• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

While I agree with you about how Greninja can probably make more types of weapons(it even looks like he's using blades in one of his attacks during the trailer), your link seems to say that ice forms at different temperatures depending on the pressure. That is to say, it's still frozen water, it just froze at a different temperature. Of course, I don't know much about it and it was pretty confusing to me, so I could be wrong.
It's a problem of nomenclature. Ice is what we call the solid state of water, however, I don't think the core concept behind Ice-type Pokemon is necessarily "frozen water" so much as it is cold temperatures. It was a bit more conflated in Gen I due to the high rates of dual Water/Ice types, but as time went on, it's evident that the core of Ice type is cold temperatures.

Now when we look at this chart, we have Ice VI, VII, X, and XI forming at high pressure in the temperature range of 0 to 100 degrees Celsius (i.e., the normal range for liquid water under normal pressure). If you subscribe to the idea that the core concept of Ice Type Pokemon is cold temperatures and not frozen water, then those forms of ice would be devoid of the critical element of ice type Pokemon. As such, Greninja's weapons, while technically ice (i.e., solidified water) would be infused with water-type characteristics and not ice type.

If Greninja's solidified water weapons were created by temperature changes, I'd agree with your concern, but since its due to pressure change, it's still purely water-type to me, and not at all influenced by ice type powers. Greninja just seems to be an incredibly unique water Pokemon in that it can manipulate the states of water through pressure, unlike dual Water/Ice Pokemon (like Lapras) who do it through temperature.

Now, what I want to know is if Greninja's control on pressurizing water also extends to relieving pressure, or if it can be trained to do that. If it can, than Greninja can vaporize water without the need of applying any sort of heat. Can you imagine the type of dominance it would have in a water-only Pokemon tournament, if it can depressurize an opponent's Hydro Pump, turn it into water vapour, without harming yourself from 100 degree Celsius steam.

I mean, technically you're right, the temperature at which water freezes shifts with the pressure exerted on it. But on the flip side, it's also saying that the pressure at which water freezes shifts with temperature (i.e., the hotter it is, the greater the pressure needed). Greninja solidifies water not by manipulating temperature, but by manipulating pressure. It's a lot less intuitive to "increase pressure" than it is to "drop temperature" but, that's apparently how Greninja does it.

Thanks for explaining it, it makes a lot more sense to me now.

My game headcanon is where May and Steven elope after she beats the Elite Four.....oh, and after she turns 18/21/whatever.

Yes, I'm a hardcore shipper. No shame.

According to the pokedex, Eevee is native to Kanto. You receive one in both Celadon City and Goldenrod City in Gen I and II. But, you can't find any in the wild. The first time you can encounter wild Eevee, in the main games, is in Unova (BW2). There for I believe that Eevee are native to Unova aswell as Kalos.
The same goes for (and maybe others) the Lapras, Beldum, Riolu and Zorua you get as a gift. All introduced in their original generation but unavailable to be found in the wild. Most of them however are found in later regions, thus meaning (to me) that they are native to that particular region.

My only explanation for why they are given as gifts is that they are from another region and therefore really rare.

I insist that Houndour is a Johto Pokemon, even if it's normally only found in Kanto. There are much larger populations in Johto, they're just not normally seen by the player.

Pokemon sent to the PC don't just sit in stasis, they go to the regional Professor's lab, similar to what happens in the anime. No, I don't care if the way Pokerus works causes problems with this. This is what happens, and you're never going to convince me otherwise!

I still pronounce "harshly" as "ha-rash-ly" whenever I see it in game, something I have done since the early days of playing.

The 5 "neutral" Natures (Hardy, Docile, Serious, Bashful and Quirky) aren't specifically made to be neutral. Rather, since every Nature has one boosted and one reduced stat, the five neutral Natures are the result of the same stat being boosted and reduced.

Hardy: Attack boosted and reduced
Docile: Defense boosted and reduced
Serious: Speed etc.
Bashful: Special Attack etc.
Quirky: Special Defense etc.

Actually, this one's true, though I'm not sure if the natures match up to the stats exactly like that.

... Yeah, here we go. Based on how they're ordered in XY when you search by nature in the PC, it's exactly what you said there.

*fingerpistols*

EDIT: New headcannon. This was a rumor around my school when the first Pokemon games came out when I was twelve @_@

• A Cubone is a Charmander whose tail flame went out. It's ashamed, so it hides its face behind a skull.
If that Charmander's flame went out, it wouldn't just be ashamed; it would be stone-dead.

Mine is that the core series and PMD series exist in the same universe. On a planet, there are two dimensions: one on the base of the earth, and one that is islands that kinda float in the air (basically like in this Sonic OVA: Sonic the Hedgehog - The Movie OVA (Full and 1080p HD) - YouTube). It is extremely hard to get from one to the other and, as such, only "godly" Pokemon (Arceus, etc.) can do so. The core series universe is on the earth while the PMD universe is on the floating islands. They share the same legendaries in mythology and events. For example, the Rayquaza from RSE is the same one as the one from MDRB.

I am not sure how humans would get transported and turned into Pokemon, though. Maybe a godly Pokemon foresees danger on the floating islands and does something magical. Or maybe there are points that connect the dimensions together and Pokemon and rarely humans can accidentally be transported through. If this were the case, I suppose these points would be places such as Spear Pillar in the former dimension and places like Mt. Thunder or where time gears are hidden in the latter dimension.

I dunno, I was just always intrigued by the Coronet Rock in MDTDS, especially since it's the equivalent of training compatible Pokemon at Mt. Coronet.

Last edited:
To settle the Mew/Arceus debate, Mew is erroneously thought to be the ancestor of ALL pokemon; in truth, it was the first pokemon made by Arceus to populate the planet.
This means that while it contains the DNA of Arceus (and thus all pokemon) due to its maker, legendary pokemon Arceus made or were born alongside it like the Lake Trio, Weather Trio, Space Trio and Regis did not evolve from ancient Mew unlike all other species.

Additionally, the Fairy type pokemon of the world were assumed to be other typed because they were not originally fairies; the process of natural evolution somewhat recently (at least between BW2 and XY) caused many previously grass, psychic and other types to develop these new powers which allowed them to take on dragon-types. This evolution was mostly because trainers were abusing the dragon type and as a result spurred on adaptation.
In the past, AZ's Floette was probably a Grass/Psychic like Exeggcute's family line. It may even have been the first pokemon to evolve into a Fairy-type.

THough this doesn't explain how transferred Pokemon change. For this, my explanation is as follows;
unlike real life evolution, its pokemon equivalent releases a special energy similar to the family evolution energy which goes into the atmosphere and affects all pokemon nearby, eventually encompassing the region and beyond. This means the Luvdisc-Alomamola ancestor would have changed into Alomamolas and Luvdiscs, presumably at the same time, and the "energy" given off by this permanent evolution spread to other ancestors in the area and causing them to turn into the same thing. These pokemon can be found in other regions today due to mass migrations, but their home regions are usually where they originally evolved.

Also, in an alternate Timeline where Lysandre's plan succeeded, pokemon became a work of fiction thought to have been dreamed up by developers from Japan and were reduced to works of fiction.

The Dark-, Steel- and Fairy-types have always existed, they just weren't always officially recognized as types because the whole concept of elemental typing is very hard to grasp scientifically. It can take years for a proposed new type to make its way to the official match-up chart. The typing of specific Pokémon is also hotly contested, and reclassification does occur every so often. As the games are only representations of the actual events, any strengths and weaknesses related to a reclassified Pokémon's "new" type may not be accurately represented in older games, despite having always existed in reality.

As for Charmander, I say its tail flame dies when it dies, not necessarily the other way around. The misconception came about as a result of either faulty observations or simply poor communication, and has become so widespread that even Charmander living in the wild have come to believe it.

The Dark-, Steel- and Fairy-types have always existed, they just weren't always officially recognized as types because the whole concept of elemental typing is very hard to grasp scientifically

That was true for at least Fairy type, confirmed by in-game dialogue.

As for Charmander, I say its tail flame dies when it dies, not necessarily the other way around. The misconception came about as a result of either faulty observations or simply poor communication, and has become so widespread that even Charmander living in the wild have come to believe it.
That's probably canon too. Look at the Gen II entries:

G:The flame on its tail shows the strength of its life force. If it is weak, the flame also burns weakly.
S:The flame on its tail indicates Charmander's life force. If it is healthy, the flame burns brightly.
C:If it's healthy, the flame on the tip of its tail will burn vigorously, even if it gets a bit wet
The entries from Gen III onward also share the same sentiment. The only source that suggests blowing out the flame results in its death is in the anime (surprise, surprise). All it's other entries suggest that its flame measures its life force, not that it's life force is the flame. From BW onward, it literally says the flame is a measure of its life force, so its more similar to gauging a person's health from their skin complexion.

If it goes out because you pour water on it, Charmander's not going to die, its tail will light up again when its dry. If it goes out spontaneously, your Charmander's probably on its deathbed. There's already evidence in-canon that being engulfed in water doesn't kill it. We've seen Red's Charizard in Origins survive being thrown into a body of water.

If it goes out because you pour water on it, Charmander's not going to die, its tail will light up again when its dry. If it goes out spontaneously, your Charmander's probably on its deathbed. There's already evidence in-canon that being engulfed in water doesn't kill it. We've seen Red's Charizard in Origins survive being thrown into a body of water.
The way I view it is similar -- in the case of dousing a Charmander/eleon/izard, the tail probably steams and bubbles from trying to burn the water around it. Once the Pokemon dries out, the tail just lights back up like nothing ever happened.

According to the pokedex, Eevee is native to Kanto. You receive one in both Celadon City and Goldenrod City in Gen I and II. But, you can't find any in the wild. The first time you can encounter wild Eevee, in the main games, is in Unova (BW2). There for I believe that Eevee are native to Unova aswell as Kalos.
The same goes for (and maybe others) the Lapras, Beldum, Riolu and Zorua you get as a gift. All introduced in their original generation but unavailable to be found in the wild. Most of them however are found in later regions, thus meaning (to me) that they are native to that particular region.

My only explanation for why they are given as gifts is that they are from another region and therefore really rare.

Technically, you first find Eevee in the wild in Sinnoh, though, I assume you mean appearing in the wild naturally.

I just thought of two:

The Binacle that make up a Barbaracle possess some form of telepathy, or at least the head does. I guess I thought it'd be weird if the head talked to the other Binacle in battle, since the opposing Pokemon would hear them or something.

Kind of like how Jasmine trained Rock-types before Steel-types were discovered, Karen specialized in another type before Dark-types. I'd say poison, since she has a Vileplume and Gengar in your first match against her.

Sorry if any were already mentioned.

Golett and Golurk get their Ghost typing because that's the closest thing their energy resembles. They aren't actually spirits or true Ghosts; their energy just acts like it.

I just thought of something to add to this;
In the ancient past, Golett and Golurk actually were built in many types, but only the Ghost-Types survived to this day due to their longevity; when they "die" or run out of energy they effectively turn into rocks and thus, little evidence has been found of discoloured Goletts.

Here's some stuff I have about the Stat Trainers:

Buck

• He's Flint's brother (I thought this before it was confirmed; I recall there wasn't consensus on this)
  • He has more potential to be a powerful trainer than Flint--Flint just has more experience. Given time, he'll overtake his brother.

Riley
  • He's older than Byron. Byron states that he's not sure how old Riley is, and Riley says he's the owner of the (long abandoned) mine in Iron Island. His aura abilities slows down the biological aging process, so he's able to stay in his prime much longer.
    • Related to this, Aura's general ability to slow down the aging process is directly related to the strength of one's aura. The stronger it is, the greater their longevity.
  • Sir Aaron exists in the game universe. However, Riley isn't just a biological descendant, he also inherited Sir Aaron's aura (much like Ash having a similar aura to Sir Aaron in the movie)
    • Sir Aaron in the game universe is actually the Lucario user who discovered Mega Evolution. Because of this, Riley is a distant relative of Korrina. Korrina's family line also lost the ability to use aura as their focus shifted towards Mega Evolution.

Marley

• She actually catches Shaymin, not the player. However, she never uses Shaymin to battle.

And here's some stuff I have on glitches and the origin of Mewtwo's mega stones:

Missingno and 'M exist in-universe, and are part of the Mew cloning project that was being done in Cinnabar Mansion.
  • Mewtwo is the first fully functional clone created, but appeared as a younger version of itself initially
  • Dr. Fuji was aware of Mega Stones, and was able to artificially create two Mega Stones for Mewtwo--one that unleashed its hidden physical potential, and one that unleashed its hidden mental potential.
  • However, Dr. Fuji wanted to get around the limitations of Mega Stones and try to see if he could make a Pokemon who's full potential was continually unleashed.
  • Work began on a cloning process that would create Mewtwo X and Mewtwo Y, clones of Mew that had their hidden potential permanently unleashed.
  • The original Mewtwo was put to sleep so that it wouldn't accidentally harm its siblings while they were still in development
  • Despite being put to sleep, Mewtwo's powers kept it aware of its environment. It started to feel threatened as it sensed from other researchers that they considered it a disposable experiment.
  • In self defense, Mewtwo destroyed the lab and escaped, taking its two Mega Stones with it.
  • Mewtwo X and Mewtwo Y's bodies were gravely injured, however, their psychic abilities were strong enough that they were able to sustain their consciousness outside of their physical bodies. These disembodied consciousnesses became 'M and Missingno.
  • While they were alive, they couldn't sustain themselves in the real world indefinitely. As such, they created a dimension that would eventually be known as Glitch City for their consciousness to reside in without having to experience the physical stress of the real world

Last edited:
One thing I find real interesting is government in the Pokemon world (or lack of). Presumably the lack of Police officers is due to a very low crime rate. As evidenced by the technology in the games, human civilization is very advanced. While I hate to compare it to our world, they are hundreds of years beyond our capabilities. Not only is their technology advanced but their culture is as well. The people of the Pokemon world live in a near Utopia. Likely after the war (though it's unclear where it took place) the people of the Pokemon world just decided violence was no longer the answer.

Now the form of government seems to be a regional Elite Four. In all likelihood they function as an oligarchy. They're kinda like the Jedi Council. They do very little governing though because as I said the Pokemon world is a near Utopia, there isn't much of a need for governance. Largely, they function symbolically. Why they don't stop the bad guys in the world is because that seems to be the duty of the Champion, the actual leader of their region. That's evidenced by the fact that Lance, Cynthia, Steven, Wallace, and Alder all aid you in the main plot. As for Diantha, I believe she defers leadership to the Elite Four due to the Kalosians resenting a King/Queen like figure. That and well she seems to care very little about her people. Typically there's also one Elder among the group (Agatha, Bertha, Koga, Drake, and Drasna) who has some sort of special status and are probably regarded in very high esteem.

Unova however seems to have a different form of Government. Given that Drayden is Mayor of Opelucid City one can assume the same about the others. They each govern their town or city and ultimately answer to the Elite Four who answer to the Champion. Johto too is a bit odd in that despite being a separate region, they defer governance to Kanto or maybe they are Kanto's vassal in a way. Maybe the war Lt. Surge was in was between Kanto/Johto and Kanto won, thereby earning the right to govern that land.

Last edited:
My friend and I came up with the real-life equivalents of the evil teams:
Team Rocket- the Mafia
Team Magma/Aqua- two feuding rival gangs
Team Galactic- Crazed scientologists. We couldn't think of a better one... but hey, they're all about science and the universe, so yeah...
Team Plasma- A corrupt church.
Team Flare- A Doomsday cult.

All of these teams also can be labeled as terrorist organizations. Especially Team Galactic, with their bombs...

Back
Top Bottom