• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

No, feel free to complain, but don't throw around these garbage phrases of them being "incompetent" and "lazy." I don't see you importing models over to a new system, so maybe don't go there? You can't see the workload of having to fix all the shit that didn't make it over due to program issues that are totally unrelated to anyone's competence, and we have seen some new and updated animations amidst all of the work they apparently have to fix.

I fully support criticizing the fact that they opted to cut pokemon instead of extending their release schedule- assuming that decision was made early on, which I imagine it had to have been. I don't think that was a good call on their part- it was one that surely made sense to them because they figured that we wouldn't want to wait, but we would rather wait. But you can criticize without using banal insults that really do not apply to the situation.

You've called them lazy and incompetent, how is that not being insulting?
Except they have bilions of dollars and they could have easly managed all the problems if they wanted to. They just didn't want to. Let's be honest, they don't care about you as much as you care about them.
In my previous post I analyzed the interview with tons of IF. Considering we don't know what they said, I would find lazy recreating the all models without improving them (do we know IF they really did It? No). I would find incompetent IF they really tried to import the models and they failed to do It (do we know IF this really happened? No). My post was obviously suggesting that IF they said those things (and I seriously doubt about it) things wouldn't have changed. The models are most likely the same, so either they lied or they just admitted they had problems and they want us to pay for them.

Except they have bilions of dollars and they could have easly managed all the problems if they wanted to. They just didn't want to. Let's be honest, they don't care about you as much as you care about them.
In my previous post I analyzed the interview with tons of IF. Considering we don't know what they said, I would find lazy recreating the all models without improving them (do we know IF they really did It? No). I would find incompetent IF they really tried to import the models and they failed to do It (do we know IF this really happened? No). My post was obviously suggesting that IF they said those things (and I seriously doubt about it) things wouldn't have changed. The models are most likely the same, so either they lied or they just admitted they had problems and they want us to pay for them.
Okay, the "incompetent" part is really bugging me- if they tried to import the models and they did not import over correctly, that isn't incompetence, that is an issue with importing files over into a different program. This happens with all kinds of software and has nothing to do with the competence of the person importing the files.

Okay, the "incompetent" part is really bugging me- if they tried to import the models and they did not import over correctly, that isn't incompetence, that is an issue with importing files over into a different program. This happens with all kinds of software and has nothing to do with the competence of the person importing the files.
It's something possible. And if It's possible and they didn't do It right, It means they failed where others succeded. Does It sound better to you?

It's something possible. And if It's possible and they didn't do It right, It means they failed where others succeded. Does It sound better to you?
Look, we can tell by the wireframes remaining intact that they must have managed to import the models to an extent. That doesn't mean that the models weren't broken and in need of being severely reworked in order to be made functional, though. Importing files into a newer program often results in things breaking one way or another, which really isn't their fault in the slightest. It's just what happens. You can hardly even import an old Word document into a newer version of Word without stuff going out of alignment, so I can only imagine what must have happened with the model rigs.

What other franchise are you aware of that has experience with trying to use the same 3D models for six years straight across two different platforms?

Look, we can tell by the wireframes remaining intact that they must have managed to import the models to an extent. That doesn't mean that the models weren't broken and in need of being severely reworked in order to be made functional, though. Importing files into a newer program often results in things breaking one way or another, which really isn't their fault in the slightest. It's just what happens. You can hardly even import an old Word document into a newer version of Word without stuff going out of alignment, so I can only imagine what must have happened with the model rigs.

What other franchise are you aware of that has experience with trying to use the same 3D models for six years straight across two different platforms?
Mario reused models on the switch.
Let me understand. Let's say importing models could result in several problems and people in the game industry are aware of it. If they didn't take that in account while projecting the games and then suddently found themselves in trouble, whose fault is it? If a builder builds a house on a terrain that needs special supports (because it's instable) without those supports and at some point he realizes that the house could fall down and he needs to rebuilt it from scratch, whose fault is it? Does the customer has to pay for it?

Mario reused models on the switch.
Let me understand. Let's say importing models could result in several problems and people in the game industry are aware of it. If they didn't take that in account while projecting the games and then suddently found themselves in trouble, whose fault is it? If a builder builds a house on a terrain that needs special supports (because it's instable) without those supports and at some point he realizes that the house could fall down and he needs to rebuilt it from scratch, whose fault is it? Does the customer has to pay for it?
Mario doesn't have 800+ models to fix.

They did account for it by making the decision to cut pokemon. That was their solution. They know that this is going to be a recurring issue that is only going to get worse over time as more and more pokemon are made. Cutting pokemon was the most sustainable option to them- it's not favorable, and Masuda himself said that he wasn't happy with it either, but it was a solution that would allow them time to fix and ensure the quality of a good portion of the models without having to extend the wait between generations by any significant amount.

Mario doesn't have 800+ models to fix.

They did account for it by making the decision to cut pokemon. That was their solution. They know that this is going to be a recurring issue that is only going to get worse over time as more and more pokemon are made. Cutting pokemon was the most sustainable option to them- it's not favorable, and Masuda himself said that he wasn't happy with it either, but it was a solution that would allow them time to fix and ensure the quality of a good portion of the models without having to extend the wait between generations by any significant amount.
They choosed to cut pokemon instead of investing more money to make them all because it was an easier and more sustainable (to them) option.
May I disagree with this decision, considering they didn't use that time to make better animations and graphics as they claimed to?

Do also note he stated beforehand that you were capable of transferring all pokemon in sun and moon right before he dropped the bomb. Meaning he acknowledged what they were able to do previously, yet they still made the decision

They choosed to cut pokemon instead of investing more money to make them all because it was an easier and more sustainable (to them) option.
May I disagree with this decision, considering they didn't use that time to make better animations and graphics as they claimed to?
They did improve and make new animations but sure, whatever.

Man, though, if I had to pick something to hate, it'd be the shitty lighting they put on the models. XD It makes everything look like plastic and I hate it so much. It hasn't improved between trailers either. The backgrounds has been a notable improvement over past installments and has been improving with each trailer but that friggin' plastic lighting- like dude, Leon, what the fuck is your cape made of that it shines so much? I can't even.

They did improve and make new animations but sure, whatever.

Man, though, if I had to pick something to hate, it'd be the shitty lighting they put on the models. XD It makes everything look like plastic and I hate it so much. It hasn't improved between trailers either. The backgrounds has been a notable improvement over past installments and has been improving with each trailer but that friggin' plastic lighting- like dude, Leon, what the fuck is your cape made of that it shines so much? I can't even.
I went back and checked. They never said they had problems bringing the models to the switch (this is why I used the if). Why they recreated the models to match exactly with the previous ones is just one of those many things we, as customers, are not allowed to know.

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1150046237804154881

Now we just need to know if they lied about the models or not.

I went back and checked. They never said they had problems bringing the models to the switch (this is why I used the if). Why they recreated the models to match exactly with the previous ones is just one of those many things we, as customers, are not allowed to know.

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1150046237804154881

Hm, I think I see where you're going with that, and while it would make sense, I don't think this matches with fact this decision is supposed to carry on from this point onward in future games, and it's not like Dynamax will last past gen 8 sin GF plans on making new variants of similar power boost mechanics for future gens for the sake of uniqueness.

Now we just need to know if they lied about the models or not.
I doubt they lied about anything. They just haven't gone into complete detail to explain what exactly went wrong and what had to be done to fix it.

It would be nice if they'd release an informative video or something to show us the process of what had to be done... I'd enjoy watching that more than the little series they did on the art directors.

I doubt they lied about anything. They just haven't gone into complete detail to explain what exactly went wrong and what had to be done to fix it.

It would be nice if they'd release an informative video or something to show us the process of what had to be done... I'd enjoy watching that more than the little series they did on the art directors.
I don't know. I just cannot explain why they had the opportunity to redo the models and decided to leave Gyarados barbels look like wooden sticks glued together. I won't buy it until further proof. I mean, all the pokemon I have seen so far look exactly the same as before. I need to see a small difference to take in consideration the possibility.

hrzwwfh5nja31.jpg

I don't know. I just cannot explain why they had the opportunity to redo the models and decided to leave Gyarados barbels look like wooden sticks glued together. I won't buy it until further proof. I mean, all the pokemon I have seen so far look exactly the same as before. I need to see a small difference to take in consideration the possibility.

hrzwwfh5nja31.jpg
Well, the problem is that what you're looking at are the wire frames. The frames appear as though they imported fine, so they're not going to look different, but the rigging, which (and I admit to not know a lot about modeling but based on context of what I have been reading) I take to be essentially the "bones" of the models may have had a problem and needed to be redone in order to make the animations work.

Yeah, I definitely think the wireframes could have used some edits, but I don't think that's what they were focusing on. It was the animations and the textures that I believe got all of the attention- the textures definitely have been updated since the 3DS, that's a given, but the animations from what we've seen range from being entirely new animations, to minor alterations, to being the same as the old animations- and if there was any issue with converting files, I imagine that that must have been the thing to go, so even getting those old animations to work would have required time to put new bones into the frames.

Considering that Machop did get that edit to one of its animations, and Weavile got an entirely new animation, it certainly does look like evidence that the focus was on animation this go-around, and they did take the opportunity to make some changes.

That is one thing we can confirm, and that's some pokemon seem to have this new roar like animation.
That's improving compared to 700+ entirely new 3d models, 2100+ entirely new models animations and all moves new animations back in x/y. It's obvious that a single new animation to some pokemon is not the reason for the national dex cut.

That's improving compared to 700+ entirely new 3d models, 2100+ entirely new models animations and all moves new animations back in x/y. It's obvious that a single new animation to some pokemon is not the reason for the national dex cut.
But having to fix all of the other animations in addition to adding new animations very well could be.

Part of me feels it's not the only change. I'll need to see another pokemon do it to confirm, but I feel they'll give all pokemon unique animations for specific moves they learn. Like the alolan starters or Zeraora

Part of me feels it's not the only change. I'll need to see another pokemon do it to confirm, but I feel they'll give all pokemon unique animations for specific moves they learn. Like the alolan starters or Zeraora
The chances that those animations are not in sw/sh are pretty high considering the chances that those pokemon are not in Galar are pretty high XD
I don't know. It's all just speculation considering they keep ignoring the argument. We have been left discussing about things we don't/can't know. I don't see why they just don't take this seriously and anwer properly with facts instead of leaving people make their own conclusions.
What can I say to you? Maybe in two months we will discover these spectacular brand new animations....I hope so.

The chances that those animations are not in sw/sh are pretty high considering the chances that those pokemon are not in Galar are pretty high XD
I don't know. It's all just speculation considering they keep ignoring the argument. We have been left discussing about things we don't/can't know. I don't see why they just don't take this seriously and anwer properly with facts instead of leaving people make their own conclusions.
What can I say to you? Maybe in two months we will discover these spectacular brand new animations....I hope so.
I only brought it up cause there's one thing I don't see much people talking about. During the E3 floor demo footage someone used a Scorbunny that knew Flame Charge. When It used the move, the animation for it looked way to intricate to be Scorbunny's physical attack animation. Like Scorbunny actually ran towards opponent to kick it then hop back into place. So I thought this was a unique animation for that move made only for Scorbunny. So it made me think. If simple moves like that can get unique animations, how many others got the same treatment, then I thought it'd make sense that pokemon had certain animations for moves people would most likely have in certain pokemon's usual movesets.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom