• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Mine is that Oak and Agatha were more than just friends or rivals and that they dated each other but Oak cared more about his career so he broke up with Agatha which caused her to hate him.
So... did they have kids or did Oak marry someone later because he has a grandson clearly meaning he had kids.

So... did they have kids or did Oak marry someone later because he has a grandson clearly meaning he had kids.
If Oak's stated age as of Generations II and IV is to be taken as gospel, I don't think it could have been anyone but Agatha. Oak would have to have conceived a child practically as soon as he was legal, possibly even a year or two before—and his child would have to have done the same—in order for Daisy to be any more than a few hours older than presumably-eleven-year-old Blue in Generations I and III (realistically, she'd have to be at least thirteen). It seems unlikely that Oak and Agatha would have already fallen out in their mid-to-late teens, and even if they had, Oak seems like he would have been too absorbed in his research at that time to care about finding a new girlfriend/wife.

Applying Oak's game age to the Adventures manga suggests that he would have fallen out with Agatha around the age of twenty-three. Based on Takeshi Shudō's anime novelizations, this would have been after Oak had already published his first research paper at age twenty, and before he became a university professor at twenty-five. It's possible he initially tried to balance Pokémon training, raising a family, and his research all at once, but got overwhelmed and ultimately decided that the pursuit of knowledge was the most important thing. Not only would this give Agatha a much more plausible reason to feel betrayed, it could explain why Oak's child would become a young parent as well—a dysfunctional childhood would naturally lead to rebellious and impulsive behavior later on. This also probably carried through into the car accident that killed Daisy and Blue's parents, as revealed in the Zensho manga.

Not sure if this is canon since I still don't have a Switch, but I feel like Melony might be one of those embarrassing parents that wants to connect with their kids, but don't get them. I can kinda picture her trying to convince his son to use Ice-Types and failing.

Not sure if this is canon since I still don't have a Switch, but I feel like Melony might be one of those embarrassing parents that wants to connect with their kids, but don't get them. I can kinda picture her trying to convince his son to use Ice-Types and failing.

I fully think this too, and I think that's also why Gordie decided to use Rock-types. A type that's effective against Ice-types.

Team Rocket set up ramen shops as fronts for their illegal businesses, but the ramen became so popular that it outstripped the profits from everything else.

This is why no one bothered to regroup Team Rocket after the events in Johto. By the way - they’re Rocket Ramen now.

Here's yet another one about Eternatus since we don't know much about the Pokemon: Eternatus is actually the skeleton of an unknown dragon Pokemon, forced to roam around without flesh or organs. It being the skeleton of another Pokemon makes even more sense when Eternatus can learn Recover, which the user restores cells to heal.

Here's my own headcanon about the Abyssal Ruins, the Relic Castle and the Dragonspiral Tower: One brother built the Relic Castle while the other built the Abyssal Ruins after the dragon split, but before the dragon split, the Dragonspiral Tower was built.

The Dragonspiral Tower used to be the home of the Original Dragon, with the building serving as a means for the people of Unova to give thanks to the dragon for ending wars in quick succession and helping them unite the region.

I'm going to start with an analysis of some stuff in the anime, but I promise it ends up relevant to the games, so just follow me for a minute.

According to Giselle's claims in EP009 of the anime, Ash's Pikachu should be at least level 25 after two months of training. Pikachu is in the Medium Fast experience group. According to my calculations, if Pikachu was obtained at level 5 like most starter Pokémon, that means it should be averaging a gain of around 300 experience points every day, rounded to the nearest hundred. Giselle makes it sound like this should be the bare minimum for adequate training. Based on calculations I talked about in another thread, this would also mean that Pikachu should be in its level 50s by the time Ash reaches the Pokémon League, after around a year and three-to-four months.

In the games, Blue is able to raise his starter (all three are in the Medium Slow experience group) sixty levels between the beginning of his journey and becoming the Champion. Based on dialogue in the Generation II games and HGSS, we are led to believe that this occurred within a single year. If Red and Blue started their journey on the day the games were released—February 27, 1996 in Japan—and arrived at Indigo Plateau circa late July (which I theorize to be the timeframe of the annual League Conference in the anime), that would mean that Blue had to have been training his Pokémon six-to-seven times as hard as recommended, and Red would have to have trained at least that hard as well to keep up with him. No wonder people call them "Battle Legends".

The weirdest thing is, considering Komala's shiny, this might not be far from the truth.

Though it kind of runs into a problem considering how the Moon Pokédex (and the Sun & Moon website) say that the log is given to it by its parents, with the subject "it" clearly being the koala.

And at the end of the day it's kind of a moot point, no? Because the koala is still there and it's still a lifeform integral to the definition of what's considered "Komala." Even if we assume something bizarre like the log containing a brain and central nervous system or something like that and the "parents" being expired hosts that are just handing the same log down to a new host, that still leaves open the question of where the koalas even come from, and if they are Pokémon themselves (suggesting a Parasect-like nature).

Last edited:
Though it kind of runs into a problem considering how the Moon Pokédex (and the Sun & Moon website) say that the log is given to it by its parents, with the subject "it" clearly being the koala.

And at the end of the day it's kind of a moot point, no? Because the koala is still there and it's still a lifeform integral to the definition of what's considered "Komala." Even if we assume something bizarre like the log containing a brain and central nervous system or something like that and the "parents" being expired hosts that are just handing the same log down to a new one, that still leaves open the question of where the koalas even come from, and if they are Pokémon themselves (suggesting a Parasect-like nature).
This is why I'd rather not poke logic on things as weird as that, since that's one of those things that is not easy to explain in any way. Aside from someone forgetting to change the koala's palette, but that would be behind-the-scenes problems.

Back
Top Bottom