• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
you know for the a while i was in the whole camp of "if you give us two games at least make them feel like two games," but after the whole Fire Emblem Birthright-Conquest-Revelation debacle it kinda soured the whole two distinctly separate games approach. i'd much rather pay for one game knowing that the only thing i'm missing out on is some Pokemon and not this laundry list of exclusive content.

you know for the a while i was in the whole camp of "if you give us two games at least make them feel like two games," but after the whole Fire Emblem Birthright-Conquest-Revelation debacle it kinda soured the whole two distinctly separate games approach. i'd much rather pay for one game knowing that the only thing i'm missing out on is some Pokemon and not this laundry list of exclusive content.

Well, I don’t really know anything about Fire Emblem, but I suppose I should clarify that I didn’t mean I wanted them to start making two totally different games - I think SM and USUM hit the sweet spot in terms of what I like to see when it comes to version differences (although having version-exclusive clothing colors is pretty dumb). They’re still basically the same gaming experience, but there is enough of the smaller pieces of content that are specific to either version to make them both feel a little more unique from each other.

I’m excited. I’m 29 years old and I’ve been excited for the release of main series Pokemon games every single time since the very beginning.

It’s nice.

It always makes me laugh when I see things like ‘why do GF hate us’ or ‘cash grab’ or anything to that effect.

Game Freak don’t hate us. Even when a portion of the fandom hate on them, they keep delivering.

Sure there are games I like more than others by the time I’ve finished a play through. BW, HGSS and XY (purely because it was a joy to see the main series Pokemon world realised in 3D for the first time) are particular highlights for me.

But the amount of content that seems to have been poured into USUM is something to really look forward to though. I can’t wait.

If anything, Fates could be used as a benchmark for GF. Fates were excellent in creating a paired version experience.

Excitement's kind of been dampened thanks to certain revelations, but the move tutor moves are pretty much a "Smogon's greatest hits" assortment, which will greatly help my Monotype teams.

The storyline looks absolutely insane. That and the new mons are enough for a buy from me, but my opinions would be very different if I didn't have the disposable cash that I have at the moment. I really won't be sure it's truly worth it until I play it firsthand, which is naturally a rather unfortunate situation to be in. I am cautiously optimistic!

They're a significant downgrade from B2W2, unless you're obsessed with Ultra Space. How they compare to previous third versions should be beside the point in 2017.

And even by third version standards

they're really not that much better. All they have are a handful of new Pokemon and a Delta Episode-esque post game arc.

Definitely a massive step back for the series.

And even by third version standards

they're really not that much better. All they have are a handful of new Pokemon and a Delta Episode-esque post game arc.

Definitely a massive step back for the series.
And which other third version did better? Platinum and Emerald because of Battle frontier? You may be interested in them but that doesn't mean everybody else is. Please lets not treat our opinions as facts.

He said "not that much better" and never claimed that his opinion was fact. Calm down.
I apologize if I sounded rude but while the story line changes might not be to your appeal, discounting them completely because you read the script isn't fair. I agree they are a step back from B2W2 which are my favourite games but they aren't typical third versions. Emerald squeezed both teams and added Rayquaza while Platinum added the Distortion World. USUM clearly take it a step further, if not two. It is understandable to be annoyed about the lack of forms or battle facilities. But speaking of the former, how many did the previous third versions or B2W2 introduce? In fact while Naganadel may be late, it is still usable for the last trial, E4 and RR postgame. ( Which btw is the most elaborate postgame story we have got besides the Delta episode.)

I am not discounting them. Some people may think that the additions are worth $40, which is okay I guess. I suspect that this mindset has more to do with not wanting to wait two more years to play a new game, but I digress.

I am personally not interested in comparisons to Emerald/Platinum because the point is that we shouldn't be dealing with a glorified third version to begin with.

Regarding forms: Those are the things that ORAS set the bar for. In previous generations there were more Pokemon to begin with and thus forms weren't as needed.

I am not discounting them. Some people may think that the additions are worth $40, which is okay I guess (I think that this mindset has more to do with not wanting to wait two more years to play a new game, but I digress).

I am personally not interested in comparisons to Emerald/Platinum because the point is that we shouldn't be dealing with a glorified third version to begin with.
The latter part I agree with. Though that is irrespective of my views on USUM.

There always seems to be a negative mood swing whenever the datamine leaks come out, but I’ve never found the angst justified after playing the game. I’m not expecting anything different this time.

I'm reserving judgment until the game comes out and I play it myself. It isn't meant to be read as a script, it's meant to be played and seen on a screen, and this is an important distinction to make. Not sure it's worth $40.00, but I do think people here are being a bit too determined to hate it...It's a game! It's supposed to be fun, and hopefully it will be. If people don't enjoy it after it's released, that's a much fairer judgment than reading datamines that we aren't supposed to see.

He said "not that much better" and never claimed that his opinion was fact. Calm down.

This. I never claimed the game wasn't an improvement over Emerald and Platinum. I'm saying it's not much of one, I'd put it just above Emerald and Platinum but FAR below BW2. How this game fits the billing of "Ultra improved from Emerald and Platinum" is beyond me.

I'm reserving judgment until the game comes out and I play it myself. It isn't meant to be read as a script, it's meant to be played and seen on a screen, and this is an important distinction to make. Not sure it's worth $40.00, but I do think people here are being a bit too determined to hate it...It's a game! It's supposed to be fun, and hopefully it will be. If people don't enjoy it after it's released, that's a much fairer judgment than reading datamines that we aren't supposed to see.

Just because we aren't supposed to see them doesn't make them less legit. They reveal pretty much everything so judging the games based on it is very fair imo. And indeed playthroughs can already be found and I see that most disappointment comes from those.

From what I've heard most of the game really just is the same, so that's no surprise.

Y'all need to remember that people have just as much a right to have a negative opinion on these games than you have the right to have a positive opinion about it. If people don't want to buy the game based on what they know right now, let them. Not everyone has 40 bucks to spare on something they don't care about. I'd personally rather buy an actual new game for that money instead of something that's mostly a copy of what I've already bought last year.

I am buying them though, but more for the reason Unown Seer mentioned: I just wanna play more Pokémon and don't want to wait two more years first :p And I also just want to own the gen 7 game with the bigger selection of Pokémon, probably selling Sun and Moon in return.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom