• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What balls did you use to capture the legendary pokémon?

So far I have used an Ultra Ball on Rayquaza and a Master Ball on Deoxys. Haven't begun to start trying for the other legendaries, since I started a run on White for no real reason.

Ultra Balls. I suppose I should try Timer and Dusk Balls, too. But I rarely try to capture them with anything less than an Ultra Ball. I used to use the Master Ball I got in games on a legendary, but now I've quit doing that to challenge myself. I haven't used a Master Ball since HG, IIRC. (it may go back further than that)

Ultra Balls. I suppose I should try Timer and Dusk Balls, too. But I rarely try to capture them with anything less than an Ultra Ball. I used to use the Master Ball I got in games on a legendary, but now I've quit doing that to challenge myself. I haven't used a Master Ball since HG, IIRC. (it may go back further than that)

Go for Dusk Balls, girl. Dusk ball = 3.5 catch rate at night (when I play most often) or in caves (where most legendaries are found anyway). Ultra ball only have a 2x catch rate. Technically, dusk balls are better! Personally, never found timer balls helpful at all. By the time they have a high catch rate you probably could have caught them in something else.

Only things I've bothered to catch so far was a spur of the moment Cresselia in a pretty Heal Ball :) and Kyogre in a Dive Ball. I named it Mr. Bubbles hehehehehehehe xD

I currently have no legendary Pokémon in Omega Ruby, so these are my Alpha Sapphire legendaries.
In order of my PC with my party last.
Deoxys: Master Ball
Latias: Poké Ball (doesn't count)
Mesprit: Ultra Ball
Cobalion: Ultra Ball
Azelf: Ultra Ball
Virizion: Ultra Ball
Lugia: Ultra Ball
Kyogre: Ultra Ball
Rayquaza: Ultra Ball

Heheh...

NOT A LUXURY BALL THAT'S FOR SURE! As I'd have to spend hours trading them over from XY...

However, currently it goes:

Kyogre - Dive

Rayquaza - Dusk
You can buy Luxury Balls.

I kind of wish I caught Rayquaza in it, but its in a Premier Ball.

I'm wondering if anyone here bothers to use Capture Power?

Ah, I forgot to edit my post as I found out you can buy them 4 days ago... for some reason Serebii listed Luxury balls as an item you can only find outside of shops :/

I personally don't use the capture power as legends seem pretty easy to capture normally now...

In my first playthough of emerald I captured My first Rayquaza in a primer ball so I set out to do the same and I did :)

I caught zekrom in a luzary ball and kyurem in a primer ball and I'll catch reshirham in a primer ball too if I can

Rayuaza - Heal Ball
Groudon, Deoxys, Cresslia, Mesprit - Ultra Ball

NOT A LUXURY BALL THAT'S FOR SURE! As I'd have to spend hours trading them over from XY...

However, currently it goes:

Kyogre - Dive

Rayquaza - Dusk
You can buy Luxury Balls.

I kind of wish I caught Rayquaza in it, but its in a Premier Ball.

I shall remember that when I go catch Giratina in a Luxury Ball :)

I caught Virizion in a Dusk Ball recently

EDIT: Just caught Giratina in a Luxury Ball. I had to soft reset once because of failed Synchronize but I got it after using 40 Luxury Balls.

Last edited:
I've only caught one Legend and that was Groudon. I tried to nab him with an Ultra Ball but he was leveling my freaking team; even my level 65 Golurk was in trouble facing that monster so out came the Master Ball.
Well, crap. Now I feel special. >.<
I completely forgot about that, slag it all. I'll remember that when it comes to the Mirage Spots. And I'm planning on sending over a few more Master Balls so I have a back-up in place for any Legend that shows up shiny. (Namely Reshiram. I want that sucker to sparkle something bad so I'll probably be SRing in front of it for a while. Wish me luck.)

I don't know if it's just me but Timer Balls and Dusk Balls seem to have been nerfed. I caught nearly all the Gen5 legends in them but now they don't even bounce before the Pokemon breaks free.

Terrakion - Ultra
Mesprit - Ultra
Latios - Dusk
Azelf - Dusk
Cresselia - Ultra
Virizion - Quick
Rayquaza - Premiere
Deoxys - Ultra
Latias - Pokeball
Kyogre - Ultra
Cobalion - Quick
Lugia - Quick
Uxie - Timer
Heatran - Dusk
Suicune - Timer
Raikou - Quick
Entei - Ultra

I was an idiot and ran away from Heatran thinking I'd already got one but it was Terrakion >.< I've since beat the E4 so I have a second chance. I got the tidal bell yesterday so I'm expecting to find Lugia next?

I completed the Delta episode this evening & managed to get Rayquaza & Deoxys first time. I'm still sat here struggling to believe I got them on the first go with less than 10 balls between them. It took me an hour and a small fortune in Ultra, Dusk & Dive Balls to get Kyogre!

Last edited:
I don't know if it's just me but Timer Balls and Dusk Balls seem to have been nerfed. I caught nearly all the Gen5 legends in them but now they don't even bounce before the Pokemon breaks free.
Maybe it's just me but most of the Balls seem a bit nerfed this time around. I've had to waste multiple Ultra Balls on what should have been easy catches of normal Pokemon. I don't kid here: one Skarmory was a fifteen minute curse-fest that ended with me killing the creature out of sheer irritation. The only times I've had that sort of trouble in the past was when I was going after Legends.

Right now:

Groudon- Master Ball
Cobalion- Ultra Ball
Azelf- Ultra Ball

I've gone ahead and sent over three more Master Balls from my copy of X in order to be fully prepared for the Delta Episode. If I'm facing Deoxys, I'm not messing around. Same with Rayquaza as well. I might sent another one or two over, just in case of a shiny encounter at a Mirage spot but we'll see.

I completed Episode Delta over the weekend. I'd read that you have to capture Rayquaza to proceed with the storyline so getting him isn't awful. I tried a Premier ball when he was in the red but awake and got him first time. Deoxys is the challenge but you should be okay if you can keep your team going because he's hella strong. You can always (not a real spoiler)
knock him out, beat the E4 again and Deoxys will be waiting for you at Sky Pillar so there's no need to get him first time.

It's weird but since posting originally, I've been able to capture Cobalion in a Quick ball, Uxie in a Timer ball, Lugia in a Quick ball and Heatran in a Dusk ball. I know the Quick balls aren't the coolest ones but when Dusk, Ultra & Timer balls won't even bounce, I SR and usually get it in a Quick ball within minutes. Lugia took two SRs.

Edit - it's took me two hours to get the legendary dogs. They were not fun! Next is Thundurus, then the Regis which I'm not looking forward to.

Last edited:
--Groudon: Master Ball (I didn't have any other ball with me, and I didn't want to reset my game just to get some.)
--Rayquaza: Ultra Ball (Surprisingly, it was easy to catch it. I think it was just dumb luck, but I've noticed my friends and others have said it's just easy to catch. *shrug*)
--Deoxys: Ultra Ball (This fucker was a pain in the ass to catch. I got it down to 1 HP, and paralyzed. I finally caught it after the 70th Ultra Ball.)

Only caught a few so far. It seems the Timer Balls are the best for efficiency, assuming nothing has changed, and I didn't know they were buffed (earlier turn for max since BW?), so I've been using a lot of them lately. Maybe on my next play through of OR I'll get different balls (Premier, Luxury, Dive, Dusk), but for my first set, I think I'll use Timer Balls. I'm mostly just concerned with IVs (SRing for them) so efficiency is really important to me; also using capture power (it's on level 2)

-Rayquaza x2: Quick Ball: One Rayquaza for each game. His Catch Rate has been increased to 45 I believe similar to Reshiram and Zekrom in BW, and Xerneas and Yveltal in XY. This makes for an easy capture with a Quick Ball the moment the battle begins. Still difficult to capture though, being at level 70 and all, but at least most of the time (around 30%) he goes into the ball.

- Cresselia: Dusk Ball: I caught her at night and when I caught her I didn't know about the new Timer Ball mechanics. It's also nice aesthetically to contrast Cresselia's light nature with a dark one (though I kinda did that on accident).

- Reshiram: Timer Ball: Difficult capture since the catch rate is no longer 45 like in BW. At least it's similar to the rest of the legends I have to capture.

- Groudon: Timer Ball: Pain to capture, especially when Groudon would Rest off my False Swipes, and I almost went for the Master Ball, until I finally caught it. It was even worse capturing Groudon than it was Reshiram or Cresselia, and then I realized that I always forgot to put on my capture power...

Anyone know what I should use the Master Ball on? Any difficult captures for example?

- Reshiram: Timer Ball: Difficult capture since the catch rate is no longer 45 like in BW. At least it's similar to the rest of the legends I have to capture.
I thought as much.

I did a "run through" last night and tried to catch Reshiram with a Luxury Ball... she wouldn't stay in. I blew all 11 of them, 9 Premier Balls and 6 Heal Balls before she surrendered. And this was with the Capture Power in action! I may say, "To slag with this" and pitch one of my extra Master Balls at her when she finally sparkles at me. (No, I didn't keep that Reshiram; this was a dry run to see how bad it might be if I try to catch the shiny.)

And I caught Virizion last night; first try he was so annoying that I threw a Master Ball at him. But I re-thought that, reset and tried again, this time using a level 1 Capture Power. Knocked him down to 1 HP and threw an Ultra Ball. He didn't even fight me at that point. One (Ultra Ball) and done. I gotta remember that little trick.
Anyone know what I should use the Master Ball on? Any difficult captures for example?
Have you gotten Deoxys yet, 'cause that's where I'd use mine. No point in messing around with that guy.

I thought as much.

I did a "run through" last night and tried to catch Reshiram with a Luxury Ball... she wouldn't stay in. I blew all 11 of them, 9 Premier Balls and 6 Heal Balls before she surrendered. And this was with the Capture Power in action! I may say, "To slag with this" and pitch one of my extra Master Balls at her when she finally sparkles at me. (No, I didn't keep that Reshiram; this was a dry run to see how bad it might be if I try to catch the shiny.)

And I caught Virizion last night; first try he was so annoying that I threw a Master Ball at him. But I re-thought that, reset and tried again, this time using a level 1 Capture Power. Knocked him down to 1 HP and threw an Ultra Ball. He didn't even fight me at that point. One (Ultra Ball) and done. I gotta remember that little trick.
Have you gotten Deoxys yet, 'cause that's where I'd use mine. No point in messing around with that guy.

I almost forgot about Deoxys; I just kept thinking about Mirage Spots. It has Recover to heal off my False Swipe damage, Cosmic Power to stop me from re-dealing out that damage, and two hard-hitting moves. It caused my team trouble even when I was just trying to KO it for later, so I know it would cause problems when catching it. To top it all off it's 30 levels higher than everything else. Thanks for reminding me. You have no idea how grateful I am. Looks like Deoxys is going to find its new home in a Master Ball.

Good luck on that Reshiram by the way. Its shiny form looks absolutely beautiful, plus its rare as its only catchable as a shiny in ORAS. I may go for one in a later runthrough if I find the patience.

Ultra Balls for literally everything except Deoxys, on which I used my Master Ball. I seem to get luckiest with Ultra Balls, even in caves as opposed to Dusk Balls.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom