• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What could be done for the "updated" version so as to not make the "original" version obsolete?

Reaction score
What I meant by the words in the title:
"Original" = The original pair of games in each Generation. Examples include Red/Blue, Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl
"Updated" = Some people call this the "third" version. Examples include Yellow, Emerald, and Platinum

In most Generations, there is a game that is basically an upgraded version of the the original games that was released earlier. For example, Ruby and Sapphire was released back in 2002 or 2003. Later on, Emerald was released two years after the originals. In almost every aspect, the updated games are the definitive versions, which essentially made the originals less lucrative because the updated games have more features. As an example, Pokemon Emerald has the Battle Frontier, which is basically a better version of Ruby and Sapphire's Battle Tower. Moreover, the story is a mix of the two games, so in many ways it's definitive. Another thing is the "updated" version of the games have Move Tutors, which expands the movepools of current favourites.

When it comes to the "updated" games that are released later, the issue is that there has to be a reason for people to purchase the games. This basically means that they will inevitably contain more features than the originals, which means that compared to the original games, the "updated" versions are considered the more definitive experience. This is very good for those who joined in late because certain problems that was found in earlier games were ironed out, such as glitches. On the other hand, those who already have the original(s) would have to purchase the game again to benefit from the new features. As a result, there is no reason to get the originals once the updated game was released.

Let's look at some cases on how things were handled in past Generations.

In Generation 1 for non-Japan territories, the originals were Pokemon Red and Blue, whereas the updated game was Pokemon Yellow. The plot for Yellow is almost the same as Red and Blue, save for the influences from the anime that made it a vastly different experience. As an example, Yellow allowed you to get all 3 starter Pokemon, although it also forced you to use Pikachu for your journey. It also has the interference of Jessie and James occasionally. Not only that, some Pokemon cannot be obtained normally, which amusingly includes the Pokemon Jessie and James had (Meowth, Koffing and Ekans). Therefore, there is reason for players to still get the originals, such as probably if they don't like using Pikachu as a forced party member. I am not clear on the relationship between Red/Green (originals) and Blue (updated), so I won't comment on that.

Generation 4 introduced Pokemon Diamond and Pearl as the original games, and then later on, Pokemon Platinum was released as the updated version. In terms of how much of an upgrade it is, it's as straightforward as you can get: expanded story, Move Tutors, Battle Frontier and updated mechanics. As an example on the latter, surfing is significantly faster in Platinum, which is a welcomed change. Another thing that Platinum introduced is the concept of Pokemon forms exclusive to that version. Because of this, Giratina's Origin Forme and Rotom's appliance forms are exclusive to this game and HeartGold and SoulSilver, locking out Diamond and Pearl from those features. I guess Diamond and Pearl has 70% Hypnosis and some exclusive Pokemon, but in terms of Generation 4's competitive battles, Pokemon Platinum is the standard.

For Generation 5, GameFreak did something unprecedented: they didn't release a centralised version that is basically an updated Black/White! Instead of Pokemon Gray like some people were speculating, they went with Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, which is a continuation of events from the originals. As a result, there is no retelling of the original events, which made sense since some elements are different in both versions. Of course, the updated versions have more features, so either games are the definitive versions, but it didn't completely made the originals obsolete. Those who want to go through the original story could start with those, along with those who are willing to go through the adventure using completely new Pokemon (at that time).

Generation 6 is the outlier in terms of updated versions. It didn't get a "Z" version like we thought we would, instead skipping it entirely. The updated versions winded up as the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, ironically enough. Although both sets of games are very different, the fact that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire come with Move Tutors and more Mega Evolutions made it a better version for competitive purposes due to having more options available, especially Mega Evolutions. However, the fact that X and Y are still different from the Ruby and Sapphire remakes save it from being obsolete from the remakes. To make this clear: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did not replace X and Y.

In these cases, we can see that the updated versions are pretty much better versions of the originals, so there is no big reason to get the originals, except maybe Generation 6. I feel that the only way to make the originals worthwhile is to make the originals cheaper than their upgraded counterparts, especially if the upgraded versions are the same, but better.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I really don't see the problem with the BW2 approach and why they didn't continue in that direction. It's the perfect way to both improve over the original and to not replace the original.

Also, ORAS is absolutely not an updated version of XY, it's a completely different game with a completely different region, completely different Pokemon, completely different gameplay elements, and for the most part, a completely different storyline. Sharing a handful of plot elements doesn't make something an update, there's SOOOOOOOOOO much more to updating a game than that. As it stands, XY flat out has nothing in terms of an update.

Eh. I think that Game Freak should focus on making initial versions satisfying to begin with and keep the sequel treatment for old regions.

Under special circumstances, such as what may be happening this year with the transition onto the Switch, a third version may be deemed acceptable.

Rework the idea as DLC for the initial pair

I didn't want to pay $40 for third copy of XY, but I'd have been more than willing to pay a fraction of that for additional content (something the casuals don't have to worry about)

When XY received its first download update, I immediately thought, "Oh so this is going to be the future of third versions: DLC." And I honestly would be okay with that if it was worth it price-wise! Like if the original game is $40, sure, charge us $10-20 for significant upgrades as long as they include new features, new story elements, etc.

Like, when I finished the Looker missions in XY, I was actually kind of expecting DLC that would include further post-game story like that. And when I saw that character customization was a thing, I thought, "Maybe they'll include more outfits and hair styles as DLC." But we got... nothing. They stuck with the same formula we'd had until then, only utilizing DLC for bug fixes. (I'm not complaining about the bug fixes. I like how simple bug fixes are these days.)

I wish they'd give us something more to do in S/M. At this point I just want to restart it and play again, but then I would lose my Mewnium Z because Bank can't take items and Z-crystals can't be traded. :\

When XY received its first download update, I immediately thought, "Oh so this is going to be the future of third versions: DLC." And I honestly would be okay with that if it was worth it price-wise! Like if the original game is $40, sure, charge us $10-20 for significant upgrades as long as they include new features, new story elements, etc.

Like, when I finished the Looker missions in XY, I was actually kind of expecting DLC that would include further post-game story like that. And when I saw that character customization was a thing, I thought, "Maybe they'll include more outfits and hair styles as DLC." But we got... nothing. They stuck with the same formula we'd had until then, only utilizing DLC for bug fixes. (I'm not complaining about the bug fixes. I like how simple bug fixes are these days.)

That's not even continuing the same formula. That's a regression of the formula. At least the third versions actually fixed problems with the original and gave us a much more polished experience. XY is just stuck as a mediocre single entry with all sorts of issues plaguing it and no opportunity for a fix.

Yokai Watch 3 has a pretty weird approach to expanded content: The first update was a third version, whose content was partially (mostly?) added to the initial versions for free, and the upcoming update is entirely free DLC.

Even if you just buy one of the inital versions, you still get quite a lot of free extra content between the two updates. The content is pretty deep to begin with (two settings).

Last edited:
I really don't see the problem with the BW2 approach and why they didn't continue in that direction. It's the perfect way to both improve over the original and to not replace the original.

Also, ORAS is absolutely not an updated version of XY, it's a completely different game with a completely different region, completely different Pokemon, completely different gameplay elements, and for the most part, a completely different storyline. Sharing a handful of plot elements doesn't make something an update, there's SOOOOOOOOOO much more to updating a game than that. As it stands, XY flat out has nothing in terms of an update.

Sorry if that point wasn't clear. I wasn't saying that ORAS is an updated version XY. What I mean is that it is updated in terms of the battling scene, not the atmosphere of the games. Of course both XY and ORAS are very different due to taking place in different places (and therefore having different story and activities), but what I am essentially saying is that in terms of competitive battling, ORAS offers more because it contains some new Formes and more Mega Evolutions not found in the originals, as well as having Move Tutors normally found in updated versions.

That is why I did not mention anything about ORAS replaceing XY.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry if that point wasn't clear. I wasn't saying that ORAS is an updated version XY. What I mean is that it is updated in terms of the battling scene, not the atmosphere of the games. Of course both XY and ORAS are very different due to taking place in different places (and therefore having different story and activities), but what I am essentially saying is that in terms of competitive battling, ORAS offers more because it contains some new Formes and more Mega Evolutions not found in the originals, as well as having Move Tutors normally found in updated versions.

That is why I did not mention anything about ORAS replaceing XY.

Thanks for reading.

"Update" isn't really the right word for what ORAS is either, an update is something that iterates over the original and adding in new forms and other competitive things again is only one aspect of this.

"Update" isn't really the right word for what ORAS is either, an update is something that iterates over the original and adding in new forms and other competitive things again is only one aspect of this.
I suppose you are right. In that case, I struck out my explanation of Generation 6 in the original post.

Thanks for reading.

I don't like the idea of 3rd versions,it gives gamefreak to much leeway with giving us bare areas and half finished ideas.

Everyone's OK with it because they expect the finished product in the 3rd version.

Just make new guy realized games and do remakes when their a decade old

I don't like the idea of 3rd versions,it gives gamefreak to much leeway with giving us bare areas and half finished ideas.

Everyone's OK with it because they expect the finished product in the 3rd version.

Just make new guy realized games and do remakes when their a decade old

Ideally yes, but sometimes that's simply not possible. If they have a lot of work to do building the graphical engine or porting it to a particular console, they might not have time to include enough content. XY was likely a casualty of this, the transition to 3D graphics was a big step for them and they may not have been able to provide as much content and would've needed a third version.

For Generation 5, GameFreak did something unprecedented: they didn't release a centralised version that is basically an updated Black/White! Instead of Pokemon Gray like some people were speculating, they went with Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, which is a continuation of events from the originals. As a result, there is no retelling of the original events, which made sense since some elements are different in both versions. Of course, the updated versions have more features, so either games are the definitive versions, but it didn't completely made the originals obsolete. Those who want to go through the original story could start with those, along with those who are willing to go through the adventure using completely new Pokemon (at that time).
I think this is the best way to do it - sequels (or prequels). That way, the original versions would also have a purpose and a selling point.

Although it's not likely that GameFreak will release any Gen 3 or later Pokemon games on Virtual Console (Gen 2 is probable mainly due to incompatibility with Gen 3 onwards), I wonder how they will sell the Gen 3 and Gen 4 games, mainly because generally Emerald and Platinum is considered the better games compared to the twin versions of their respective Generations. I doubt there's much reason to get the twin versions of the games if all are at the same price, unlike Red/Blue/Yellow.

Thanks for reading.

Although it's not likely that GameFreak will release any Gen 3 or later Pokemon games on Virtual Console (Gen 2 is probable mainly due to incompatibility with Gen 3 onwards), I wonder how they will sell the Gen 3 and Gen 4 games, mainly because generally Emerald and Platinum is considered the better games compared to the twin versions of their respective Generations. I doubt there's much reason to get the twin versions of the games if all are at the same price, unlike Red/Blue/Yellow.

Thanks for reading.
I would agree that there wouldn't be a reason to get RS since Emerald has way more content. But if you're a huge Steven Stone fan like me... I might just consider getting one with him as the champion because Emerald only let's you battle him once :/ Arguably, I could just save before battling him in Meteor Falls, and soft-reset after each battle - but it just doesn't feel the same.

Although it's not likely that GameFreak will release any Gen 3 or later Pokemon games on Virtual Console (Gen 2 is probable mainly due to incompatibility with Gen 3 onwards), I wonder how they will sell the Gen 3 and Gen 4 games, mainly because generally Emerald and Platinum is considered the better games compared to the twin versions of their respective Generations.
Crystal is definitely the best game of its generation. I doubt there will be a price difference, though. Nostalgia sells no matter what and more people played the initial versions.

Crystal is definitely the best game of its generation. I doubt there will be a price difference, though. Nostalgia sells no matter what and more people played the initial versions.

Right, and you still have version-exclusives. To use your example, Crystal doesn't have Mareep, and Ampharos is a fairly popular Gen 2 Pokémon as well as a conveniently early Electric-type option. You also have to work a lot harder to get Ho-Oh in Crystal than you do in Gold or even Silver.

Granted, Emerald doesn't lack much that would be missed, but at least in principle, it helps make them "equal."

I wonder, if they ever did release Diamond and Pearl on the VC, would they fix the general sluggishness of those games? They didn't fix as much in RBY as I expected them to.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom