• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Just a few days before the games release, and I admit I am excited. But I always get this feeling before a new game comes out. No, I truly won't know how I feel about the game till I play it. But I did reserve a copy (granted only of Ultra Moon, but Ill probably pick up Sun as well Day 1. Idk, maybe not.)

I do agree though that this game has not left me too interested to get it, other than the fact that its a Pokemon game. While I personally liked the 3DS era, I have to say I am more excited to see what the Switch has to offer us for a main series Pokemon game.

Yeah, there are quite a few hopes I had for the game, that were not met, but at the end of the day, I am pretty easy to please. A new main series Pokemon game is something I will always buy. I quite enjoy some of the features it has, like the Alolan photo club, as well as the new additions to the dex. Its enough for me, and I am excited to make another journey in what I think is a really fun region.

So I've waited until now waiting for some possible features which I would like but right now all I have to say is...no.

Except for the Rainbow Rocket, there isn't much I am excited about. Even for third versions that's a low for me. They may altered the story, but everything else in the region is pretty much the same and honestly, I am dissapointed. Even more than when the game was announced. It would've been better if this was the first Alola game. Through the last year I had no interest to restart SM and USUM didn't changed that.

Well see you when Gen 8 comes.

i don't buy the whole "3d is hurting the games" argument because it's not like core features are being cut; as per usual, it's just that there's "no postgame" (ie., no PWT, second region, or Battle Frontier). people just need to get through their heads that stuff like that isn't coming back. they are a product of an era where player communication was much more limited. now that communication is incredibly easy, it seems much more practical to just push for pvp instead of bland player vs AI. the Battle Agency seems to make that quite clear.
You would have a much bigger point if pvp was an actual replacement for battle facilities. They have an insane variety of battle mechanics they've introduced over the past decade, and yet we get a very limited number of formats to use them in outside of the time-limited and gimmicky Global Link competitions nor do Friendly Competitions give you battle facility-like formats to set.

This'll be the first main series game since ... well, since I stopped playing after Silver, come to think of it, that I won't be getting. I still haven't got round to finishing Sun, and I already know enough about Ultra Sun to know that I won't like it. I've never been in the habit of consuming media I know I won't like, so that's that.

We'll see what happens when Generation VIII rolls round. My suspicion is that if VIII keeps up this attempted focus on the story I won't buy those games either, but you never know

You would have a much bigger point if pvp was an actual replacement for battle facilities. They have an insane variety of battle mechanics they've introduced over the past decade, and yet we get a very limited number of formats to use them in outside of the time-limited and gimmicky Global Link competitions nor do Friendly Competitions give you battle facility-like formats to set.
there's a few things here:

1) it's irrelevant whether or not you think pvp is a replacement or an adequate enough replacement for a Battle Frontier. for Game Freak it quite clearly is the replacement. so you all can get with the program or stay pressed for generations to come.

2) the rngimmicks in the Battle Frontiers are nice, but they're also all just there to make it so that the human player can't steamroll the AI with ease. it's all done for the sake of handicapping the player as a part of the challenge. and of course, this is all somewhat baffling to me considering that everyone already bemoans how much the regional Towers 'cheat', so i can't see how they would enjoy either a modern BF or pvp that takes advantages of these gimmicks.

and 3) it goes further than pvp replacing the BF: it's about how players have a narrow sense of what constitutes postgame for a Pokemon game. everyone always does the same song and dance about postgame: gotta have PWT, gotta have BF, gotta have a second region. everyone always says the best are Platinum, HGSS, BW2, and Emerald (or some combination of the four, or the best being one of those four). ain't nobody out here commenting on ORAS or BW having respectable postgames despite the fact that they do. why not? no BF, no PWT, no second region. in a series all about trading and battling and connecting with people, it baffles me how insistent people are doing it with computers. (actually upon thinking about it a hot minute, it doesn't confuse me, there's a clear reason why.)

and of course as an expansion to my previous post, if 3d were really an issue, USUM would be massive considering the amount of work that would have already been set up for it.

Well I had said I would reserve my judgement until more information had been revealed and with the entire game leaking out I now have enough information to make my decision and these games seem like a pass for me. I didn't really like SM there were things in there that were not well thought out and here it seems like it is the same. I might rent them but I don't think I will be buying either of these two games.

I am really hoping that they give Pokemon Switch their a-game.

Now that I've seen all the reveals and some spoilers... I'm going to have to give USUM a pass. It just feels so underwhelming for a Pokemon game; its quality level seems more like a fan game than a proper main series Pokemon game, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Team Rainbow Rocket and being able to catch lots of legendaries seem like very interesting features, but if that's all these games have to offer, then it's not enough to convince me to buy it. Besides, there is a different game (well, software technically), that I already have my heart set on buying. Sorry not sorry, Pokemon.

