• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your thoughts on Pokemon Shuffle?

Okay, so I lied about how I was never going to play this game. I downloaded it out of boredom, curiosity, and for some personal experience so I could bash the game with substantial accusations if I needed to.

The game itself is alright. Nothing about it is good or bad enough to really set me off. Gameplay functions like it's supposed to, the noises are pleasant, blah blah blah... the thing that irks me about this game is that (especially compared to the spin-offs of Gen IV) there's almost nothing to this game at all. Play level, clear level, wait for 2 hours to rinse and repeat. It brings absolutely nothing to the world of Pokemon; no new ways to see them, interact with them, or anything else. This game could be exactly the same if the got rid of the chibified heads.

Granted, that's the sort of game Shuffle is, and I was never expecting it to come anywhere close to or contribute as much as the other great spinoff series that have come before it. Still, it disappoints me that this is what the franchise is satisfied with, and it bothers me that this will probably produce more and more ames of this nature... and less games like PMD or Ranger.

^ This is exactly why I'm staying away from it. It's just a Candy Crush clone that'll encourage unoriginal, uninspired freemium games instead of something that's actually both fun and engaging story-wise. I'd only change my mind if there were some story behind it.

Genius Sonority's graphics are still in the N64 era. They should stick with puzzle games, where graphics are not a great issue and most is in 2D. It was a long time since I played a Pokemon puzzle game, so I'm happy with this one.

Shallow gameplay, first day playing it was literally tutorials the whole time, and for a puzzle game I'd prefer Pokemon Puzzle League or Pokemon Trozei considering they both have a bit more to offer. It's not even a good puzzle game as thinking about your play for more than five seconds prompts the game to tell you the best move.

It isn't actually telling you the best move, it's just telling you a move.

I do wish it could be turned off though, it's really distracting.

I hope they add more puzzles like #149 , which is a puzzle you have to actually think about more what you do.

I haven't been able to beat 150 yet...but I think I can soon since I'm getting a pretty big build up of coins.

I'd have to say I'm enjoying it. It's not that amazing, it doesn't add to the world, but it's a fun distraction between other games when I get bored. The microtransactions and heart limits irk me, but I deal. I didn't bother with any of the glitches, and I'm feeling that the Lucarionite competition was a little broken because of those.
I'm betting a lot of people (note, I'm not saying all) were able to progress to max level Xerneas, Mewtwo, etc and destroy Mega Luc, where as people like me that only play it when they can wind up in 75k-th place. Kinda felt like 20k winners of Lucarionite wasn't enough. If it had been extended to 40 or 50k, I would have worked a lot harder to progress and level, maybe even blow some cash on gems to get the stone. Here's hoping the stone gets released in a couple months to everyone.
Currently I'm stuck at Mega Gengar. Been going back to fight regular Gengar to try to catch him since I barely beat him before. Atm I'm still losing to Gengar more often than not, and I don't have a chance against the Mega Version. Looking forward to todays new update's additions. Already caught Keldeo.

Just looks like a time killer for 30 mins

Seems it'd be pretty fun now and then

I agree that the heart system is a minor annoyance, but then again, it is from the company who likes to remind you to take a break from playing the game every hour or so. It's meant to be played in short sessions, and if that's what you do it doesn't get (too) boring.

I hope they add more puzzles like #149, which is a puzzle you have to actually think about more what you do. I haven't been able to beat 150 yet...but I think I can soon since I'm getting a pretty big build up of coins.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm pretty close ... 143 I think. Mega Gengar took half of forever to beat (required: Mega Start and Disruption Delay). And yes, Gengar's Mega ability seems pretty dumb on the surface (eliminates all Mega Gengar tiles from the board) -- but it's not useless. One, this makes its attack power directly proportional to the # of Mega Gengar tiles on the board, and two, any time you match a Mega the replacement tiles never include the Mega, so by eliminating all Mega Gengar tiles from the board at once, it's like having a Complexity-1 item.

I'm betting a lot of people (note, I'm not saying all) were able to progress to max level Xerneas, Mewtwo, etc and destroy Mega Luc, where as people like me that only play it when they can wind up in 75k-th place. Kinda felt like 20k winners of Lucarionite wasn't enough.
I got a score of 11,000 on my absolute first try, using just a team of Mega Altaria, Chimecho, Azurill, and Swellow (all available before stage 100, and none of them above Lv.5). I eventually scored as high as 13,000 with basically the same team (I did swap to Mega Slowbro, but he really didn't make much difference). I think you're overstating the power of Pokemon levels, and IMHO I think the Complexity-1 powerup should have been banned from the stage (since combos keep going after the timer is up).

Anyway, at 13,000 points my final rank for the Mega Lucario stage was something like 12,742nd. Lucario's Mega effect is the same as Lopunny's, BTW, which means among other things it is not useful at all for taking on Zoroark (who divides your board into vertical halves).

Ampahros's Mega effect is fun, and he helped me take down Keldeo in the Special stages. (Those 5,000 coins for clearing the stage helped secure my victory over Mega Gengar.) And though it took several more tries, I finally caught him, too.

Also, fastest way to grind coins is to go to Stage 37 (Meowth) -- there are three coins on the board when you start so it's pretty easy to match three for +100 coins. However, if you wait until Meowth's disruption (which adds another coin to the board) and find a way to match all 4, it's +300 coins. THIS requires some serious thinking, because you only have 8 moves and if you're loaded with high-level Fighting types you could accidentally set off a combo to KO Meowth before you can line up all the coins. So with five hearts you can collect anywhere from +500 to +1500 coins....

I wonder when you get the Mega Stone for Absol ... no spoilers please.

Last edited:
It's meh. Obviously not something you spend doing all day on your 3DS, but maybe a break from your game, and you can let hearts recharge as you go back to playing Phoenix Wright, or Monster Hunter.

It's a fun little time killer. Perfect for a break, or a busride, stuff like that. So the hearts systems doesn't really bother me all that much either

As long as they keep adding Pokemon every so often, I can see this staying on my 3DS for a while.

Guys, help. I think I'm addicted.

In all seriousness, it's a fun little distraction to pass short segments of time, and I like it.

Honestly? It's really only 'meh'.

There's no real story and the catches aren't all that fun. Making it worse is the fact that sure, I can catch Sawk, but not Golurk. Yeah, that killed my interest rather quickly.

There's no real story...

How many puzzle games actually need a story anyway?

As for me, I'm on about level 160 by now. I was hoping 165 would be another Mega Stone battle, but nope, judging from the silhouette it is Milotic.

There are Pokemon with the same effects as others, but they have stronger attack power. I wish these could replace the weaker ones when you get them. I can see the Pokemon list is going to fill up until you can no longer keep track of them all. I don't see any way of sorting the list either.

There's no real story...

If it has Pokemon involved, I want something a bit more than "go catch this". Seriously, that's all I'm doing here. Even the first Trozei had a bit of a plot, which actually made me want to play. This is simply "catch this for coins/rewards" and it isn't hooking me at all. At most I check in, grab some coins and play a stage and that's it. I've felt no urge to actually spend money on this at all, which I guess is actually kind of a good thing.

Case in point: my hubby was able to get me Mew from its special stage but neither one of us have been able to get Keldeo, Kyogre or Rayquaza. But I'm not bothered by that. I honestly don't care if I get any of them, that's how lackluster this game is to me. When I was able to send in a rating, I only gave it two stars and even then I felt that I was being too generous.

There's no real story...

If it has Pokemon involved, I want something a bit more than "go catch this". Seriously, that's all I'm doing here. Even the first Trozei had a bit of a plot, which actually made me want to play. This is simply "catch this for coins/rewards" and it isn't hooking me at all. At most I check in, grab some coins and play a stage and that's it. I've felt no urge to actually spend money on this, which I guess is actually kind of a good thing.

Case in point: my hubby was able to get me Mew from its special stage but neither one of us have been able to get Keldeo, Kyogre or Rayquaza. But I'm not bothered by that. I honestly don't care if I get any of them, that's how lackluster this game is to me. When I was able to send in a rating, I only gave it two stars and even then I felt that I was being too generous.

I find the game very enjoyable when played in small bursts. It does a great job of relaxing me after the action from another game. I've managed to clear all the main stages (including mega aerodactyl). Some stages are really difficult and require coins or incredible luck/strategy milotic!. About it not having much of a story, I think that's a good thing. If it had a deep story, then the time limit would just agitate more people, and the lack of a story doesn't bother me at all since the game just feels like a mini-game. Haven't spent any money on it and I've even managed to win the lucarionite and blastoisinite and even get the safari mons. This game just takes patience and luck.

Also, fastest way to grind coins is to go to Stage 37 (Meowth) -- there are three coins on the board when you start so it's pretty easy to match three for +100 coins. However, if you wait until Meowth's disruption (which adds another coin to the board) and find a way to match all 4, it's +300 coins. THIS requires some serious thinking, because you only have 8 moves and if you're loaded with high-level Fighting types you could accidentally set off a combo to KO Meowth before you can line up all the coins. So with five hearts you can collect anywhere from +500 to +1500 coins....

I wonder when you get the Mega Stone for Absol ... no spoilers please.

If you want to gamble you can wait even more and another coin will appear, matching all 5 will get you 500 coins. The thing is that you have to really know what you're doing because the coin will appear when only 2 turns remain, meaning that after moving it to match the 5, you will have to defeat meowth in one turn to actually keep the money, raising the max coins you can get out of 5 hearts to 2500(not counting the standard 30 victory coins).

I completely forgot I still had it downloaded. I played it for maybe 7 minutes and quit, it's boring to me. I'd rather play the main series or Rumble World.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom