• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

There's also the fact that Reshiram/Zekrom knows where Kyurem is as evidenced by N saying that his dragon told him that Kyurem came back to the Giant Chasm, so the Tao trio is psychically linked. Kyurem would've known that Nate/Rosa would've caught it after catching Reshiram/Zekrom. Also, it's interesting that Reshiram/Zekrom never canonically attacked Kyurem if battles are excluded, which further supports the idea that they know that they are naturally part of one another.

Unlike Solgaleo/Lunala having no problem attacking Necrozma, which confirms that the Light trio were always separate entities.

But I digress, legendary Pokemon are clearly more intelligent than most normal Pokemon. It's a requirement for a huge level of intelligence for things like time and space to be stable.

Lovecraft would disagree. I think.

Anyone who doesn't believe in a deity or higher power of the universe of some kind would disagree on some level. If you don't believe that an entity or entities are controlling the mechanics of the universe, then time and space seem perfectly capable of minding after themselves. No intelligence required - just physics.

Personally, with regards to Pokémon, I always find it harder to believe that the fundamental function of the incomprehensibly vast infinitude of space all comes down to one 14' tall reptile on some wet pinprick of a planet. Like, if there is an entity in charge of all that (which, fine, sure, I'm not opposed to the idea), it's just that I'd have expected something a lot more grand than a pink, pearl-encrusted dinosaur that enjoys eating cupcakes and getting tummy rubs. Not that that idea is impossible to sell across the board, but I don't think Pokémon's tone is anywhere near absurdist enough to make it convincing to me.

Last edited:
Personally, with regards to Pokémon, I always find it harder to believe that the fundamental function of the incomprehensibly vast infinitude of space all comes down to one 14' tall reptile on some wet pinprick of a planet. Like, if there is an entity in charge of all that (which, fine, sure, I'm not opposed to the idea), it's just that I'd have expected something a lot more grand than a pink, pearl-encrusted dinosaur that enjoys eating cupcakes and getting tummy rubs. Not that that idea is impossible to sell across the board, but I don't think Pokémon's tone is anywhere near absurdist enough to make it convincing to me.

I wonder whether Arceus, Dialga and Palkia really did create the Pokemon universe? I've always liked to imagine that they did, and that's what the games seem to imply, but it could just be a legend. I watched Arceus and the Jewel of Life recently and it struck me how Arceus was treated more like a regular Pokemon than a god. It's too easily tricked and harmed by humans to be an omnipotent being, at least in the anime universe.

Last edited:
70 years of being a Gym Leader has rendered Opal completely deaf in both ears. She's only able to hear Challengers' answers to her questions through telepathy & synesthesia (the latter is what she's referring to with her comments about "pink").

On that note, many Galar Gym Leaders (especially those that are less extroverted, like Allister) wear earplugs for Gym battles to protect their hearing, and it's fairly common for Pokemon to mishear their Trainers' commands over the crowd. Some people consider this one of the quirks of Galar's Pokemon League.

Last edited:
I wonder whether Arceus, Dialga and Palkia really did create the Pokemon universe? I've always liked to imagine that they did, and that's what the games seem to imply, but it could just be a legend. I watched Arceus and the Jewel of Life recently and it struck me how Arceus was treated more like a regular Pokemon than a god. It's too easily tricked and harmed by humans to be an omnipotent being, at least in the anime universe.

I think the games don’t really come down one way or the other on the matter, which I suspect is deliberate. It is arguably more interesting to leave the question hanging than to answer it definitively by saying “Yes, these are your Gods and here is the literal founding history of the universe you’re playing in.” In real life, we don’t have the answers to big questions like that, and I don’t think Game Freak are trying to suggest that the people in the Pokémon world do, either. That’s why the claims about Legendary Pokémon are always couched in terms like “according to mythology.” And why you have things like that scene they added in Platinum where Cynthia speculates about the possibility of a Pokémon greater than Dialga and Palkia, and muses that the impression of them as “rulers” of time and space might’ve originated simply from ancient peoples witnessing their power and telling stories about them that got handed down and retold for generations, preserving the feelings of awe that those ancient people must have felt. Furthermore, there is that other moment in Platinum where Cyrus dares you to stop Giratina because he believes it to be a living embodiment of the Distortion World and claims that capturing or defeating it will make the whole universe collapse. But then Cynthia argues that she doesn’t believe that a Pokémon would have the power to “make the world disappear,” saying that she thinks there is a greater reason for the existence of each and every life. And well, Cyrus’s prediction is ruled out, at the very least.

I mean, there is no doubting that the Sinnoh Legendaries have some sort of incredible power - we do see them creating *something* that appears galaxy-like when under Cyrus’s control, and Arceus shows the viewer that trippy vision sequence in HGSS in order to impart some sort of greater understanding about the world - but there isn’t really anything to verify that these powers are what the mythology claims. It *could* be, but I think a straight answer would be prescriptive and boring. I remember reading one interview with Masuda about X & Y, where he was asked if an NPC talking about how humans and Pokémon were once thought to be the same beings indicated a change in the studio’s philosophy compared to an earlier interview in which he’d said that humans and Pokémon were firmly separate creatures, and Masuda explained that the dialogue in question was, like the myths in Diamond & Pearl, simply meant to show a different perspective from ancient times.

I still maintain that that’s what GF are more interested in when they introduce these kinds of mythologies into the games - their goal isn’t to give us the answers to the grand Pokémon cosmology, but instead they want to illustrate how the relationship between Pokémon and people has changed over the ages. There might’ve been a time where Pokémon were revered as a sacred presence, while in modern times they are thought of as more like partners in everyday life. The whole point is that they are mysterious creatures, as every “Welcome to the World of Pokémon” introduction tells us.

Last edited:
Galar & Unova are the two most extroverted regions as far as culture, people, etc. Johto & Sinnoh are the most introverted.

One thing that really stood out to me about both BW & SwSh was how almost every character was either very exuberant (Bianca, Iris, Hop, Leon) or socially awkward/an outcast of sorts (N, Marnie)

Honey played a lot of softball in her teenage years. She was very talented and won a few championships, and pitching, obviously, was her strength. Sometimes she, Mustard, and the students of the dojo will play it together in the Battle Court.

I've seen a few churches preach that Jesus could be disguised as anybody (not that I personally believe that). So if a random mundane dude can be Jesus, why not a silly looking dinosaur.

I've seen a theory that "Arceus" is an avatar of an unseen being.

I like these ideas! Jesus is believed to have been the son of God and to have performed miracles, but had the appearance of a regular person with a physical body. And there are many similar examples in Hinduism, which is where the word "avatar" originated. Pokemon like Arceus, Dialga and Palkia could be compared to avatars because although they have extraordinary powers, and are said to have shaped the universe, they still behave much like other Pokemon: they can be caught in Poke Balls and damaged by other Pokemon's moves.

The avatar theory has suggested often, but the problem for me is that it's still definitive rather than ambiguous. It's still saying "there are literal deities behind these Pokémon," just changing the Pokémon themselves into sock puppets. In fact I think I might even find that more off-putting, because now, instead of Arceus being some primordial creature that had the power to create a universe-birthing singularity, it is an intelligent, eternal, transcendental consciousness that chooses to lend its power to a human in some animal sports, which makes the player reek of "Chosen One" status.

I've seen a few churches preach that Jesus could be disguised as anybody (not that I personally believe that). So if a random mundane dude can be Jesus, why not a silly looking dinosaur.

Strictly speaking, you don't even really have to go as far as Jesus is disguised as a mundane everyday person in the modern day to refute my point about size differential; one could easily cite the notion that Jesus himself was a human who is thought to have been an embodiment of God. So he would have been some plain six-foot dude, yet with an unfathomably cosmic scope.

Last edited:
Legendary Pokemon from Hoopa's rings and Ultra Wormholes don't canonically exist, the spacetime continuum being distorted makes them eventually vanish from existence.

Legendary Pokemon from Hoopa's rings and Ultra Wormholes don't canonically exist, the spacetime continuum being distorted makes them eventually vanish from existence.
It's probably canonically debunked since Solgaleo and Lunala officially reproduced by travelling to the others' dimension via wormhole in Sun/Moon...

I'm fairly sure that the wormhole I traveled through to fight a Pokemon/Human fusion existed.
It's probably canonically debunked since Solgaleo and Lunala officially reproduced by travelling to the others' dimension via wormhole in Sun/Moon...

I mean, I don't think Poke Dragon is saying that wormholes as a concept altogether are non-canonical, just that the appearances of all the old Legendary Pokémon within them are. Which I myself don't necessarily agree with, but it isn't all that different from people decanonizing the Legendary Pokémon used by NPCs in Battle Facilities. The Alola protagonist can still have traveled through the Ultra Wormholes, but the thought is that they never actually encountered a Mewtwo or Dialga that way.

I mean, I don't think Poke Dragon is saying that wormholes as a concept altogether are non-canonical, just that the appearances of all the old Legendary Pokémon within them are. Which I myself don't necessarily agree with, but it isn't all that different from people decanonizing the Legendary Pokémon used by NPCs in Battle Facilities. The Alola protagonist can still have traveled through the Ultra Wormholes, but the thought is that they never actually encountered a Mewtwo or Dialga that way.
I mean, you can’t really categorise "old Pokémon in wormholes aren’t real while new ones are" since there’s nothing special about the older ones compared to the new ones. Battle facilities I can get behind since they’re more of a gameplay without story.

Back
Top Bottom