Before, on the first reveal trailer, I was pretty optimistic on the game even with all the hate. Like I could see that there will be some redemption to USUM. Now... well I'm definitely still getting it but as Peekaboo Pikachu had said USUM is more of a fan game than an actual Pokemon game. I'm going into the game with no spoilers from the datamine, so I have no opinion on that. However, judging by the trailers there's a lot more fan service than ORAS, and the fan service in ORAS killed the nostalgia for me. I have high hopes for these games but at the same time I'm disappointed on all they have to offer so far.

its quality level seems more like a fan game than a proper main series Pokemon game, in my opinion.

Now... well I'm definitely still getting it but as Peekaboo Pikachu had said USUM is more of a fan game than an actual Pokemon game.

Genuine question here since I don’t have much in the way of experience with fan-games, but is it typical for fan-games to create really polished, high-end minigames like Surfing/Photo Club/Warp Ride?

Genuine question here since I don’t have much in the way of experience with fan-games, but is it typical for fan-games to create really polished, high-end minigames like Surfing/Photo Club/Warp Ride?
Judging that there are many fan games out there, yes. There was one where it's literally a Minecraft version of Pokemon (not Pixelmon, it's called Survival Island I think and it's on RPG Maker/Essentials).

Even if not, then pretty much everything else, especially the Necrozma fusions, Rainbow Rocket, and all past legendaries, is by far something from a fan made game, or at least extreme fanservice

Judging that there are many fan games out there, yes. There was one where it's literally a Minecraft version of Pokemon (not Pixelmon, it's called Survival Island I think and it's on RPG Maker/Essentials).

Alright, fair enough. Like I said, I wasn’t really familiar.

Even if not, then pretty much everything else, especially the Necrozma fusions, Rainbow Rocket, and all past legendaries, is by far something from a fan made game, or at least extreme fanservice

I’m not sure I fully see the logic here.

How are the Necrozma fusions extreme fanservice? Were Kyurem’s fusions extreme fanservice?

How are all the old Legendaries extreme fanservice? Was it extreme fanservice when ORAS did it, even thought the purpose of it is less to appeal to long-time fans who have already caught those Pokémon many times over by now, and more to appeal to people who might be new to the series and have never had a chance to get them before, or people who may want to use some of them for the VGCs and would need them to be clover-marked?

Rainbow Rocket, sure, I’d agree that it’s fanservice, but it runs on the same fuel as the PWT and people fawn over that all the time. (In fact, they basically said in an interview that it originally was going to be more akin to the PWT, with the evil bosses appearing as opponents in the Battle Agency, but then the story director mentioned that he could think of a way to fit them into the plot, and they decided to go with that.)

How are the Necrozma fusions extreme fanservice? Were Kyurem’s fusions extreme fanservice?

How are all the old Legendaries extreme fanservice? Was it extreme fanservice when ORAS did it, even thought the purpose of it is less to appeal to long-time fans who have already caught those Pokémon many times over by now, and more to appeal to people who might be new to the series and have never had a chance to get them before, or people who may want to use one for the VGCs?
OK first of all, I have no idea how Necrozma's fusions got into here. I was thinking of legendaries

Second, legendaries. They did that in ORAS already, making all the legendaries up to that point catchable. I already thought it was fanservice, especially with their original themes playing, too. They repeated the same thing this generation, and that frustrates me. Because while legendary hunting can be fun, it just feels forced in. Though it probably will appeal to newer fans, but they are new, so...

but it runs on the same fuel as the PWT and people fawn over that all the time.
I feel like it was more of a post-game easter egg rather than fan service. PWT doesn't have a huge affect on the plot, but judging by the trailers Rainbow Rocket would have a huge part of the plot. I thought SM's plot was good, and I believe USUM would be just as good, so adding Rainbow Rocket to the plot feels more like they want to appeal to older fans rather than focus on what they have right now, and judging by how the internet is reacting now, I doubt older fans would want to play it.

Really it's just my opinion, it's fine if you disagree

OK first of all, I have no idea how Necrozma's fusions got into here. I was thinking of legendaries

Second, legendaries. They did that in ORAS already, making all the legendaries up to that point catchable. I already thought it was fanservice, especially with their original themes playing, too. They repeated the same thing this generation, and that frustrates me. Because while legendary hunting can be fun, it just feels forced in. Though it probably will appeal to newer fans, but they are new, so...

I feel like it was more of a post-game easter egg rather than fan service. PWT doesn't have a huge affect on the plot, but judging by the trailers Rainbow Rocket would have a huge part of the plot. I thought SM's plot was good, and I believe USUM would be just as good, so adding Rainbow Rocket to the plot feels more like they want to appeal to older fans rather than focus on what they have right now, and judging by how the internet is reacting now, I doubt older fans would want to play it.

Really it's just my opinion, it's fine if you disagree

The legendaries might be fanservicy but they also have a purpose. Considering this Gen had no remakes, there's no way for newer players or players without Gen 6 to be able to get them. And this is not a new thing lmost every Gen ending game has done this. HGSS for Gen IV, B2W2 for Gen V ( Although this one didn't have that many, they still added a ton of past legendaries ), ORAS for Gen VI and finally USUM for VII.

