make them stand out more from each other.

Of course, even Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum tried to simulate their own feeling of version exclusivity, by leaving out select Pokémon that appeared in the original pair.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom