• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Here's one: the starters are rarer pokemon that are descended from the same (Darwinian) branch of evolution. They are bred in special labs and distibuted to professors for study and further distribution.

I know the real reason Karen has a Vileplume and a Gengar on her team is due to the shortage of dark types in gen II, but I like to think that they're two of her favourites, given what she has to say about faves.

I know the real reason Karen has a Vileplume and a Gengar on her team is due to the shortage of dark types in gen II, but I like to think that they're two of her favourites, given what she has to say about faves.
I'm still surprised she didn't have a Tyranitar though. She's the final Elite 4 member, and Lance had a Dragonite before along some other pretty powerful 'mons...

Zangoose and Seviper exist in the wild in both of the RS canons, but one is dominating the feud, forcing the other into hiding. The first one is the one you can encounter in the wild.

I'm still surprised she didn't have a Tyranitar though. She's the final Elite 4 member, and Lance had a Dragonite before along some other pretty powerful 'mons...

Presumably, she doesn't care much for Tyranitar.

Are there any theories or headcannons about that loli singer at Village Bridge in B2W2? For some odd reason, she has always intrigued me quite a lot.
Also, a peeve of mine: people who support Red's death on Mt. Silver despite him making a comeback on PWT. Just...why.

A few headcanons (one relating to the fanfic in my sig, the others are new) :

- Mars's parents traveled a lot in France. So much that they gave her a french name when she was born : Mélisse. Despite that, she doesn't know any word of french at all. Mars is also the niece of Ariana, one of the Team Rocket admins and Silver's cousin to an extent. Due to the two formers relating to an antagonistic team, Ariana & Silver are the only family-relative Mars still keeps in touch (moreso Ariana than Silver).

- Shelly of Team Aqua originally wanted to join Team Magma. In the waiting room, she was sitting next to Courtney, future admin of Team Magma alongside Tabitha. Shortly afterwards they became friends, sharing the same kind of interests. After Courtney successfully joined Team Magma however, the recruter told the candidates Team Magma got all the new recruits they needed. Shocked about this, Shelly quickly ran outside and soon joined Team Aqua instead, not only to take revenge on Team Magma, but also to follow her new friend's shadow. However they never got to meet again, until Shelly's first infiltration mission in Team Magma, where both women were reunited. After the Hoenn Crisis though, they get to finally see each other as friends, as opposed to enemies to their former affiliations.

I could get more, but it is pas 3 AM here in France D:

I got some:

-Regions are the Pokémon world's equivalent to countries. Kanto and Johto have really close diplomatic relations.

-Red isn't mute, he's just untalkative. The other player charcters aren't mute either, it's just that the games don't show most of their dialogue.

-N has an autism spectrum disorder, cited by his emotional immaturity, intense interest in nerdy subjects/ math, and better empathy with other species instead of humans.

-There are multiples of most legendaries, it's just that the player only encounters one during their journey. They are also capable of breeding, only it's super tough for them to do it in captivity or they very rarely do so, just like IRL rare/ endangered species.

-Glitch Pokémon lend themselves to paranormal legends in-universe. (all those paranormal stories from Kanto, especially Cinnabar, for example)

-Hilbert's a nice guy and Hilda's a tough, mature tomboy.

-Kris and Lyra both exist together, but Lyra knows Ethan and the HGSS PCs don't run into Kris during their journeys.

-Bianca is Juniper's assistant because she's interning for the lab.

-The towns are really much bigger and have many more people (like the anime) than portrayed ingame. They're only shown to be smaller and have few residents because of graphical limitations.

-When a wild Pokémon faints from a trainer level grinding, they slowly recover and limp out of the areas commonly frequented by people. Then they return when they're feeling more fit again.

-If a Pokémon who knows Fly is too small to carry a human on their backs, they lift them with their feet.

-Trainer bags are waterproof.

I've just kept it as myself. Started off as a young, naive trainer in Sinnon (Diamond), matured a bit (Platinum), moved to Johto due boredom and to be closer to the sea (and a hunky sailor, Huey in the lighthouse. Wait, what?)... but, eventually they split and to leave behind Johto and all it's odd people moved to Unova (Black2). All other games and their characters are in their own stories that I wrote to myself, but more then likely I'll never share them. But MAN people have some complicated ones on here!

Don't know why or how, but I think Anthea and Concordia are related to Hilbert and Hilda some how...

My usual headcanon is just that all of the protagonists are older than they're set out to be. It personalizes the game more to view the protagonist as the same age as yourself. For me, anyway.

On the other hand, what makes the champion battle in RBY/FRLG so epic is that they're both only ten. Child prodigies.

I just contradicted my own headcanon. Ha :p

My usual headcanon is just that all of the protagonists are older than they're set out to be. It personalizes the game more to view the protagonist as the same age as yourself. For me, anyway.

On the other hand, what makes the champion battle in RBY/FRLG so epic is that they're both only ten. Child prodigies.

