• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Are Your Pokemon's Nicknames?

ShadOBabe

Fire Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you like to nickname your Pokemon? If so, what are their species and names? If not, why not?
I only JUST got into it. I liked to mimic the cartoon when I was a kid, and few people nickname their Pokemon in the show.

But yeah, I'm working on the names for all my Pokemon characters, and I've got most of the main characters named.

Main Characters:

Blaziken - Paladin
Ninetales - Seraphim
Arcanine - August
Rapidash - Cavalry
Chandelure - Hallow
Eevee (Flareon) - Moxie

Some Side Characters:

Dragonair - Reverie
Persian - Gypsum
Liepard - Lucre

What about your Pokemon?

Hope you don't mind that I'm replying to this about a year later, but I actually name all my Pokemon and always have. Because of that, I have a bit of a hard time keeping the names from overlapping xD Furthermore, as of late I've been rethinking names for my Pokemon in hopes of something more creative and breaking old habits, so stumbling on this thread is kind of ironic to me.

I love the names you listed for your pokemon, by the way, especially Seraphim for some reason. It's very creative and I like it very much :)

See, mine are never quite as lovely as those. But I suppose I can share a handful that aren't so bad:

Charizard - Pyro
Venusaur - Venus
Blastoise - Riptide
Scyther - Ronin
Nidoking/Queen - Ares/Athena
Ninetales - Kitsune (or Akuko if male)
Dragonite - Valkyrie

The things that I always name my Flareon and the last thing I named my Chandelure were Flare and Lumiere. I couldn't resist the reference, but they don't make for very creative names. I feel yours are a lot better.

Yours sound a lot more thought out and creative to be honest. Mainly, I use the first thing that pops into my head, or often mythology when I just...feel like it. I'd like to say that my names for legendaries are better than my normal ones, but they aren't, especially since the names I use are ones I've used ever since I started playing the game and naming them. It's almost like a little tradition.

I really like those too, but that could be because I really like names with 'y' in random places like Zephyr, Dravyn, and Pyrrhus for example. I just really like spellings that aren't really common :) Besides, the most important part of nicknaming your Pokemon is to make it something that you like that makes you think of them or connect with them or whatever. Whether its based on appearance, element, or whatever else, I don't think there is a such thing as a bad nickname, per se, because its a reflection of how the trainer sees/feels about the pokemon. For example, if my Charizard were to be shiny, I would name it Hades based upon it being a fire type and being dark in color as Hades is the Greek God of fire and the Underworld. I usually just name my Raichu Sparks, because electricity I guess, which is probably a somewhat common thing.

I usually just use the Japanese Romaji names for every Pokémon I catch, but I don't do it for that specific Pokémon. I sometimes use the Romaji names of their last evolutions on the first pre-evolution form. It really depends on which Romaji name of the species' evolution line I like the most.
(Fennekin = フォッコ/Fokko) => Delphox named "Fokko"
(Honedge = ヒトツキ/Hitotsuki) => Honedge named "Hitotsuki"

Or sometimes, I alter the names a bit, to match the way I like it. Probably a few letter-removals or some syllable-edits.
(Vivillon = ビビヨン/Viviyon) => Scatterbug named "Vivita" (now a Vivillon)
(Bagon = タツベイ/Tatsubay) => Bagon named "Tatsuba"

It depends on my opinions of each possible namings, really.

I've never really named Pokemon based on their Japanese names (Except when I couldn't think of a name for my Fearow), but I did use Japanese words/Phrases to name Pokemon in my Gold version. Like Usagi the Azumarill and Momoiro the shiny Spinarak. :)

I love how many different ways people name their Pokemon :) It just shows how differently each of us sees them and thinks, not to mention how much alike we are at the same time ^-^

I only started to give my Pokémon a nickname in XY. However, only my main teams get one.

Pokemon X:
1. Fairly Odd (Gardevoir)
2. Narootoo #1 (Greninja)
3. ElecBoogaloo (Heliolisk)
4. For Justice! (Aegislash)
5. F-117 (Mega Charizard X)
6. PAIN TRAIN (Scolipede)

Pokemon Y:
1. Narootoo #2 (Greninja)
2. My Fat Uncle (Diggersby)
3. Red Blazer (Hawlucha)
4. Firemane (Pyroar, male version)
5. Btch, Pls! (Florges)
6. Zekrom 2.0 (Mega Ampharos)

I only started to give my Pokémon a nickname in XY. However, only my main teams get one.

Pokemon X:
1. Fairly Odd (Gardevoir)
2. Narootoo #1 (Greninja)
3. ElecBoogaloo (Heliolisk)
4. For Justice! (Aegislash)
5. F-117 (Mega Charizard X)
6. PAIN TRAIN (Scolipede)

Pokemon Y:
1. Narootoo #2 (Greninja)
2. My Fat Uncle (Diggersby)
3. Red Blazer (Hawlucha)
4. Firemane (Pyroar, male version)
5. Btch, Pls! (Florges)
6. Zekrom 2.0 (Mega Ampharos)

I understood most of those jokes lol!

I replayed my Gen 5 games after playing Y so they currently are the only ones with nicknames.

White:
1. Serperior: Cromwell
2. Simipour: Caernarvon
3. Haxorus: Conqueror
4. Braviary: Churchill
5. Cobalion: Centurion
6. Zekrom: Crusader

White 2:
1. Emboar: Entwiklung
2. Magnezone: Krupp
3. Krookodile: Daimler
4. Swanna: Henschel
5. Druddigon: Mann
6. Virizion: Porsche

Those who guess the theme for the teams get an internet cookie.

i use the same nicknames every time. i have a running gag in X where i nickname a Bug type Galtea. i've had 3 Galteas so far, the original (a Ledian), the second (another Ledian) and a 3rd one (a Beedrill). same for Grass (Matsugoro) and Water (Kiyokichi or Sakuzo if it's a Gyarados).

These include my team, past team members and soon-to-be team members as well as some other stuff that was funny at the time.

Reuniclus - Dr Fetus
Mismagius - Mr Magius. He's confused.
Florges - MitziDelBra. This one's my favourite, as I powersaved this Florges to be male. Mitzi's the name of a drag queen in one of my favourite movies, so it just had to be done.
Tentacruel - Squidward. He's got the I hate life look.
Tangela - Mr Tickle
Cofagrigus - The Truth. The Truth used Curse, The Truth used Spite. It's all for presentation.
Umbreon - Moon Moon, based off this.
Porygon-Z - TROJAN.exe
Yveltal - BaconStrips.
Skarmory - Metal Gear.
Houndoom - Azazel.
Mewtwo - FREIZA!!
Escavalier - Sir Lancelot. I didn't name this one, but that name is what made me want it lel
Deino - Emosaur. He will never evolve. He will only be the blind Emosaur.
Whimsicott - Casca. Named after a female character from my favourite manga.

I always try and nickname the mons I use for battle after breeding for IVs and moves. So far, here's what I got:

Slowbro: Rob Ford
Mienshao: Chen
Azumarill: Jimmy
Shiny Zoroark: Mesmer
Garchomp: Jawz
Cofagrigus: Khemsyt
Ambipom: DoubleTap
Lilligant: Grace

Depends on the game. My current X team is all Welsh, previously in Black2 they were lesser-known deities, and in my replay of SS, they're all named after types of wine grapes.

X:
Gallade: Cleddyf
Sylveon: Rhubanau
Glaceon: Rhew
Lapras: Moroedd
Probopass: Haearn

Black2:
Gallade: Arminius
Togekiss: Eleos
Mamoswine: Nujalik
Tangrowth: Tupave
Aggron: Ogoun
Lucario: Enos

I'm still debating what to do for AS. Top contenders are List of planets in science fiction and List of colors.

Or List of traditional star names.

As a general rule, most of my Pokemon are stuck with Transformer nicknames, as that's one of my other fandoms. Some do get original names, such as my Golurk Riser, or names from anime, like my female Bisharp Lyuze.

On X:
Shurikroak the Greninja
Riser the Golurk
Lyuze the Bisharp
Hero the Sawk
Bumblebee the shiny Electivire
VectorPrym the shiny Palkia

That's only a few. I'm not sure what I may do for OmegaRuby, as I'm starting with Treecko. I'm thinking I may name him Jackshot but who knows?

Florges - MitziDelBra. This one's my favourite, as I powersaved this Florges to be male. Mitzi's the name of a drag queen in one of my favourite movies, so it just had to be done.
Hugo Weaving's character in 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'. I totally get why.

Well when I nickname my pokémon it's usually when I'm inspired. I'll list the ones I got in a trade too. That includes in game trades. I'll mark the ones I got in a trade.

Steelix (trade) - Thumper
Xerneas (trade) - XERN
Charizard - Blaze
Dragonite - Drago
Lilligant (trade) - Petulia
Chesnaught (trade) - Chester
Bisharp (trade) - Pierce
Moltres (trade) - Phoenix
Spinda - Dizzy
Farfetch'd (trade) - Quacklin'
Zorua - Shadow
Flaaffy - Hannah (bet you can't guess where I Got the idea for that)

My most valuable Pokemon I named is my precious Orpheus...my Jolteon :D I caught him as a wild Eevee in Black and White 2. I had heard that there were wild Eevees in Castelia and I couldn't wait to go and search for them. So, what happened...

I got trolled by Roxie's Evil Father (she is totally adopted in my headcanon) and was then forced to take part in a film at Pokestar Studios. When I finally found my Eevee, he took me 19 Pokeballs and knocked out all my Pokemon bar one. My last Pokémon (I think my Watchog) was almost dead when at last, the final ball clicked and I had my Eevee :D

I named him Orpheus cos I had to go through hell to get him xD (I know it should have been Eurydice but he was a boy; I couldn't give him a girl's name xD ).

I have a habit of naming every ABSOL i kept in previous games UTION.

This time around i'm going for Portent, but i've gotta find+catch him/her first. Looking for one w/ HA is a long process.

I nickname every single Pokemon I catch, but here's a few of my favorites:

Tyrunt- Jay-Z
Amaura- Fabulousaur
Meowstic (female)- Gurl
Weavile- Mah Weave
Ferrothorn- Phluphphee

I seem to always name my Staraptor and Mamoswine the same thing as well- Kanji and Mammoo.

In my original X file, I named some of the members of my team (brought them over to my new file; love the pogey bank!).

Strudel the Sylveon
Poptart the Crobat
Choux the Noivern
Macaroon the Ampharos
Currant the Drapion
And I named a Goomy I wanted to use "Nooch".

Leave it to the disordered eater to name her pogeys after food, lmfao like wow.

*Fun fact: Ever since Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red, I've raised and named a Crobat called Poptart :)

As I'm in a Nuzlocke run in White 2, I always nickname my Pokémon, even the genderless...unless they're legendaries.

Samurott (Billy)
Crobat (Lucy)
Leavanny (Angus)
Magneton (Mandy)
Liepard (Alexia)
Reuniclus (Dave)
Krookodile (Wendy)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom