• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

It's like in TV shows where the man is trying to save the woman from the monster.

I sometimes feel we (Trainers) are monsters.
Well, I kinda get where that's coming from, but saving someone from danger isn't a gender-based thing. Plus, a lot of games talk about how Pokemon like battling, and the Sinnoh games talked about how Pokemon willingly go after trainers-they're not in danger, they're just hoping to get stronger.

No PSS, no Friend Safari (can't find anything saying it's in the games), no DexNav, No Horde Battles, no Super Training.

I have been putting up with this crap for several years now and i'm really close to just flip. This isn't directed at the games but at the logic GF uses for this. Removing features between gens for no other reason than to make the previous generation more "unique". Why can't we have a generation with all the features from the previous games plus the new ones? Or even better, improve the old ones while introducing new ones. Is it because of space? I can understand if it's because of lack of space, but be creative.

It's a shame because there are things i like in these games, but just this logic of just removing stuff between gens is starting to grind my gears to dust.

I think it has been more difficult to find online battles with the Plaza. Through the Plaza, you have to select a person you think may battle and wait for them to respond. While the gist is more or less the same with PSS, the PSS was much faster at executing it. You also had more people you could battle and they didn't have to be "Guests/Friends" in order to battle.

Plus it's also tedious having to go to an area in order to wifi battle (akin to the link rooms from earlier generations), rather than being able to do it anywhere like with the PSS.

I installed Pokémon X after I got Moon, I remarked the former has a friendlist.

Well, I kinda get where that's coming from, but saving someone from danger isn't a gender-based thing. Plus, a lot of games talk about how Pokemon like battling, and the Sinnoh games talked about how Pokemon willingly go after trainers-they're not in danger, they're just hoping to get stronger.

I can't wait for a Sinnoh remake!

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep forgetting to add this, but I hate that effectiveness shown in the battle screen is not an optional thing. I get that a lot of people find it useful and I wouldn't want to see it completely removed, but I'd like to be able to turn it off as I like to think about which move to use myself and "super effective" screaming at me in bright colors doesn't really give me that opportunity. Yes, I already know most type matchups, but I still like the part where I have to think about it for a minute, cause now it doesn't feel like I earn the battles I win, as the game has told me how to do it :/

I also quite hate Festival Coins. It's fine when you just have to pay 10 FC for some facilities, but as soon as you want a fashion item or a facility from someone else, you often need hundreds of FC and you only get like 20-40 per mission. Yesterday I bought a 4-star lottery shop from someone and it cost me 800 FC, I've been playing missions for two days for that and I never want to see another mission again :cry: Just give us the opportunity to pay with FC or pokédollars, especially since some fashion items and facilities are bloody version exclusive. Also the amount of coins you need to gain the ranks you need for basic customization of your Plaza, like naming it, choosing the music, and choosing the castle's design, is just ridiculous. Something like that should really just be available from the start.

Removing features between gens for no other reason than to make the previous generation more "unique".

I THINK that they are adding different ideas that they have, and trying to see what people like best. I'm hoping that, one day, GF will make that one perfect game, with all the perfect features from the games.

Or I'm just dreaming. Probally that.

But still, they do have to try and inovate in each and every generation, else we just have another series like Call Of Duty: same engine, same game, just updated graphics and some new guns and maps. The point GF is missing is to make the new game better by adding in MORE features on top of what already exists, and not replacing features that people like by other that may be hit-or-miss, like SOS Battles.

Just finished the main story and I gotta say that I agree with those that dislike that Lillie gave away Nebby to you. It's the getting Korrina's Lucario all over again, I don't want Pokémon that someone else is attached to, that's just painful :/ Especially since I boxed it ^^;

And her excuse doesn't even make sense, since she says she wants to travel and stuff, and then says Nebby should go to you or else it won't get to see the world :/ You're the one going to Kanto, Lillie, while I'm not getting off these islands.

I would've liked it better if you just got the second Cosmog from someone and you had to evolve it all the way yourself. Would make me feel less guilty about not naming it Nebby too. I guess they want you to have the Legendary before taking on the League, but I really would've preferred it that way.

I'd say that it's even more depressing than getting Korrina's Lucario since we saw how much Lillie cared for Cosmog throughout the storyline. They were really close and while I understand what they were doing, it still felt so sad that Lillie couldn't keep it. I do like that your character still offers to give the Pokeball to Lillie after the capture, but the logic does seem a bit flawed. I even thought to myself "Lillie, you deserve Solgaleo more than I do. Live the dream of every ten year old and have a Legendary Pokemon as your starter Pokemon!" It is a very sweet gesture from Lillie that she wants Nebby to stay with your character and it does show more of her own growth, but it was so sad. I would have much rather had the option of getting my own Cosmog after the game and letting Lillie keep Solgaleo/Lunala instead.

The Restaurants...

I mean thanks for the Heart Scales, but.

Back in Lumiose City you could net tons of Exp. and piles of cash for as long as you needed in the post-game. Le Wow was a gold mine. Would've been great to have some kind of equivalent considering the Lv.100 requirement for Hyper Training. Battle Buffet is cute, but less rewarding...

I am still surprised that we didn't get more battle restaurants given how many there are within Alola. As much as I dislike the idea of paying money to level grind, I still say that this is the only time that would have worked when there is pretty much no way to run out of money. There are Pokemon catching missions throughout the game, you can do the Pyukumuku mission every day, you get a ton of money after the Ultra Beast storyline, finding high priced items within the game is super easy, you can transfer high priced items from the demo and finding treasure within Poke Palego is pretty easy too. If there was ever a game in the series that could justify having Battle Restaurants, this would be it. I have more money in both games than I know what to do with. Even Double Battle themed restaurants would have been fine.

Half of the mega stones not being in the game at release, some of them being my favourites. You get the stones for the Kanto Starters but you can't get Venusaur and Blastoise and the only way to get Charizard is through some QR scanner thing. Basically, you have to wait over 2 months to use any of the megas you like that are not in the game.

Also, i wasn't expecting exactly new megas, but i still can't feel not dissapointed. I know they wanted to focus more on the Ultra Beasts and Alolan mons, still feel somewhat sad about no new megas. I can excuse this, to an extent.

Alolan pokemon being only Gen 1 mons. At this point, Kanto is being refferenced and shoved in the games so much that the word became meaningless. I no longer hear Kanto or read the word Kanto, i only hear a sound or a weird combination of letters. It gotten so bad that i get happy when the game references other regions. It makes me happy that the games acknowledge the existence of other regions. Also, are you telling me that only a few Gen 1 mons adapt to Alola climate? All the other mons didn't adapt or at least some more didn't? I wasn't expecting 100 Alolan forms but some more would have been better and specially from other gens. I may have complained about the over representation of Kanto mons with the megas, but at least there were megas for mons of other gens.

A minor thing, but if we have the Rotom Pokédex, why can't we catch Rotom in the game?

Because the Dex Rotom would get jealous. Imagine you liking the Rotom you battle with more than your Dex one, you know he'd hate that ;)

Seriously though, the Rotom Dex is advertized as being a rare thing, so not being able to just catch a Rotom in Alola actually makes sense imo.

Also it's stated that the rotom dex was developed in Kalos, not Alola. You only get it when the last shipment of apecialized parts comes in to Kukui's lab from Kalos - he mentions that he wanted you to have it since you're new to alola. Since the pc starts the island challenge literally before they finish unpacking their moving boxes kukui figured they could use a little extra help getting acclimated to the region

I've just found this out, but it's now impossible to use certain moves outside of the field of battle in these games.

I.e. there are times in which I raise a Blissey specifically to have her be an injectable health tank to heal my main forces via SoftBoiled. In Sun/Moon, I can no longer do that anymore...

I can add one more thing to hate about Sun and Moon. the Impermanence of Pickup. Of the three lines that have th eability, one only has it a s an Hidden Ability and they all lose it when evolving to the final stage or earlier. Rather annoying IMO.

Ash Greninja , they could have made it have more bulk (def +5 and sp. def+5) and allow ability to work in a diffrent way.
Not that you need to take down a pokemon but rather % that are based on hapines , taking down a pokemon and using moves (maybe beeing on the field longer then 1 turn would work well)

Last edited:
Overall the games are great, but what really gets to me are:
* having to level up to 100 to use Bottle Caps, in spite of the fact that getting there is really slow (this is where I REALLY miss my Blissey filled secret bases in ORAS)
* no O-powers or anything to replace it, you know, to make that aforementioned level 100 thing easier, or to get more money to buy the obscenely expensive clothes
* in X/Y, communicating with someone was much easier. In S/M, it's a little more difficult.
* I dislike the method of upgrading the facilities you host in the Festival Plaza, either by ranking up or by talking to someone, both relying on a lot of luck. And I get the feeling that the 5 star Lotteries are not any likelier to give you the top prize than the 1 star ones. I have 3 five star lotteries and all week the best prize I got was an Ultra Ball.

Forgot to mention one big one. I hate how there's no way to get a Sensu Oricorio before beating the game outside of trading. Why on earth did they put Poni Meadow past an area you can't get to before becoming champion? You can get to the other locations and catch 3 forms before the post game just fine, but the last one isn't accessible. That's just nonsensical. There's not even a way to get the nectar. At the very least, if they for whatever reason wanted to block Poni Meadow before beating the game, they could have made some NPC who could give you Purple Nectar, but they didn't even do that. But what makes this issue super annoying is that Dancer Carla has a Sensu Oricorio in Poni Wilds so of course I fight her and assume I can catch the Pokemon nearby somewhere. Nope. This really bothered me because this was a Pokemon I wanted to use a soon as it was revealed and I was so annoyed that I had to halt my game play and go out of my way to trade with someone just to get it. Well, luckily I found someone pretty fast. Still shouldn't have had to do it at all though:/

Another thing, I hate how you can only get one Apricorn Ball each. I've wanted the Apricorn balls to be accessible outside of Johto for so long and they finally did it, but I'm terrified to use these things in the fear that if I screw up and the ball fails that I've just wasted it and it's gone forever. For the few times that I have used them, I saved the game before going to actually look for the Pokemon so that if it failed, I could just reset and try again. That's so annoying. Why couldn't they sell them in Maile City? They mentioned several times that the City was influenced by Johto. I thought it would have been a really nice touch if they let you by the Apricorn Balls there.

Overall the games are great, but what really gets to me are:
* having to level up to 100 to use Bottle Caps, in spite of the fact that getting there is really slow (this is where I REALLY miss my Blissey filled secret bases in ORAS)
* no O-powers or anything to replace it, you know, to make that aforementioned level 100 thing easier, or to get more money to buy the obscenely expensive clothes
* in X/Y, communicating with someone was much easier. In S/M, it's a little more difficult.
* I dislike the method of upgrading the facilities you host in the Festival Plaza, either by ranking up or by talking to someone, both relying on a lot of luck. And I get the feeling that the 5 star Lotteries are not any likelier to give you the top prize than the 1 star ones. I have 3 five star lotteries and all week the best prize I got was an Ultra Ball.

ALL OF THIS.

And 'little more difficult' is the understatement of the year. I have not found my friends, where the hell are my friends. HOW DO I TRADE WITH MY FRIENDS?! Wasn't even explained in the game, I'm obviously going to have to look it up.

Now SM has been out for longer... and I've finished the main game... all I'm left with is poor design choices. (exaggeration but this gen is awful for raising competitive Pokemon which is what I did in the 6th gen)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom