• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What balls did you use to capture the legendary pokémon?

Tiger21820

Master of Fire and Ice!
Reaction score
Omega Ruby:

Groudon: Poké Ball
Rayquaza: Poké Ball (Rayquaza was surprisingly easy to capture with a Poké Ball)
Deoxys: Poké Ball (Deoxys on the other hand, was a completely different story...
every time I KOed it, I reset the game forcing me to capture Rayquaza and defeat Zinnia all over again...
I did that a good 15+ times till it was caught!)
Mesprit: Poké Ball
Azelf: Poké Ball
Terrakion: Poké Ball
(More Soon)

Alpha Sapphire:

Kyogre: Poké Ball
Rayquaza: Poké Ball (Rayquaza was surprisingly easy to capture with a Poké Ball)
Deoxys: Poké Ball (Deoxys on the other hand, was a completely different story...
every time I KOed it, I reset the game forcing me to capture Rayquaza and defeat Zinnia all over again...
Azelf: Poké Ball
Mesprit: Poké Ball
Terrakion: Poké Ball

The key is to put them to sleep and use alot of Capture Power Level 3! :D (I did not have a pokémon in OmegaRuby party that could put pokémon to sleep,
so I had to resort to getting them down to as little HP as possible without knocking them out;
plus I had 999 Poké Balls to use)

So what did you use to capture your legends?

Last edited:
Kyogre: Master Ball. After like 30 tries to catch it in either a Great Ball or a Dive Ball, it finally drove me crazy and I flung a Master Ball HARD
Mesprit: Heal Ball
Rayquaza: Ultra Ball
Deoxys: Great Ball
Latios: Great Ball
Azelf: Great Ball
Lugia: Dive Ball

Last edited:
I try and match up the pokeballs used with what I think is the most appropriate ball or try to match the colour scheme. For example, I have Landorus in a premier ball to match his white cloud, Terrakion in a luxury ball, Tornadus in a dusk ball, and Heatran in a timer ball.

Have never really cared about matching balls with looks and thus caught Kyogre, Rayquaza and Azelf in Ultra Balls. For whatever reason, probably to add a bit of challenge, snagged Deoxys in a Luxury Ball and the Regi trio in Premier Balls, though. What the rest of available legendaries will end up will be seen later, been contemplating whether I should have the patience to try to SR some of them or not (in which case I'll just go for maximum catch rate).

Could've just moved on, beaten the round 2 of Elite Four, and come back to finish the deal with Deoxys in private later like I did [after a quick search online]; all legendaries have been resetting after E4 for quite a few games now. Damn Rayquaza so OP.

Have never really cared about matching balls with looks and thus caught Kyogre, Rayquaza and Azelf in Ultra Balls. For whatever reason, probably to add a bit of challenge, snagged Deoxys in a Luxury Ball and the Regi trio in Premier Balls, though. What the rest of available legendaries will end up will be seen later, been contemplating whether I should have the patience to try to SR some of them or not (in which case I'll just go for maximum catch rate).

Could've just moved on, beaten the round 2 of Elite Four, and come back to finish the deal with Deoxys in private later like I did [after a quick search online]; all legendaries have been resetting after E4 for quite a few games now. Damn Rayquaza so OP.
I wasn't aware of that... :/
Oh well...

I keep forgetting to go after legendaries, but so far I have:

Kyogre in a Master Ball (I'd wanted a Dive Ball, but I ran out of those and patience after a number of resets...)
Cresselia in a Heal Ball (to match its coloring!)
aaand Latios in a Pokéball (so he and his sister match!)

The only Legendary I've caught so far is Rayquaza with a Quick Ball. I would've used my Master Ball if it broke free.

Kyogre - Ultra Ball
Cobalion - Ultra Ball
Rayquaza - Ultra Ball (first one thrown)
Deoxys - Master Ball
Heatran - Ultra Ball
Virizion - Ultra Ball
Latios - Ultra Ball
Suicune - Premier Ball (first ball thrown in battle)
Raikou - Poké Ball
Entei - Ultra Ball
Mesprit - Ultra Ball
Cresellia - Timer Ball
Thundurus - Ultra Ball (first ball thrown in battle)
Registeel - Ultra Ball
Regirock - Timer Ball
Regice - Ultra Ball
Regigigas - Great Ball
Lugia - Great Ball

Generally, when I get annoyed by a Pokémon constantly bursting out of Ultra Balls, I start to throw random balls until I catch it. Unless I'm not paying attention whilst spamming A (which is why I caught Suicune in a Premier Ball).

I caught Groudon in an Ultra Ball on the first try, which I was pretty happy with!
That's all so far. The others will just be caught in whatever happens to manage to catch them.

These are the ones I have so far

Groudon-Master Ball (I was filming the scene on my phone for memories so I completely forgot to save before engaging the thing so I ended up Master Balling it. There's no way I was going to try to keep weakening it over and over while it blasted away at my highly weak to fire and ground-type team when it had Rest anyway)
Rayquaza-Quick Ball
Deoxys-Timer Ball
Mesprit-Ultra Ball
Uxie and Azelf-Timer Balls (Azelf gave me the most trouble and was destroying me with his max Nasty Plot powered attacks.)
Cobalion-Ultra Ball
Virizion and Terrakion-Timer Balls
Reshiram-Timer Ball
Ho-Oh-Ultra Ball (First one thrown:)
Palkia-Heal Ball (I intentionally wanted to catch him in this since it matches his color scheme:)
Suicune-Timer Ball (Wanted Dive Ball, but I didn't have any. (And since I;m trying to get some money I didn't want to buy any) Then Net Ball since he's a water-type, but they all failed.)
Tornadus-Nest Ball (Same with Palika. Matched his color)
Raikou-Ultra Ball (Again, color match)

Always one of the two: Dusk Balls or Ultra Balls. If I'm lucky, maybe a Quick Ball.

Aiming to catch Azelf in a Dive Ball and Uxie in an Ultra Ball, but I gotta find out where I can buy Dive Balls first >.>

Dive Balls are available in Fallabor town. You can buy Dusk Balls and Quick Balls there, too.

Last edited:
Groudon: Premier Ball
Mesprit: Ultra Ball
Cresselia: Ultra Ball
Rayquaza: Ultra Ball
Deoxys: Master Ball
Surskit: Poke Ball (Surskit is legendary. Don't deny it.)

Kyogre in the Master Ball because it was pissing me off so much.
Most everything else I caught in Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls. I always fling a Quick Ball first in case I'm lucky but I haven't been so far. I did catch Cresselia in a Premier Ball just because, though. Virizion is the freaking Bane of my existence, though, the damn thing was caught in a Great Ball because by the time it stayed in something, that was all I had left. Stop healing with Giga Drain, damn it! And stop killing the level 50 Absol I brought along just because it's the only thing I have that can learn false swipe for catching things!

I caught Latios in a premier ball after I threw a bunch of ultra balls at him. I surprised myself.

However, currently it goes:

Kyogre - Dive

Rayquaza - Dusk

Last edited:
I have been recently soft resetting for shiny pokemon:

Got a shiny reshiram in master ball (my 3ds had the bottom screen broken at that time, and so I just blindly flung a master ball not wanting to risk it after 3d of near constant soft resetting)

With the screen fixed I ended up trying for latias and got one after 4 days of soft resetting - that one I caught in repeat ball knowing it would have a higher catch rate

I wish I caught the reshiram in a premier ball ... Would have been perfect!

Caught Ho-oh in a Repeat Ball earlier. Premier or Repeat were the two choices I wanted. I eventually settled for Adamant 31/29/25/x/31/31 in a Repeat Ball. Not like the IVs matter since I'll never use it.

Currently working on catching a decent Raikou in an Ultra Ball. Will post about the other legendaries when I get around to them afterwards, won't be catching them all, however. (Regis are probably next on the list.)

Edit: Just caught a Timid Raikou 31/31/31/6-7/30/31 >_>

These are the ones I have so far

Groudon-Master Ball (I was filming the scene on my phone for memories so I completely forgot to save before engaging the thing so I ended up Master Balling it. There's no way I was going to try to keep weakening it over and over while it blasted away at my highly weak to fire and ground-type team when it had Rest anyway)
Rayquaza-Quick Ball
Deoxys-Timer Ball
Mesprit-Ultra Ball
Uxie and Azelf-Timer Balls (Azelf gave me the most trouble and was destroying me with his max Nasty Plot powered attacks.)
Cobalion-Ultra Ball
Virizion and Terrakion-Timer Balls
Reshiram-Timer Ball
Ho-Oh-Ultra Ball (First one thrown:)
Palkia-Heal Ball (I intentionally wanted to catch him in this since it matches his color scheme:)
Suicune-Timer Ball (Wanted Dive Ball, but I didn't have any. (And since I;m trying to get some money I didn't want to buy any) Then Net Ball since he's a water-type, but they all failed.)
Tornadus-Nest Ball (Same with Palika. Matched his color)
Raikou-Ultra Ball (Again, color match)

Adding Entei in Repeat Ball. Wanted another color match, but ran out of Repeat Balls on the first try. I re-started, then went out and bought like 30 more of them just to catch it in that specific ball.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom