• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Expansion: The reason why he's so quiet when you meet him on Mt. Shirogane is because Red has a gigantic mountain fetish. He's not stoic - you just disturbed him during his happy hour and now he's too embarrassed to talk.

In Black & White 2, he's still sexually frustrated and embarrassed by Gold/Hibiki outing his debauchery to the public, being banned from setting foot on mountains ever again, so he remains speechless.

I... But... Why...

images

Lt. Surge is from Unova, and Elesa is his daughter. Think about it... in the games he's described as American, and Unova is basically the Pokemon world equivalent of New York.

-The owner of the lost Xtransceiver who is the same gender as the player character and does not appear at all during the run (Yancy if playing as Rosa, Curtis if playing as Nate) is, as well, actually a famous pop singer and television interviewer who is currently on tour in another region.

-Obvious one here, but not all the NPC Trainers look the same. However, some of them prefer wearing uniforms to identify with a particular Trainer class and others have standard clothing, such as Scientists.

-Trainer classifications are restricted, which brings trouble when someone with a Trainer class unique to their home region moves into another one which does not have it. For example, this has resulted in a few Hex Maniacs being classified as Psychics within Sinnoh or Unova, getting subsequent back draft from the latter group.

I think that the Mystery Dungeon World was created in an alternate timeline when N won the battle with him and Black (I know his name is Hilbert, but I personally like Black) at his castle and separated people and Pokemon by crating a new world free from human corruption and placing them there, and that world became the Mystery Dungeon World, as for the human relics that showed up and the fact that all three PCs are humans... Well, humans would've probably found a way to go there eventually.

Neo Team Plasma would've been Ghetsis's law enforcement had he taken over Unova.

I view the first form of any three-stage evolutionary line as a baby Pokemon.

Hilbert, Hilda, and N are in a love triangle. Hilbert and Hilda have known each other since they were kids, and Hilbert developed feelings for Hilda. While they were on the quest to save N from Ghetsis, N fell in love with Hilda after the Ferris Wheel date. Hilda likes N very much, but she can't deny that she also likes Hilbert. Thus, this is why after N left, Hilda and Hilbert went their separate ways because Hilda couldn't decided who to love in the end.

Twilight: Pokemon Version.

But still better than Twilight.

Oh, yes. A Pokemon's evolution is a process that takes anywhere from an hour to a full day, depending on the species. It may also be accompanied (before or after) by a massive appetite.

The Porygon family are all the real Poke-Gods, but limit their true power to not rip the world into pieces with their sheer awesomeness. That's why they can all learn Hyper Beam and Giga Impact.

The grunts on the evil teams look the same to remain as anonymous as possible (hence, why you don't get their names).

Gym Leaders are selected from those who took on the League before. Not really winning but making a good enough impression...

Last edited:
Forgot one: The Munna on Bianca's team in B/W is the same one the Plasma grunts were abusing. She stayed behind in the Dreamyard just to find that one Munna because she felt badly for it and wanted to take care of it.

Some people think the Pokémon League should be a real competition among many trainers (as in the anime), not only an Elite Four challenge. My headcanon is that Victory Road is the real competition among trainers. The Pokémon League organizers have built the Pokémon League HQ in a difficult access location to purposely restrict the number of trainers who would be able to reach the HQ. On the way to the Pokémon League, the own trainers who wanted to get to HQ became one of the obstacles to reach it in the end, since the long and difficult way and their ambition of becoming the only Champion generated a natural competition among them trying to eliminate their competitors. It was not initially imagined by the League founders, but it ended up being very convenient for them, since it would select very few people capable of going on until the end of the cave and worthy of getting the right to challenge Elite Four. The name "Victory Road" worked as a name for the path to the Pokémon League Hall of Fame and a way of saying you should be the winner of all the battles over the road to manage to get to the challenge.

I've always had this stupid headcanon where I think Agatha, Karen, Glacia and Bertha are all related somehow. Like Glacia and Karen are cousins and Bertha and Agatha are their respective grandmothers or whatever. It's a silly headcanon...but it's one that I can't shake since forever.

I actually follow the one of Agatha and Karen.

Here are some things I think:

- It is impossible for all NPCs to look the same. This is justified by using basic sprites instead of individual sprites for everyone.
- While Unova probably doesn't have an aristocracy, Kalos probably does. After all, it is based on France. Even though France hasn't been a monarchy in ages, there is still a sizable aristocracy (they lack any real power, but they do exist). Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh probably have some remnant of the clan system in Japan.
- Lance and Clair are probably descendants of nobility.
- Morty's family is somewhat influential in Ecruteak City. They are somewhat affluent, but don't make it obvious and prefer to live very frugally (in contrast to rich characters like Caitlin).
- Eusine's family is an old money family in Johto - they're like the region's equivalent of the Astors or the Vanderbilts.
- Though very much like Japan, Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh have more genetic diversity than real-life Japan, and not every family there has been living there for the same amount of time. There was never any closed-country policy there (in contrast to real-life Japan). Though they have been affected by migration differently. Kanto mostly consists of people indigenous to the area. Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are a mixture of indigenous and non-indigenous people. (Ever notice how back in Gen I a disproportionate amount of people had dark hair, while afterwards we started seeing lighter hair colors?)
- Snowpoint City's temple is the remnant of a culture that was once found all over Sinnoh, but declined as influence from other regions came along.
- The politics of the regions differs. I would say that Johto is the most conservative, while Unova is the most liberal. Kanto and Hoenn lean towards liberal, while Sinnoh leans towards conservative. Kalos is probably in the middle.
- Schools do exist, but there isn't as much of an emphasis on education as the real world.
- Burgh, Flint, and Tucker are all gay. Elesa is a lesbian, and Brendan, Volkner, Skyla, and Clair are bi (as for Brendan...his character is very fruity in the manga).

Last edited:
I have quite a few head canons; the first one is loooong, so be warned.

-Red chose Squirtle for his adventure in Kanto and did what we all know he did, but contrary to canon, DID catch Mewtwo. Gold viewed Red as his idol and, on the day he was going to move to Olivine City, coincidentally ran Elm's errand and became a trainer, and befriended Lugia. After Red choosing Squirtle, he chose Totodile. Red on Mt. Silver was actually a poorly programmed robot modeled after Red that got shut down when you beat it, hence explaining why he was silent.
Red was actually exploring a new region, Sinnoh, only under the name of Platinum, and stopped Team Galatic and befriended Giratina. Red had left his old team at Kanto because he wanted to try something new a la Ash. He chose Turtwig as his starter.

Gold had moved to Littleroot Town during Red's second adventure, and Gold goes under a new name, Emerald, befriends Rayquaza and shuts down both Teams Magma and Aqua. Like Red, he left his team at Johto. He had chosen Torchic as his Hoenn starter. Red goes to explore Unova under the name of White (I've always thought of White as the guy and Black as the girl, I'm sorry), shuts down Team Plasma, and even befriends the legendary Zekrom. He chose Tepig.
Gold also decides to go to Unova, still calling himself Gold, but is nicknamed as White 2, given his incredible strength in defeating Team Plasma and White Kyurem, whom he befriends after he beats the Elite Four. Gold chose Snivy as his Unova starter. Gold and Red finally decided to battle each other to determine the best trainer with their legendary Pokemon and starters to determine the best trainer in the world... Red's whole team is Blastoise, Torterra, Emboar, Mewtwo, Giratina, and Zekrom; Gold's is Feraligter, Blaziken, Serperior, Lugia, Rayquaza, and White Kyurem. Due to the fullness of the teams with all three starters and their legendary Pokemon, Kalos will probably star with a new character. (I really want to get a copy of FireRed and Emerald now so I can do this). tl;dr Red, Platinum, and White are the same people, as is Gold, Emerald, and White 2

- Some stray Haunter travel from the Lavender Tower to the Power Plant, probably to prank some Pokemon, when they discover prototype Poke Balls and get stuck in them. However, since the Poke Ball doesn't have a legal owner at the time when Haunter gets stuck, it is still a living being. Voltorb is created this way. This explains Voltorb's tendency to explode: it is desperate to escape, and the fact that Haunter and Voltorb have similar eyes. To evolve, Haunter takes the Poke Ball's electricity and converts it into power in order to evolve into Gengar, but it backfires and is stuck as a Haunter- However, the Poke Ball's electrical tendencies are enhanced as a result, and Haunter is so satisfied, it always has a happy look, explaining Electrode's apparent joy in it's facial expression.

- Missingno is Giratina's servant sent to investigate the real world to find a good point so Giratina can seize his revenge on Arceus. There are multiple Missingno. Red met one Missingno. along Cinnaber Island and captured it. This explains Giratina's sudden appearance in Platinum; he knows Red's potential. (this ties in with the first headcanon above)

-Pokemon Conquest really happened and is in the ancient history of the Pokemon world; Ransei was all the regions, like Pangaea in the real world, it split and became the world we know today. The way warriors linked with their Pokemon was the spark that ignited Pokemon training we all know and love today.

-Gym Leaders are the mayors of the town, as well as the head member of the police force. Also, Gym Leaders are determined by the Champion of the region in a tournament to investigate who could be a good Gym Leader.

Last edited:
Some people think the Pokémon League should be a real competition among many trainers (as in the anime), not only an Elite Four challenge. My headcanon is that Victory Road is the real competition among trainers.

Just had to quote this as my headcannon is very similar, that Victory Road is the League competition and while you only see 8 or so trainers in there, that's because those are your opponents, there's actually 256 people in there, and each person you battle is another round you progress through until you are the only one left.

Also my other headcannon is that all the main characters from the games are the same person (well split between male and female obviously) just wearing different clothes. So Red is Ethan is Brendan is Lucas is Hilbert is Xavier. Nathan is separate however. When you battle Red in Mt Silver its not you, its Ash using his strongest team (the one he had in the Orange Islands)

I have this explanation for the increase in levels in trainers and wild Pokémon:

Gym Leaders first look at how many badges you have and switch their teams around accordingly. Ordinary trainers, due to both etiquette and common sense, won't challenge anyone who is much stronger or weaker than them, hence why trainer levels increase as you go (it shouldn't be too hard to tell how strong someone is from their appearance and what they carry around with them, also maybe the people in the Pokémon world have a bit of a sixth sense for this). Weaker wild Pokémon who don't think they stand a chance against a trainer hide when they see a seemingly strong one coming. The stronger wild Pokémon who think that they can defend themselves adequately stay around, so the trainer can find them.

Forgot one: The Munna on Bianca's team in B/W is the same one the Plasma grunts were abusing. She stayed behind in the Dreamyard just to find that one Munna because she felt badly for it and wanted to take care of it.

images

-Pre-schoolers are given Pokemon by their teachers for protection and to play with.

-Ghetsis was an archeologist who discovered the Abyssal Ruins but kept his findings to himself as he found a way to take over Unova, beginning his decent into megalomania.

Last edited:
Gym Leaders first look at how many badges you have and switch their teams around accordingly.
This part has some support in in-game canon; in BW2, after beating Cheren he tosses in a reference to his "usual partners", implying that he picked his Gym team to be something about your level rather than stomping you with his endgame BW1 team.

The player character does not carry all the items inside their bag. Rather the bag contains a portable version of the item PC storage system, allowing them to carry a limitless number of items without encumbrance.

Back
Top Bottom