• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

That the Mews were created by the Lake Trio. They look similar, and it would make sense why mew is "the first pokemon". it could have just been the first species that went nearly exticnt, or evolved into all other species

In the wild, it's actually possible for offspring of different species parents to sometimes be born as the same species as the father rather than always matching the mother, it's just that captivity alters Pokemon reproductive physiology in such a way that fathers are unable to "pass down" their species onto offspring. This "altering of reproductive physiology" is also what causes human-raised Nidorina and Nidoqueen to be unable to breed while wild ones can have babies no problem (by the way, this actually is true for certain species of animals; one of the issues conservation efforts sometimes face is that there's a number of endangered species that have difficulty conceiving in captivity, meaning few to no new babies are born and the species has trouble repopulating).

Yes, I know this theory is probably extremely weird and a lot of you might disagree vehemently, but I have always wondered how exactly male-only species of Pokemon that don't have female counterparts are able to sustain a population, since I don't think that having to exclusively rely on Ditto for that is reliable enough, and the above explanation was what made the most sense to me.
I have similar but somewhat different headcanons regarding Pokémon reproduction:
  • Pokémon Eggs aren't the primary method for reproduction of the Pokémon, which actually matches their animal counterparts. The "eggs" we see are actually made though an alchemy-based process as a last-ditch attempt to save their genetic legacy when in danger; it is also the onlyway for captured Pokémon to reproduce. In addition, having humans witness this process is actually fatal to them, and the Pokémon are trying to avoid accidentally killing humans. Both of these factors are why no one really knows what the deal with Pokémon eggs really is.
    • Nidorina and Nidoqueen are so repulsed by what can happen to humans witnessing the alchemic Pokémon Egg process that they refuse to lay Pokémon Eggs for any reason. Nidoran are too young to realize this, so they still produce Pokémon Eggs.
  • Some of the male-only and female-only species aren't actually single-gendered. It's just that specimens of the opposite sex like male Kangaskhan and female Braviary are too fragile for battle and are thus illegal to capture and train.
  • Other specimens of single-gendered Pokémon either a) have an undiscovered opposite-gendered counterpart species or b) normally undergo asexual reproduction with the exception of Pokémon Eggs.
    • The latter condition of asexual reproduction applies to genderless Pokémon that can still breed with Ditto, as well as Ditto itself.
  • While baby Pokémon are unable to reproduce, most Legendary & Mythical Pokémon find the alchemy-based Pokémon Reproduction method beneath them, thus will never lay eggs. The exceptions to this rule include:
    • Phione of whom will only take Ditto as their partner
    • Manaphy: A genetically superior version of Phione resulting from an altered Pokémon Egg-making process that only the strongest of Phione are able to create. They share Phone's quirk of only mating with Ditto and refuse to spawn more Manaphy.
    • Arceus, whom has an entirely different method of producing Pokémon Eggs that's non-lethal to humans.

Tauros and Miltank are just differently named Pokemon which in actuality, are just the same Pokemon in genetics. Also, their shared calf pre-evolution exists, but what it evolves into depends on whether the calf is male or female.

That reminds me, I had this headcanon that other gender counterparts are biologically the same species, but are given different PokéDex numbers for the purpose of the league because they perform differently in battle... Though that doesn't explain Meowstic and Indeedee.

So I had this theory for a while now that connects hgss and oras. If every primary version lines up with one another regardless of timeline (which USUM supports with cyrus always having Dilaga in US and Palkia in UM) then Hg corresponds with OR in every timeline. In omega ruby you can not catch kyogre, nor does team aqua ever come close to finding it, this is also true of the opposite versions of course.

So where are they? The logical answer is the embedded tower depending on your version. But how does Mr.pokemon have the red/blue orb when they are on mr pyre during the events of oras? We know hgss takes place 3 years after the events of rse/oras, Steven doesn't refer to himself has the current champion of hoenn, meaning wallace is (which he implies he will do at the end of the delta episode and lines up with emerald and bw2 having both as hoenn champions) plenty of time for someone (maybe even Steven) to bring the orbs to Mr.pokemon or professor oak (he gives you the jade orb right?) Who then gives it to Mr.pokemon.

Only holes are lack of primal forms (obviously did not exist yet) which if thats a plot hole so is me hitting Cynthia togekiss with dragon claw. And the jade orb...yeah that does make little sense since its never mentioned again, maybe it can be a new discovery in the years between oras and hgss.

Only one that comes to mind is that for snake Pokémon, Wrap (and the similar moves Constrict and Bind) don't really count as 'learnable' moves, those moves being something they're already physically capable of.

Now that I feel like using headcanons to explain some more of the stuff that isn't canonically explained in-universe, here are those that I came up with:
  • In Alola, there're laws and regulations regarding Pokedexes that prohibit their region's Pokedex makers from adding space for an upgrade with the National Dex to their products' source code, and the average Trainer can't (both legally and practically) make Dex pages for Pokemon not in the Alola Dex display Pokedex numbers on a Pokedex made for the Alola region without jailbreaking it first and then flashing stolen firmware made for foreign Pokedexes with space for a National Dex upgrade in their source code into it (as such firmware tends to allow for the display of Pokemon outside the respective regions' Pokedexes). (Honestly, I feel like this should explain the in-universe reason for the National Dex's absence in the Alola-based core series games.)
    • Similar laws and regulations exist in the Galar region, but in this case, not only do they prohibit their region's Pokedex makers and Trainers alike from adding space for a National Dex upgrade to their Pokedexes' source code - they also have a list of Pokemon that can be imported into the Galar region (which allows Trainers - foreign or Galarian - to bring in Pokemon in the base Galar Dex and the IoA and Crown Tundra expansions to it, as well as a select few Pokemon outside of that, into the region itself).
  • Mohn ended up on Poke Pelago some time after he was sucked into an Ultra Wormhole before the events of the Alola-based games when Solgaleo teleported an unconscious him to a group of uninhabited islands.

Dragon training is an area filled to the brim with elitism, having been exclusive to wealthy noble houses such as the Blackthorn Clan and the Draconids until recent history. There is still a big conservative movement from said elites against “amateurs” specializing in the dragon type, but Iris and Raihan’s positive reputations greatly help in shifting this prejudice.

Back
Top Bottom