• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

I actually prefer smaller rosters. They're usually more quality Pokemon and it's less of a hassle to remember them all. And they will not be 'running out of concepts' again and again.

Agreed. I'm totally content with getting like 70 Pokémon for new generations. Honestly, I think they should've followed that pattern since Gen 2.

Dunno why 1000 pokemon is the 'death to the franchise' number. There's more than 1000 species of animal in the world and nature hasn't decided to pack things up yet.

Apparently people are deciding that there are too many Pokemon and the franchise should end before it becomes overwhelming.

I dunno if I could ever understand that. We never have every pokemon available in one region and thanks to pokemon bank all you have to do is catch them all once and then toss any new ones into the hoard box afterwards if that's your jam.

I suppose I'm just indifferent because I like high numbers of things... plus as a fan of Digimon I can't help but laugh at the idea of there being too many pokemon. :') at least all the pokemon are unique and not recolors... besides the kami trio anyway. >-> They should have been introduced in their animal forms as their only forms.

People are starting to think there are too many new Pokémon?
Lol, all I want them to do is to add 198 Pokémon next gen to complete the 1000 Pokés goal, and then be like "AND WE ARE JUST STARTING UP, THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF TOTAL POKÉMON ARE ON THE MILLIONS!"

I also prefer a smaller amount of new pokemon without that many legendary and especially pairs like Plusle/Minum, Throh/Sawk etc. Also Gen V had too many pokemon which should resemble Gen I Pokemon. Also not a fan off. Perfect number would be 100 pokemon with 7-8 legendary pokemon. I like more unique but not to overdesigned pokemon hence why I like the even numbered generation (2,4,6) the best in terms of design

I think that several Sinnoh Pokemon are overdesigned (cross-generational evolutions and legendaries), but I'll give you Kalos if you ignore the 28 Mega Evolutions... Overall, Game Freak have wanky ideas for forms and legendaries if they go overboard with the quantity.

I dislike the Ultra Beasts. They could have made cool bosses, but Pokemon? Way to centralize the metagame for 7 ugly "Pokemon" (Nihilego is fine).

I dislike the Ultra Beasts. They could have made cool bosses, but Pokemon? Way to centralize the metagame for 7 ugly "Pokemon" (Nihilego is fine).
I think they could have been strange Pokemon that are only catchable in a Beast Ball and freely roam the strange and distorted landscape of Ultra Space, but I was so disappoint.

Ehhh, honestly I would prefer no more than 2-3 legendaries per 100 Pokémon.

I also like less legendary pokemon and instead more normal pokemon but two are needed for the cover and some mythicals 1-2 mythicals at least for as movie pokemon. If there's also another pokemon like Rayquaza, Giratina etc. building a trio with the cover legends and 2-4 other legendary you can catch somewhere else, then it's already 9-10.

Well we got at least five per gen so only 2-3 is unrealistic.

We don't need a third mascot or a trio, to be honest. One mythical would suffice, too.

Two mascots and one mythical are all we need at this point; Kalos didn't need Diancie, Volcanion or Zygarde. Game Freak have so many past legendaries to use.

Last edited:
I also like less legendary pokemon and instead more normal pokemon but two are needed for the cover and some mythicals 1-2 mythicals at least for as movie pokemon. If there's also another pokemon like Rayquaza, Giratina etc. building a trio with the cover legends and 2-4 other legendary you can catch somewhere else, then it's already 9-10.

Well we got at least five per gen so only 2-3 is unrealistic.

Like Silktree said, and I agree, there are so many past legendary Pokémon to rely on. Sure, I can get behind the need for 2 box mascot legendaries (however, there's no reason they couldn't break this pattern--Gen I used starters, for example). And we really don't need more than 1 mythical. 2 would be plenty. Movies could always star past legendaries, non-mythical legendaries like the birds and the beasts and the golems. or non-legends like Lucario and Zoroark did. We've been getting a needlessly large pool of legendary/mythical Pokémon since Gen III/IV. Outside of the box mascots and 1 mythical, there's nothing else we really need. So 3 would suffice. Ever going above 5-6 is just bad imo. Roughly 7% of all Pokémon are mythical/legendaries, and that's fucking insane. There's no reason for it to even be above 1-2%. Come on.

I find it ridiculous that a lot of people seem to think that this generation only has a year left in it just because Marshadow is already being distributed. It is not as if there are all these legendaries that could get new forms in USUM or anything...

It is possible that Game Freak want to move onto the Switch next year, but they certainly don't have to just for the sake of a new mythical.

I expect Gen VIII in 2018 is likely, but I could also see it taking them until 2019.

If they release the next generation next year, it will probably be a rushed mess. But hey, that could very well happen.

A shame that it would still probably mean Generation IX for the 25th anniversary rather than Kanto/Johto sequels...

If they release the next generation next year, it will probably be a rushed mess. But hey, that could very well happen.

A shame that it would still probably mean Generation IX for the 25th anniversary rather than Kanto/Johto sequels...

I could see it potentially being:

2019: Gen VIII
2020: DP remakes
2021 (25th anniversary): Kanto remake/sequel

EDIT: Though I agree with Silktree that this is probably too crowded. I find it more likely that we get Not-Gen VIII in 2018, break 2019, Gen VIII 2020, Sinnoh 2021

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom