• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
I suppose I might have been a little hasty in my last comment. Playing Super Mystery Dungeon showed me that I can tune out the bad parts of a story if I need to. If I can endure it all, including the villain team leader's little tea party (which I shall skip without regret if there's no benefit to going through this; say what you will about SM's post-credits plot, at least it was relevant to the main story instead of being an accomplishment in ego-stroking), then wouldn't I be more or less home free? The best part about a bad story is that it eventually ends, right?

Maybe I might try it after all; maybe I won't, but GF are on notice regardless. They'd better not get too hung up on the past or use alternate dimensions as a cheap excuse for otherwise impossible nostalgia bait during Gen VIII too, or so help me...

Fun Fact: Some Scripts treat my brionne like popplio or first stage of evolution for your starter

In all seriousness, I still don't understand all this USUM hate-wagon.
You don't like it? That's fine, don't buy it — awful or not, third versions are not new to this franchise. What's the point in arguing now. What's the point on bashing something you won't even play?
How bored someone must be? (This my own general thinking, not a direct attack against someone or anything).

You're getting your Switch game, it was already confirmed. Holy.

--

Speaking of USUM, got my Ultramoon copy yesterday and I'm enjoying it like a fresh new game. I'm not really wasting my time writting down the differences between it and Moon. That's just not fun.

In all seriousness, I still don't understand all this USUM hate-wagon.
You don't like it? That's fine, don't buy it — awful or not, third versions are not new to this franchise. What's the point in arguing now. What's the point on bashing something you won't even play?
How bored someone must be? (This my own general thinking, not a direct attack against someone or anything).

You're getting your Switch game, it was already confirmed. Holy.

We are on a forum, a place where people can share their thoughts and feelings about something, and that does include criticisms about the game's perceived failings. We are all here because we are fans talking about a franchise we love, and that include the good and the bad. As long as people are descriptive of their reasons for why they dislike the game, then we are all contributing to the discussion and understanding each other on why we feel about the game we do, and that is what contributes to the environment of a forum dedicated to gathering fans from all over.

No one is 'bored' or 'hating', we're discussing things about a game, and nothing is added by attacking people who are sharing legitimate criticisms in a fair manner. If you feel the game has positive points, then do share those, that will add to what we're talking about.

I'm attacking? directly people who has never said something good about the game in a polite manner. Not someone in this forum, I already said that I wasn't aiming towards someone here. Please re-read my message.

Still, there's a big difference between sharing a negative point of view and literally bashing something without any sort of positive opinion. This is not something relative to Pokémon, anyway.
Of course, people can do whatever they want. Nowadays it's waaaaay easier wasting time saying "oh this sucks" instead of trying to say "hey I think this sucks but, eh, it has some okay points".

You don't like it? Great, feel free to complain in a way nobody thinks you're some sort of idiot.
I've already seen people harrasing others for spending their time or money playing this game. So yeah please stop defeding this sort of behaviour under the "it's their opinion" umbrella because it doesn't help at all.

And, again, I already said I didn't find anything like this in this forum — it was a general thinking.

there are fans that like something and can criticize something to make it work better and antifans, trollz that do the oposite.
Its the same with countries, corporations and everything else.

Well, they made the word 'Ultra' lose all meaning.

I don't really think I'll be buying the game. If someone gets it for me, great, but I didn't really like Sun or Moon the first time around so I doubt I'd like it that much the second time around.

Last edited:
Well, I got my copy of Ultra Sun late last night. FedEx was super late in shipping it and I got it at 6PM. I have already put in six hours into it.

It's.... the same game as Sun with some minor tweaks here and there in the beginning. I was really hoping for sequels and I kept away from most spoilers, but yeah, it's a reboot. Much like a third game would have been if they had called it Pokemon Stars but still different enough where it can be called Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon and not Sun 2 and Moon 2. It's not terrible. I enjoyed the first games enough and to see even some minor edits were a bit fun. There maybe more to the story edits later on in the game as I just got through the first Grand Trial. I can see why some people are not fans, but hey, to each his or her own. =)

WHY CANT WE CONTACT NINTENDO TO COPMPALINS
There's nothing stopping you, google nintendo complaints and you'll probably find something.

-

Really quite disappointed by USUM. I could take having the overall same plot as SM if we got a an expanded post-game content. We did not. We got a couple boss rushes and more legendaries to catch (yay). I could take having a minimal post-game, if we got a new story with properly new locations. We did not. We got a couple script changes here and there, and a cameo or two.

Gamefreak had the opportunity to end the 3DS era on a bang. One massive game to end the handheld series on, since it'd appear Pokemon is moving on to the Switch primarily. And really, all we got was £5 DLC in a £40 package. Bit of a slap in the face to ask for a king's ransom for what was effectively minor bits of DLC.

However, if you haven't played SM, then these are a good buy. It is a better version of USUM, but not enough to justify calling it anymore than a overprice DLC.

Hopefully USUM's sales will be a fair bit lower than B2W2's. And I am not saying that to be vindictive; I want Game Freak to move on from third versions for good.
This isn't about sales, but I think it's sort of relevant. The game is being torched on Amazon Japan, and buyers share some of our sentiments according to the article.

There are presently 115 1 Star Reviews out of 221 :s

Last edited:
What pisses me off the most above anything else is "official game reviewers" giving these games high scores. These games deserve as much negative reviews and if the devs look up on Google that they gave the game 9/10 they'll think "ah we did a good job" no screw you.

They turned the games into the anime with the writing and pacing. And that's really bad. I don't understand how anyone can defend the recycled cutscenes and dialog. How they can defend hau only being allowed to use the follow mechanic and EVEN having the in battle animation for it.

We've had third versions. But at least they didn't hold your hand so much, and any scenes you couldn't skip was brand new. "Third versions before" argument is annoying, like someone saying something after losing an argument. "Well third versions haven't been around for almost a decade (not sequel) and we are basically saying that the devs have not learned anything in that span of time"

Quick Aside: If Hau chooses Popplio as a starter, it will be female. Not only is that extremely fitting for when it becomes a Brionne and Primarina, I think that also makes him the first male rival to have a female starter.

This isn't about sales, but I think it's sort of relevant. The game is being torched on Amazon Japan, and buyers share some of our sentiments according to the article.

There are presently 115 1 Star Reviews out of 221 :s
True, but it's worth bearing in mind that Amazon Japan is rife with negative game reviews. For instance, Sun got 197 1 star reviews out of 851, which seems quite unfair. But SM did have lower sales in Japan than XY, so there is probably some connection. I'll read those SM reviews when I have the time.

Of course, disregarding the scores, their criticism is perfectly valid and echoes our own. Except for the person who said that Game Freak should quit.

True, but it's worth bearing in mind that Amazon Japan is rife with negative game reviews. For instance, Sun got 197 1 star reviews out of 851, which seems quite unfair. But SM did have lower sales in Japan than XY, so there is probably some connection. I'll read those SM reviews when I have the time.

Of course, disregarding the scores, their criticism is perfectly valid and echoes our own. Except for the person who said that Game Freak should quit.
True some of the criticisms are fair and valid. But disregarding everything good about a game and only taking the negatives into account hardly makes for valid review. Same goes for the other way around. I dislike the idea of "third versions". And while I am still disappointed about many things about the game, I still don't think the games deserve the amount of hate they are getting. And saying GF paid for the good reviews or that critics should not give good reviews is kinda sad.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom