• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What changes to competitive do you hope to see

Reaction score
With all the new items and new moves introduced last gen and by the look of it this gen what do you hope is introduced/changed for Competitive?

Personally hoping for a special attack Intimidate. Frost bite to replace freeze and drowsy to replace sleep.

Some random ones like psychic being immune to confusion, fairy being immune to infatuation, and fire being immune to freeze...it makes no sense why they can be frozen tbh and a recent vgc match I saw had me sitting there like "It's a fire type why shouldn't it thaw immediately?"

(inhales) as a competitive player, there are many changes I would make to improve Pokémon competitive. First of all, more physical electric type moves (Wild Charge isn’t cutting it) Make Play Rough 100 percent accurate, Remove Calyrex (all forms), Ice Beam should have at least a 30 percent chance to freeze, Replace all TRs with TMs (TRs are annoying for building a competitive team), add Z moves and Mega Evolution back, Remove Dragon’s weakness to Fairy (and Fairy’s immunity), and lastly, BUFF THE BUG TYPE

(inhales) as a competitive player, there are many changes I would make to improve Pokémon competitive. First of all, more physical electric type moves (Wild Charge isn’t cutting it) Make Play Rough 100 percent accurate, Remove Calyrex (all forms), Ice Beam should have at least a 30 percent chance to freeze, Replace all TRs with TMs (TRs are annoying for building a competitive team), add Z moves and Mega Evolution back, Remove Dragon’s weakness to Fairy (and Fairy’s immunity), and lastly, BUFF THE BUG TYPE
Maybe the immunity to a resistance, but to remove the weakness is too much. Dragon was way to op without a check on it besides other dragons and water types using ice beam (let's be real no one uses ice types)
Fairy should get another weakness though because it's now to op, Bug should have been super effective against it, it went a long way for poison and steel types bug would have appreciated the buff.

It would be a competitive nightmare to have megas, z moves, dmax, and teracrystalization all in the same game

Maybe the immunity to a resistance, but to remove the weakness is too much. Dragon was way to op without a check on it besides other dragons and water types using ice beam (let's be real no one uses ice types)
Fairy should get another weakness though because it's now to op, Bug should have been super effective against it, it went a long way for poison and steel types bug would have appreciated the buff.

It would be a competitive nightmare to have megas, z moves, dmax, and teracrystalization all in the same game
You’re right about the fairy resistance instead of immunity, bug being super effective against fairy is also a needed change.

On Showdown, there is an National Dex AG tier with zmoves, megas and dmax. It’s not too much of a nightmare

I'd love to see a nerf to Stealth Rock (maybe make Rock-types absorb it by switching in, like Toxic Spikes are absorbed by Poison-types). Please, also make Gale Wings activate when the user's HP is 50% or above, finally give Head Smash to Aerodactyl as it now has no use for Rock Head (Take Down is an awful move), and replace Glaceon's Snow Cloak with Slush Rush. Also, the moves Pursuit, Jump Kick, Return/Frustration, and Signal Beam should be brought back.

Last edited:
At the very least, Knock Off should not get the damage boost if the opponent has the Sticky Hold ability, is behind a substitute or uses a Colbur Berry. I know that Shed Tail now exists but Knock Off doesn't remove the item if the target is behind a substitute so keeping the damage boost makes no sense.

What's even crazier is that one of them was introduced in generation 8 (the most recent one before Scarlet/Violet)!
And it's exclusive to Grimmsnarl! Granted, this may change in Gen 9, since most Signature Moves that were once exclusive to a single species are relatively widespread now, but still

Another competitive change I'd like to see is a buff to Galarian Stunfisk. In particular, Mimicry should only change its Ground type based on the terrain instead of both types. Not only is the ground changing because of the terrain, but the steel bear trap still remains regardless of terrain. It also deserves to have Iron Head and other moves that it can make use of in different terrains. In fact, I think even Unovan Stunfisk should have access to this buffed Mimicry.

Regieleki's Transistor should be nerfed to giving 1.3x boost to power. Currently, it can OHKO bulky Pokémon like Amoonguss with Max Lightning, and that is not okay.

I hope Rusted Sword stays in Galar. Crowned Zacian is literally the most broken Pokémon in the games, and I don't want to be dealing with it in Paldea as well. Unfortunately, that would mean Zamazenta loses access to Rusted Shield as well, but I believe Choice Band or Assault Vest is better on it anyways.

yes, PLEASE nerf transisitor. (also just wanted to point out that thankfully Pooper and Psire can counter most of the competitively viable Pokémon now, Zacian, Eleki, Incineroar) please give Psire a new evo and good base stats

• I want some changes in type effectiveness, such as giving Ice types one less weakness and one more resistance. I have many other ideas on fixing the chart, but with the type changing mechanic, an overhaul would help clean the meta quite a lot.
  • Regenerator needs to be nerfed, in that it only heals 1/8th hp. Just too strong an ability at the moment, and it drags down matches too much.
  • I pray Adaptability won't stack with the type changes. That's the main thing to look out for with the mechanic, and as long as the stacking is invalidated, Terestal crystals don't sound too broken.
  • Damaging entry hazards need to be typeless, and do only fixed damage regardless of type. I hate how the meta is so centralized around stealth rock, some cry over Heavy Duty Boots being busted. This really needs to end so that rock-weak types don't always get crippled all the time.
  • Knock Off should not get any damage bonuses from knocking off an item. Just getting rid of the item with its original damage output is already very strong. I wouldn't mind other knock-off knock off attacks of different types though.
  • I'd love a new ability for a pokemon that invalidates attack limiting items, such as choice items and assault vest. Those items are just too polarizing in my mind, and ways to nerf them specifically in a balanced manner would help the meta a lot
Just some of my thoughts here.

• Regenerator needs to be nerfed, in that it only heals 1/8th hp. Just too strong an ability at the moment, and it drags down matches too much.
This so much!
Regenerator Pokémon cores are literally the most frustrating teams to face because any and all damage on them can be quickly and so easily recovered. If the HP healed was reduced to, like, 1/6, then it would help deal with Regenerator teams so easy.
  • I pray Adaptability won't stack with the type changes. That's the main thing to look out for with the mechanic, and as long as the stacking is invalidated, Terestal crystals don't sound too broken.
As much as I pray for this, I don't think that will be the case lol. Better be prepared for Tera-boosted Adaptability Hyper Beams and Draco Meteors XD.

I hope there is an Ability introduced some day that induces the effects of Magic Room. In a metagame where each and every Pokémon relies heavily on their held items, being able to deny just that is godly. And that's why Magic Room is an underrated move, and I feel an Ability involving that might see decent usage.

I mean, an Ability inducing Embargo is just better, but that just seems a bit unbalanced and centralizing, considering each and every team would then be forced to run that Embargo summoner. Magic Room comes with a drawback to the user's team as well, so there is a trade-off there which the player can choose to lay weight on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom