• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

The Sword and Shield protagonists don’t know what size they wear, and that’s why their sleeves don’t full cover their arms.

Seriously, though, that just triggers me for some reason when I see this in the games.
I noticed the other day, and I can't say for certain it's the same on the girl's model, but one sleeve is always shorter than the other so that the bracelet is visible. It's so ugly.

I've got some more game headcanons this time:
  1. There was a global war in the Pokemon world that began 50 years before the events of RBY/FRLG/LGPE and ended 5 years later; 70,000,000 soldiers (including Lt. Surge) fought in that war. I'd say that this headcanon serves as an explanation for why Lt. Surge says stuff like "Electric Pokemon saved me during the war" and "I'll zap you just like I did my enemies in war" in RBY/FRLG (and again in GSC).
  2. Whenever Giratina senses a dimensional rift, it dissolves itself into black sludge - this is why Giratina appears as a shadow in front of Cyrus during the Spear Pillar scene in Platinum.

I've got some more game headcanons this time:
  1. There was a global war in the Pokemon world that began 50 years before the events of RBY/FRLG/LGPE and ended 5 years later; 70,000,000 soldiers (including Lt. Surge) fought in that war. I'd say that this headcanon serves as an explanation for why Lt. Surge says stuff like "Electric Pokemon saved me during the war" and "I'll zap you just like I did my enemies in war" in RBY/FRLG (and again in GSC).
Interesting. However, wouldn't that make Lt Surge at least 63 years old when we first meet him?
  1. Whenever Giratina senses a dimensional rift, it dissolves itself into black sludge - this is why Giratina appears as a shadow in front of Cyrus during the Spear Pillar scene in Platinum.
That's really cool, as antimatter is sometimes shown in media as a black liquid.

My dad came up with a really silly and dumb one the other day while we were watching an episode of the SM anime.

Not only are all Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys clones/Pokemon they're also all couples.

His words, not mine/

One of my favorite headcanons for XY is that Xerneas created the Winding Woods.

"The Pokémon known as Xerneas used its shining horns to illuminate the lands of Kalos. At that very moment, people and Pokémon throughout the land felt great energy and vitality surge through their bodies. At the same time, a vast forest sprang up, with Xerneas at its center..."

There are only two forests in Kalos as we know it, and the Kalos Dex positions Xerneas in the Mountain Region (despite it being met and caught in the Coastal Region). I guess they're both in the southernmost part of the map anyway, so you could imagine it coming from either one? But I fancy the thought of a Pokemon like Xerneas hiding away in this bewildering forest of twists and turns designed to confuse visitors. It's also a-lot more vibrant and full of life than Santalune, with different flowers, bigger trees, and the Pokemon Village attached to it as a "sanctuary" space for the injured.

The Let's Go games, while core series games, take place in a different timeline than the Mega Evolution games or the original timeline games. That's because Red canonically defeated Team Rocket both of the first two timelines, which doesn't happen in the Let's Go games.

The Let's Go games, while core series games, take place in a different timeline than the Mega Evolution games or the original timeline games. That's because Red canonically defeated Team Rocket both of the first two timelines, which doesn't happen in the Let's Go games.
There's also the fact that Red and Blue (and Green/Leaf) apparently started their journey earlier.

There's also the fact that Red and Blue (and Green/Leaf) apparently started their journey earlier.
Yup. Exactly why he couldn't defeat Team Rocket, because they didn't start doing big things until afterwards. Also, the Pokémon League worked differently back then, with the Champion not yet being part of the challenge.

Isn't that canon?

Yeah, there's really no other way to interpret it (unless you like goofy crackpot fan theories like mine). While Game Freak aren't exactly the types to specifically say "x is canonical," the very nature of LGPE paint a pretty clear picture. They're not trying to stitch themselves into the existing chronology - they're an alternative.

Typically, a headcanon is something that one (often playfully) asserts to be part of their notion of the narrative without a substantial amount of supporting evidence.

Last edited:
  1. Whenever Giratina senses a dimensional rift, it dissolves itself into black sludge - this is why Giratina appears as a shadow in front of Cyrus during the Spear Pillar scene in Platinum.
1612574124557.png

While I see a lot of people theorize that the Legendary Beasts were Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon; I have a different theory. I think the Legendary Beasts were Pokemon that were once common (or maybe rare) at the time and that Burned Tower was their home, when the tower burned and Ho-Oh reincarnated the three into the Legendary Beasts, they remained much the same but were given modifications to their bodies so they could survive and help those in need across the planet. They started as mythical and over time as more and more of them were born across the Pokémon world, they became known as Legendary for how elusive yet kind they were.

Back
Top Bottom