• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: What book are you in the middle of right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murder on the Orient Express. Reading Martin Chuzzlewit was a courageous attempt, but the endless cockney English perpetuated by the characters, condensed into unceasing lines of godless text, went beyond my appreciative capabilities. Nay - far better the simpler approach, where style and intrigue lays unmarred by the tongues of the underclasses: individuals whom I pity in proportions extreme if only for their accents, which, mercifully, are fast dying out.

And may I just say that this book is brilliant so far, and I can't wait to watch the film.
But... they'll get hanged... oh my god. I can't do this. I can't have Rey get hanged. I feel sick and frightened somebody hold me

I read books my siblings write. Really should drive on to the library and pick something up one of these days.

You know, if the narration wasn't written by an incompetent scrub who does nothing but curse and swear and fart on paper.

Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi. It's actually not a very good book. The main character is an immature, self-entitled brat who thinks she's better than everyone else, the other characters are woefully one-dimensional, the storyline is cliche, and its attempts at trying to appeal to teens and anime/game/manga fans are clumsy at best and insulting at worst. Yet...it's actually a guilty pleasure of mine.

I'm reading Night Film by Marisha Pessl. Really enjoying the twists and turns and the darker tone it's starting to take, though I find the two side characters really annoying.

I stumbled across a short story called "The Machine Stops" today. The setting sounds like something from The Matrix, until you realize the story was written BACK IN 1909. Which makes it even more unsettling....

Last edited:
The Littlest Bigfoot by Jennifer Weiner - Ehhhh, this one is really annoying me. There's so much telling and not enough showing! Jeez!
Giant Spider and Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale, Volume 1 - This is a cute manga! It's such a refreshing take on an after the apocalypse...and as someone who normally hates spiders, I found Asa to be really adorable!
Sakura Gari, volumes 1-3 - Daaaaaamn this manga is freaking intense. It has so much stuff that I normally hate, what with it being a VERY sexually graphic and disturbing yaoi manga, and yet...I can't help but like it. Looks like I found another guilty pleasure. Plus, the artwork is amazing and beautiful. Yuu Watase has really come a long way since her early Fushigi Yuugi days.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams

Going through the series again. Can't help myself.

You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly - I like this a little better than her other book Hello Universe, but the ending doesn't resolve anything and leaves several plot threads dangling. I don't feel like the characters ever really resolved their problems, and for a book that goes on and on about an online friendship between the two leads, they barely interact at all. Oh well. It was a sweet read, and Charlotte was nice.

Imadoki! by Yuu Watase - Ugh. I'm not reading this anymore. Seriously, Watase? You have a character who not only tortures the two leads by intentionally hacking the school's network and trapping them in an elevator, possibly threatening their lives, he even THREATENS the main girl with a toy gun and gropes her breast...and by the end of the chapter, they're friendsies and all is forgiven?! NO. NOT COOL.

To Your Eternity
volumes 3 and 4 by Yoshitoki Oima - Oh yeah. This is so much better than A Silent Voice. The characters are all interesting and likeable, the story is very intriguing and is always evolving, the narrator actually has a purpose, and Oima seems to have learned from the mistakes she made in A Silent Voice, as the characters and the writing are MUCH less melodramatic and forced this time around. I actually care about the characters and their plights!...with some exceptions.

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody, for school. It's a bit of a bore thus far, I wouldn't suggest it.

Oasis: The Truth - My Life as Oasis' Drummer
Written by Tony McCarroll
Narrated by Stephen Ballantyne

8 hours long, got about 40 minutes left.

It's not great. Tony isn't a great writer, and despite the premise of him being the drummer for Oasis' first two albums, he just isn't as involved as the Gallagher brothers, so he lacks insight. Narration is fine, but the actual text is weak overall. Kind of reads like a long wikipedia article.

As obsessed as I am with Oasis, it's not a great read/

Honolulu by Alan Brennert.

Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Still one of my favorite books, and I only discovered it a few years ago!
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. While some of the characters are too stereotypically good and evil, I do genuinely like this one. I'm gonna read the sequel later.
In The Company of Crazies by Nora Raleigh Baskin. I'd like this a little better if one character didn't throw around casual slurs for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom