• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Not necessarily a serious one, bordering on shitpost one, but still wanted it out here.

No Mega Evolution in Galar is a result of the Alolan Propaganda against Mega Evolution. Their Dex Entries for some Mega Evolutions are propaganda against the mechanic itself and Galar took the bait. This is also mostly due to Rose not wanting his own mechanic Dynamax be rivaled and possibly overshadowed/overthrown by another (potentially) more powerful mechanic.

Last edited:
Not necessarily a serious one, bordering on shitpost one, but still wanted it out here.

No Mega Evolution in Galar is a result of the Alolan Propaganda against Mega Evolution. Their Dex Entries for some Mega Evolutions are propaganda against the mechanic itself and Galar took the bait. This is also mostly due to Rose not wanting his own mechanic Dynamax be rivaled and possibly overshadowed/overthrown by another (potentially) more powerful mechanic.
I mean, it makes sense.

It's worth noting that the term "legendary" didn't seem to have its current definition until Gen 3, and the terminology wasn't strict until the end of Gen 6.
I think it started in Gen II, were legendaries started getting lore. Before that, it just meant bragging rights reward "powerful Pokémon".

Maybe Type: Null and Silvally count because they're more or less artificial gods?

When you capture a legendary, unless it is confirmed that multiple of it exist, you are capturing THE legendary, no avatar shenanigans, you are actually able to capture the lords of time and space, aswell as Arceus. So yes, you can have Arceus, which is most likely the mot powerful pokemon that we currently known along with Eternatus (we'll get there), only spam Cut every time you fight, though he actually enjoys the simplicity of spamming the same move over and over. We can catch them in other games because they are released after a while.

Although I think the avatar theory is pretty neat, I really like your idea as well, and I think it's actually more in line with my own headcanon. I've always liked to take the legendaries' Pokedex entries at face value, imagining that they literally created the world.

The games are kind of "frozen in time", and you never get to find out what happens a year or two down the line (except in GSC, HGSS and B2W2, which were sequels). I think it's quite plausible that a young trainer with a one-of-a-kind legendary would eventually decide to release that Pokemon for one reason or another, just like N did in B2W2. If I befriended, say, a Dialga in real life, I wouldn't want to keep it from its time-ruling duties forever.

Something interesting I discovered today is that Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are the only "sub-legendaries" from Gens 1-6 not to be used by a Frontier Brain or Battle Chatelaine, and the only ones from Gens 1-4 not to appear in the Battle Factory, which seems to support the idea that they're one-of-a-kind Pokemon created by Arceus.

Edit: Whoops, I just realized the Lake Guardians are in Hall Matron Argenta's list of possible Pokemon!

Last edited:
Something interesting I discovered today is that Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are the only "sub-legendaries" from Gens 1-6 not to be used by a Frontier Brain or Battle Chatelaine, and the only ones from Gens 1-4 not to appear in the Battle Factory, which seems to support the idea that they're one-of-a-kind Pokemon created by Arceus.

Although in Gen 7, they can be used by Trainers at the Battle Tree and Battle Royal Dome.

I have this headcanon that the in-game reason why you can get all those legendaries in the Dynamax adventures is because the ''wishing stars'' can pretty much ''wish'' a Pokemon into existence. A single Wishing star can ''will'' a simple mon into existing, thus creating a sort of paralel pocket-dimension (where you and other people battle it), but I like to think there's this huge influx of ''wishing star energy'' in the Den, causing said Legends to appear.

I mean, it is cannonical in the games of Gen 5 that Pokemon can materialize through dreams, can't they?

Although in Gen 7, they can be used by Trainers at the Battle Tree and Battle Royal Dome.

I just realized the Lake Guardians are actually in Hall Matron Argenta's extensive list of possible Pokemon, too. There goes my theory! :p

I have this headcanon that the in-game reason why you can get all those legendaries in the Dynamax adventures is because the ''wishing stars'' can pretty much ''wish'' a Pokemon into existence. A single Wishing star can ''will'' a simple mon into existing, thus creating a sort of paralel pocket-dimension (where you and other people battle it), but I like to think there's this huge influx of ''wishing star energy'' in the Den, causing said Legends to appear.

I mean, it is cannonical in the games of Gen 5 that Pokemon can materialize through dreams, can't they?

Cool idea! Molly Hale dreamed an Entei into existence as well. Granted, that Entei disappeared eventually, but the Pokemon from the Dream World seem to manifest in our world permanently.

Last edited:

This is a really cool idea, though I’m not sure it’s especially necessary since the implication in the games seems to be that the Legendaries are there because of Solgaleo/Lunala coming through. But at the same time, that’s never stated in explicit terms, so I suppose there’s nothing ruling out a different explanation.

Also, would it mean that Hop is going to at some point become the “greatest Trainer ever” since that’s what he wished for on a Wishing Star?

I just realized the Lake Guardians are actually in Hall Matron Argenta's extensive list of possible Pokemon, too. There goes my theory! :p

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting an instance! I had wondered about the use of the Lake Guardians in Battle facilities at some point before and went looking into it. I wonder why Gens 5 and 6 left th

but the Pokemon from the Dream World seem to manifest in our world permanently.

It’s wild to me that this is a thing that has been studied, observed, and verified to occur in the Pokémon world. Dreams manifesting into reality, and moreover, our being able to control the process, would be a singularity-tier event.

So like, the reason why Mewtwo is #150 and Mew is #151 is because the PokéDex was organised by Professor Oak and he hastily programmed the pair in at the end of the Dex as soon as Red discovers and records them. But because he gets real mad at people fiddling with his work, no other Professor dares swap the pair around out of fear of Oak's ire.

So sayeth my headcanon.

So like, the reason why Mewtwo is #150 and Mew is #151 is because the PokéDex was organised by Professor Oak and he hastily programmed the pair in at the end of the Dex as soon as Red discovers and records them. But because he gets real mad at people fiddling with his work, no other Professor dares swap the pair around out of fear of Oak's ire.

So sayeth my headcanon.
I mean, he is the one who created the thing in the first place, so it makes sense.

and LGPE did change the dialogue to imply he didn't create it.

He still refers to it as "the Pokédex that I've designed" to the player and Trace. The change LGPE makes is in saying that the Pokédex didn't exist during Red and Blue's travels and that they had to rely on pencil and paper, and when Blue sees yours, he says "So Gramps finally went and made one!"

But like Greninjaman says, LGPE is blatantly a parallel world with a different history, so it probably doesn't have any real bearing. (But of course, the fact that the series supports a multiverse kinda makes all claims true within their own worlds. Oak could easily be the inventor in the universe of Red or Green or Yellow, while it could be an even older idea in the universe of Diamond.)

Here's a Headcanon that I just blatantly stole from the Fanon Pokedex: The National Dex is also referred to as the Oak Catalogue as it follows Professor Oak's numbering system.

You know, I kind of like the idea that there might be different Pokédex numbering sequences, sort of like the US customary and metric systems of measurement. Or perhaps like the APA, MLA, Chicago, etc. citation styles, where it depends on the precise field of study.

Edit: It occurs to me that this is sort of already canonical, in the context of regional Pokédexes. But I could see there being differing viewpoints about how the National Pokédex should be arranged, as well. Like maybe some professors are more in favor of a "chronological" listing that sorts the Pokémon in order of what era they are thought to have originated from. (So like, Arceus might be #001, the fossil mons and Relicanth would come before Claydol and Mamoswine, which would themselves be listed waaaaaaay before manmade species like Porygon and Castform, and I think this would make Silvally the current #898? (Nice bookend with Arceus.) Well, Silvally or one of the Galarian fossil hybrids, I suppose.)

Last edited:
After the events of Sw/Sh, the Bike Lady on the Isle of Armour finally saved up enough money to start up an annual cycling race on the island known as the "Armour TT" whereby competitors race around a set track in a time trial format to see who is the greatest cyclist. Honey encouraged the idea since she thought it would bring more people to the island where they can train at the Dojo in preparation for the race. Despite the incredible difficulty of the track, it proved a hit and now athletes from around the world take part. :bulbaLove:

Lileep/Cradily, Anorith/Armaldo were Water/Grass and Water/Bug before they went extinct, resulting in them becoming Rock types when they were revived from Fossils, losing their primary typings

Anorith Dex entry

SwordThis Pokémon was restored from a fossil. Anorith lived in the ocean about 100,000,000 years ago, hunting with its pair of claws.
ShieldAnorith can swim swiftly by pulling its eight wings through the water like oars on a boat. This Pokémon is an ancestor of modern bug Pokémon.

Lileep Dex entry

SwordThis Pokémon was restored from a fossil. Lileep once lived in warm seas that existed approximately 100,000,000 years ago.
ShieldLileep clings to rocks on the seabed. When prey comes close, this Pokémon entangles it with petallike tentacles.

Alternatively, Omanyte and Kabuto lost their bug typing upon being revived as a fossils

Alternatively, Omanyte and Kabuto lost their bug typing upon being revived as a fossils

Are you certain you didn't mean "additionally"? I don'tsee Kanto fossels getting retyed compared to their original era and the same happening to Hoenn's as mutrually exclsuive. In fact I'd think the same could be said for the rest of the Fossils (though Galar's is a different case)

Back
Top Bottom