• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Oak does explicitly refer to the Pokédex as "my invention" in the Kanto games. For some reason they decided to retcon that in DP (although Cynthia talks about it Lake Valor, not the Hall of Fame). Who knows why.
Would you happen to know the exact phrasing of the line? Because it could be a situation of the same product with different innovations- like how a Samsung and iPhone are both smartphones, but each one still has its own inventor, and one proceeded the other.

Would you happen to know the exact phrasing of the line? Because it could be a situation of the same product with different innovations- like how a Samsung and iPhone are both smartphones, but each one still has its own inventor, and one proceeded the other.
Prof. Oak (RB) said:
Oh, right! I have a request of you two. On the desk there is my invention, Pokédex! It automatically records data on Pokémon you've seen or caught! It's a hi-tech encyclopedia! <player> and <rival>! Take these with you!

Prof. Oak (Y) said:
Ah, <rival>, good timing! I needed to ask both of you to do something for me. On the desk there is my invention, Pokédex! It automatically records data on Pokémon you've seen or caught! It's a hi-tech encyclopedia! <player> and <rival>! Take these with you!

Prof. Oak (FRLG) said:
Oh, right! I have a request for you two. On the desk there is my invention, the Pokédex! It automatically records data on Pokémon you've seen or caught. It's a high-tech encyclopedia! <player> and <rival>. Take these with you. You can't get detailed data on Pokémon by just seeing them. You must catch them to obtain complete data. So, here are some tools for catching wild Pokémon. When a wild Pokémon appears, it's fair game. Just throw a Poké Ball at it and try to catch it! This won't always work, however. A healthy Pokémon can escape. You have to be lucky! To make a complete guide on all the Pokémon in the world… That was my dream! But, I'm too old! I can't get the job done. So, I want you two to fulfill my dream for me. Get moving, you two. This is a great undertaking in Pokémon history!

Prof. Oak (LGPE) said:
This is the Pokédex that I’ve designed! It automatically records data on Pokémon you’ve seen or caught, and it makes an entry for each. It’s an extremely high-tech tool!

[VAR TRNAME(0000)] and [VAR TRNAME(0001)]... I want you each to take one with you!

It seems like it was actually retconned...

I have a few headcanons.

All Exclusive Safari Zone Pokemon are imported from other regions
- Tauros and Miltank are native Alola mons, but are imported to other regions that didn't have any bull, cow or sheep Pokemon
- Rhyhorn is a native Sinnoh Pokemon
- Dratini is a native Alola Pokemon (Has the most presence in Alola)
- Scyther and Pinsir originally were a trio with Heracross and are Johto native
- Exeggcute is Alola native, but because of lack of sunlight and less predators, it didn't need to grow so big.

Chairman Rose was originally a Silph Co employee and the employee that gives the player character the Lapras. Aditionally - Lapras is Galar native

All Pokeballs originate from the Pokeball Factory in Kalos
Kurt is Kalos native and a former employee of the Pokeball Factory, but they fired him for his ideas or making Pokeballs out of apricorns. Kurt left for Johto. Ball Guy is Kurt trying to make Galar warm for his wares

Bruno is Kahuna Hala's son and Hau's father

The International Police are Ditto in disguise

Wulfric is the father of Melony

All Exclusive Safari Zone Pokemon are imported from other regions
- Tauros and Miltank are native Alola mons, but are imported to other regions that didn't have any bull, cow or sheep Pokemon

There's actually a small scene in USUM where an NPC says this:

> "This area, which is called Paniola, is a very old place in the history of pioneer Alola. When our ancestors drifted to the islands in Alola and decided to live here, the land was not habitable. So our ancestors developed the land with their Tauros just as they did before they came to Alola."

That would indicate that Tauros were in fact brought to Alola from somewhere else, in the very distant past. Evolutionarily speaking, this makes sense, as the Alolan islands, like Hawaii, seem to be geologically quite young, having been formed by undersea volcanoes. There wouldn't be much of a basis for lifeforms like Tauros to come into existence - in fact, the Hawaiian hoary bat is Hawaii's only native mammal. (Granted, you can always invoke "It's fantasy, screw your NPC dialogue and real-world comparisons," and that's totally fair, I just like combing through details is all. ;))

All Pokeballs originate from the Pokeball Factory in Kalos
Kurt is Kalos native and a former employee of the Pokeball Factory, but they fired him for his ideas or making Pokeballs out of apricorns. Kurt left for Johto. Ball Guy is Kurt trying to make Galar warm for his wares

Ball creation from Apricorns is a tradition that pre-dates the invention of the modern Poké Ball:

> "Do you know what an Apricorn is? You crack it open to discard the core and put it in this special machine... Then you can catch Pokémon! Before Poké Balls became available, everybody used Apricorns to catch Pokémon."

There's actually a small scene in USUM where an NPC says this:

> "This area, which is called Paniola, is a very old place in the history of pioneer Alola. When our ancestors drifted to the islands in Alola and decided to live here, the land was not habitable. So our ancestors developed the land with their Tauros just as they did before they came to Alola."

That would indicate that Tauros were in fact brought to Alola from somewhere else, in the very distant past. Evolutionarily speaking, this makes sense, as the Alolan islands, like Hawaii, seem to be geologically quite young, having been formed by undersea volcanoes. There wouldn't be much of a basis for lifeforms like Tauros to come into existence - in fact, the Hawaiian hoary bat is Hawaii's only native mammal. (Granted, you can always invoke "It's fantasy, screw your NPC dialogue and real-world comparisons," and that's totally fair, I just like combing through details is all. ;))

Ball creation from Apricorns is a tradition that pre-dates the invention of the modern Poké Ball:

> "Do you know what an Apricorn is? You crack it open to discard the core and put it in this special machine... Then you can catch Pokémon! Before Poké Balls became available, everybody used Apricorns to catch Pokémon."

Lol.
Then Tauros and Miltank originate from Kalos.

How would Piers know about Eternatus or its potential side-effects?

Anecdotal evidence I'd imagine. It's not so much that he knows about Eternatus directly, it's that he's been around the scene long enough to see lots of trainers come and go in this region, getting burned out after a few years, or staying around but turning a bit nuts (like the chairman and Opal). This also explains why the average trainer age is so low, for what it's worth. So having grown up around the scene, he chose to take a different path.

My theory about the white rock in Mossdeep City is that it's a Jirachi in a sleeping form, probably originally intended to have some direct relationship to a Jirachi event before being scrapped during development. The girl watching over it talks about wishes, so it seems likely to me the rock has some sort of connection to Jirachi.

My theory about the white rock in Mossdeep City is that it's a Jirachi in a sleeping form, probably originally intended to have some direct relationship to a Jirachi event before being scrapped during development. The girl watching over it talks about wishes, so it seems likely to me the rock has some sort of connection to Jirachi.
Well, it was at the time when they foreshadowed Mythicals, something that stopped at... Gen VI, I think?

Well, it was at the time when they foreshadowed Mythicals, something that stopped at... Gen VI, I think?

Essentially yes, although the foreshadowing usually involved at least an item or a location that would gain usage or provide more information upon the Mythical's distribution. The white rock in Mossdeep never does anything like that, it's just seemingly there for extremely vague flavor.

Essentially yes, although the foreshadowing usually involved at least an item or a location that would gain usage or provide more information upon the Mythical's distribution. The white rock in Mossdeep never does anything like that, it's just seemingly there for extremely vague flavor.
I felt they were trying for a two-in-one reference by having what I think is a meteorite and a reference to Tanabata in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom