• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

How do you explain the Galar fossils since none of them are Rock types?
Cara Liss was part of the team that made Mewtwo and she just used her knowledge to randomly make pokemon that look like the fossils found.
Personally I think it would make more sense if it was just less common for non-rock-types to be fossilized? I feel like it'd be really weird if only rock-types could fossilize, since other species do still have hard tissue despite not being already made of rock.

So it's a similar principle to how most animal fossils in the real world are from ones that contain hard minerals (eg: ammonite shells, vertebrate bones), but there are trace fossils of squishy things as well.

Volo is a time traveller from ancient Sinnoh who entered Legends Arceus Hisui through the space-time rift he had Giratina made. Cogita is his descendent but they are both unaware. (I'm pretty sure this is the case)

Magearna was a passion project built by a scientist who took major interest in studying the lore of AZ and his Ultimate Weapon thus being heavily inspired by it. (I'm 300% sure this is the case and have no idea how it could not be)

Alder's original team consisted of one (now) deceased Volcarona and several Pokémon that were given off to the Unova Elite Four. Chandelure to Shauntal, Krookodile to Grimsley, Reuniclus to Caitlin, Conkeldurr to Marshal. Cynthia was given a Braviary by Alder. (This miiiiight be the case and it's reasonable given how Alder gained Champion through the E4's request. It also explains why he seems underwhelming in comparison to the E4, but I am not too sure. The specific Pokémon I mentioned make up his PWT team for some reason.)

Pokémon Sword and Shield take place in a mega universe but Eternatus ate up all the mega evolution energy in Galar before it ever seeped into stones. This helped fuel the first Darkest Day. (It never truly specifies what energy Eternatus consumed for that event and it just so happened to have taken place around the same time period AZ fired his weapon)

Calyrex and Eternatus-Eternamax had some kind of feud way back in ancient times, when Calyrex was heavily worshipped by people. This was long before Darkest Day ever happened. Eternatus was simply falling into Earth from a meteor and Calyrex was trying to prevent it from crashing. Calyrex succeeded and stopped Eternatus, giving itself the power to purify and use Eternatus's Dynamax energy as its own. (My guess purely based off dex entries, Calyrex radiating a different aura of Dynamax from everyone else, and Calyrex confirming to be a god-like creature capable of defying real world physics to levels extreme even for Pokémon)

Last edited:
Volo is a time traveller from ancient Sinnoh who entered Legends Arceus Hisui through the space-time rift he had Giratina made. Cogita is his descendent but they are both unaware. (I'm pretty sure this is the case)
What makes you say you think this is the case?

What makes you say you think this is the case?
Volo revealed his real uniform to be ancient greek god clothing as opposed to late 1800s style clothing, as if Gamefreak were trying to tell us something more than just Volo's obsession with Arceus. (Sure you access it after you get Arceus, but by that point, you have Arceus. Arceus could have easily just placed it in shops itself and give people false memories of acknowledging it)

Volo directly admitted to being responsible for the space time rift after telling us numerous times about there being one in the past. How he knew there was one in the past is never explained. The context treats it like it's part of this same rift we see in Legends Arceus. If we take it too literally, it could be seen as a confirmation that Volo time travelled.

Volo said the blood of the ancient Sinnoh people reigned through his veins (ik this could mean he is a descendent of them but it could be used to say that he IS one of the ancient Sinnoh people)

Volo was able to point out a long broken down Giratina statue, and identify Arceus and Giratina by name when the only other people who could were ancient Sinnoh people and modern Sinnoh people. A feat not even Cogita could accomplish. No real information about Arceus or Giratina is shown ANYwhere in the region except from Volo himself. You can't really read anything in any of the ruins to discover them by their name.

Volo had direct access to time travel throughout the entire game until we beat his Giratina and seems to have a heightened interest in you and Ingo specifically...

Aside from that there is a youtube video made by Bird Keeper Toby where he made this theory and explains some unique details but a lot of it is different from what I have found personally. I don't think it mentioned his obsession with the past space-time rift nor being able to point down a long broken-down statue of Giratina that nobody in PLA Hisui would realistically be able to understand.

There is a chance Volo fell through the rift in hopes to access a time period where Arceus is forgotten and he could get what he wants without any competition as Arceus was widely known back in ancient Sinnoh and the ancient hero Arceus refers to could have defeated Volo, gathered plates, and found Arceus at some point.

Last edited:
"It's said that Hydreigon grew ferocious because people in times long past loathed it, considering it to be evil incarnate and attacking it relentlessly." -Hydreigon, Pokémon Violet Pokédex.

I just wanna say, I had been headcanoning this one for years before the Pokédex brought it up. Hydreigon's behaviour in all these various "play with your PokéPets" features is at such dramatic odds with the constant insistence of it being a savage beast that I've been convinced they weren't naturally vicious at all. I really appreciate that there's people in-universe suggesting their ancestors were not justified in persecuting Hydreigon and now I  need to see a non-ferocious regional form of Hydreigon from before people pushed it into brutality if Legends Kyurem happens.

"It's said that Hydreigon grew ferocious because people in times long past loathed it, considering it to be evil incarnate and attacking it relentlessly." -Hydreigon, Pokémon Violet Pokédex.

I just wanna say, I had been headcanoning this one for years before the Pokédex brought it up. Hydreigon's behaviour in all these various "play with your PokéPets" features is at such dramatic odds with the constant insistence of it being a savage beast that I've been convinced they weren't naturally vicious at all. I really appreciate that there's people in-universe suggesting their ancestors were not justified in persecuting Hydreigon and now I  need to see a non-ferocious regional form of Hydreigon from before people pushed it into brutality if Legends Kyurem happens.
Hydreigon is partially based off on King Ghidorah, whose latest incarnation had two wrathful heads and one (comparatively) chill one. Would be cool to see a regional Hydreigon with two peaceful heads and one out for blood.

Hydruwugon

There's a lot of legal controversies surrounding Pokemon rights due to confusion and ambiguity over whether and to what degree Pokemon are intelligent creatures or wild beasts (not going to go into too much detail to avoid provoking arguments, but let's just say the debate exists, you can headcanon your own idea of where you and Pokemon society as a whole would be on this issue). This also makes some of the conflicts with the evil teams more chaotic and political. Some of the evil teams such as Team Rocket and Ghetsis' branch of Team Plasma view Pokemon as wild beasts that don't deserve rights and would strip whatever legal protections are currently in place to essentially make Pokemon slaves. Whereas N's branch of Team Plasma views Pokemon as intelligent creatures and wants to fight for Pokemon rights (maybe even some that might be a bit extreme or out there, N does have a very... unique way of thinking about things that doesn't always match the rest of Pokemon society).

Bear with me this is long. I copy/pasted this from another site of where I posted this several months back.

XY are a trilogy.

Pokémon X and Y's plot in a nutshell is you and your four friends touring around Kalos to discover the secrets of Mega Evolution. Along the way, you all fight off Lysandre to stop his plans of mass genocide, then by the end of the game, you inspire AZ to finalize his path of redemption. During XY, Lysandre worked with a group of five scientists to locate the legendary Pokémon (Xerneas/Yveltal) who could be utilized as a greater source of "infinity" energy for the Ultimate Weapon than what AZ used 3000 years prior. Xerneas and Yveltal have a third legendary who accompany them, called Zygarde, but it only arrives when Xerneas and Yveltal are in real danger or if the natural order is being disrupted in some other way. It doesn't seem as if XY did put them through enough danger because despite Lysandre draining 99% of their energy all they did was miraculously wake up, take back most of their energy, and break through the weapon as you arrived. These legendaries either create and give off life energy (Xerneas) or take and destroy life energy (Yveltal). They could not really be threatened by this and they've proven this to Lysandre even within Team Rainbow Rocket. Lysandre would not have had Xerneas/Yveltal on his team in USUM if his plans were 100% fulfilled. Even in the Kalos manga Xerneas and Yveltal prevented Zygarde from arriving to Lysandre. This left Zygarde hanging without a suitable role in all of XY's plot.

ORAS is a sequel/prequel to XY. This may sound weird and people often think ORAS took place during the same time as FRLG because RSE did for sure, but I think in the Mega Evolution universes, ORAS took place much later than RSE and around the same time as XY. To start off, Zinnia finalizes the lore on Mega Evolution and explained the cause of it was AZ's Ultimate Weapon. She also mentioned how AZ was in Sootopolis, witnessing the very first Mega Evolution happen live during a fight between Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. She then summons Rayquaza to have it mega evolve and have you save the world from a giant meteor. Kalos had the technology to be aware of a meteor threatening the entire world and should have known about this in XY had it taken place before then. By this logic, they should've also known of a Mega Rayquaza. Additionally XY and ORAS events happen similarly near each other in the anime, the manga utilizes the old and new team magma/aqua people as two completely different people, and nothing in Gen 6 indicates any significant time travel between XY and ORAS. We also know that LGPE does not take place during the same time as RBY/FRLG thanks to Red and Blue being established while Team Rocket events were ongoing and Mina being about only 5 years younger when SM/USUM takes place a minimum of 10 years after RBY/FRLG. Lastly, Wally in SM/USUM looks as if he aged significantly less than Red and Blue have. It is very possible for ORAS to take place during XY in mega universes while RSE happened during FRLG in non-mega universes.

A smaller thing relates to how Alpha is the first letter of the greek alphabet and Omega is the last letter of the greek alphabet. It's sorta like "Pokémon AZ" if you know what I mean. They also had Archie and Maxie create something known as "Project AZOTH" in ORAS, which would be a plan to bring an end to all life from Earth and reset everything to a new beginning. A grunt even confirms that "A" stands for beginning and "Z" stands for end in Project Azoth. We even have Zinnia in the game with her partner being a Whismur named Aster. A and Z respectively. Gamefreak clearly knew what they were doing here.

Another major point about ORAS is the confirmation of multiverses. Zinnia confirms that Pokémon was not just one universe, but an entire multiverse filled with (at least 2) separate universes. Archie and Maxie also vaguely hinted out that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are another two separate universes and when you reach the Battle Resort, you find Looker. He was washed up on shore and a woman brought him to her cottage, saying he fell from the sky and has amnesia for some reason... little did we know this would be the biggest foreshadowing of the next generation for its time.

SM and USUM expanded on the information ORAS gave to us to the utmost extreme by making its lore and plot mostly about Ultra Wormholes. Ultra Wormholes are portals that grant access to Ultra Space. Ultra Space is an indefinitely-expanding dimension with countless amounts of portals all leading to separate universes each. They also inhabit a large group of special Pokémon known as the Ultra Beasts. The Ultra Beasts are invasive species of Pokémon to the natural Pokémon world and their existence in Alola defies the world's natural order. This is the big thing Zygarde WOULD be largely present in a Pokémon game for. Zygarde was checking out Alola to scale how threatening the Ultra Beasts were, since they were species of Pokémon who didn't belong to the order of nature. However, there were never that many to begin with and we dealt with most of them by ourselves in the Gen 7 games. Zygarde was there but never had to go to the extreme of becoming complete. Additionally, there were people who fell from the sky out of Ultra Wormholes. The Ultra Wormholes would take them from their old universe to SM/USUM's current universe and give them amnesia. This sounds exactly like what happened to Looker in ORAS Hoenn; although the Looker in SM/USUM seems to be a different Looker altogether (yes this means there are at least two Looker roaming around in one universe). With Gen 7 giving a significant role to XY's Zygarde and heavily expanding on the event ORAS foreshadowed, I can confidently say that Gen 7 is the third installment to the XY trilogy. SM and USUM are two separate universes of their own with different plots during the same time, so USUM isn't a sequel but rather a game where events of SM took a different path.

For a couple other things, Magearna was the first Generation 7 Pokémon introduced to the series. Its lore states that it was created by a scientist 500 years ago to accompany a princess. We later learn from the release of its own movie that it was created in what was known as the Azoth Kingdom in Kalos; the same name as Archie/Maxie's plan in ORAS. We can also say that Magearna's creation was inspired by AZ's Ultimate Weapon. Magearna is a machine fueled by the life energy of other Pokémon. When it uses its signature attack, its hand opens up in a flower-like shape and unleashes a powerful beam. AZ's Ultimate Weapon is also a machine fueled by the life energy of other Pokémon and it also opens (something) up in a flower-like shape to unleash a powerful beam. This next part might be a big coincidence but Magearna was also the biggest overall check to the combination of Xerneas and Yveltal in Gen 7 Ubers/AG metagames and would be the biggest counter to both against Yveltal lacking Heat Wave. It resists all of Xerneas and Yveltal's STABs and fires back with Super Effective attacks against both. It even had Heart Swap to steal all the Geomancy boosts from Xerneas back then. Coincidence?

Additionally Ash Greninja was featured in SM. It took a significant role in the XY and XYZ anime before leaving Ash at the end of his Kalos adventure.

Lastly, Generation 7 just seems like an expanded iteration of Generation 6. Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion were kept in main series, Pokémon Amie was changed into something considerably close, items like the Vs. Recorder functioned mostly the same, the same 60 minute battle timer was carried across from the previous Gen 6, a plethora of older gen characters made a return, both Gens 6 and 7 were the primary games for the Pokémon Bank app, the 3D models were the exact same(?), not even re-polished or rendered differently? Gen 7 did not add anything super big to the series unlike Gen 6, but not remove many notable things either. Gens 6 and Alola also take place on one specific timeline of mainline games, separate from Gens 1-2, 3-5, LGPE, and presumably Gen 8+. There isn't a confirmation on whether or not Gen 8 is a part of that same timeline. There is probably a lot more but, Gens 6 and 7 feel more connected to each other than any other gen does to another, even Gens 1 and 2 despite Gen 2 being a confirmed Gen 1 sequel. Gen 7 finishes off Kalos, expands on ORAS discoveries, and does not fundamentally change itself into a series reboot in any real way unlike most generations prior. Because of all of this, I consider all the 3DS core series games to be part of a trilogy between one another.

Edit: I did get awareness that one 3D model changed between Gen 6 and 7. Glameow's 3D model was changed to have its ears positioned differently. This was the only 3DS model to have changed in Gen 7.

Edit:
10411518a5-m-1-2.png

I just thought this was funny.

Last edited:
I like to think that Arezu and her descendants are very good at walking long distances and going up and down mountains without ever getting tired. And because of what happened to Arezu during the Crimson Mirelands storyline, some of her descendants would have an instinctive phobia of Pokémons much bigger than them (I think that's a form of a phobia called "Megalophobia", but I could be wrong).

Volo is the founder of Celestic Town after he gave up on being Arceus's chosen. Off course, his reason to found the town in the first place was that he could get supporters of Arceus so that he would get another chance at being Arceus's chosen, but in the end he never became Arceus's chosen, but his interests towards legends lived on through his descendants.

I forgot about this one but, for Team Rainbow Rocket,

Giovanni went up to Lysandre, showed him two buttons, and then fooled Lysandre into thinking they'd actually trigger the Ultimate Weapon. Giovanni's in charge. He's greedy and wants the world to himself. No way he'd let Lysandre succeed. We also never saw the Ultimate Weapon spring up and charge, nor where there any news about this happening after Rainbow Rocket.

I also think Lysandre narrowly avoided the same outcome he suffered from XY, considering how he had Xerneas/Yveltal in his party.

In XY, Xerneas/Yveltal break out by themselves then take back most of their energy without the player's direct assistance. Lysandre was going to drain all of their energy and leave them dead (despite this being impossible. Lysandre just was not aware of this). Lysandre was planning to have all Pokemon dead. For Rainbow Rocket Lysandre to have caught Xerneas/Yveltal means they must have broken out, taken back most of their energy, and then attack Lysandre, forcing him to catch them. By the time he was warped into Alola he had just fired the Ultimate Weapon, but was transported before ever seeing the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom