• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

For the sake of simplicity, I just refer to the Pokemon planet as "Earth".

* The playable characters of each game are siblings: i.e Red and Leaf are brother and sister, Ethan, Crystal, and Lyra are siblings, etc.

* The appearance and many traits of a Pokemon come from their surroundings, living or not. Quadupedal Pokemon such as Growlithe, Poochyena, the Eeveelutions, etc. have been adapted to living around dogs or other quadupedal Pokemon. Humanoid Pokemon such as the Tyrouge family, Meditite/Medicham, Smoochum/Jynx, Machop family, and the Ralts family have all adapted to life with humans.

** Going with the above, Dragon-types are a superior and rare type that were created directly by Arceus and other powerful legendary Pokemon.

* Ghost-type Pokemon are the spirits of Pokemon who were cursed with living in their current state by a legendary Pokemon such as Arceus, Mew, or the legendary Birds/Beasts after doing a malevolent deed. It is a chance for redemption, and the Pokemon will be changed back after it has shown complete change (and the legendary Pokemon can know for sure using their powers). Otherwise, it is sent to the Distortion World.

** Humans can also become these Pokemon.

* The PMD region is the farthest from all of the others. Pokemon were brutally enslaved thousands of years before by a cruel tribe. These Pokemon were the first known besides the legendaries and Unown to know language and writing, as well as great intelligence compared to Pokemon who live elsewhere. They overthrew their masters in a long civil war before driving them all out and claiming the land for themselves, only allowing other Pokemon and very rarely the occasional human, if he showed kindness to all of the residents of the region. Of course, very little humans have reached the region due to its distance, but its existence is very well acknowledged by scientists.

* Pokemon are sentient and, in fact, many are much smarter than the average human being. The inability to speak human language for most Pokemon comes from the actual vocal cords and lips, or possible lack of thereof. Many Pokemon, especially those who show a strong resemblance to humans, are capable of speaking fluent human languages, albeit with much practice.

* Regular animals very well do exist, and in fact have influenced the traits of many Pokemon as mentioned in the second point on the list.

* On the "Mew vs Arceus: who was first?" debate; I believe that Arceus is the creator of all Pokemon.

** Mew is only one of many "ancestor" Pokemon created by Arceus- one was created for all of the planets. Pokemon are the most common beings in the entire universe, being created everywhere by ancestor Pokemon created by Arceus. It is nearly impossible for humans to truly know of every Pokemon.

*** Not many Pokemon were created by these ancestors, relative to the total amount. Many individual Pokemon derive from others, and adapted to the environment around them, see point 2 again. Many old species who were ancestors to other Pokemon are completely extinct due to this.

I've got some more headcanons in me:
  • Real life animals do exist in the Pokemon world, but are either very scarce due to competing with Pokemon for resources or in captivity by humans as livestock.
  • Some Pokemon protect animals from other Pokemon.
  • Diglett and Dugtrio always have their bodies submerged underground due to being extremely fragile.
  • Like others have said, Slowpoke absorbs tons of knowledge about the universe all at once, but that's not what gives it its psychic powers. Instead, that knowledge gives Slowpoke a seizure which, like Psyduck, give Slowpoke its powers. However, Slowpoke's seizure is much more intense than Psyduck's headache could ever be, thus granting it the Psychic-type.
  • Any region can have multiple champions, as proven by the Hall of Fame, but only one at a time can be the active champion of their region. In order to become the active champion, they must beat all of the non-active champions that aren't retired or deceased. This explains why the player characters don't get to take the regional champion's place immediately after conquering the Pokemon League; they haven't had the chance to take on all of the other champions yet.
  • Most Legendary Pokemon aren't really gods, despite the various myths about them. In addition, the only true Gods of the Pokemon world are the Lake Trio, Creation Trio and Arceus. Even then, those are merely avatars of the actual gods that ended up taking on lives of their own.
  • Lucas and Dawn are siblings that were separated at birth, but they didn't figure it out until after the events of DPPt.

• Most Legendary Pokemon aren't really gods, despite the various myths about them. In addition, the only true Gods of the Pokemon world are the Lake Trio, Creation Trio and Arceus. Even then, those are merely avatars of the actual gods that ended up taking on lives of their own.
I'd go further than that - I don't think Arceus, the lake trio or the creation trio are gods, either. I'm arcnostic!

All legendary pokémon are just rare and powerful pokémon that people have seldom glimpsed and often discussed. They're not unique, just rare, and it's not that they're genderless so much as zoologists haven't studied them enough to identify their genders. Heatran, Latios, Latias and Cresselia are exceptions - we know enough about them. The myths might, occasionally, be based in truth, but it's more likely that a Groudon created an island chain, somewhere, and the legend mutated. They become heroes of folklore, like Robin Hood.

Mew, I suspect, is indeed very old, and is probably a common ancestor of many pokémon. I do believe that Ho-oh brought a Raikou, an Entei and a Suicune back to life (or, rather, back from the brink of death) in the Burnt Tower, too - seems consistent with what we've seen and what we know about it, Sacred Ash and all that. There are plausible stories - and we've seen Xerneas and Yveltal's power in action. Just, pinch of salt.

I don't believe many of the superstitions around ghost pokémon, either. Again, fables: people found Banette a bit creepy, and they feared it, and when they talked about it, they made stuff up. "It's an abandoned puppet," "hatred turned it into a pokémon" - it's like the idea that the aye-aye is a symbol of death, or black cats are unlucky. Nice stories, but it's just a creepy, gaseous animal.

Also, in my head, the Lati twins have probably evolved from the same, undiscovered, baby pokémon.

I've got some more.

*Red was gifted by Oak the other two starters mostly a way to prevent loneliness on Mt. Silver and provide him with some sort of activity to keep him occupied.

*PCs are around 16-17, not 10-11, despite what their heights may suggest.

*Excluding Kalos, all region's Pokemon Centers acts as hotels.

*Pokemon ARE eaten. A delicacy is Sharpedo soup in the Hoenn region, for example. Hunting with your own Pokemon is also permitted, but a license is obviously required.

*Champions are effectively the monarch of their respective regions. The reason PCs don't end up serving as Champion is because they are too young to govern correctly. The Elite Four are the "honor guard".

*Kanto during the times of R/B was an extremely poor, troubled region by war with Johto, their current allies. The reason Team Rocket was omnipresent everywhere was because they were exploiting the harmed region. Giovanni was appointed as Gym Leader by taking advantage of the deceased Gym Leader's position. During the time-gap between, Kanto became a prosperous region once again, but was forced to merge government with Johto. Lance was voted as the best ruler.

*Red's Raichu died in the fight to capture Mewtwo. Red, angry with himself, released the Mewtwo and the Birds, knowing they belonged in the wild. Blue took advantage of this, still bitter with defeat, and said Red had killed it himself. The police, being ineffective, deemed the slash marks caused by Swift to be knife cuts and are hunting down Red. Red went up Mt. Silver to hide, knowing no one dares come there. His Pikachu is his Raichu's child, and he has been unable to find a Thunder Stone. Moltres lies in Mt. Silver due to it's strong bond with it's Trainer. Gold was sent by Oak to find him so Red's name could be cleared, but Red committed suicide after defeat, believing him to be an authority. Red in the PWT is a fan of him.

*The Stat Trainers are an official part of the Sinnoh Pokemon League.

I understand most of these are kind of ridiculous, but headcanons are headcanons, I guess.

Edit: I have another.

*Shauna is absolutely infatuated with Calem, while Calem likes Serena. Shauna, in desperation, cracked after spying on him and Serena for a while and became an active stalker; being hunted by police. (If you're curious, yes I somehow came up with this headcanon with my loathing for her.)

Last edited:
I have a theory that Volkner's father is Lt. Surge, Wattson is his grandfather, Elesa is his sister, and Clemont is a distant cousin.

BUT! It's not just a theory!

It's a GAME THEORY! :cool:

I'd buy that, actually.

Ok, I'll bite.

*The world of Pokemon is in all actuality, our world far in the future after our civilization nearly drove itself into extinction. Humans rebounded and discovered that their bio-engineered creations of old had evolved and turned into what are now referred to as Pokemon. This explains how the regions of the world are different, and yet references to "ancient" places such as Papa New Guinea and Minnesota are made in the anime.

*The PCs are naturally somewhat psychic. This is how they are able to tell what Pokemon a trainer will bring out next, and react accordingly. They themselves are not aware of this ability and only know it to be a gut feeling that they should swap Pokemon.

Ok, I'll bite.

*The world of Pokemon is in all actuality, our world far in the future after our civilization nearly drove itself into extinction. Humans rebounded and discovered that their bio-engineered creations of old had evolved and turned into what are now referred to as Pokemon. This explains how the regions of the world are different, and yet references to "ancient" places such as Papa New Guinea and Minnesota are made in the anime.

*The PCs are naturally somewhat psychic. This is how they are able to tell what Pokemon a trainer will bring out next, and react accordingly. They themselves are not aware of this ability and only know it to be a gut feeling that they should swap Pokemon.

I think your mixing this up with Guyana, which is in South America, the location where Mew was discovered. Papua New Guinea is in the Pacific Ocean and is, as far as I know, not connected to the Pokemon World.

So far me being a grammar Nazi.
But I do like your headcanon though. it explains why there are similarities between both worlds.

Legendary Pokémon aren't truly legendary in the sense of being unique, or omnipotent deities. They are exceptionally powerful Pokémon adopted as religious symbols by primitive tribes inhabiting the world of the games. Over the years, they were formalized as deities. Some live in environments that are too environmentally extreme for any human to enter, hence those that wander beyond those lands are deemed legendary. In the case of the legendary beasts, the catalysts for the Eeveelution's further evolutions are deemed inhuman by modern standards.

The Poke Wars were initiated when humanity decided to carve a place for itself in the grand scheme of the world. Prior to the wars, human settlements existed in either isolation or large communities due to the threat of wild Pokémon. Food shortages, sickness and lack of space for further growth led mankind into the wilds beyond their cities' walls. In establishing trade relationships with nearby cities, mankind began to take a stand against the threat posed by the wild Pokémon. Eventually a group of humans discovered that Pokémon attacks could be extracted from a Pokémon and weaponized for human use. This allowed mankind to experience further growth while sowing the seeds for anti-human Poke-activism. Pokeactivists seeking to help the wild Pokémon discovered older texts about forming soul bonds with Pokémon, which involved the use of apricorns. In reality, apricorns affect Pokémon on a genetic level, switching off genes that promote increased aggression. Thus Pokeactivists pioneered the first Pokeballs. Another faction--not among the Pokeactivists or TM wielding humans--noticed that the Pokémon snared by the Pokeactivists seemed to be lacking something. In discovering the deleterious effects of the early Pokeballs, this group set out to find a blending of the day's science and the old world's spirituality that would allow humans and Pokémon to coexist in peace. This group became the first Elite Four and went on to establish the Pokémon League.

A second conflict erupted between the Pokeactivists, TM wielders, and the Elite Four's Pokémon League supporters.

Ok, I'll bite.

I think your mixing this up with Guyana, which is in South America, the location where Mew was discovered. Papua New Guinea is in the Pacific Ocean and is, as far as I know, not connected to the Pokemon World.

So far me being a grammar Nazi.
But I do like your headcanon though. it explains why there are similarities between both worlds.

Thanks for the clarification! Always got those two confused.

Mine is this:

*Pokemon are really animals but much superior than an average animal because their superior intelligent level, different genes structure(due to their ability to be catch in pokeball) and strength.

*Professor Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper, Sycamore and other Pokemon Professor are originally(professionally) called Pokemon Veterinary Physician and/or Scientist or also known as "PokeVets".

*That all human-like Pokemon(except for legends) has the highest intelligent level than other Pokemon. They can be considered as "Top of the Food Chain" for all regular Pokemon.

*That Pokeball was invented and enhanced by ancient people to prevent cruelty against Pokemon and to promote much friendlier way to catch them.

*Pokemon Evolution is being determine through the age of the Pokemon and not by its level as there is no such thing as "level" in the IRL Pokemon World. Pokemon under evolution state has two seasons to fully complete the evolution state of one Pokemon and not just by a snap. By evolution, different moods and strength are being discovered by the Pokemon.

*In every region, there's an Eevee Sanctuary Forest(naturally made by Nature, not by human) where all different evolutions of Eevee came to hatch their egg. In this forest, all Eevees are gathered until they reach their chosen evolutions.

*Eevees, irregardless of the evolution of their parent, can evolve into other evolutions and can be determine in their skin when they reach the age of 2. Naturally they have their own will on what type they want to evolve. However, with its trainer's discretion, Eevee can evolve into other types irregardless on what they wanted to be. Depending on the trainer's friendship level with Eevee, after evolution, Eevee will disobey its trainer if the type is not what Eevee wants.

*The origins of all ghost type Pokemon is a mutation of Pokemon's soul and existing genes of other Pokemon and they are not considered as natural occurrences but a phenomenal occurrences.

*Legends are not really obtainable as they are mystical creature and their intelligent is one of human-like. Instead, Legends are somewhat origins of some and other Pokemon that caused by phenomenal event.

*Arceus, Mew, Celebi, Lugia, Ho-oh and the other guardians and legends are Pokemon of the gods of the Pokemon world sent to guard the IRL Pokemon World. And bring balance whenever there's a conflict.

*Arceus is the Pokemon of the highest god of Pokemon world.

*Mewtwo is a result of the ambition of human to level the Pokemon of the gods sent in the Pokemon World.

That's all for today. I still have few. But I'll post whenever its ready.

• The level at which a pokemon evolves is dependent on the trainer's skill. Hence very talented people like Lance or Ghetsis are able to make their pokemon evolve much sooner than the player.
  • Meloetta is actually the trio master of the lake guardians.
  • Agatha and Bertha are related.
  • Lorelei secretly admires Red.

Last edited:
Here's one I have:
The original Tao dragon was a Dragon/Psychic type with a BST on par with Arceus(720), since Reshiram learns Extrassensory via level up and Zekrom learns Zen Headbutt via level up, and the fact the trio has a 20-point base stat theme going on (Reshiram and Zekrom have a BST of 680, which is 20-points higher than Kyurem (660), and Black/White Kyurem has a BST 20-points higher than both of the former (700)).
This original dragon would have had an ability that worked the same as Turboblaze and Terravolt, but with a different name, Kyurem has Pressure since it's the "leftovers" or "void" of the original dragon.
It would have also looked nothing like any of three, and it would have been unable to learn their signature moves, since both attributes are a result of the split.
And finally, the original dragon arrived via a Dragon Stone (like the Light and Dark stones) like a comet, crashing in the Giant Chasm, and eventually awakened somehow, joining the twin founders of Unova.

Karen was Agatha's student since their specialized types and battling styles are similar, plus they both own a Gengar, are the member of the E4 fought right before Lance and with Agatha being as old as she is would make sense to have trained someone to take her place.

Mew can mega evolve, its mega stone just hasn't been discovered yet. This explains why Mewtwo can mega evolve despite its artificial origin and why one of its forms resembles Mew.

Some mega evolutions could be how the Pokemon species was a long time ago (like how on the official site some people think Mega Aerodactyl is its original form pre fossilization). Pinsir is described in the pokedex as not liking cold temperatures despite lacking a weakness to ice. This could be explained by Pinsir once having ancestors who are like its Mega form which are flying types (weak to ice) but have evolved out of the sky by an ice age which left us with terrestrial Pinsir but having dormant genes for flight (and an inherit dislike of cold weather) which are able to express themselves upon mega evolution.

Unova has more non-gen 5 pokemon in BW2 because the former player (and many others) imported old pokemon and released many of them into the wild because of breeding for competitive stats.

Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are TM moves in gen 1 but not Flamethrower and all three become TMs in gen 3. My theory is that the move tutor from Pokemon Crystal who can teach your pokemon those three moves once went to Celadon City (because he's a gambling addict) to play at the game corner, he struck out and taught flamethrower to someone's Pokemon for coins. But he was approached soon after by a Silph employee to share his knowledge and skills to create a new line of TMs, he agreed since it would get him more money for gambling.

Some Pokemon are able to learn moves from TMs that they couldn't learn in past generations like how Venusaur can't learn Sludge Bomb until gen 3 despite the move and TM existing since gen 2. This is because some Pokemon have a more difficult time learning certain moves than others and with advances in technology and research newer TMs containing the same move are able to teach the move to that Pokemon.

In the games where the players house only shows the protagonist as having a bedroom of his or her own, and oddly no sleeping quarters for Mom, I believe that when the player goes upstairs to their room, there's actually a whole upstairs landing that we don't see. Basically between that transition of the player going upstairs and appearing in their room, the player actually goes upstairs, arrives on the landing and then heads into their room, all offscreen.

The PC is actually a way to send Pokemon to a regional Professor, in my story they are sent to the trainer's home region. (White2 will always send them to Hoenn, where Prof. Birch takes care of them.)

Legendaries are never actually stored in the PC, their Pokeballs are, while they free-roam the world and beyond. When you withdraw one, you actually just get its ball, where you shine the red light from it into the sky, acting as a signal, where the legendary will react and come to aid you almost instantly. I personally like to imagine Rayquaza bolting out of the clouds. Deoxys comes from space, Sinnoh Dragon Trio appear from a portal from their respective dimension. Kyogre opens a hole in a body of water to appear, where Groudon does so with land. The rest appear in more undefined or obvious ways.

Dittos are failed clones of Mew, but this is only known and confirmed among some characters and Prof. Oak.

Legendaries are mostly exclusive to my main character.

Mewtwo escaped Kanto to go to Kalos, which is where he was seen standing on a tower in a big city wearing a cape, which was Lumiose City. This is why he was not seen outside of Kanto until Kalos.

I like to think that cloning glitches aren't glitches, but are a secret scientific invention only known to my character and a select few individuals. It can happen just as easily as Mewtwo did it in the first movie.

Meeting a shiny is considered a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and you are an extremely lucky trainer if you find a second one.

Sending Pokemon through the PC sends it to your regional professor or professor of personal preference like in the Anime.

There only Legendaries to have more than one of its kind are Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Lugia, Celebi, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Heatran, Regigigas, Shaymin, and Genesect.

Lugia, Latias, and Manaphy are the only Legendaries known to breed.

There was only one Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina until the Arceus event that takes place in Hg/Ss.

The Player Character has a unique bond with Pokemon that the rivals don't, the Player Character is also generally very analytic, unlike all the other trainers, having a wide variety of moves and EVs purposely placed into a specific category, a level of skill only matched by The Elite Four, Champion, and other special trainers (Battle Facility leaders, post-game trainers etc.)

Hundreds of years ago, the Sinjoh Ruins are what remains of a frozen path that connected Sinnoh to Johto, but global warming melted that to ocean, and this is the only spot remaining of that path, what used to be an icy path between Sinnoh and Johto is now the ocean that can only be taken by ship to get from one region to the other.. Sinnoh Pokemon could come to the Kanto and Johto regions, but something scared the Sinnoh Pokemon off and Sinnoh somehow became distant to the north of Kanto and Johto's landmasses. The Sinjoh ruins are distant from Sinnoh now, but Sinnoh used to be quite close.

Sinnoh is directly north Kanto, and it takes at least a day to get there on boat.

Hoenn is south-west of Johto, which is why Groudon and Kyogre and Rayquaza appear just west of Cianwood, at the Embedded Tower.

Unova is north of Johto quite a ways, being westish of Sinnoh, but not quite posessing the cold climate Sinnoh does. It can take up to a week to get there on boat. That's why the port is on the south-side of Unova, because most, if not all regions are to the south or east.

Kalos' surrounding water is mostly to the west, so I think Kalos is completely east of Kanto, and again, it can easily take a week to get there on boat.

My Player Character follows his own storyline too, beginning his journey in Hoenn (Emerald), eventually going to Sinnoh (Diamond), then Johto and Kanto (SoulSilver), Unova (White 2), and finally Kalos (Y). He always sends his Pokemon to Prof. Birch.

•Eevee where originally non-native to most regions outside of Kanto and Johto. Sometime before Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, the Eevee species was introduced to the Sinnoh region, where it was discovered they could evolve into Glaceon and Leafeon when coming into contact with their respective Sinnoh-based evolution triggers. Nobody previously knew of these evolutions simply because Eevee had rarely ever entered the region before, let alone go to those specific areas where the evolution triggers are. Soon, it was discovered that similar triggers existed in Unova and Kalos also.

•Relations between Kanto and Johto where rocky during Generation I. So much so that the two regions rarely interacted and traded with eachother. This is because the two regions where previously at war several years prior (think of it like the heavy anti-Japanese sentiment that lingered over Korea for several decades). During the two year gap, relations finally softened and the regions began to associate with eachother again (a road was built connecting Mt. Silver with Victory Road, the Saffron to Goldenrod magnet train was constructed, etc.) This could also account for why Kanto knew so little about any Pokemon that existed beyond their native 150.

•Fennel is secretly in love with Professor Juniper.

•There are multiple versions of Palkia: due the Pokemon's ability to traverse dimensions, a lot of the Palkias that appear in different continuities could very well be the same entity (random example: the Palkia Ash and friends meet in the anime could be the same one that the Sinnoh Pokedex holders encountered in Pokemon Adventure)

•(This ones kinda inspired from the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, of which I'm a huge nerd): all of the different Pokemon continuities (anime, mangas, etc.) all exist in a large multiverse. The main, "Prime" universe that all other universes stem from is the one where most of the games occur, said universe is also surrounded by tiny little pocket timelines consisting of every possible scenario the game universe could take (random example: in the main universe Brendan moves to Hoenn and sets off on his journey, while in one of the pocket timelines it's May instead, or vice versa). Some of the alternate realities also serve as "sub-prime" universes (example: all of the manga universes that are based on the anime stems from the main anime universe, which in turn stems off from the game universe). The Pokemon multiverse even overlaps with other multiverse's in some cases. For instance, at one of the furthest edges of the PokeMultiverse is the Super Smash Bros universe, which exists precisely on the border between the PokeMultiverse and the multiverse's of every other franchise that appears in the game (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Zelda, etc.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom