• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What conditions are you most comfortable writing in?

Roulette

The People's Champion
Reaction score
When you're writing your Fanfic, stories, etc, what do you want your surroundings to be? Some people need silence, some like music, and others like ambient noises. What about you?

Personally, I like the TV on or to sit in a room with a few people in it that are talking. If a setting like that isn't available, I just turn on some music. I have to have some kind of noise, or I can't produce anything.

I sit in my room, headphones in but no music playing, and just type on my laptop.

I like to be alone, with the lights on, watching Youtube vids to get the imagination flowing. I feel weird if someone watches me write. When things are calm, I'm as productive as a Chinese man on meth.

Last edited:
I just sit in my room with the TV going in the background, usually. Sometimes I'll put on some music (generally a track from a movie score, but not always) to help put me in the mood for a specific scene.

Alone, trailer music (metal, techno, trance, etc.) blasting in the background.

I just turn my TV on, put headphones on and that way no one will bother me...

I need complete silence when writing something otherwise I can't write anything, I'm to easily distracted. (Basically, I have a disorder that makes everything very distracting.) Sometimes, I like to have my lights off so I can just see the computer screen and not anything around me. It helps a lot.

I can only write at night, when no one is anywhere nearby, and with very soft video game music playing.

I can't write during rain lol. Since im usually laying down when I write, I would just fall asleep since rain does that to me.

I've noticed that I write the most when typing on my school-issued Macbook in the comfort of my bed, most likely with the TV on in the background, rather than on the office computer, where the air conditioner constantly blasts me in the summer and it's just cold on its own in the winter.

Which is why I haven't been writing much; the school has my laptop and I won't get it back until after band camp in two weeks.

Rock music blasting on my headphones. As long as I have that, I can write for hours anywhere. Nobody is allowed to see my computer screen or notebook while I'm writing.

Internet access is good, too. If my ADD kicks in, I need something to do so I can get back to writing quickly. Internet access is also kind of required for when I'm working on Field Research and my other current project- I keep those on Google Docs.

Complete silence, which never happens in my house. So I tend to settle for soft music ok the speakers. And I've always got the Forums on a tab in case I can't focus, and Bulbapedia for appearances and movesets.

Typically, I'm also in a time crunch because the chapter that I happen to be writing is usually supposed to be up the same day (or day before) that I'm writing it...
Strangely, that makes me even more motivated and I end up writing faster than I normally would...

I like to write at night. It's more peaceful and it feel further removed from the hectic work days I have. I need mostly-complete silence, and I like complete darkness as well, so that all I see is the computer screen. Helps me get lost in my story.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom