• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Latios and Latias are siblings.

The protagonists are young adults, instead of pre-teens.

Black and White are two alternate realities.

Team Plasma has attacked trainers and liberated their pokémon.

Giovanni bribed or otherwise got his position as gym leader illicitly.

Genderless legendary Pokemon have genders, but it is difficult to find out which gender they are. They are not phased by Attract because they are solely focused only on their goal and nothing else.

Humans are technically a species of Pokemon, and as such, have typings. Most are pure Normal-type, but some have a secondary type that grants them specific abilities - for instance, Roxie being Normal/Poison would grant her immunity to poisonous substances. On top of that, a select few have a pure or dual typing that doesn't involve Normal, which allows them full control over that type's powers. Sabrina would be a pure Psychic-type, for example.

The Ultra Beasts are all Necrozma wannabes, but their reason for taking light from other worlds differ from said entity. Basically, each world the Ultra Beasts inhabit are on the verge of collapse due to the lack of light, even missing energy on an atomic level in some cases. Thus, they underwent Darwinian evolution to follow Necrozma’s example in order to save their home dimensions.

Esserise said:
Expanding on that further, I now like to think that if Celebi were to bring back an Igglybuff, Cleffa, Elekid, Magby, Smoochum, Tyrogue, or Mime Jr. egg, the hatched Pokémon would look like it did in the Gold & Silver Spaceworld beta.
Not to be nitpicky, but why wouldn't Spiky-eared Pichu look like proto Pichu in that case?

but I do like the theory that the beta Raikou, Entei, and Suicune are the three unnamed Pokémon that died in the tower fire.
I don't, for the same reason I disliked the Eeveelution theory. The beasts are said to embody the powers associated with their resurrection - why would they just happen to have had the same types all along? Would a Fire type and Water type have died in a fire? Not to mention that in this case Rai, En and Sui were probably supposed to be just as powerful as their final counterparts.

-Pokemon is fake, imagined my a child who love making up stories and retelling them differently, which explains the continuity holes/alternate universes

-HMs can be naturally forgettable, it's just your Pokemon doesn't want to forget it so it can be helpful on your journey. In Gen 7 it's stated that the TMs for Waterfall and Surf were HM moves in other regions, but they can be forgotten just like other TM moves in Alola only, since your Pokemon don't need to hold onto these moves to help you on your journey.

Last edited:
1) Each savefile is a different timeline\universe.
2) The only legendaries to be unique are Mewtwo, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Fini. The rest are just really powerful and don't encounter humans a lot.
3) Entei, Raikou, and Suicune are just unrelated, powerful Pokémon. It is Ho-Oh's Entei, Raikou, and Suicune to be special, as they weren't always an Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. They're siblings. They can turn in human form (Entei and Raikou are boys and Suicune is a girl). They were wild Gastly of the same kind that inhabit the Bell Tower. Since they remained in the tower while it was burning, Ho-Oh premiated them by turning them into a Raikou, Entei, and Suicune. So they did'nt die, they were just turned into new beings.

1) Red isn't silent because he's a jerk; he's mute. Either because of trauma or because of a simple birth defect, he simply can't talk. This is why he trains so much with his Pokemon; he teaches them combat routines and subtle body commands such that he can fight an entire Pokemon battle, and win, just by slightly altering his stance and trusting in his Pokemon to follow the routines they have learned.

2) Red is Giovanni's illegitimate son. This is why Giovanni gave up rather than risk killing Red; Giovanni may not be the best of parents by any stretch of the imagination, but he still cares enough about his children to not want them dead.

3) The remakes are in alternate timelines. There is some reason why they keep intersecting, and we haven't discovered it yet.

4) The professors are not asking whether you're a boy or a girl because they're uncertain. They're asking just in case what they think is wrong. Except Oak; Oak is just trolling the player throughout the series.

5) All of the Pokedex entries are written by Oak, and none of them are the official entries; he's set it so they display joke entries because he gets a twisted joy out of subtly trolling young trainers. Thus explaining why Blue is such of a jerk.

6) Elesa and Skyla are dating. Because I ship it.

7) Crasher Wake and Volkner are dating. Because it amuses me.

8) Sabrina retired from being a gym leader to make movies after her time in Unova.

9) Team Skull ends up opening a clothing shop and making a lot of money off selling their clothing style.

10) Team Rocket started the whole Team craze, and they were doing it purely out of refuge in audacity. The entire Team Rocket shtick was just to make any reports to the police too weird to be believed, thus why the police had such of a hard time countering them until Red came along. Because they were so successful at it, others copied the idea.

- No player character has ever caught a legendary Pokémon. They may have temporarily owned them but released them later because they are very hard to control. (Yes even Nebby)

- The Pokémon games we see just show us the good and the bad. But not the ugly. There are obvious murders, theft, trafficking...etc.

- Blue was either working with or was bribed by Team Rocket to ignore them. This explains why (in the games at least) he completely ignores them.

- Red went to Mt. Silver to find Mew but was never successful. He eventually became obsessed with finding it.

- Ethan did not win the battle against Red in Mt. Silver. Instead I like to think after an explosion mid-battle Red disappeared.

I have too many I forgot lol :p

The main campaign of Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! is largely metaphorical. Chase, Elaine and Trace are being told the story of Red's journey and imagining themselves as the main characters. Blue appears in a role separate from that of the rival because he is the storyteller. Inspired, they set out on a quest to defeat all of Kanto's Master Trainers, including Red, and become renowned Pokémon Masters in their own right. The parts of the story that are real take place approximately two years before Black and White.

The hero and heroine of Pokémon Conquest are Giovanni's ancestors. Their goal is to defend Ransei against destructive forces and unify the kingdoms under a single banner—in other words, "to protect the world from devastation, to unite all peoples within our nation."

The hero and heroine of Pokémon Conquest are Giovanni's ancestors. Their goal is to defend Ransei against destructive forces and unify the kingdoms under a single banner—in other words, "to protect the world from devastation, to unite all peoples within our nation."
Wait, Giovanni is Nagamasa Azai's descendant?

EDIT: Also, a little hole in that theory. Motonari Mori in his story implies that Pokédex and Poké Balls already exist in the world, so I don't know what to think about it.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, he only mentions Poké Balls, although that still puts it in a rather recent age. Then again, Nagamasa's real life wife was Oichi, Nobunaga's sister, so maybe he decided to follow Nobunaga's path.

Last edited:
Wait, Giovanni is Nagamasa Azai's descendant?

EDIT: Also, a little hole in that theory. Motonari Mori in his story implies that Pokédex and Poké Balls already exist in the world, so I don't know what to think about it.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, he only mentions Poké Balls, although that still puts it in a rather recent age. Then again, Nagamasa's real life wife was Oichi, Nobunaga's sister, so maybe he decided to follow Nobunaga's path.

Poké Balls existed prior to 1925, after a fashion. They were just hand-crafted, primitive variants (like Apricorn Poké Balls), not the mass-produced modern form seen today.

That's a good question. He may have only meant that Poké Balls weren't widely available, therefore they may as well have not existed as far as he knew. Otherwise, I call continuity error.
Also, the "Poké Balls were made in 1925" was only mentioned on Encyclopedia Pokemonica (something that doesn't have an article on Bulbapedia) and the Pokémon Daisuki Club site. I think it's preferable to go with the game version as canon.

Also, the "Poké Balls were made in 1925" was only mentioned on Encyclopedia Pokemonica (something that doesn't have an article on Bulbapedia) and the Pokémon Daisuki Club site. I think it's preferable to go with the game version as canon.

Even then, I think it's safe to assume that some variant of the Poké Ball technology has existed for a long time. Pokémon have only been called "Pokémon" or "Pocket Monsters" for as long as they've been able to be carried in one's pocket; prior to that, they were known as "magical creatures". To date, there has been no direct depiction of that era, as far as I know. You could argue that they have to use the name "Pokémon" for marketing reasons, but I still have my doubts.

EDIT: Let me rephrase, I kind of lost track of where I was going with that. What I meant was that we have no idea when the "magical creatures" era ended and the "Pokémon" era began. The latter seems to stretch on forever in either direction.

Last edited:
That's a good question. He may have only meant that Poké Balls weren't widely available, therefore they may as well have not existed as far as he knew. Otherwise, I call continuity error.

According to the Bulbapedia entry on Apricorns, the original Pokeballs were Apricorns and they were used at least 400 years prior to Pokeballs existing. I'm uncertain if they mean modern Pokeballs or all Pokeballs; the former is going to be quite old, and the latter would have to be immortal.

According to the Bulbapedia entry on Apricorns, the original Pokeballs were Apricorns and they were used at least 400 years prior to Pokeballs existing. I'm uncertain if they mean modern Pokeballs or all Pokeballs; the former is going to be quite old, and the latter would have to be immortal.

The article more specifically states that Apricorn Poké Balls were in use between four hundred and seven hundred years before the "present day". If we take that to mean the time of Generation II, and assume that to be around the time the games themselves were released, we'd be looking at Apricorn Poké Balls coming into use sometime between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 17th century. If Pokémon Conquest is set anywhere close to the time of Oda Nobunaga's real-life conquest of Japan (approximately 1560-1582), Apricorn Poké Balls could easily have been in use at that time.

Back
Top Bottom