• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

While the Battle Frontier facilities can be challenged in any order, my personal headcanon is that, in Generation III at least, the Battle Factory is the first one (it was the first facility challenged in the anime and the Adventures manga, and it's the one I've always challenged first) and the Battle Tower is the last one. In Generation III, I'd also consider the Battle Pyramid the second-to-last facility due to how imposing Brandon is in the anime.

I've got two headcanons regarding TMs:
  • The TMs in the console games are manufactured in the CD-ROM format to follow standards that were created with the intent of preventing Trainers from hacking signature moves such as Pika Papow, Dragon Ascent, and Spacial Rend into the TMs.
  • There's a market for fake TMs (i.e. CD-RWs that're sold as "TMs" but can be blanked by their users to have them teach moves that legitimate TMs - the TMs you see in the console games that, as my headcanon above infers, are manufactured as CD-ROMs - wouldn't teach to a Pokemon) that're sold by the Pokemon world's villainous teams.

There's a market for fake TMs (i.e. CD-RWs that're sold as "TMs" but can be blanked by their users to have them teach moves that legitimate TMs - the TMs you see in the console games that, as my headcanon above infers, are manufactured as CD-ROMs - wouldn't teach to a Pokemon) that're sold by the Pokemon world's villainous teams.
So is that how people get their hands on Pokemon with hacked in moves?

I've got two headcanons regarding TMs:
  • The TMs in the console games are manufactured in the CD-ROM format to follow standards that were created with the intent of preventing Trainers from hacking signature moves such as Pika Papow, Dragon Ascent, and Spacial Rend into the TMs.
  • There's a market for fake TMs (i.e. CD-RWs that're sold as "TMs" but can be blanked by their users to have them teach moves that legitimate TMs - the TMs you see in the console games that, as my headcanon above infers, are manufactured as CD-ROMs - wouldn't teach to a Pokemon) that're sold by the Pokemon world's villainous teams.

I like this a lot, although it does re-raise the question of how exactly TMs work in terms of actually teaching the new move. Ever since they established the CD-like appearance, my headcanon has been that they're basically like instructional videos that you have your Pokémon watch and learn from. Though now that would lead me to wonder about TRs... TMs you could compare to DVDs for the "instructional video" comparison, but while it is possible to store video information on a vinyl record, there's... really no benefit to doing so, since quality of the transmitted result is complete rubbish. I suppose you could say that the instructions for performing the move are simply read aloud as the Pokémon listens to them, but I feel like it would be a lot harder for Pokémon to learn that way, as there would be much more room for misinterpretation. Or maybe instead of a human reading out step-by-step instructions, TRs contain recordings of Pokémon using specific moves in the wild or in lab settings, and the Pokémon trying to learn the move does so by listening for specific audio cues to get an idea of what the Pokémon are doing?

Anyway, extending out of your idea, perhaps you could even say that the advent of reusable TMs in Gen 5 represents an advancement in the technology - before then, TM production companies had difficulty in making the discs long-lasting. (And we can handwave ORAS away here by pointing toward the technological improvements that already exist in that universe compared to the original RSE.)

The Pokemon Center themes and Poke Mart themes are actually being played through speakers, like music in a grocery store. Sometimes they do double duty as elevator music (the Pokemon Center theme more than the Poke Mart theme as it's more soothing).

I've kinda always thought this too, though for the sake of the employees' sanity, I would hope that they rotate the tracks a little bit (and we just never happen to be around for that).

On a similar note, I definitely think that all of the music that plays in the stadiums in Galar is audible in-universe, hence the crowd chanting along to the rhythms.

Anyway, extending out of your idea, perhaps you could even say that the advent of reusable TMs in Gen 5 represents an advancement in the technology - before then, TM production companies had difficulty in making the discs long-lasting. (And we can handwave ORAS away here by pointing toward the technological improvements that already exist in that universe compared to the original RSE.)
What if TRs are just old TMs before they were reusable that have been given a different name for distinguishment (yes, I know that's not a word, sue me).

On an unrelated note, I have been considering making a video series where I look at the headcanons in this thread and give my opinions on them but I didn't want to do it without checking in to see who would and would not be okay with that. It won't be anything overly in depth or critical like "headcanon doesn't work because of complex technical junk" cause I don't understand any of that stuff more of a "I like this headcanon because of X" or "I don't like this headcanon because of Y but I can see why somebody would think it." I figure I'd probably do a page or two per-episode.

The reason why you can't register Pokémon you see in battle facilities in your Pokédex is because you're forced to close your Pokédex while inside them, perhaps to not interfere with the facility's sensitive equipment.

Cool idea! Maybe it's so you can't use your Pokedex to cheat by looking up strategies, type match-up charts, or information about your opponent's Pokemon. A bit like how you can't take your mobile phone into an exam.

Though now that would lead me to wonder about TRs...
Speaking of TRs, I've got a headcanon about them: that they're manufactured as CD-RWs (meaning they're rewritable), and due to the fact that they're single-use items, the user manuals that come with TRs state that they must be fully blanked by their users after using them once and then sent back to their manufacturers to be rewritten.
So is that how people get their hands on Pokemon with hacked in moves?
I'd say yes in the case of Lance and his Dragonite...

Not sure if I've done this one already but: Gloria and Victor are pen pals with Serena and Calem respectively.

Also, Lance didn't evolve his dragonites early on purpose. He just happened to be training in the area when Team Rocket set off their weirdo radio waves and that's what made him realized something weird was going on and caused him to investigate the sitch.

Evolution levels are actually not the 'standard' guideline for evolution but the one that is set for the protagonist for a Pokémon to evolve. This explains why Pokémon like Larvesta, Zweilous and other Pokémon that evolve late have such high level requirements: because that is how long it takes the protagonist with their experience. and knowledge with and about the species.

This also explains stuff like Lance's Dragonite. He's more experienced and his specialization in Dragon-types allows him to be more knowledgeable on how to reach the peak potential of the species as soon as possible, resulting in an evolution that's earlier than is common.

A popular theory claims that Fantina is from Kalos since she speaks French in the English games. However, she speaks English in all the other games and is found in neither Kalos nor Galar. My headcanon is that she's actually from the Pokemon world's equivalent to the Caribbean, probably Martinique and that she is Creole, speaking a mix of both English and French.
She could also be Canadian.

If she's Quebecian I don't see why they would need to play up her foreignness when she would be just white. As far as I'm aware, Quebec French is just a variation of French and it is not intrinsically mixed with English the same way the creole languages are.
White people can be foreign, though. Foreign just means they’re from a different country than the one they reside.

On an unrelated note, I have been considering making a video series where I look at the headcanons in this thread and give my opinions on them but I didn't want to do it without checking in to see who would and would not be okay with that. It won't be anything overly in depth or critical like "headcanon doesn't work because of complex technical junk" cause I don't understand any of that stuff more of a "I like this headcanon because of X" or "I don't like this headcanon because of Y but I can see why somebody would think it." I figure I'd probably do a page or two per-episode.
I volunteer for allowing you to review my headcanons.

Meant to reply to this earlier, but better late than never. I'd happily volunteer.

Clothing like that is pretty normal. I own shirts that are my size that don't fully cover the length of my arms.

Back
Top Bottom