I just contradicted my own headcanon. Ha :p

You can always argue multiple personality disorder and thus it won't be a contradiction. <3

Marlon and Brawly are total bros

Karen gave Grimsley his tyrannitar

Drayden and Drake use to be tag team battlers who wrestled against other pokemon before modern pokeballs were invented

-There was a war that ended about four or five years before RBY/FRLG, the lands are still recovering from it.
-The events of the Gen I and Gen III games occur around the same time, then the events of the Gen II and Gen IV games occur three years after that (as stated in canon anyway), the events of Colosseum occurs two years later and the events of Gake of Darkness and B/W occur five years after that.
-The events of Gen IV occur about six months after Gen II.
-The events of Gale of Darkness and B/W occur at the same time.
-Cipher was originally created to be a Pokemon research and pokemon and travel supplies company in competition to Silph Co. and Devon. They still maintain a presence in non-Orre regions, but their products are relatively unpopular and almost unheard of due to the Devon/Silph duopoly
-Each region is its own separate country
-The religions of most regions are usually based around whatever legendaries reside in their region

EDIT because I can't believe I forgot this one:

-Roxie's name is just a stage name. Her real name (which she's embarrassed about and hates it when anyone uses it, including her father) is Alice.

Last edited:
Right, here's mine.

I STILL think Ghetsis is N's real biological father. Don't ask me who the mother is.

While they do state in the games that Ghetsis adopted N, I'm more leaning towards that Ghetsis pretended to adopt N.

After N was born with the unique ability to hear the voices of pokemon (for some unexplained reason) Ghetsis was horrified that his son was a "freak" and didn't want to accept that N was related to him by blood.

He threw him in away in the forest at first, but after some time, he saw how N got along with the pokemon, and was forced to admit and accept that he needed N's ability to fulfill his wishes to take over the world. Ghetsis brought back N and gave him the Harmonia name, but he didn't want to be seen blood-related to N.

Which is why Ghetsis got all crazy when N called him "Father" because Ghetsis himself, no matter how hard he tried to deny, knew that he WAS N's real dad.

Continuing my list of headcanons :

- Both Kanto, Johto, Hoenn & Sinnoh's populations are bilingual in english & japanese, much like how Belgium has four official languages (german, french, dutch & flemmish, with a bit of english) though those two languages are more centered in certain regions. In Unova however, while many languages are represented (french, italian, spanish...), english is the most widely spoken language over there.

- (in follow-up of Mars's headcanon, see this post for more info) Mars wasn't a calm child, often getting in trouble during school. And because "Mélisse" is a foreign name, in japanese the word had to be translitered in katakana. In class, it is easier to spot a katakana reading on a list full of hiragana readings, which made it easier to punish her antics at school. Due to this, she had been bullied in her childhood and in her teen years. At some point near her adulthood, having enough of all this, she ran away from home and went on a bridge. As she was about to jump off the bridge, somebody grabbed her arm and told Mars : "You don't deserve to die like this."

As Mars turned around to face her "savior", she was in front of a man with blue hair named Cyrus. He asked her afterwards if she wanted to work for him in a newly formed faction called Team Galactic. Having nowhere to go, she accepted.

- Team Galactic was formely known as a faction called "Galaxy Gang", led by Dr. Waruyama to try and conquer the world. Cyrus was his second-in-command at the time. Before Waruyama's final battle with Pulseman, he had a conversation with his leader, questionning him about risking his life to destroy Pulseman inside an arcade machine, in which Waruyama replied : "I want to end my vendetta against him once and for all. Galaxy Gang has suffered from this, both in money making and in number of men sacrified only to take Pulseman down."

He turned to face Cyrus, and told him :

"Cyrus, you are the best of my commanders. If I fail to destroy Pulseman... I want you to lead Galaxy Gang into a brighter future."

After a moment of hesitation, Cyrus agreed and swore to make his leader proud, should Waruyama ever fails. The leader said to Cyrus as he leaves, to stay as secretive as possible so Galaxy Gang's remains won't be put out of commission.

---

Sorry if those sounded fanfic-ish, I can't seem to be able to use an explanation shorter than 3-4 lines XD

Guns once existed but fell into disuse when Poke Balls were widely distributed. Who needs a measly sidearm when you can use a Charizard to roast your foe?

Well... I make my own storyline with the characters of every game I own since Gen III...

I'll just use the games to outline them:

FireRed
LeafGreen
Ruby -> Black
Sapphire -> Pearl -> Black 2
Emerald -> Diamond -> SoulSilver -> White 2 -> Y
HeartGold
Platinum
X

(Remember, I played through all of this) Instead of using names, I'll use the name of the game, it'll be easier. The storyline is chronological based on the generation, with minor changes here and there. FireRed and LeafGreen are a year older than Ruby, who is a year older than Sapphire and Emerald. FireRed and LeafGreen are the boy and girl characters respectively, they took their journeys at the same time and constantly competed to see who was better, they were tied for wins:losses when they decided to have a final match after getting a complete team of level 100s, both becoming Champions of the Indigo League. The final battle to be the final Champion ended in a tie when both trainers were left with FireRed's Exeggutor and LeafGreen's Electrode, both not wanting to lose, settled in each using Explosion, being content with the final battle being a tie. Neither one went on the become the Champion, both set out to hidden areas across Kanto and the Sevii Islands to hone their skills. Rumor has it one resides in Cerulean Cave, the other on Mt. Ember...

Ruby began his journey after watching the final battle between the two on TV, only days before his birthday. Ruby started with Treecko, seemingly stopped Team Magma, and quickly advanced to become the Champion, his friends, who were a year younger than him, Emerald and Sapphire, started their respective journeys with Mudkip and Torchic. Sapphire, while not interested in the Pokemon League, did participate in the Elite Four Challenge just to try it out. Sapphire went on to become a Pokemon Contest Star, while her friend Emerald went on to stop both Team Magma and Team Aqua for the final time. In the final battle for Champion of Hoenn, it was down to Ruby and Emerald. Emerald began with the upper-edge, but ultimately Ruby was victorious, leaving Emerald to go conquer the Battle Frontier, and move to Sinnoh, taking Sapphire as a partner with him.

(At this point in time, Emerald is the main character, I'll change the names to match the game, but its the same people.)

Diamond, after losing to Ruby, takes Pearl with him to travel to the Sinnoh Region. Diamond starts with Piplup, Pearl with Chimchar. Pearl, once again, became a Contest Master in Sinnoh, earning herself a true reputation among contest fanatics across the globe. Diamond, foiled Team Galactic's plans to try to destroy the world and create a new one.

Platinum, younger cousin of Ruby, had begun his journey soon after seeing Diamond rise to become the Champion of Sinnoh. Wanting this spot for himself, he worked very hard, destroyed any remnants of Team Galactic, and had vowed to have a battle with Diamond, but before that could happen, Diamond went to the Johto Region, to explore there and Kanto. Platinum, while not being able to see SoulSilver, had worked on conquering the Battle Frontier in Sinnoh. SoulSilver's new friend, HeartGold, a Johto native, traveled alongside each other starting with Totodile and Chikorita, respectively. Both pitching in to stop Team Rocket; eventually they made it to have a final battle, where HeartGold, surprisingly, had won, to become the Indigo League Champion, as the only stronger candidates are FireRed and LeafGreen, who haven't been seen in years.

Platinum seeks out SoulSilver, to have a final battle with him. Platinum had begun losing early, but made a quick comeback to become the reigning Champion of Sinnoh. SoulSilver, frustrated after placing 2nd in every league he's participated in, the Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Indigo League. Had gone back to his old home of Hoenn to rest and see his home region. There, he was sought out by Ruby, who told him of a place called Unova. Ruby himself was going to Unova, and urged SoulSilver to meet him there to compete for the Unova League, and battle him for Champion. While SoulSilver had continued training, Ruby, now Black, had gone to Unova, where he met a girl named White. The two traveled together, stopping Team Plasma and N, to become candidates for Champion in Unova. A year later, SoulSilver and Pearl, becoming White2 and Black2, had gone to compete in the Unova League as well. Black2 had competed in any contest she could, and decided to finally become a Pokemon League candidate. Black, White, Black2, and White2 all faced a hard journey, but were able to make it to the semi-finals of the Champion Tournament, containing all four of them...

And this is where I currently leave off, sorry for the horrendously long essay...

And now for some other short ones:

-The PC is actually a way to send Pokemon to a regional Professor, in my story they are sent to the trainer's home region. (White2 will always send them to Hoenn, where Prof. Birch takes care of them.)
-Legendaries are never actually stored in the PC, their Pokeballs are, while they free-roam the world and beyond. When you withdraw one, you actually just get its ball, where you shine the red light from it into the sky, acting as a signal, where the legendary will react and come to aid you almost instantly. I personally like to imagine Rayquaza bolting out of the clouds. Deoxys comes from space, Sinnoh Dragon Trio appear from a portal from their respective dimension. Kyogre opens a hole in a body of water to appear, where Groudon does so with land. The rest appear in more undefined or obvious ways.
-Dittos are failed clones of Mew, but this is only known and confirmed among some characters and Prof. Oak.
-Legendaries are mostly exclusive to my main character.

Last edited:
I know there's possibly some hints of this in the anime canon, but for me:

- All individuals of a legendary species (as opposed to uniquely legendary individuals, e.g. Arceus) are necessarily capable of reproducing somehow ... just not in captivity.

- Ditto is a failed clone of Mew. (I mean, come on, look at its normal and shiny coloration, and the fact that they both learn transform...)
- Red doesn't speak because he doesn't need to. His Pokemon speak for him. As in, he actually has a sort of telepathic link with them in that they speak instead of him, in proper human language. Also, why he trained his Pokemon so strong even after the Pokemon League is because the bond he shares with his Pokemon make it so that he feels their pain, so losing is physically painful for him.
- Whitney is the eldest daughter of the eldest couple on the Miltank Ranch to the north of Olivine City, who decided to do more with her Miltank than just milk it. She decided to milk it for all it was worth, so to speak...
- Steven Stone is Brock's Cousin, and they share a last name... Stone.

Back
Top Bottom