And while I undertsand that its your opinion, RR takes place in post game and I don't think that really affects the main story.

there's a few things here:

1) it's irrelevant whether or not you think pvp is a replacement or an adequate enough replacement for a Battle Frontier. for Game Freak it quite clearly is the replacement. so you all can get with the program or stay pressed for generations to come.
After a fifth year of it, believe me, I'm past my fatigue. But I can't speak for the Battle Agency since it was in a third version. At this point, I'm not picky. I'd like to note though that at one point we had both pvp and diverse battle facilities. It was clearly seen as a supplement rather than something that can be substituted, but something changed.
ain't nobody out here commenting on ORAS or BW having respectable postgames despite the fact that they do. why not? no BF, no PWT, no second region. in a series all about trading and battling and connecting with people, it baffles me how insistent people are doing it with computers. (actually upon thinking about it a hot minute, it doesn't confuse me, there's a clear reason why.)
Actually, I would very much welcome more game modes that involve connecting with other players. In fact, when Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was up, BW was one of those games. I battle online, and I would not be opposed to more ways to do so.

Last edited:
I'm still going to get it, but I'm planning to sell my original Pokémon Sun first so I have funds for the Ultra version, as I'm not too fond of Ultra Moon's Dawn Wings mascot design. Its a good thing I haven't yet played Pokémon Sun that much (still being in the very beginning).

The Metacritic reviews are favorable for whatever that is worth. To me that isn't saying much, since most reviewers give main series games around the same score no matter what. A lot of them also thought that SM were the best games.

Metro Gaming said:
Scoring these director’s cuts is always difficult because they’re essentially the same game as before, and it seems almost like cheating to gift them the same score. It’s the only option that makes sense though, and while you’d have to be an ultra-obsessed Pokémon fan to want this if you already own the original this is definitely the superior version of an already classic game. Even if it’s only by the smallest of margins.
They gave them a 90.

Last edited:
The Metacritic reviews are favorable for whatever that is worth. To me that isn't saying much, since most reviewers give main series games around the same score no matter what. A lot of them also thought that SM were the best games.

True. Pokemon reviews never make sense. XY are the best rated games. B2W2 got worse Metacritic scores than BW and Mystery Dungeon series have non existent scores.

Since these games will be my last hurrah in the Poke-gaming world, even if they have flaws and such, I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible. From what I've observed so far, they will have their pros and cons, but I'm willing to disregard the cons if it means I can still have fun playing them. Though from what I've observed, they will still be worth every penny, as they've added some nice things to these games. While I thoroughly enjoyed SM, I will admit some of its faults could be rather glaring (namely the end credits, as I've nearly killed my 3DS batteries on that multiple times), but USUM looks like it'll tone down some of those, so that'll be a worthwhile plus. But, like I said, these games will be my last gaming experience in Pokemon, so I plan to play and enjoy them to the best of their ability.

At this point, I'm not picky. I'd like to note though that at one point we had both pvp and diverse battle facilities. It was clearly seen as a supplement rather than something that can be substituted, but something changed.
it's not really rocket science. the only time pvp and robust battle facilities coexisted was during Platinum and HGSS, during the DS era. the DS could access WiFi, but its access was somewhat limited since it only supported WEP encryption. it wasn't until the DSi was there support for WPA and WPA2, meaning XY would've been the first game that everyone was playing on a level playing field with respects to their DS's WiFi capabilities. which you know, ~it all comes together~. prior facilities supplemented human interaction due to limited capabilities. once the capabilities were developed those facilities were no longer needed.

2) the rngimmicks in the Battle Frontiers are nice, but they're also all just there to make it so that the human player can't steamroll the AI with ease. it's all done for the sake of handicapping the player as a part of the challenge. and of course, this is all somewhat baffling to me considering that everyone already bemoans how much the regional Towers 'cheat', so i can't see how they would enjoy either a modern BF or pvp that takes advantages of these gimmicks.
The gimmicks of the Frontier are quite different from the problem of facilities screwing you over; all the facilities deliberately use the normal RNG mechanics such as the trainers you face to counter you and in terms of evasion mechanics and getting protect to work almost every time the opponent uses them. The “gimmicks” are supposed to be the real challenge of the Frontier’s facilities, and most of them provide different and fun twists from the standard battle formats (with the Battle Palace actually being the Scrappy of the Battle Frontier’s legacy, but that’s besides the point).

Also, I’m sure people would enjoy these twists on battling a lot more in pvp than you seem to think. For one thing, both players are under the same wacky twist on battling, and we can’t screw each other over via RNG like the AI is capable of. For example, I’m sure a lot of people would like to face each other in Inverse Battles, which is a twist on battling that was well received.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom