• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

The Sword and Shield protagonists don’t know what size they wear, and that’s why their sleeves don’t full cover their arms.

Seriously, though, that just triggers me for some reason when I see this in the games.

I noticed this too. I think it's so that the sleeves don't get in the way of the Dynamax band and badge bracelet. Looking at Victor and Gloria's default outfits, it appears as if Victor has rolled his sleeves up, and Gloria has pulled hers up (which makes them bunch out a bit at the ends). But with the custom outfits, the sleeves just stop too high up, and it does look a bit weird.

While I see a lot of people theorize that the Legendary Beasts were Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon; I have a different theory. I think the Legendary Beasts were Pokemon that were once common (or maybe rare) at the time and that Burned Tower was their home, when the tower burned and Ho-Oh reincarnated the three into the Legendary Beasts, they remained much the same but were given modifications to their bodies so they could survive and help those in need across the planet. They started as mythical and over time as more and more of them were born across the Pokémon world, they became known as Legendary for how elusive yet kind they were.

Since learning about the beta versions of Entei, Raikou and Suicune I like the (I think fairly common) headcannon that the betas are the original Pokémon that died in the fire.

(For context:

View: https://twitter.com/drlavayt/status/1205450295091724288?s=21

View: https://twitter.com/drlavayt/status/1205111898191958016?s=21

View: https://twitter.com/drlavayt/status/1266732955444973568?s=21

)

The amount of trainer prodigies (The main characters, their rivals, Champions of the region) is somewhat of a meta joke in universe. People always say such prodigies pass by once a decade or so but then someone who dugs into the history books of recent times from the regions go "But how does this explain these other 7 child prodigies that are running rampant..."

Kabu is a relative of Flannery's (an uncle perhaps?). We know that Flannery has a grandfather who was an Elite 4 member who was probably a Fire type (this is confirmed in the anime, but ambiguous in other media), so there's probably a pedigree of several Fire type trainers in Flannery's family. I'm kind of surprised that Kabu never really referenced her in SwSh, considering she's also a notable Fire type trainer from Hoenn.

Before they got captured by Team Flare, Xerneas and Yveltal's places of residence were the Winding Woods (Route 20) and Chamber of Emptiness (Route 22) respectively.

Despite Zygarde in Kalos being said to take action when the ecosystem takes a nosedive, it cannot transform into the 100% form because half of its cells ended up in Alola. This also makes it not want to transform into the 10% form since that form is even weaker in power. The Zygarde in Alola can transform since not only is it more powerful than the Zygarde in Kalos, it's also the remaining cells. More specifically, the part that can combine itself with the Zygarde in Kalos no matter the distance. The version of Zygarde in Alola in this headcanon is the one from the Ultra versions of Sun and Moon.

Before they got captured by Team Flare, Xerneas and Yveltal's places of residence were the Winding Woods (Route 20) and Chamber of Emptiness (Route 22) respectively.

Isn't Yveltal said to live in the mountains?

I kinda like the idea that it lives on the cliffs around Route 13. Much like @~ Blazing White Yang's idea that Xerneas is responsible for the Winding Woods, perhaps the reason why Route 13 is just a big, parched wasteland smack in between of places that... aren't that, is because Yveltal once drained the life from everything in that vicinity. Plus, Yveltal is partially based on a vulture, which seems appropriate for that sort of arid biome.

Isn't Yveltal said to live in the mountains?

I kinda like the idea that it lives on the cliffs around Route 13. Much like @~ Blazing White Yang's idea that Xerneas is responsible for the Winding Woods, perhaps the reason why Route 13 is just a big, parched wasteland smack in between of places that... aren't that, is because Yveltal once drained the life from everything in that vicinity. Plus, Yveltal is partially based on a vulture, which seems appropriate for that sort of arid biome.

Ah, shit. Didn't catch that.

I had Route 13 in mind first but I always had the headcanon of Volcanion residing in the Power Plant so I didn't really want to have 2 legendaries in such close proximity of each other.

You win this time, Esserise.

Ah, shit. Didn't catch that.

I had Route 13 in mind first but I always had the headcanon of Volcanion residing in the Power Plant so I didn't really want to have 2 legendaries in such close proximity of each other.

You win this time, Esserise.

Strictly speaking, I would say that Volcanion is probably more associated with the southern reaches of Kalos, where it's worshiped, but of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to stay there or that it makes its home there. Indeed, ORAS revealed that either there are several Volcanion specimens out there, or Volcanion likes to travel a lot. so idk lol. I do know I'm pretty skeptical of the usual fandom suspicion that the power plants would have had anything to do with Volcanion in a hypothetical Z game - I think in such a scenario we would have indeed been able to access them unlike in XY (but to what end, I'm not sure), but at the same time, Volcanion would have just been downloaded and distributed to us directly, as was typical by then, with its lore being similar to what was explained to us in ORAS.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, I would say that Volcanion is probably more associated with the southern reaches of Kalos, where it's worshiped, but of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to stay there or that it makes its home there. Indeed, ORAS revealed that either there are several Volcanion specimens out there, or Volcanion likes to travel a lot. so idk lol. I do know I'm pretty skeptical of the usual fandom suspicion that the power plants would have had anything to do with Volcanion in a hypothetical Z game - I think in such a scenario we would have indeed been able to access them unlike in XY (but to what end, I'm not sure), but at the same time, Volcanion would have just been downloaded and distributed to us directly, as was typical by then, with its lore being similar to what was explained to us in ORAS.

Just because Volcanion might not have been caught in the Power Plants doesn't mean it couldn't have had anything to do with them. My theory was that Volcanion might have had a form change mechanic in the Power Plants (maybe different forms based on different sources of power?) and you could take it there to change forms once it was distributed. A lot of mythicals have form changes and at the time the last one in the generation had multiple of them (see: Deoxys, Arceus, Genesect) so it is a bit strange that Volcanion had nothing. That seems to have been another casualty of the decision to skip Z for SM.

Just because Volcanion might not have been caught in the Power Plants doesn't mean it couldn't have had anything to do with them. My theory was that Volcanion might have had a form change mechanic in the Power Plants (maybe different forms based on different sources of power?) and you could take it there to change forms once it was distributed. A lot of mythicals have form changes and at the time the last one in the generation had multiple of them (see: Deoxys, Arceus, Genesect) so it is a bit strange that Volcanion had nothing. That seems to have been another casualty of the decision to skip Z for SM.

If there were going to be forms, there'd be forms. They wouldn't cut out a massive part of the Pokémon's character profile and in-battle functionality just because a cheap game got nixed - look at Zygarde. They made sure to shoehorn 10% and Complete into SM even when it didn't make sense. They could have easily come up with an ad hoc solution for Volcanion in ORAS and/or SM if there was supposed to be anything more to it.

Volcanion's whole concept is purely steam-based (to make the Fire/Water typing work), not various-forms-of-energy-based. And none of the Gen 7 Mythicals got interesting form mechanics, so it's not as if Mythicals must have them. The Fire/Water type already makes Volcanion unique.

If there were going to be forms, there'd be forms. They wouldn't cut out a massive part of the Pokémon's character profile and in-battle functionality just because a cheap game got nixed - look at Zygarde. They made sure to shoehorn 10% and Complete into SM even when it didn't make sense. They could have easily come up with an ad hoc solution for Volcanion in ORAS and/or SM if there was supposed to be anything more to it.

Counterpoint: Eternal Flower Floette was never distributed. So clearly not everything they had planned got shoehorned into SM. Perhaps Volcanion was planned later and never completed or what, we don't know.

And none of the Gen 7 Mythicals got interesting form mechanics, so it's not as if Mythicals must have them.

Whether or not they're interesting is subjective. There were some form changes of previous mythicals I didn't think were interesting (Resolute Form Keldeo is a good example, it looks cool but it's entirely aesthetic. Isn't it about time they gave it a signature move or stat boost or something?). But there are a lot of mythicals that have form changes, even more recent ones (Magearna, Marshadow, Zarude). So it's not out of the question to think Volcanion might have had one planned for a Z version.

Back
Top Bottom