• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Just bear in mind that it's been five years since B2W2 were released and review scores aren't what they used to be. So the content of the review is more important, and I haven't seen any review that overlooks the games' rehashed nature.

Hopefully USUM's sales will be a fair bit lower than B2W2's. And I am not saying that to be vindictive; I want Game Freak to move on from third versions for good.

I genuinely believe they didn't do this for the sake of reverting to third versions, but because they wanted to divert as few resources as possible from their "very challenging" project and they needed another Gen VII game.

I genuinely believe they didn't do this for the sake of reverting to third versions, but because they wanted to divert as few resources as possible from their "very challenging" project and they needed another Gen VII game.
Then it should have been DLC.
Yes, it should have been, but that doesn't mean it could have been. Usually, games that allow straight-up DLC had the intention of being upgraded/updated like that from the beginning. USUM was only thought of after SM had been already finished (or at least finalized in terms of features). Therefore, it makes me wonder if SM was capable of being upgraded with DLC in the first place. If SM couldn't be upgraded like that, then the alternatives would have been to either have no more 3DS games after SM and make the wait for Switch longer than it should be, or add more changes to USUM that they weren't able to put in due to time constraints and being pushed by Nintendo to focus more on the Switch game than anything else.

If you prefer the former, then I need to ask you this: does SM have enough content to keep us tied over? I think the Battle Royal Dome has plenty of potential to hold us over, but I'm in the minority when it comes to that. Especially since they admitted the Trails were rushed due to half of the development team being pressured to move onto the Switch, it's clear that SM has had trouble in its development. Put if you put together the rushed development, the fact that Gen 7 would have only one game that wasn't compatible with DLC, and that the Battle Royal Dome doesn't seem to be enough for people in terms of post-game content, I can see why Game Freak thought USUM was necessary. It doesn't seem like they succeeded though judging from everyone's disappointment.

Last edited:
USUM were released as separate games to generate the most profit. Nothing more and nothing less.

I can't see these games tiding anyone over for two years, except for competitive players.

I doubt that, but it's certainly possible that a lot of reviewers want to stay on Nintendo's good side so that they keep getting pre-release copies to review for their own selfish reasons. Not to mention how rabid Pokemon and Nintendo fans can get when a game gets a "bad" score (7.8/10 comes to mind).

This theory makes no sense. Nintendo doesn't really withhold pre-release copies unless they leak the games, and if the reviewers don't enjoy the game then why would they want pre-release copies of it? The reviewers don't really care whether or not the game ends up being good or bad, they just want to catch people's attention. A negative review can do that just as well, if not better, than a positive one. Nintendo and Game Freak are the only ones in this situation that really want a positive review, they need positive press to help sell the game.

The games might be disappointing from the perspective that they didn't change much from Sun and Moon, but that doesn't mean that they are bad games on their own. Sun and Moon were very well received so it shouldn't be surprising that a game which is an improvement is also doing well. If a review decides to judge the games on their own merit then he is free to do so. Lets not forget that it isn't a minus point for the game to be less different. It is problem against the developers not the game itself.

Actually, you can say that similar games deserve bad ratings. The whole point of a video game is to entertain, and if a large part of the game is recycled then and people are getting bored with those parts, then it's not really fulfilling its purpose, is it?

Yes, it should have been, but that doesn't mean it could have been. Usually, games that allow straight-up DLC had the intention of being upgraded/updated like that from the beginning. USUM was only thought of after SM had been already finished (or at least finalized in terms of features). Therefore, it makes me wonder if SM was capable of being upgraded with DLC in the first place. If SM couldn't be upgraded like that, then the alternatives would have been to either have no more 3DS games after SM and make the wait for Switch longer than it should be, or add more changes to USUM that they weren't able to put in due to time constraints and being pushed by Nintendo to focus more on the Switch game than anything else.

If you prefer the former, then I need to ask you this: does SM have enough content to keep us tied over? I think the Battle Royal Dome has plenty of potential to hold us over, but I'm in the minority when it comes to that. Especially since they admitted the Trails were rushed due to half of the development team being pressured to move onto the Switch, it's clear that SM has had trouble in its development. Put if you put together the rushed development, the fact that Gen 7 would have only one game that wasn't compatible with DLC, and that the Battle Royal Dome doesn't seem to be enough for people in terms of post-game content, I can see why Game Freak thought USUM was necessary. It doesn't seem like they succeeded though judging from everyone's disappointment.

Yeah, there is no way USUM was thought up just after SM. It takes longer than that to make a game, and Game Freak's B Team has been free since after ORAS. So they had to have decided what was next by that point.

This theory makes no sense. Nintendo doesn't really withhold pre-release copies unless they leak the games, and if the reviewers don't enjoy the game then why would they want pre-release copies of it? The reviewers don't really care whether or not the game ends up being good or bad, they just want to catch people's attention. A negative review can do that just as well, if not better, than a positive one. Nintendo and Game Freak are the only ones in this situation that really want a positive review, they need positive press to help sell the game.
If a website consistently gave Nintendo games a bad score, then eventually Nintendo would lose incentive to send them pre-release copies. How would that benefit the website?

Not that I'm saying this is the reason for the high scores, but it's an alternative to conspiracy theories.

USUM was only thought of after SM had been already finished (or at least finalized in terms of features).

If USUM wasn't thought of beforehand, then why the empty lots in SuMo, and a Trial Captain that doesn't even have a trial but is thinking about one for the future? SuMo was practically an advertisment game for USUM, you really can't tell me they didn't plan it beforehand.

I agree that most of the new stuff could've been added as DLC. Seperate DLCs even so people can actually choose which feature they actually want, I can imagine not everyone cares about the Photo Club or the Battle Agency. That would've been great really, would've gotten no complaints from me, just praise.

If USUM wasn't thought of beforehand, then why the empty lots in SuMo, and a Trial Captain that doesn't even have a trial but is thinking about one for the future? SuMo was practically an advertisment game for USUM, you really can't tell me they didn't plan it beforehand.

I agree that most of the new stuff could've been added as DLC. Seperate DLCs even so people can actually choose which feature they actually want, I can imagine not everyone cares about the Photo Club or the Battle Agency. That would've been great really, would've gotten no complaints from me, just praise.
Also considering Rainbow rocket and whatnot, and the fact that SM was advertised as "It all comes together" it seems like they were definitely planning this to connect the games some more. SM we got to see Red, Blue, Colress, Grimsley <3 and some others. And now we get to see a more villainous side of the older games. At least I hope so. And in a way SM & USUM is kind of explaining different games to a point. ORAS slightly touched upon alternate worlds. But they are straight up showing us.

I was under the impression that the games would be sequels, similar to Black 2 and White 2. I was fooled because of the fact that there's two games instead of one that updates the original, like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum did.

Ah well. Complaining won't let me go back in time to change the past.

They could have made Sinnoh remakes. DP came out in 2006 while SM came out last year.

That would be too much work on the 3DS when it’s about to die. It'd take a lot more resources from the Switch game than USUM does.
It’s better to have DP remakes on the Swich later from their perspective.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom