• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

Will comment now after finishing the main story:

-Customization needs improvement, more selection of hairstyles and such is needed.

-The PSS being removed, it was way convenient and useful and Festival Plaza just isnt so.

-I had a real hard time finding the new Pokemon, they seemed like they had lower encounter rates than old ones and it bugged me immensely. New Pokemon should get priority in a new gen.

-Gladion didnt show up enough and I wanted to see more from him.

Thats all I got for now.

-I had a real hard time finding the new Pokemon, they seemed like they had lower encounter rates than old ones and it bugged me immensely. New Pokemon should get priority in a new gen.

I can confirm that. I was doing a blind type locked nuzlocke and in the end ditched the 'first Pokemon on route of your permitted type' rule because all I was getting was Kanto Pokemon! I just did it so I could only catch one pokemon of my permitted types per route (which was Fire, Poison, Dark, Steel and Fighting). I didn't want to do my first adventure, especially nuzlocke, of SM with no new Pokemon when I had been avoiding spoilers for months.

Another minor complaint I have was that not all of the evolution lines have Alolan forms, I found it very strange that Cubone didn't have a Alolan form but its evolution does. Also some designs for the Alolan Pokemon are... questionable. (looking at you Golem)

-Gladion didnt show up enough and I wanted to see more from him.

Completely agree. Gladion had a lot of potential, especially with that Type:Null and there was such a missed opportunity with him being a double agent in Team Skull.

This may be me personally but I feel writing has taken such a huge step back since Gen 5. BW were very well written, while SM is a huge step up from XY's 'writing' it still had more potential. At least they didn't neglect the villain this time... just Gladion and Hau suffered from not being in the story enough or (especially in Hau's case) enough character development.

Minor thing, but no Bellossom native to Alola.

:/

I think there were a lot of "Sun" and "Moon" Pokemon that could have easily filled in the Alola Pokedex.

Solrock/Lunatone, Bellossom/Vileplume just to name a few

oh to avoid a pointless post warning: I'm really disliking how long it's taking for the Pokemon Bank to update. I learned a lot of "what ifs" and "donts" during the first playthrough and I'm ready for a second attempt in both games. I already bread my teams for both games *eye roll*

Last edited:
Some of my problems with Sun and Moon are:
  • Lack of trainer customization options, for the male character especially. I really do like the trainer customization feature, I think it adds a touch of individualism to the games, but when most of your options are sleeveless tanks (that mostly seem to be sports themed) and tacky pants of any variety it severely limits that feeling. I know it's a tropical region, but I still like my sleeves. Speaking of tropical, why isn't there any tropical style shirts, like the ones the gentleman trainers have? And why is the only shirt that comes close only in Sun (same goes for the matching pants too)? The fact that the cloths are split between the games doesn't help; all of the "generic" cloths come in all the colors of the rainbow, but you'll only get to select from half the rainbow. I guess that's why the white colored cloths are in both, so you can take it to a dye booth in the festival plaza. Also would it be to much to ask GF to give the male character a bigger selection of hair styles? The male character only has 6 hair styles vs the female character's 8 (4 vs 6 in XY).
  • Not being able to re-battle trainers. This factor ALONE lends itself to several others issues with Sun and Moon. In Black and White you couldn't re-battle most of the trainers, but at least you had the stadiums.
  • Hyper training is very nice, if you get past the fact that it can only be done with lv. 100 Pokemon, in a game where you can't re-battle almost all of the trainers and the highest level wild Pokemon you're going to find are just about lv. 60.
  • If you're getting your Pokemon to lv. 100 it's going to take resources, so you better go to a pokemart to stock up, but where are you going to get the money to do so? You beat all the trainers in the game, and there's only a small amount of trainers you can battle that'll give you money. I could just about count them on one hand! Not to mention that they're all rather strong too! Though GF did seem to think about this, since you can find pearls (of various sizes) almost any where in the region; though if they knew of the problem I don't get why they didn't just put in a vs. seeker or something like that.
  • GF if you're going to introduce the mechanic of SOS battles don't have it be annoying and tedious to "cash in" your prize. It would also be nice if you didn't have 1% call rate Pokemon be at a level where they can have a self damaging/ killing move (realized that issue this morning when I SOS battled until I got a Politoad to show up, and the turn after I fainted it's partner Pokemon it used parish song. Luckily for me a critical capture saved the day, but other people may not be as lucky as I was). Now SOS battles where made with the ability to, after some time, increase the odds of getting a shiny Pokemon (among other things), and how some abilities increase the odds of a wild Pokemon calling for help was added (I HIGHLY doubt unknowingly) means that they knew people would use this method to get shiny Pokemon. No big deal, GF has introduced ways to increase your chances of finding a shiny Pokemon in the past, what's the problem here? Well before it ether didn't matter what Pokemon you used (like in horde battles where you're just getting 5 rolls for a shiny vs the usual 1 roll, and that was just the nature of it) or it was super easy to get the perfect Pokemon for a certain shiny hunting method through just having a certain Pokemon hold a certain item or know a certain move (like for chain fishing, where it's best to have a Pokemon with ether the sticky hold or suction cups ability in the front of your party, maybe holding a smoke ball), with SOS battles though, there's no truly "perfect" Pokemon to use for SOS battles, there's a few Pokemon that are great for SOS battles, like Absol, Weavile, and Smeargle; however none of them are truly perfect for SOS battles. They're all weak to fighting, so good luck using SOS battles to get Lucario, when Riolu's favorite move to use is final gambit, which faints it instantly, to boost! I will say that Weavile comes close to being perfect for SOS battles, but it lacks any way of learning a move that can paralyze or put to sleep a Pokemon, now it's able to learn foresight (which helps when SOS battling ghost types) and assist (which if you have only one other Pokemon in your party and it's only moves it knows ether paralyzes or puts to sleep a Pokemon, which helps Weavile get past it's fore mentioned problem) through breeding, but you're not always going to need those moves, and once you Weavile forgets them it won't be able to relearn them again. So when GF came up with SOS battles, could they have come up with a Pokemon that's purpose is to perfect for SOS battles? Allow it to naturally learn moves like false swipes, foresight, a paralyzing/ sleeping move, the weather moves, protect, and psych up, have it's abilities be Pressure or Unnerve and it's hidden ability be Intimidate, and have it be a ghost type so if it's not the Pokemon you to SOS battle you can escape no questions asked!

So it turns out the nice guy who helped me develop the isles in Poké Pelago?

He's the husband of Lusamine...who fell into a wormhole years ago...which led to her becoming obsessed with Ultra Beasts, abusing her children, and almost destroying the planet.

Nice going, genius.

So it turns out the nice guy who helped me develop the isles in Poké Pelago?

He's the husband of Lusamine...who fell into a wormhole years ago...which led to her becoming obsessed with Ultra Beasts, abusing her children, and almost destroying the planet.

Nice going, genius.

Yeah, you see, this was another thing I didn't like about this game. Not putting you on the spot PCP, but you pointed out something that really got on my nerves as I went along. Something I'm sure I mentioned but never made a "point" persay: All this damn "tell but don't show".

We literally don't know the kind of person Lusamine was before all this. And going by the words of her kids (who would be a bit biased) and how she talked to Lillie before being whited out she seemed like she was far from mother of the year even before the whole lost her husband or symbiote thing came into play.

Then there's effin' Hau. Now, I like Hau, he just made a stronger impression on me as a true blue buddy and travel companion in the demo. This kid is the master of tell but don't show. Any one savvy enough with anime would probably tell he's probably got some issues with living in old Hala's shadow (this putting the dropped NPC talk about Hala not wanting to scare Hau with his anger again aside) but I'd have rather let this show in time than have Gladion spell it out and without Hau being around no less. Since as far as any carefree kid would think: Hau has his goals but is simply marching by the beat of his own drum about it.
His crush on Lillie? Came out of effin' nowhere. The drop about his dad (and further family issues) unnecessary and a cheap way to not only shill Kanto (like it really needed more of that) but also indirectly make a declaration of war towards the PC who he thinks, once topped will allow him to make all his dreams come true when the only thing visibly stopping him from doing that is his himself.

I (well PC me anyway) would've been: "Hey man, if you wanna be all creep towards the girl you like that's fine but breaking beyond the super absolute galaxies limit in battle and trying to prove something to yourself are two different things."

Last edited:
Yeah, you see, this was another thing I didn't like about this game. Not putting you on the spot PCP, but you pointed out something that really got on my nerves as I went along. Something I'm sure I mentioned but never made a "point" persay: All this damn "tell but don't show".

We literally don't know the kind of person Lusamine was before all this. And going by the words of her kids (who would be a bit biased) and how she talked to Lillie before being whited out she seemed like she was far from mother of the year even before the whole lost her husband or symbiote thing came into play.

Then there's effin' Hau. Now, I like Hau, he just made a stronger impression on me as a true blue buddy and travel companion in the demo. This kid is the master of show but don't tell. Any one savvy enough with anime would probably tell he's probably got some issues with living in old Hala's shadow (this putting the dropped NPC talk about Hala not wanting to scare Hau with his anger again aside) but I'd have rather let this show in time than have Gladion spell it out and without Hau being around no less. Since as far as any carefree kid would think: Hau has his goals but is simply marching by the beat of his own drum about it.
His crush on Lillie? Came out of effin' nowhere. The drop about his dad (and further family issues) unnecessary and a cheap way to not only shill Kanto (like it really needed more of that) but also indirectly make a declaration of war towards the PC who he thinks, once topped will allow him to make all his dreams come true when the only thing visibly stopping him from doing that is his himself.

I (well PC me anyway) would've been: "Hey man, if you wanna be all creep towards the girl you like that's fine but breaking beyond the super absolute galaxies limit in battle and trying to prove something to yourself are two different things."
Apparently the budget for storytelling was a bit thin.

Oh.
Discovered another thing that bothers me oh so much.
So, on the Poke Pelago, you guys probally puts the pokemon on an expedition, go do something else, and comes back after it has finished, right?
Well, I decided to see what happens when you wait for them to come back.
THEY JUST POP INTO EXISTENCE! THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO MAKE A COMING BACK ANIMATION.
You can also see that when Pokebeans runs out while you are there. It doesn't empty it suddenly, it just stays full until you click on it.

I'm thinking that the encounter rates are biased on your favor. I got Bonsly, Passimian and Jangmo-o in 1 or 2 battles, and in the latter 2 I actually wasn't looking for them.

Another think I disliked is that all that Squishy gets is one small picture that only appears once. I didn't expect much but after all the attention it had in the anime it should have had at least one overworld sprite. My personal wish was for it to be available in Poke Refresh.

I didn't like how there was only 300 Pokemon in the regional dex. (and 19 of them were legendary or "special" in some way)

It made the later islands feel like a rehash of what we had seen on previous islands. It's a good thing the new Pokemon were so good or I think the lack of variety would have been a lot more noticeable.

Also I don't like how we don't get the national dex. That just doesn't feel right.

Also I don't like how we don't get the national dex. That just doesn't feel right.[/QUOTE]

Completing the national dex gave me at least a reason to continuously play the previous games. Also, I dislike that "Looker" missions are basically the new post-game event. Give us an epilogue kind of thing like the Delta Episode, which really wasn't a true epilogue, but it provided some excitement beyond beating the Elite 4 and becoming Champion.

I didn't like how there was only 300 Pokemon in the regional dex. (and 19 of them were legendary or "special" in some way)

It made the later islands feel like a rehash of what we had seen on previous islands. It's a good thing the new Pokemon were so good or I think the lack of variety would have been a lot more noticeable.
I don't think its that the Dex is small, it's these distributions and encounter rates...300 is about the same size as the Dex in BW2, which plenty of people liked for how diverse it was. But in Alola, too many new Pokemon have abysmal encounter rates, and then common mons like Raticates, Gumshoos, Pelippers, Zubats and Tentacools are basically everywhere possible. Not to mention all of the species who are locked behind SOS Battles...Or areas which really are just older locations with higher level Pokemon, like Vast Poni Canyon reusing the mons from Ten Caret Hill, or the 'Meadow' areas having the same families. I think these sorts of things make it feel smaller than it actually is.

Last edited:
Another think I disliked is that all that Squishy gets is one small picture that only appears once. I didn't expect much but after all the attention it had in the anime it should have had at least one overworld sprite. My personal wish was for it to be available in Poke Refresh.
The anime and the games are going to differ a lot, and that can apply to plenty of characters and locations. (Misty and Brock got a lot of attention in the anime, and they didn't get anything extra even in Pokemon Yellow) Considering its plot was in the anime for the previous generation, I don't think it's exactly surprising that there's not much featured about it.

You know, I appreciate the sentiment of your Pokemon getting critical hits in hopes of being praised, but it really is not doing me any favors when I'm trying to catch something.

I might be asking for too much, but I wish there was a way to get Beast Balls after the Looker post-game. I heard you can't get any more of them once you complete all the missions, but I want to fill the dex :/

I might be asking for too much, but I wish there was a way to get Beast Balls after the Looker post-game. I heard you can't get any more of them once you complete all the missions, but I want to fill the dex :/
...Beast Balls won't help you any there. They have a 0.1x catch rate on regular Pokemon.

Actually you can. Give all your Beast Balls to Pokémon to hold, and then talk to Looker in the motel on Melemele. He will think you have none and give you one more, which you can then give to another Pokémon, and then get another one, etc. I've heard this option is still available after completing Looker's mission.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom