• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

I was thinking about Galar’s Minor League again and I’m convinced that whoever the Flying Type candidate is they must have a connection to the Flying Taxi service as it would be weird otherwise, maybe the company sends in their ace Corviknight handler to try and become a Gym Leader to boost advertising or something.
That would make sense.

There is no real evidence, but I think that Kabu must be related to Flannery in some way. He is a Fire trainer from Hoenn that had a Torkoal at some point, all of which would make sense. Is he the grandfather that ran the gym before her? It would be inconclusive, but there might be some sense in the matter he was an E4 level trainer, and technically, any of the gym leaders of Galar can be that. It only might not work since he had a slump that caused him to be assigned to the minor league, although that can be understood due to age. Age was never a factor for other trainers, though.

There is also the idea that every gym leader is strong, they just modify their teams by badge count. It would make sense, as not everyone can face the gym leaders in the same order that you do in the games. This matter would seem to be enforced by Sword and Shield. This once made me think what is the difference between the E4 of other regions and their gym leaders. It may indeed be similar to Galar in that the only difference is how successful they are at keeping weak trainers out.

Last edited:
The Pokedex is rarely handed out, it's actually typically handed out to those whom the professor really trusts. That's why most NPCs don't mention having one.

The reason Pokemon breeders "don't know how the eggs got there" is because you're a child and they're not sure if you've had the talk yet. Either that or they're just as baffled as we are as to how a lantern and a pile of sludge can have a child.

Those who hold Pokedexes are often encouraged to battle other trainers because those said trainers might have Pokemon that the Pokedex holder might not know of, thus allowing the finding of said Pokemon's habitat later and catching it.

There is no real evidence, but I think that Kabu must be related to Flannery in some way. He is a Fire trainer from Hoenn that had a Torkoal at some point, all of which would make sense. Is he the grandfather that ran the gym before her? It would be inconclusive, but there might be some sense in the matter he was an E4 level trainer, and technically, any of the gym leaders of Galar can be that. It only might not work since he had a slump that caused him to be assigned to the minor league, although that can be understood due to age. Age was never a factor for other trainers, though.

I mentioned this on a previous page as well. I don't think he's Flannery's grandfather. Her grandfather probably didn't leave Hoenn and just retired when she took over the Lavaridge Gym. Furthermore, I think the age difference is too small for Kabu to be Flannery's grandfather, I'd estimate they're about 30 years apart. I think he's Flannery's uncle.

The reason Pokemon breeders "don't know how the eggs got there" is because you're a child and they're not sure if you've had the talk yet. Either that or they're just as baffled as we are as to how a lantern and a pile of sludge can have a child.
Funny thing is several of the games actually imply that Pokémon don’t lay eggs, suggesting that the eggs are more like built cradles. Could be that the NPCs sprouting that stuff are doing the same awkward shuffle away from “the talk”

I’m pretty sure that those comments are more hand waving away any “but mammals don’t lay eggs” questioning but you never know.

My headcanon is that almost nothing about breeding is diegetic. Are egg groups ever brought up in any adaptations, for example?

If I recall, there is a daycare ran by kids, in the Battle Resort of Hoenn in ORAS. They say the same things as all other daycares. This could either mean that something else is going on, or it's only part of the game mechanics, so I wouldn't count it as lore.

I will also point out that there is a pokemon that is made of pure energy, Rotom, so apparently, they can come into existence just from the available energy of the pokeworld, but this requires that you reject the idea that Mew is the common ancestor of all Pokemon, since coming from energy means it can't come from Mew.

I will also point out that there is a pokemon that is made of pure energy, Rotom, so apparently, they can come into existence just from the available energy of the pokeworld, but this requires that you reject the idea that Mew is the common ancestor of all Pokemon, since coming from energy means it can't come from Mew.
It's already for sure that Mew isn't the origin of some legendary, mythical, or man-made/inorganic Pokémon. Unless a Mew was somehow part of the Silph Co. development team that gave birth to Porygon, it's not implausible that Rotom also didn't originate from Mew in any way.

I’m pretty sure that those comments are more hand waving away any “but mammals don’t lay eggs” questioning but you never know.
Which is ironic because egg-laying mammals do in fact exist in real life, so such questioning could easily be answered with a "it just so happens that every mammalian-based Pokemon is actually a monotreme", which imo would be a relatively satisfying explanation. I mean, that is the conclusion I personally came to as a kid regarding the whole egg/breeding thing... yeah, kid me was all "lol okay, so everyone's a platypus I guess"

Which is ironic because egg-laying mammals do in fact exist in real life, so such questioning could easily be answered with a "it just so happens that every mammalian-based Pokemon is actually a monotreme", which imo would be a relatively satisfying explanation. I mean, that is the conclusion I personally came to as a kid regarding the whole egg/breeding thing... yeah, kid me was all "lol okay, so everyone's a platypus I guess"
Does that mean all mammalian Pokemon are egg laying mammals of action?

Back
Top Bottom