• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Lofty

More fab than Sylveon.
Reaction score
Apologies if there is already a thread for this.

I've been wondering: what headcanons do you have about the games? I myself have quite a few.

-Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, and Rosa are cousins, hence their somewhat similar appearances.

-The very first Pokemon Gym was founded in Johto, specifically Ecruteak City. Later, the other cities in Johto followed suit. Sinnoh and Hoenn caught word of the development and also formed leagues, followed by Kanto, until almost every region had gyms and a Pokemon League.

-Red never uttered a single word while on Mt. Silver. He attempted to speak to Ethan/Lyra, but his throat was so unused to talking and his voice was so quiet that no sound came out.

-Phoebe and Marlon are very distantly related.

-Rotom is the ghost of a factory worker who fell asleep and died while making the TV it is contained in.

-Mr. Briney is the most intellegent man in the world, but his extreme wit affects his brain and makes him act psychotic and childish.

-The old woman who teaches Draco Meteor to your Pokemon had an Altaria that knew the move and died when she was a kid. She teaches the move in the hope that Altaria's spirit brings her good fortune.

One of my headcanons is this: Red isn't the stoic jackass some other fans heacanon him as (i.e. Pixiv Red). I imagine him as still the curious boy (maybe hotblooded and upbeat too, as indicated by traits shared by all of his anime/manga counterparts; c'mon, they had to have gotten some input on that) that was described in RBGY's manuals and such, only more mature, badass, and wise thanks to his journey.

Last edited:
...I have enough to write a book, and if I ever got off my butt and wrote I'd be a fanfiction writer. But some examples:

Juniper, Hilda's mother, and Rosa's mother all journeyed as trainers together based on: Juniper and Rosa's mother are stated to be old friends, one went on to be a professor and the other use to be a PokeCenter nurse so it'd be odd if there wasn't a Pokemon journey between them that brought them together as friends. Hilda's mother refers to herself as "Senior Trainer" to her child on one phone call, so she use to be one too. So in my mind: Hilda's mother was the Ash of the group, Juniper the Brock, and Rosa's mother the Misty. Which leaves Fennel someone more like...Max.

Rosa is not originally from Unova, but rather moved fairly recently just in time to see a televized - let's face it, Ghetsis not Televizing his 'victory to be' seems odd given his ego - Hilda stomp Plasma, which sparred Rosa's want to be a Pokemon trainer to get stronger so that she could one day face her ideal, Hilda. Like Gold did with Red, sort of.

Red took a vow of silence, an attempt to find his mind's peace and focus since he'd become the undisputed strongest trainer of Kanto. But a destined battle with a younger boy with diarreha of the mouth - Gold -helped him gain focus again, by beating him, yes. But through words. Gold's youthful out look and want to go on and see all the Pokemon imaginable and battle every trainer ever, and smile the whole way through the tough times...this resparked Red's drive, the drive that beat Giovanni years ago. This is why Red vanishes when he loses. He's not sticking around because, there's more trainers to battle and Pokemon to encounter. Life to be experienced. Oak being one of the few Red regularly keeps in touch with tells him of Gold's power, sparking Oak's want to give Gold a Kanto starter. Not just because he's a strong trainer, but because he helped Red find focus.

Mars is Silver's sister, who was also thrown away by their parents - Giovanni and Ariana. Wondering as a lost child, she was taken in by Cyrus. The first person to seem like they cared about her at all, someone who believed she could even be a strong trainer. Looking at Cyrus as the father she never had, this is why she's the only one to still want to find him at the end of Platinum. The others said, "Screw this, I'm bored with it" while she was all "I'LL FIND HIM! I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES!" So obviously she does care about Cyrus in some way or another.

And I still have sooooooo many more...I need to stop being lazy...

I have a couple:

-The civilization that built the Dragonspiral Tower also created Golett and Golurk. They sealed the Automatons inside the Tower to keep them safe because they knew their society was dying and wanted to save their "children".

-The reason why the Golett evolved in the two year span between B&W and B2&W2? Poaching. It's not so easy to take down a nine foot tall golem as it would be to capture a three foot tall youngster. However, the Tower got overcrowded and some of the Golurk moved on to Victory Road. The reason they chose Victory Road? It's a man-made structure and Automatons feel a bit more comfortable in human structures.

