• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Actually I've been reading some of Amazon Japan reviews and some of them are really rude but for some reason I like them.
They make me laugh in a good way, I guess — one of them even said "I cried playing this game and if this trend continues I won't buy the next game".
This is good anyway, as Game Freak usually only takes Japanese feedback into account.

I feel like there's a lot of pressure put into their shoulders for the Switch game.

I don't wanna say I don't like this game, but I find it rather... underwhelming. I'm sure it's just the timing, though. Skyrim came out the same day for switch and I've just felt much more compelled to waste time playing that. Like, I JUST got off of Melemele island, and I got the game at midnight release. Also, I just have no idea what Pokémon to use anymore. I have a team of random stuff I caught that wasn't in basicSun, and I don't even really like any of them but I of course can't decide which ones to replace when the time comes.

True some of the criticisms are fair and valid. But disregarding everything good about a game and only taking the negatives into account hardly makes for valid review. Same goes for the other way around. I dislike the idea of "third versions". And while I am still disappointed about many things about the game, I still don't think the games deserve the amount of hate they are getting. And saying GF paid for the good reviews or that critics should not give good reviews is kinda sad.

Don't understand how a game is 9/10 when several hours in you feel like you're playing sun and moon instead of a new title. Maybe if the reviewers never played the previous games then maybe. Gameplay is great, and the challenge is a step up from sun and moon. But again third versions before didn't hold your hand and extend the game's playtime by reused cutscenes alone, and that is the buzzkiller of the game for me.

"Get in the bag nebby I love masalas xD"
Also why didn't we use the brand new mantine surf after we had to visit the aether foundation again? Because they reused the cutscene so they couldn't include the mantine in that. Yes, all this is kinda sad because as a competitive battler I got all these new toys but the story is pissing me off just to get to those new UBS and necrozma.

Read a few articles online, and my viewpoint changed slightly. Being a self-proclaimed shiny hunter, seeing that shiny hunting is now both easy and quick using a certain method, that does make my opinions on the game improve a bit. Still not 100% on it though

why not all us try to contact nintendino more then one can make difference

I'm hoping the next gamer is Africa version

I was really disappointed when USUM was announced and it was shown that they had gone back to third versions. And nothing has changed since then - I'm still disappointed now.

While USUM is enjoyable enough (for me), since I enjoyed SM and it's just a better version of those, I really regret buying SM last year, and I'll be wary of buying the first Switch game if they are just going to pull more third versions again in the future.

I never finished SM, but I'm having a blast with USUM since so much feels new to me I guess

I don't care much for photo club, but the other additions (mantine surf is FUN) are pretty cool, like the newer sidequests that are actually pretty detailed

USUM doesn't really do anything to fix the issues I had with gen 7 in the first place (how hand-holding it is, not much new pokemon, etc), so I'm just trying to accept it for what it is and have fun .

Hah, I've read some of the Japanese reviews, and they're pretty funny. A bit intense and over-the-top though, which gives them less credence. Still, while I liked USUM because it's Pokemon and I love Pokemon, I do think an underperformance once in a while ultimately makes creators better at what they do. So while I don't think these are the worst games of all time, and I enjoyed them overall, I think the criticisms are valid. What softens my opinions a lot is that the next gen on a new console is under development and presumably having a lot more time and work put into it.

I'm only about 9.5 hours in, but I'm really enjoying Ultra Sun so far. I finished Moon version, but I did it so long ago that it feels like a fresh game to me.

So I've played up until past the climax, before the last trial. I guess I can make an almost-solid judgement on USUM. I have to say, my opinion kinda changed after playing through the game. I'm still annoyed how the first 2 islands are almost the same, besides the trials being different and Ultra Recon Squad, but it's after Ula Ula island where everything started to change. And I have to say, the climax in USUM is leagues better than the climax in SM (not going to spoil it).
I do have a major complaint, though, besides the same story and content, and this is purely my fault: Every single Pokemon I have in my party has either Relaxed or Hasty ability, and that sucks because either I'm too slow to attack or I can't live physical attacks.

Overall, I say the game was not a huge disappointment as I have believed before, just spent an hour on the Ultra Warp Hole and reached my first legendary. It's legit a fun game if you ignore the repetition

After checking more information about US/UM all throughout the internet... My verdict is that not enough has changed in these games from S/M to entice me to spend 40$ for one.

Even worse, though: The info made me regret buying Moon - the first time I've regretted buying a Pokemon game. I feel like I paid for a rushed, incomplete game that really should have been updated with DLC. Now, however, it seems like the old S/M will not withstand the test of time very well. As a famous quote:

"A delayed game is often a good one. A rushed game is bad forever."

Sure, perhaps S/M's storyline might be something to rival USUM. But in terms of content, S/M is the rushed game, and USUM is what S/M could have been if it was delayed and worked on. With all the reviews and feedback I've read, I see no reason why this isn't the case.

I seriously hope they finally banish the 3rd version syndrome from their sales tactics. As long as it exists, I will feel hesitant about buying another main series game, until I know the "complete version" of that said game comes out.

What pisses me off the most above anything else is "official game reviewers" giving these games high scores. These games deserve as much negative reviews and if the devs look up on Google that they gave the game 9/10 they'll think "ah we did a good job" no screw you.

They turned the games into the anime with the writing and pacing. And that's really bad. I don't understand how anyone can defend the recycled cutscenes and dialog. How they can defend hau only being allowed to use the follow mechanic and EVEN having the in battle animation for it.

We've had third versions. But at least they didn't hold your hand so much, and any scenes you couldn't skip was brand new. "Third versions before" argument is annoying, like someone saying something after losing an argument. "Well third versions haven't been around for almost a decade (not sequel) and we are basically saying that the devs have not learned anything in that span of time"

What I dislike the most is people who disregard bad reviews of these games. They tend to brush it off by saying the critic is being "blinded by their own bias" or as you've said, the "third version before" argument, which I like to call "but the older games were just a bad" argument. These are the same kind of people who call any person who doesn't immediately love the newest games is a "genwunner" as though preferring the older version makes you blinded by nostalgia.

I think these reviews are either being made by critics who are paid to make good reviews, people who haven't really played the game, or pokefans that like every new game that comes out, regardless of content.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom