• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What aspect of Pokemon games do you care about most?

I generally care mostly about the Pokemon themselves and breeding/shiny hunting (though only if it's a game I know I will be investing my time into--I won't shiny hunt in replays). I give some attention to the newest shiny hunt method of each generation, however, I generally stick to the Masuda method as it is grants the most control over the shiny, and is also the safest method. The story is also a factor, but not as great as the above two.

• Staff
in order of priority, i give attention to these aspects in a pokemon game:

1. battling
2. shiny hunt method
3. pokemon
4. region
5. everything else

i love battling, and always have! so it's important to me to have some sort of post-game battle facility or have some sort of mechanic dedicated towards battling. it and shiny hunting actually kinda share the same slot in importance, depending on the method in that particular generation. pokemon designs is something i care greatly about and in general the more i like a region's pokemon, the more likely i am to be fond of that region in general. region comes after, and this generally means the exploration, environment, how many towns/cities there are, things to do, stuff like that (although i suppose pokemon can fit in here, as well). everything else i don't really pay a whole lot of attention or give a whole lot of weight to.

I'm mainly focused on the region design, gameplay mechanics, extra content, and the Pokemon. I'm mainly looking for a fun game I can immerse myself in for hours exploring, collecting, and completing as many of the game's goals as possible.

I think mine would be characters, story and the Pokémon themselves. The region itself, too. Also, the ability to solo the region, which is my way to experiment with different Pokémon (I need to get back to that).

Everything is important to me .

But when a new game will be released soon, I care more about the story and legendaries. They are literally the face of the game.

The bonding system is also something I hope always get better in pokemon games. I hope pokemons look more like individuals with personalities and less like battle machines. Pokemon camp was great to give them some personality , but I hope they get more developed personalities.

Battles are more or less the same, so I generally dont think much about battles in a new pokemon game.

the Pokémon designs! I realized somewhat recently that the mons looking as good as they did/having the style they do is the biggest reason why I'm so attached to this series. there are several other monster collecting games out there, like Yokai Watch and Dragon Warrior Monsters, that I just never cared as much for because I wasn't as into the style. those who design and bring the Pokémon to life do a very good job at it. I can't see myself loving the designs of creatures from any other franchise. <3

specifically focusing on the games, I absolutely adore the battle and collecting aspect. alternate colored/shiny mons are also another feature that keep me playing for a long while after.

-battles
-strategies
-logic
-move combos
-abilities, moves and effects
-diffrent outtakes an choices
- positive changes and buffs of past elements(buffs more then nerfs)
-designes
-cooperation and interaction
-puzzles and secrets
- education and culture implemented
- in game humor and jokes

The creatures are my main focus, without it, we wouldn't have the rest and since the world is so filled with diversity, the in-game diversity is also a great point.
The region design comes next in what concerns deepth and detail. I don't care for a region that tries to have every kind of environment in it but I care that the ones that we get are well constructed and make sense in their overall connection to each other.
Next comes the story and not only the plot but also how it's presented and delved and in this I also include pkmn lore.
Characters? My problem with the main character doesn't seemed to be "fixed" soon, neither all the other problems associated with it (single mom, Dex quest, rival, evil team, etc).
Post game content? It's a plus when well done but if the creatures and region are interesting I can enjoy more time with a game. I reached 999 hours in Sapphire and the post content back then was scarce..I did it because I was interested in knowing and raising all the new Pkmn and i simply love Gen. III Hoenn (more than in ASOR).

Good Pokémon Design
Character design
Characterization
Good-Looking places (read: Variation between places you visit. Not like Alola everything beinga hot tropical island looking the same, always.)

I also like it if there is a decent story but other than Gen 5, no game really has a proper story so this is something I don't necessarily expect or need, it's just luxury points if it's there.

The Pokémon themselves, the fictional ecology (I love finding out which Pokémon other ones like to eat, or which ones have symbiotic relationships, for example)

Against my better judgment, the storyline, characters, and worldbuilding. Actually, that prompts a question I want to aim at anyone else who mentioned the story or the characters: Why are those so resonant with you? I don't think it's controversial to say that Pokémon is not exactly a masterclass in storytelling or character development, but clearly something about it works for a lot of people. I'm not sure I can even really put my finger on what about it appeals to me so much. Maybe it's the way that the characters and the setting intersect with the creatures themselves in order to generate a very unique world.

The very OCD-friendly way that mostly everything can be categorized and organized along various different qualities

And having played it for the better portion of my life, the gameplay is ingrained in my head, so it's super easy and comfortable for me to slip into. I find the fundamental system of Pokémon to be familiar and easy-to-grasp, and yet simultaneously just robust enough to not feel too simplistic.

The characters and story intrigue me the first time I play a game (and during the pre-release period, for most games anyway), but they are obviously not the reason I would replay it. Once there is no wonder (and there isn't much to begin with unless you set your expectations too high), those elements are pretty superficial and there are much more suitable games for that (albeit with less charm, mostly).

What it really boils down to is team building and how much it changes the experience each time (long breaks help, as do difficulty/QoL hacks). If the region and music are nostalgic, that helps a lot. New regions carry a sense of discovery, but once that wears out, I am usually not thrilled with what's left.

Last edited:
I like befriending all the cute Pokeymans (which is most of them)! I also like helping other players get Pokémon they want, but that's the librarian in me lol.

I do also love the music, and while plot has pretty clearly never been a priority for Game Freak, a good story is always a plus! (HIS FLOETTE CAME BACK! (TдT)) Oh, and interesting human characters, too!

My most important aspects:

-The Region. I want to feel immersed in the fiction world - and that means the region needs to be well designed and highly explorable. The way the chosen Pokemon and Battles interact with this world also important as well. Towns filled with depth and winding roads and caves really add to the region as well - as if it was made to challenge you.

-Flexibility. I like when I can customize my character and my team the way I see fit - and closer to the start of the game. Plenty of Pokemon and options to chose from, including how difficult the gameplay will be. Seeing the Isle of Armor, I dream of a game that scales the level of trainers and Pokemon to your team's progression and the Number of badges you have.

-Replayability. I like Pokemon games that have lots of things to do to keep me coming back. The Battle Frontier, Trainer Rematches, Hidden Areas and all sorts of other postgame content come to mind that keep the gameplay fresh and fun in the long run.

-Quality of Life enhancements. I like when Pokemon games are 'fun' to play - And getting rid of all kinds of absurdly unfun mechanics like competitive breeding, HM's, safari zone RNG, and trade evolutions do help immensely. I loved the convenience of the ORAS Pokenav, as well as the PSS from Gen VI. A well-sorted bag also helps here, as well as the removal of cluttering items.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom