• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your thoughts on Unnofficial Server support for older games?

Reaction score
Recently I've been playing a lot of Gen's IV and V, and I find myself regretting that I never actively got into the community when I was younger, as I look back on all the fun features I missed that are now no longer accessible by official means.
Thankfully however, with the help of unofficial servers (such as Pokeclassic Network, etc.) I've been able to experience some of these things for the first time (Gen IV's Wifi-Plaza!!) and I'm really happy that fans are supporting features like this.

I've even recently seen progress on getting the Dream World up and running again, which is something I've never experienced, and would love to, as a lot of features are now gone from the Gen V games due to it.

Despite this however, I still find it hard to find places to trade with people who use these, as it feels like the scene is relatively small. I've considered asking around on the forums here, but I feel like I'd be on my own. I'd love to one day trade for Dream World Hidden Ability and Global Link Hidden Ability breedables in Gen V, but it just doesn't seem feasible I guess, as most players from that era have probably moved on by now and not looked back.

Personally I don't like the permanent distribution of event Pokemon through these servers, and tend to stay away from them since I see them as illegitimate, and the GTS services tend to be filled with obviously illegitimate Pokemon, but I guess that's usual for games who still have their online support as well. (Lookin' at you, Gen VII) Otherwise, I really love that this exists.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this topic. :bulbaLove:

I'm a girl that's... very into the modification of video game software and that kind of thing, particularly Nintendo consoles. And although I haven't experienced the magic of the DS generation's online heyday (even though I had a DS I didn't have the Pokémon games for it sadly?), I... see zero problem with it lol. Especially as the 3DS stuff is starting to close down, and that was my first experience with mainline Pokémon games... that'll be strange once that's closed.

Honestly even with Event Tickets and that kind of thing, I'm okay with it all. Whenever I get Event Pokémon, I limit myself to one per playthrough, at least while I'm still doing story stuff?

But yeah, I think it's a great thing?

I think this is a really interesting idea. I'd just be a bit worried about Nintendo sending people legal threats if the servers become more popular, since they seem to be a bit trigger-happy with the DMCAs sometimes.

I personally really like the servers dedicated to providing old event Pokemon. Where I live, we didn't start getting any events until gen 5, so having the earlier ones available to go back to look at now is nice. And for specific games, I'd really like to have an online version of the gen 4 Underground. The BDSP version has some interesting new things, but I miss setting the traps and playing the flag-capturing game. I never really played with more than 3 players at a time (me, my brother and me on another DS), so I'd love to experience it with a bigger set of players online.

I haven't personally tried any of these unofficial online server revivals, but as someone who will talk your ear off about the importance of media preservation, I think it's a lovely and noble concept. I was very, very invested in all of Gen 5's online features, from the day of release until the day they all shut down (which was on my freakin' birthday by the way LOL), and it broke my heart knowing that a huge chunk of the game would basically become lost to time. Knowing there are fans still dedicated enough to older games to keep them alive and prevent that from happening does bandage that wound a little bit — but like Tood said, I worry it'll be short-lived.

The Dream World revitalization project is especially interesting to me (I haven't looked into it much, but I believe a lot of the website's elements/graphics were lost when it closed down as well), though honestly I'd be happy just to mess around on GTS Negotiations one more time.

Personally I don't like the permanent distribution of event Pokemon through these servers, and tend to stay away from them since I see them as illegitimate [...]
Bit of a sidenote, but I do agree with this sentiment! I collected a ton of event Pokémon during the Gen 4 and 5 eras, but there are plenty that I missed or just simply don't have anymore (either due to trading them away or restarting old saves as a kid). However, I'm also a huge stickler for "authenticity" — so while I absolutely see the appeal in obtaining past event Pokémon again, having them distributed outside of their intended means or time period will just never feel right to me personally. I'm probably never going to get my little Spiky-eared Pichu back ever again and that's just gonna have to be okay. :p

I personally like it and believe they really help. They would help especially for the later gen Pokémon games since they have a lot more features that rely on connecting online and they (especially Gen 7) will be be hit really hard once the 3DS online shuts down. Gen 5 desperately needed as much support as it could get from these in order for players to make the most out of its games.

Personally, I really hope Pokémon games will continue being supported by unofficial servers made for online support in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom