• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

After having the word Pokemon beaten into me via the anime's themes I think I'll pass (I mean, it's one thing if it makes sense within the context of the song but most songs just tack the word Pokemon on the end for no reason).
The Japanese openings are all bangers, and the only ones I can think of that say "Pokémon" are "Mesaze Pokémon Master" and the full version of "Challenger!!"

Anyway, Xion reminded me of a silly idea I had that Pokémon from different places say their names in the local language.

Ah yes he may be good, but something that Roxie has over him is an actual voice
I prefer Roxie too. I just wish she (but by default Gym Leaders in general) were used more. I feel Piers also lifts a lot off of being the first Dark-type Gym Leader (Which doesn't have to be a bad thing as it's a reason people may like him so much, but still).

Kyogre, Groudon, Kyurem, Yveltal, Necrozma, and Eternatus all once allied with Giratina and Volo to help them try to overthrow Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia in order to destroy the entire Pokemon universe, and have all humans and Pokemon exterminated in the process, while aside from Dialga and Palkia, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Zekrom, Xerneas, Zygarde, Solgaleo, Lunala, Zacian, and Zamazenta all once ended up siding with Arceus to help counter against Giratina and Volo's own army of Legendary Pokemon.

Pokemon with clothing-like body parts actually have the ability to regrow new clothing should their old clothing be severely damaged, with their damaged clothing being shed off and being turned into human clothing (ie. "dresses" worn by Pokemon like Gardevoir and Delphox being turned into actual dressed for human women).

Last edited:
Piers has mild ADHD, as indicated by the consistent tapping of his right leg during battle. Yes, I realize he could just be tapping to the best of the music.

Piers is at the very least Asexual. Why, you aren't asking? Well, just look at him. I get it matches the dark type theme but no straight person has ever worn that much black, white, gray, and purple.

Also, Arceus and Palutena hang out sometimes.

One of my newer game headcanons is that any rival who has winnable matches (as in if you lose to them the game just continues on without forcing you to beat them) then they won those matches (or at least some of them in the cases of Blue, Silver and Hop who have multiple potential wins)

So Blue, Silver, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Shauna, Trace and Hop all have canonically beaten the protagonists at least once in the journeys

Ooh, that makes it hurt more if the battle Hop won was the first one. He actually thought he had a leg up on you and then gets super knocked down.

Some ideas I've thought out in other threads.

Pokemon & breeding
  • Pokemon have special "auras" (you can give it a different name if you think it can be confused with Lucario's aura) that determine their type. These auras is what makes STAB work and what gives Pokemon resistances, weaknesses and immunities.
  • Moves transform the Pokemon aura into tangible energy and matter, so they don't have aura themselves. Therefore, if a Dragon-type move clashes with a Fairy-type move they won't cancel each other, that's why two Pokemon can't attack at the same time.
  • Breeding happens differently as how most animals in real life do it. What Pokemon do is to combine their auras which materializes in an egg, no physical contact is involved.
  • Incenses can add a certain smell to the environment that modifies the auras and creates a new egg.
  • Breeding is more of a survival instinct. While a few Pokemon form families, packs and parent-child bonds, most of them just lay the eggs and say goodbye forever to their partner and child. The egg has to survive on its own.
  • Pokemon species who can only be of one gender and don't have a clear cut counterpart (Hitmons, Kangaskhan, Lilligant, etc.) can breed with other members of their same species, but they chose to not to in presence of humans. Hatterene/Grimmsnarl don't count as "clear cut counterparts" and neither do Braviary/Mandibuzz, simply because the latter isn't available in Hisui yet Braviary exists there.
  • Manaphy can breed with other Manaphy and Pokemon belonging to the Water 1 and Fairy egg groups, but only in spaces without humans. Those combinations will always produce Phione, but Manaphy itself can't breed with Phione.
  • Pokémon can't experience romantic love, what attract causes is an admiration for cuteness that makes the Pokemon afraid to hurt its rival.
  • Most Pokemon have strong moral codes and won't act blindly on their trainer's orders. Evil Pokemon do exist, though, and villains have to actively look up for them.
  • Magearna, Marshadow, Zeraora and Zarude's existence hasn't been verified and are just rumors. What the player receives are very elaborate holographicsimulations about how they would work if they existed.
Worldbuilding
  • The Pokemon League gyms & competitions are managed by Mega Corps, just like in Galar. They keep their business running by also producing the items necessary for the adventure.
  • Gym leaders, Elite Four members and Champions are paid for their job. In the case of the first two, they can be penalized if they leave their gym for a couple of hours or more, that's why they rarely participate if the region is in crisis. The reason the Champion can get away with getting out is because they receive very few challenges per year.
  • Going to other regions to compete in their respective badge quests/leagues is an uncommon thing to do, because of language barriers, repetitive feel and fear of losing your status. It's the equivalent of pursuing two careers in real life. However, there's a notable exception in Galar which receives people from all over the world who want to try Dynamax.
  • The Island Challenge only admitted Alolan natives until 5 years ago, it was one of the most secluded and unknown "badge quests" in the world until then.

The Foongus line's primary prey is actually human beings, since they're stated to use the pokeball-like patterns in their caps to lure in prey, and humans are the only things that would be remotely interested in picking up Pokeballs off the ground (this is actually even subtly supported by gameplay, since Foonguss and Amoonguss play the treasure chest mimic role in the Unova games). Of course, since Foonguss and Amoonguss are mushrooms and therefore decomposers, they can still easily thrive in areas where humans are rare via scavenging.

Magearna, Marshadow, Zeraora and Zarude's existence hasn't been verified and are just rumors. What the player receives are very elaborate holographicsimulations about how they would work if they existed.
Is that your explanation for why you're given them directly through events instead of going out to catch them?

Arceus has zero alcohol tolerance. Viridi (who he also hangs out with sometimes) finds this hilarious and tries to get him drunk as often as possible.

Back
Top Bottom