Team Aqua/Team Magma are also hunting for the Regi pokemon after the Groudon/Kyogre plot ends (because it would make the later parts of the game more interesting). I'm crossing my fingers that this gets included in a hypothetical remake.

Reasoning: Regigigas has the power to move continental plates. This means that by crashing two together, it would create new land (with a compensatory change in sea level, blah, blah, I don't want to hear about it: you CAN change the land:water ratio by making the ocean trenches deeper), which is actually Team Magma's goal (which actually makes more sense in the first place than trying to evaporate the oceans with Groudon, because the water would just come back down somewhere else....). And by separating two continental plates that, for example, divide Hoenn in half, more coastline could be created, giving more coastal pokemon like Corphish new habitats, which would be a good goal for Team Aqua.

Clever, isn't it?

This is an interesting thread, I like reading everyones' ideas :)

Mine is about global warming in Unova. I imagine that hundreds of years before Black and White, the climate of Unova was much colder. This is mentioned in Striaton City, as the city description says it used to have a snowy climate. So I thought that the desert on Route 4 would have had a Mediterranean climate, suitable for the Relic Castle civilization to flourish. Then, for some reason, the climate began to heat up and Route 4 slowly became a desert. This would explain why the Relic Castle civilization failed because the people wouldn't be able to grow crops and survive and so they would either migrate to cooler areas or die.

Twenty years ago from the plot of B2W2

Ghetsis, Juniper, Colress, and Fennel all went to the same school - Unova Science University.

Ghetsis is the oldest and probably would've already gotten his degree and was working as an assistant prof by the time Colress entered the school. Juniper and Fennel are friends, so they'd be around the same age, probably juniors or so. Colress and Fennel would've known each other from a class or two since they're both interested in subconsciousness of pokemon (potential power & dream power).

And this was probably just before N was born.

I don't really truly had any, but I do pretend some stuff. Here's one I can think of right now:

Kyogre and Groudon use to be a couple, but they broke up and now when they meet they just end up having this big and sorta childish argument that I guess no one can stop but Rayquaza. When Kyogre and Groundon argue, they both get so mad that the world is in danger and stuff. :p

...I have enough to write a book, and if I ever got off my butt and wrote I'd be a fanfiction writer.

This, pretty much, except for the fanfic part (I've got an incredibly stupid bone to pick with fanfics). There's just too much headcanon I have with this series.

Probably my most notable one is Johto and Kanto are separate, with their own separate leagues.

Another one is that every Pokemon introduced in a certain region is exclusive to that region, even if it has an evolution or pre-evolution in another region.

The abyssal ruins contain the legendary dragon that N would come to own and the hero associated with it. Evidence: symbols on the bottom floor that switch between Black and White.

Goldenrod city is a crime center. Evidence: The cops. Why are there some cops looking out for criminals only in this city? Why not in other places in Johto, or for that matter, cities in any other region? Why does the Dept. Store elevator lady only allow to the bottom floor if you tell her to (as if it were a password), and say it is "off limits to customers" (aren't you one?) Why does it lead to a Rocket Base? Why does the Goldenrod Tunnel lead to that? Why does the bike salesman say his bikes aren't selling well, yet he has very few? I mean, all the bikes from the Kanto store were moved there. Why does no one call the cops on you when you are disguised as a Rocket Grunt? Why does the photo guy even have Rocket uniform?

This is an interesting thread, I like reading everyones' ideas :)

Mine is about global warming in Unova. I imagine that hundreds of years before Black and White, the climate of Unova was much colder. This is mentioned in Striaton City, as the city description says it used to have a snowy climate. So I thought that the desert on Route 4 would have had a Mediterranean climate, suitable for the Relic Castle civilization to flourish. Then, for some reason, the climate began to heat up and Route 4 slowly became a desert. This would explain why the Relic Castle civilization failed because the people wouldn't be able to grow crops and survive and so they would either migrate to cooler areas or die.

Ah, and the warming caused glaciers to melt and flood Undella Bay!

Ooh, yes, I never thought of that :D Totally makes sense of what happened to the Abyssal Ruins city.

Barry and his father Palmer are descendants of The Flash Barry Allen. Barry was so named after his ancestor due to his burgeoning metahuman speed, and can even outrun a garchomp when he becomes an adult

Dragonites are kryptonian beasts leftover from New Krypton/Kandor

N is the great great great grandson of Animal Man

-Ho-oh passed over Agate Village just as Rui was born, giving her the ability to see Shadow Pokemon.

-Elgyem and Beheeyem created Klink, Klang, and Klinklang to be used for scouting for life on other planets 102 years ago (as of B2W2). When they found out there was life, they decided to head to Earth to greet the dominant inhabitants, humans, and become friends with them. However, they crashed into the desert, killing all of the Beheeyem, and the surviving Elgyem headed to Celestial Tower to mourn their parents' deaths.

-Cynthia and Cyrus were born on the same day.

-Flocessy Ranch used to have Miltank and Tauros, but no one bought their meat or milk. Hence, a few were given to the Driftveil City Marketplace, while all of the others were shipped to Kanto and Johto.

-Most rivals, if not all of them, have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder, where you constantly feel anxious no matter how relaxing your situation is). This would explain why Blue is mean to Red (uses the latter as an outlet), Silver wants power and dominance, Wally seems so sickly, Brendan and May act so nice, Barry is hyper, Cheren, Bianca, and N constantly struggle to achieve their goals (perhaps pressured into pleasing everyone else), and Hugh has a bit of an anger problem and obsesses over finding Purrloin.

-Misdreavus are given stolen necklaces from their mothers.

Hoenn and Sinnoh used to be part of the same landmass. Because Regigigas wanted to seal itself, most likely yet again from a struggle between humans and pokémon, it separated Hoenn from it as far as it could long ago, leaving the Regis and their people far from it in the sea. This civilization was back from the Stone, Ice, and Bronze eras, hence the Regis were made to commemorate the times they lived with Regigigas.

This accidentally caused Groudon (who slept in Hoenn's landmass) to invade Kyogre's territory, thus making it a matter of time they started their apocalyptic battle a second time. (Of which there were three: One far before humans in the early stages of Earth that reshaped the world, which Rayquaza stopped late or built a better atmosphere after; this one, which threatened to reshape the world again but was stopped by Rayquaza this time around after plenty of damage was done and is the one humans saw; and the contemporary one in the events of Emerald)

Likewise, that long ago Groudon lived in a time and location Heatran were common. The Heatran in Sinnoh is/are what remains of Groudon's home. Heatran is a pokémon from back when Earth was mostly magma.

Lati@s rarely separate and venture into known and populated places, preffering to be secretive among other of their kind. This means the ones you find are involved in something for this unusual behavior, with one of them looking for the other (preassumbly meaning they are acquaintances of some kind), while the other having gone on their own accord for something (which will never be known because GF cut their story out). In RSE, the one roaming Hoenn is actually looking for the one that has a Soul Dew in a relatively nearby island. In HGSS, the one with the Soul Dew has come looking for the one that is roaming, which has come looking for something else.

Jirachi's true self is actually only the eye. Back in RSE, it was open, signifying it was awake (for it's thousand-long sleep). In all subsequent games, it is closed because it's sleeping. The rest is a minor fraction of Jirachi's consciousness to keep it capable of action while its true self and mind sleeps.

-Elgyem and Beheeyem created Klink, Klang, and Klinklang to be used for scouting for life on other planets 102 years ago (as of B2W2). When they found out there was life, they decided to head to Earth to greet the dominant inhabitants, humans, and become friends with them. However, they crashed into the desert, killing all of the Beheeyem, and the surviving Elgyem headed to Celestial Tower to mourn their parents' deaths.

Deoxys is a virus from the Elygem+Beheeyem's planet that they launched into space as a method of colonizing other planets. It was adaptable, and could change form with the electromagnetic current contained in smaller meteors that were dispersed with the larger one for convenience. When Deoxys sent them the signal that the planet was inhabited, they sent it a signal to go into a protected, dormant state on Birth Island. They then dispersed the Klink as a way of picking an appropriate landing spot. However, at the time of the Klink's landing, Route 4 was not yet a desert.

I imagine that the Pokémon nation (pre-Generation V) is a continent or island chain on an alternate-universe version of our own planet Earth. Unova is part of a larger continent farther away from said island chain.

Timeline:
  • c. 1989-1990: Pokémon Colosseum
  • c. 1995: Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
  • c. 1996: Generations I and III
  • c. 1999: Generations II and IV
  • c. 2010-2012: Generation V

General:
  • Most if not all of the protagonists are familiar with one another on some level. In-game evidence:
    • Generations I and II: Red, Ethan and Kris can all directly trade and battle with each other (though Red can only battle the other two as an NPC).
    • Generation III: Wes, Michael, Red, Leaf, Brendan and May can all battle and trade with each other directly (or indirectly, in Wes and Michael's case).
    • Red, Leaf, Brendan and May can send their Pokémon (as well as Wes' and Michael's) to the Pal Park for Ethan, Lyra, Dawn and Lucas to catch.
    • Ethan, Lyra, Dawn and Lucas can all directly trade and battle with each other. In addition, Ethan and Lyra can battle NPC!Red.
    • Ethan, Lyra, Dawn and Lucas can send their Pokémon (and those previously belonging to Wes, Michael, Red, Leaf, Brendan and May) through the PokéTransfer to be captured by Hilbert, Hilda, Nate and Rosa.
    • Hilbert, Hilda, Nate and Rosa can all directly trade and battle with one another. In addition, Nate and Rosa can battle NPC!Red (though I tend to disregard this).
  • The gym guide actually is a trainer with a teleporting Pokémon. That's how he gets from gym to gym. He just doesn't want you to know that. :p

Kanto and Johto:
  • The Ho-Oh and Lugia found in the GameCube titles are the same ones who later show up at Navel Rock, to eventually be summoned to the Bell Tower and the Whirl Islands, respectively.
  • Red and Leaf are twin siblings who went on the same journey at the same time, taking down Team Rocket together. However, only Red went on to challenge the Elite Four and become Champion; Leaf quit Pokémon training to pursue other interests. This is why Red receives all the glory and no one seems to remember Leaf.
  • Red obtained the other two starters by trading with Leaf and Blue. The Pikachu encounter from Yellow also occurred, but Red did not add Pikachu to his party until he and Leaf returned with Oak's parcel.
  • Red exposed Mewtwo's existence, but chose not to catch it.
  • The glitch Pokémon are extradimensional beings incapable of properly manifesting in our dimension. This is why they are formless and occasionally have game-crashing (i.e. world-ending) effects, and also why researchers refuse to classify them as Pokémon. The old man from Viridian City and glitch trainers Jacred and Thomas have dedicated their careers to studying and mastering these Pokémon.
  • Red disappeared roughly a year before the events of Generations II and IV. Ethan eventually found him, but lost the ensuing battle. As no one believed Ethan's claims, dismissing them as delusions induced by close proximity to Mt. Silver, Red remains officially missing to this day; I choose to ignore his appearance at the Pokémon World Tournament.
  • Cal (the default Trainer House trainer), Carrie (the Mystery Gift girl from Generation II) and Dude (the capture tutor from Generation II) are all professional trainers and friendly rivals toward one another, particularly later in the timeline once they've had a chance to grow up.
  • On a meta level, Kris and Lyra are the same character played by two different actresses who are actually good friends in "real life".

Sinnoh:
  • The lake trio are the Golden Goddesses from The Legend of Zelda, or reincarnations thereof.

There's probably more, but it doesn't immediately come to mind. Will come back if I think of it.

1. Deoxys is not actually a pokemon, and is really a form of sentient being from another planet, who came to Earth with it's race bringing with them the pokemon of their world; The clefairy evolution and Jirachi. They arrived during a warmer climate, and built the Celestial Tower and Dragon Spiral towers (They filled them with the automaton pokemon; Klink evolution and Golett) Abyssal Ruins and Relic Castle cities, the Sinjoh Ruins and Spear Pillar as Transmutation Circles/Areas, which in-turn ripped holes in the universe, making it unstable (HolePunching) and summoning Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, and Mewtwo. Mew was trapped on Earth and lost its inter-dimensional abilities (Allowing for the whole Dr./Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo). The climate changed, Abyssal Ruins became flooded and uninhabitable, the Relic Castle City became scorching hot, and uninhabitable. The Dragon Spiral Tower was sealed of by the Goletts and Golurks. The klinks found their homes in Chargestone cave because they fed on the electromagnetic currents.

Grimsley use to be an actor, along with Marshal at Pokestar Studios

They starred in Pokeball of the North Star and both played villains, Grimsley as Shin the Zoroark and Marshal as Raoh the Machamp

Brycen played Ken the Lucario aka the jackal with seven scars

Shauntal wanted to write for the show

Back
Top Bottom