• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

I liked that more Pokémon got their stats updated, I think some could have been beefed up a little more. Especially Delcatty. It should have gotten another 10 or 20 points to its attack or special attack. GF missed a chance to make one of the most disappointing Pokémon usable.

Last edited:
Going off a similar line of thinking as swiftfox above, I did like the buffs this gen (they felt bigger than XY's +10s) however there is one in particular I don't like.

Ariados: +10 to a stat, Swords Dance and a signature move
Ledian: ... Air Slash

I'm a big Ledian fan and I wish for it to see some heavy buffs someday, but this felt like more Ledian mockery from Game Freak after they already gave it Iron Fist with its base 35 Attack. :( Not that a signature move and +10 would even save Ledian, but it would be a nice start.

I do like the ideas in Sun and Moon Games, but what I didn't like that it is easy to handle these ideas. It is not a short story, and so quickly you can finish the story, and game.

- Festival Plaza. That thing can rot; the PSS was far more user-friendly.
- Too easy. Please GameFreak, just give us an optional hard mode that isn't post-game and version exclusive.
- Zygarde being unceremoniously shoe-horned in.
- A lot of Pokémon having stupid rarities, despite the low number of new species (Mareanie, Dhelmise etc)
- Grinding levels is a pain in the bum post-game.
- The frame rate. It's more workable on a New 3DS, but still needs improving.
- Nanu is too perfect a character to be wasted on a story-light franchise like Pokémon :p

I mentioned this in my blog, but the battle animations are forced on when you team up with a friend (real life friend) in Battle Tree Multis.

We both had battle animations off individually - why can't the game recognize that and keep the battle animations off?? It would have saved us a lot of time. While I was impressed with some of the new battle animations, it would have been really helpful if they could have at least given us an option to turn on/off the battle animations instead of forcing it on.

that Teleport only works better when its a Z-move, it should really work regular like Detect+let the user gain priority next turn, but make it fail if repeated as a combo to much.

that Bulletproof should have block more moves like those that are projectile like based like ice shard, icycle spear, Pin Missile (rockets, blasts) and those with ball, canon and blast mentioned in their Descriptions ; dex entries like Earth Power, Fire Blast...
Eruptions are like explosions or blasts or not? (natural ones but are a form of blast)

Earth Power- The user makes the ground under the foe "erupt" with power.
Fire Blast- A fiery blast that scorches all. May cause a burn.*
A powerful fire attack that may burn the foe.
* The target is attacked with an intense "blast" of all-consuming fire. This may also leave the target with a burn.
this is from bulbapedia, the descriptions from pokemon SM.

I know its Japanese meaning but send-off fire, but in the games and anime you can see thats its a blast and that then the user is hurled with fire or that the blast moves roughly the foe like a expplosion and burns it.

Last edited:
-while lillie is a dear sweet girl for some, i hated her. she felt way too clingy and annoying and honestly i just skipped all her lines that weren't too plot-important.
-crabominable is a crabomination. why does its design have to be so horrible

I liked that more Pokémon got their stats updated, I think some could have been beefed up a little more. Especially Delcatty. It should have gotten another 10 or 20 points to its attack or special attack. GF missed a chance to make one of the most disappointing Pokémon usable.
And Lanturn didn't get a buff at all. Though Life Orb Lanturns started appearing in Showdown randoms this generation, for some reason. (EDIT: And Life Orb Delcatty.)

(Tangent: I managed to sweep most of someone's team in a random battle once using a Chimecho, which lead me to discover it got buffed. And back when I started out, I liked using Delcatty as a discount Blissey in lower tiers.)

As for what I didn't like about Sun and Moon... um... I know this sounds nitpicky, but it weirded me out how all the TVs only had advertisements for malasada.

Last edited:
I tried to go through the Battle Tree a couple of weeks ago, but it was way too hard. I think I only got eight victories before losing. The Battle Tower like facilities are supposed to be challenging, but they just drop you right into hard mode right away, which is pretty different from how the game itself makes things ridiculously easy for players. There still shouldn't be so many trainers with one Pokemon on them in the whole game. I've heard of teams you can make to get through the Battle Tree, but I find it super disappointing that I may not be able to get through it with the teams I've gone through the main storyline with. Plus, it will also still make getting Battle Points incredibly long and tedious.

The level grinding isn't as bad as I thought with using the Lucky Egg and Experience Share. My Primarina is almost at level one hundred. I think it also helps that the challenger can be different every time you beat them and you don't have to go through the credits after defending your title like I thought you would. It makes the whole process feel less time consuming for me and it's kind of exciting to see who will challenge me after getting to the Champion Chamber. However, the lack of good places to level grind post game is still absolutely awful. And it would be so easy to just have a Double Battle themed restaurant available post-game. It wouldn't be the most ideal way to go about it, but it would have been better than nothing.

I also didn't realize before that none of the Elite 4 or challengers have full teams when you battle them again. This was stupid in X/Y and it is still stupid. There's no good reason why the Elite 4 can't have full teams post storyline. Challengers should definitely have full teams considering that they're trying to take over the title of Champion. At least it's not as bad as the Elite 4 in X/Y, if only because their Pokemon do get a slight level increase, but they really shouldn't be afraid of giving players more full battles late in the game and especially post-storyline.

I enjoyed the game mostly, but I have a few gripes. I didn't like that there wasn't a national Pokédex, as I enjoy the collectathon portion of the series probably more than most. I didn't like the lack of post game story or trainer battles. Also more specifically I didn't like that Mina didn't have a formal trial. Lastly, I hate that they disrespected Silvally, I love that thing (electric Silvally, is best Silvally lol). I think they could have given it the full 600 bst, or they could have at least given memories the extra attack boost like plates.

I tried to go through the Battle Tree a couple of weeks ago, but it was way too hard. I think I only got eight victories before losing. The Battle Tower like facilities are supposed to be challenging, but they just drop you right into hard mode right away, which is pretty different from how the game itself makes things ridiculously easy for players. There still shouldn't be so many trainers with one Pokemon on them in the whole game. I've heard of teams you can make to get through the Battle Tree, but I find it super disappointing that I may not be able to get through it with the teams I've gone through the main storyline with. Plus, it will also still make getting Battle Points incredibly long and tedious.

My complaint with the battle tree isn't so much that every battle tree team has perfect EVs and IVs and (somewhat) competitively viable movesets and items, but the fact that the battle tree will actually load your opponents with teams that take advantage of any stacked weaknesses your team may have. For instance, I ran a team of Tapu Bulu / Heatran / Megagross and something like 80% of the teams I faced had at least one fire type, and I saw the same sun teams over and over again, compared to hardly at all when I used a different team. The battle tree saw that I had no fire resists (ignoring Heatran's flash fire) and decided that it would stack the deck against me. That is my problem with the battle tree.

The level grinding isn't as bad as I thought with using the Lucky Egg and Experience Share. My Primarina is almost at level one hundred. I think it also helps that the challenger can be different every time you beat them and you don't have to go through the credits after defending your title like I thought you would. It makes the whole process feel less time consuming for me and it's kind of exciting to see who will challenge me after getting to the Champion Chamber. However, the lack of good places to level grind post game is still absolutely awful. And it would be so easy to just have a Double Battle themed restaurant available post-game. It wouldn't be the most ideal way to go about it, but it would have been better than nothing.

This is one of my many complaints about lack of post-game content. SOS battles are great for EV training (You only need an SOS chain of 8 if you have Pokerus + EV-boosting held item), but then you gotta do the E4 over and over and over and over again until you get all of the level-up moves you want. Want to try out new team members? E4. Want to complete your Pokedex? You guessed it.

I also didn't realize before that none of the Elite 4 or challengers have full teams when you battle them again. This was stupid in X/Y and it is still stupid. There's no good reason why the Elite 4 can't have full teams post storyline. Challengers should definitely have full teams considering that they're trying to take over the title of Champion. At least it's not as bad as the Elite 4 in X/Y, if only because their Pokemon do get a slight level increase, but they really shouldn't be afraid of giving players more full battles late in the game and especially post-storyline.

Yes. This annoyed me. At least they had decent movesets with good coverage moves the second time around (although seems like most of the new sets are AoA sets, but I guess I can't complain since it's not supposed to be the battle tree).

You're a good trainer to get to eight battles, I got four at most. You should give QR teams a try, they are definetely worth trying, as the battles are neither easy or impossible and you can go toe to toe with your opponents.

you don't have to go through the credits after defending your title like I thought you would

I discovered this today and I was surprised, it's kind of off-character to them, seeing how the credits of gen 5-6 were made more simplistic so we could read them.

You're a good trainer to get to eight battles, I got four at most. You should give QR teams a try, they are definetely worth trying, as the battles are neither easy or impossible and you can go toe to toe with your opponents.

But people should be able to use their story teams viably... no one should be forced to use a competitive team to be on par with the game.

Felt too short and was way to linear.
Further I still don't get the weird damage calculation. Seemed like NPC with low level and not necessarily Type advantage attack could take out my like 15 level higher Pokemon with almost one shot while my high leveler doesn't even do half the damage, even though he should do 4 times and not just on certain Pokemon. It's like every time so.
Then there were to few optional areas and besides that the few that are there aren't always clear. I still haven't found a way down to that one dark area on the map for Melemele.

Felt too short and was way to linear.
Further I still don't get the weird damage calculation. Seemed like NPC with low level and not necessarily Type advantage attack could take out my like 15 level higher Pokemon with almost one shot while my high leveler doesn't even do half the damage, even though he should do 4 times and not just on certain Pokemon. It's like every time so.
Then there were to few optional areas and besides that the few that are there aren't always clear. I still haven't found a way down to that one dark area on the map for Melemele.

There's a small hole to the bottom left of Melemele meadow that you have to squeeze through. Follow the cave down to the bay. I only found by scouring the island for any hidden passages. I certainly would not have come across it by accident.

My complaint with the battle tree isn't so much that every battle tree team has perfect EVs and IVs and (somewhat) competitively viable movesets and items, but the fact that the battle tree will actually load your opponents with teams that take advantage of any stacked weaknesses your team may have. For instance, I ran a team of Tapu Bulu / Heatran / Megagross and something like 80% of the teams I faced had at least one fire type, and I saw the same sun teams over and over again, compared to hardly at all when I used a different team. The battle tree saw that I had no fire resists (ignoring Heatran's flash fire) and decided that it would stack the deck against me. That is my problem with the battle tree.
I used a rental team of Mega Salamence, Ferrothorn, and Terrakion, and I've met at least a dozen Ice-types and Hail teams on the way to my 43rd streak - including a Regice. I'm sick of all the Glalies and Glaceons... and I lost to Alolan Ninetales :/ I get that Salamence's 4X weakness to Ice probably caused those teams to appear, but it gets really disappointing and boring after a while because there's no diversity. I rarely saw any Fighting-types. No Machamps, no Hariyamas, and I only met one Blaziken... The Lucarios that used to be so common suddenly all vanished.

Btw, take a team with at least one pokemon knowing Toxic and see how many Steel-types are thrown at you. The switch is hilariously frustrating.

Aaahh, this made me remember when I fought the exact same girl 3 times in a row, where she had a Machamp with Foresight. It wasn't problematic against my Mimikyu lead, but dang... It was SO GOD DANG OBVIOUS that the Battle Tree wans't finding trainers strong against my team, and just used the same one repeateadly.

Btw, take a team with at least one pokemon knowing Toxic and see how many Steel-types are thrown at you. The switch is hilariously frustrating.
Corrosion? Abuse the system by bringing a lot of moves super-effective against Steel-types?

Also, how do I get QR teams?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom